• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spore to WC3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Do you think it is possible to convert a Spore creature, building, or any other spore model, into a WC3 .mdx file?

For those who don't know, Spore is a computer game with the easist model making tool, ever.

If you have done this before, or have an idea on how to do it. Please let me know :)

Level 45
"The direct exporting of resources from games other than Warcraft III is prohibited. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, World of Warcraft®. No such resources may be submitted to THW. Forum discussions pertaining to the export or editing of resources from other games will be closed."

Also. Spore is a generator, it is NOT a model making tool or program.

Do you think it is possible to convert a Spore creature, building, or any other spore model, into a WC3 .mdx file?

For those who don't know, Spore is a computer game with the easist model making tool, ever.

If you have done this before, or have an idea on how to do it. Please let me know :)

If you can convert it into a format any decent model editing program can use, then sure.

You'd probably only be able to export the mesh though, since textures and animations are all procedurally generated

Level 11
It would be hard. Since models are stored like pictures. Yes. Look in to your My Documents and find My Spore Creations.

So yeah, its very hard.

Level 11
Ye, well its waaaaaaaaaaay easier to make it your self then. Just look how you made it in spore and make it in milshape or whereever.

Level 4
Well me being the lazy bastard I am to learn shit, I thought meh, if I can make this work, be ten times easier, if not more, alongside with more quality models (if your not piss poor at the generator used in Spore).

I was more curious then about to attempt it, but I will say, there are some mixed reviews here. Perhaps someone with the right knowledge should attempt it just to say hey, I proved you wrong biatch ;D.

Level 20
For those who said it wasn't possible your wrong:

sporewc3creature.jpg

Downloaded Spore Creature Maker trial and then made this guy. Afterwords I ripped him and his texture and imported him into Milkshape. And well there you have it. Though I will say this. THESE MODELS ARE NOT WC3 FRIENDLY. This creature was 15k polys and that is way more than wc3 models should be. Just 5k poly models put wc3 to it's limits. If you had tons of these running around and moving you'd have serious graphics issues.

With all that aside it is fully possible but not at all conventional.The game does generate a single texture for the model so that isn't an issue. But your better off making your own.

Level 4
HOLY SHIT! :D thats fucking awesome. lol. Wasn't sure it could be done. But yes, that does make sense...perhaps this is an idea for SC2... :D A game that could handle the polygons.

One question though, did you have to create your own custom movements and animations, or were you able to import them?

Level 4
"The direct exporting of resources from games other than Warcraft III is prohibited. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, World of Warcraft®. No such resources may be submitted to THW. Forum discussions pertaining to the export or editing of resources from other games will be closed."

Also. Spore is a generator, it is NOT a model making tool or program.

Well, First of all it has become clear that no matter that fact that it is a generator, it is possible. Secondly, I would think this is more open-ended. Considering the fact that it is created by you, with trillions of possibilites and there is no true way to completely recreate a model in exact detail.

Yes of course I understand laws and all that sort of shit, meaning that it is still an unnaceptable practice, however don't you think with those kinds of odds of recreation it be acceptable? I mean come on, I bought the game, shouldn't I have a right to use a model 'I' created in any way shape or form i wish, using a trademarked tool purchased by me? It seems only right :p

To me it sounds like buying tools to build a house, you'll still have to build it, and buy the materials, but it will still end up being a house.

{EDIT}
Sadly yes you do have to make your own animations.

I guess that could also be a good thing seeing as some of their animations are fairly childish :)

One final question, do you think it would be easier to use a Spore to SC2transfer (pending it can handle to polygons (which it probably can) for models, or to make them from scratch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 20
Okay I want to know how you did that :D

How I got the model from the game? Or this?

Dr. Super Good said:
You can reduce the tessilisation of the model, it should be possible with only 2K per model or less using a script optimizer.

Personally I wouldn't mind knowing that but it's probably a 3dsmax only thing.

@Blizard of Oz: Yes making your own animations allows for more to be done with the model as far as attacks and stuff goes so that's good. And as for Spore to SC2 that really all depends on the knowledge of the person.

Status
Not open for further replies.