• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
@raid1000
the effect was nice and triggering seems good. but it's not MUI nor MPI. found bug, when i cast storm spell, there was 5 idle worker indication, and when i cast the combine of both spell, there was 30 more idle worker indication. to fix it, maybe you change the dummy unit based from. in this spell, you based it from acolyte, change it to another unit, like ghoul or sorceress.

ok, I've got the spell ideas, I'll finish it quickly.

Level 19
MUI MPI?
how can i make it look like MUI MPI?
and i do destroy targetpoint at the end of storm main...

Its not MUI MPI, its MUI or MPI. One or the other. Not both. MUI is when the spell works for more than one unit at the same time, hence "Multi-Unit Instanceability", and MPI is when the spell works for more than one player at a time, but not with more than one unit per player. When he said it doesn't look MPI or MUI, he meant the triggering didn't look it. Its nothing to do with how the actual spell looks...

Anyways, I started my coding, then when I saved it, I found out NewGen wasn't compiling my map! Any ideas?

Level 10
@raid1000
ok, to make MPI, it's simple. Make an array with each variable you use, but, i think, if you already use variable with array, you must save it with some methods, like separate the variable, and you don't need it for temporary use variable (like point variable for de-leaking that destroyed afterward). then make that array refer to Player Number of Triggering Unit. For periodic trigger, you must make a loop from 1 to 12 then refer the array to number of loop.
here's example trigger if you still confused.

For arraying variable
  • Set Variable[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = (Some setting)
For Periodic Trigger
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Variable[(Integer A)] = (Some setting)
and for MUI methods, [thread=117326]see my thread here to learn it.[/thread]

@Element of water
What is the meaning you NewGen didn't compiling your map? it didn't saved or give error? if the second, check what causing the error and fix it.

Well, I've asked PitzerMike and he just said enable jasshelper, which I had done anyway...

I'll see if making a new map works at all...

EDIT:

Woop, it worked! Thanks for pointing out the obvious, I must have pressed a bad button on that map somewhere. I can't imagine what it'd be like if that happened on a proper map though...

EDIT2:
*sigh* I changed the code once and my problem is back. All I did was add a debug message!

EDIT3:
Yey it works again! It turns out my problem was I couldn't have + or - signs in the name of the map file... dodgy...

Level 15
Wow, there are so many people joining, if about 70% of us finish it on time, Hanky would be in for a bad week :S
Anyway, I would like to say: THANKS FOR JOINING! It's always fun to have lots of people in a contest.
All I can say about my current spell idea is that it would be Pandaren :)
I like Pandarens, they're cute.
Good luck to everyone and may this contest be a blast :D

Level 25
This seems like a good thread to post an advice when making AOE channel spells, if you enable Targeting Image it will show the AOE circle...
I tell this in order to share the knowledge so do not flame if you think this is a stupid advice..
EDIT:
My spells will have 3 elements in them::
ice,fire and force(physical)

And that is all i won't submit until i polish my spells...

Level 22
I started working on a projectile system some days ago and it's nearly complete (bug testing and such left). May I use it in the spell or is it one of those "Large do-it-for-you systems"?

Hopefully ive gotten all the leaks and whatever..

SUBMISSION (till any notice/critique)

Trees of the Seeds

+Synergy

Incinerate

Trees of the Seeds
[ATTACH]49547.vB[/ATTACH] Sprouts trees randomly infront of the Elementalist, entrapping any units caught between them. Trees then turn into treants after a period of time. (If the trees are hit by Incinerate, they will turn into burning treants.)

Level 1 - 8 trees, 26 treant base damage.
Level 2 - 10 trees, 38 treant base damage.
Level 3 - 12 trees, 50 treant base damage.
Incinerate
[ATTACH]49548.vB[/ATTACH] Throws flaming spheres out in a random barrage infront of the Elementalist which explode into flames, burning units caught within them. (If Seeds of the Trees' trees are hit by Incinerate, they will turn into burning treants.)
Level 1 - 6 spheres, 25 initial damage, 5 burning damage.
Level 2 - 8 spheres, 40 initial damage, 10 burning damage.
Level 3 - 10 spheres, 55 initial damage, 15 burning damage.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Level 25
@Just_Spectating
I liked your spell, simple yet efficent...
The things i didn't like:
-Hero level is 1,make it atleast 2 on the start
-Tree spawning points
-You used bunch of dummies(9 total)
-You used a lot of dummy abilities(why do you need magic densify?)
-You could just use Create Special Effect instead of using a dummy unit as a effect
-Make the map explored
-Add more heroes to make it easier to test is it MUI

[lol]
You still have a coment in the Trees of Seeds Cast trigger saying:Default melee game initialization for all players

Here's my submission:
I ironically called my spells for something related to the word "Synergy" :p
Requires "Jass NewGen Pack", I think (Doesn't use any custom jass-functions, but was saved with the NewGen-Editor).

Spell:Type:
Synergy: Throws a magically enhanced orb at an enemy, damaging it and enabeling some extra spell-effects for the caster. Cooldown decreases with level.
Level 1 - Does 50 damage to the target.
Level 2 - Does 75 damage to the target.
Level 3 - Does 100 damage to the target.
MUI

Synergy Spells: This spell damages the targeted unit and enables some spell-effects for the caster. Damage increases and cooldown decreases with level.
Level 1 - Each spell does 50 damage to the target.
Level 2 - Each spell does 75 damage to the target.
Level 3 - Each spell does 100 damage to the target.

Contain: If the targeted unit have the Synergy buff, he will be contained for 3/4/5 seconds.
Hinder: If the targeted unit have the Synergy buff, he will be slowed by 75/100/150% for 15 seconds.
Manifest: If the targeted unit have the Synergy buff, he will take 10/15/20 damage per second for 30 seconds. This spell also ignores Spell Immunity.
MUI

Synergy Wards: Summons an immobile energy ward to cast Synergy randomly at enemy units. The ward is invulnerable and immune to magic. Duration increases with level.
Level 1 - Summons 1 ward. Has level 1 Synergy.
Level 2 - Summons 2 wards. Has level 2 Synergy.
Level 3 - Summons 3 wards. Has level 3 Synergy.
MPI

At least they should work :wink:

EDIT: Small edits to the terrain, the tooltips and a little to the info, nothing that influences how the spells work.

Attachments

• Spell_contest_THW_xXMephistoXx.w3x
    68.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Level 23
Ive missed alot I see... like, 4 pages omygewd since last time I replied.

Welcome to the contest Mephisto :D I've rarely seen you around here before.
If anyone wonders I have been banned to use my computer from Mondays to Thursdays, so, Ill check everything tomorrow.

Looks interesting Mephisto, I am checking tomorrow;)

@Just_Spectating
I liked your spell, simple yet efficent...
The things i didn't like:
-Hero level is 1,make it atleast 2 on the start
-Tree spawning points
-You used bunch of dummies(9 total)
-You used a lot of dummy abilities(why do you need magic densify?)
-You could just use Create Special Effect instead of using a dummy unit as a effect
-Make the map explored
-Add more heroes to make it easier to test is it MUI

[lol]
You still have a coment in the Trees of Seeds Cast trigger saying:Default melee game initialization for all players

-fixed
-its supposed to be random (ill change tooltip)
-theres only 6 :/ the treants arent dummies
-heh, used magic densify for a different method before and forgot to remove it.
-which special effect?
-done
-done

Level 13
Here's my spell for the contest.
DISMAL CHANGE + MAGNUS EXORCISM

Dismal Change:
Turns units in an area into an undead, reducing their speed for a period of time. If unit is already an undead it deals damage.
Level 1 - 20% slow for 10 seconds or 60 damage.
Level 2 - 30% slow for 12 seconds or 120 damage.
Level 3 - 40% slow for 14 seconds or 180 damage.

Magnus Exorcism:
Purifies a target area with the holy property healing allied units inside the holy ground. If an undead enemy enters the area, it receives damage and mini stun every 0.25 seconds that the unit is in the area.
Level 1 - 3% hit point per second, 10 damage, lasts 10 seconds.
Level 2 - 4% hit point per second, 15 damage, lasts 12 seconds.
Level 3 - 5% hit point per second, 20 damage, lasts 14 seconds.

I hope it fits the theme... :xxd:

It doesn't look to good testing it with neutrals. You can't sometimes see the flinching effect on them...

EDIT: Updated... added little effects
EDIT2: Fixed some things...

Attachments

• Magnus Synergy by NV~.w3x
    55.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
@nerovesper
I like the spells, but I have some points to make:
1. "Turn Undead" is the name of spells in several games which cause undead to run away from you. This one turns them into undead? I think you need to either change the spell's name or redo the spell.

2. Usually, undead units don't have more or less attack damage, but just attack or move slower.

3. Maybe Magnus Exorcism should heal friendly living units, or add some positive buff to them, and damage/stun/slow undead rather than just slowing everything that goes in there. I think it would improve the spell, and it would leave you free to carry out my other suggestions.

All in all, good spell, but I think it has some issues with what those "elements" or "forces" you are using usually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.