• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Shadows of the Past v0.9.3.0

md_01.png

md_06.png

md_08.png

md_10.png

md_12.png
md_14.png

Keywords:
RPG, SPRPG, Shadows of the Past, Shadow, Shadows, Past, -Kobas-
Contents

Shadows of the Past v0.9.3.0 (Map)

Reviews
» Vengeancekael:[c] 「Profile :: Hive Staff」 » Reasons: » Comment: Reviewing on request. » Rules: [c] 「Map Submission」 » Contact: [c] 「Staff Contact」 ! 'Reasons' are automated !100%Verdict + Beautiful terrain + Advanced UI + Sounds - Gameplay...
Level 6
Ehh.. you worked a lot on this project, but what new ideas do you dring to the warcraft rpgs? i mean that's simple rpg with slaying tons of monsters, doing quests like "go there, kill that guy, take something from him, get back to get gold coins" or "go to the forest, collect the herbs", or just "go there, kill that guy, i'll give you gold". ok, if there should be such quests, you can make them more interesting. for example - herbs can be moved to different locations of the forest randomly, and so on. And creepcide is too old and i think it's not very interesting. Maybe you should bring more action to your storyline? and removing Anaxes from the town with sorcerer's spell is not a very good idea, i should mention) you better leave the spell to one of the mages)

but that's only my opinion, and i think you will ignore it definitely)

look at this replay(please, watch at the speed of 1x, 'cos i have some comments on it:thumbs_up:)

yeah, that's a spoiler, but here i can show some bugs))

Last edited:
Level 2
Spoiler Alert, not much at all but still...

Hello!

I think im having a problem with the map. I played for an hour or two and when completeing the First main quest(where u are going to find the imperial soldiers etc) When i go back and hand in the quest and when the wizard teleports away, i cant get any further into the game. Its stops there. Been running around for 1 hour.

Please help :)

Level 6
Spoiler Alert, not much at all but still...

Hello!

I think im having a problem with the map. I played for an hour or two and when completeing the First main quest(where u are going to find the imperial soldiers etc) When i go back and hand in the quest and when the wizard teleports away, i cant get any further into the game. Its stops there. Been running around for 1 hour.

Please help :)

this is because of the beta version:ogre_rage:. It has only 1 main and 4 optional quests(i hope more quests will be added soon)

Level 1
godly rpg map, but the critical and bash doesnt work!!!
i hope for faster versions of this map, it's so nice 2 play, love it!

neven hornjak

N

neven hornjak

OMG LEgend of the Seeker Song <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

tv_legend_of_the_seeker03.jpg

Great selection of models and even more of ground tiles. I'm so envious of the possibilities in Single player maps ... :(
I don't see why there are so many people complaining about this having similarities with Gaias Retaliation. I published the map open source back then for a reason - and the terrain and overall quality of the map is very good so I think it gives justice to it.

Looking forward to see more of this, although balancing and overall game systems really need more polish.

Great selection of models and even more of ground tiles. I'm so envious of the possibilities in Single player maps ... :(
I don't see why there are so many people complaining about this having similarities with Gaias Retaliation. I published the map open source back then for a reason - and the terrain and overall quality of the map is very good so I think it gives justice to it.

Looking forward to see more of this, although balancing and overall game systems really need more polish.
Thanks.

I work alone and that's why is progress slow.
I will work on abilities now and gameplay in general.
So expect big progress in new version :)

Just one recommendation and advice I want to give at this point:

Nice unique terrain.
Epic music.
Great gameplay.
Awesome story

Don't use self-praising adjectives in your feature list. It looks weird and creates an immature feel. If you really insist of having something like that in your Map summary, quote player comments. Let players decide and speak for themselves. If your map is good, you won't need any further advertising like that.

Level 1
Just one recommendation and advice I want to give at this point:

Don't use self-praising adjectives in your feature list. It looks weird and creates an immature feel. If you really insist of having something like that in your Map summary, quote player comments. Let players decide and speak for themselves. If your map is good, you won't need any further advertising like that.

Completely agreed.

Level 6
Thanks.

I work alone and that's why is progress slow.
I will work on abilities now and gameplay in general.
So expect big progress in new version :)

ah yeah...
i really need to tell you the circle of power (check point) not working at all even if you activate it and die near in the circle off power you just got respawn in first place again...
and yeah are this is still a demo?
or it's completed?
the demo version i play i just get clear the quest rise of the fallen and then *POOF* it's all gone i can't make it through just hunting the monster...
oh and yeah the quest of the injured bear why i can't accept that quest?
i'm interact with the bear move to the bear but nothing happened...

~EDIT~
oh yeah can you add a save/load system?
when i save my last game i using a ranger i load it again and when it's almost done with the loading and FATAL ERROR
and the save/load system is better you can create a new char and save it and load it later...
oh and add maybe 2 or 3 more jobs :D maybe adding a bandit,tamer,druid,elv tauren,and etc...

Level 37
Hello everyone. Yesterday I was in good mood and I watched few Warcraft 3 cinematics and and played some custom maps. This map was one of my choices. Here are few words about the map.

The beginning was good, I had the feeling this map is going to be a great one. I didn't except nothing less, people have been praising this map lately and this is after all, Hive's Hosted Project.

The beginning was fine, the first cinematic was okay and the hero selection was awesome. When the game actually started I was in a village and I see some guys standing and staring to an empty space. So what do I do? I see there are some quests, but they are so mmorpg style in a single-player game. I took few quests and they were about gathering something and then return. How unoriginal is that? And there's just small amount of background.

About the main quest, after a while I realised there was a guy with "main quest button". So this is how you start the main quest, great. I got the idea that I was violently thrown to a village and my mission is to find a dude that gives you the main quest which is also about finding some other dude somewhere. I started to search this "ancient forest" and this "the perfect swordman"(oh what a ridiculous name). I never got the idea what even was "ancient forest" because everywhere is same type of forest.

So I started to wander and I end up in somewhere, well, nowhere. More I played the game more frustrated I became. Overall what left in my mind after playing the map was that this is an epic grind quest.

Here are shortly few things about the map:

- The class selection was great.
- The map indeed has some great terrain, thanks to born2modificate.
- Fix the music, the looping sucks.
- The respawn systems looks stupid. Especially when a wolf just appears front of you in an instant.
- The world feels so lifeless.
- Communicating with NPCs is so souless and 'mechanical'.

At its current stage, I'll give the map 2 of 5. There are some nice systems, but the worst problem is that the world is so lifeless and the quests are badly done. Optional quests are so lifeless and main quest line isn't any better.

I don't see such an early stage map to be in the map section yet. Even the rules says that "no WIPs" and must be "close to a final product". This map is far from that. If a map moderator doesn't follow the rules, why would you expect anyone else follow rules? It's time to get a grip on yourself and do what moderators should do: either you reject your own map until the game has made some good progress or change the rules of Hiveworkshop.

Level 14

Don't forget the force wall thing,it was weird,and you can't go properly to the castle thing without some terrain leak and some pathing mistakes,but anyway,it's still beta

More stuff
I can put all the terrain you've made is only 2/8 of the whole map,and only 4 quests,so are you gonna make something else inside because 1/10 of that 2/8 is only a village,the rest is a lifeless forest with a low variety of mobs,only boars,wolves,spirits,dark minions,and rarely some quest bandits (if i could remember)

Anyway 2.7/5 for now

Level 1
Hey,Kobas
I really like this map(5/5). it seems like Gaisa Retaliation(terrain,model,music)@.@Very beautiful.
And there is a bug:
I cant learn Brutal Attack(Lvl1), but when I learn Mortal Blow(Lvl1), I had learned the two skills.
If I first learn Mortal Blow(Lvl2) This skill does not appear in my skill book.and I cant learn the skill any more.(and some other skills are also the same)
Suggest: Learning skills(lvl2) need to learn skills(lvl1) first.

i'm trying translate this map into chinese to share with my friends^.^(its complete 50%.)

When I recreated terrain and creeps I forget to fix quests and some other systems so they have some bugs.

Main progress was related to terrain, I'm now working on ability system.
So far it's 33% recreated. When I finish this part I will work on everything else except quests.

Then when I setup everything for next version I will start working on quests :)

So you just skipped what I've said?

That's so unprofessional as a map maker not taking any criticsm and worst of all as a map moderator not following the rules or taking any feedback to improve the current rules. Fine, I'll take this to 'Admin Contact'.
I did not I will replay to your message when I find some time.

EDIT:

It's true, map miss victory defeat conditions, but you can still play it nicely.
I wanted to finish terrain fast so I can create quests after than easily.
I know that quest miss some great gameplay because they are just test quests, examples...
As soon as I finish new abilities and fix everything else except quests (new version coming out -> 01.04.2012.) you should see more dynamic environment.
After that I will have whole month to work on quests.
With finished terrain and improved gameplay it should be easy to spam map with huge number of quests.

I maybe didn't replay to all comments but I read them all.

Last edited:
Level 6
I did not I will replay to your message when I find some time.

EDIT:

It's true, map miss victory defeat conditions, but you can still play it nicely.
I wanted to finish terrain fast so I can create quests after than easily.
I know that quest miss some great gameplay because they are just test quests, examples...
As soon as I finish new abilities and fix everything else except quests (new version coming out -> 01.04.2012.) you should see more dynamic environment.
After that I will have whole month to work on quests.
With finished terrain and improved gameplay it should be easy to spam map with huge number of quests.

I maybe didn't replay to all comments but I read them all.

and please, make some original spells. Not just common "lightning strike" and "freese", "earthstomp" and "stun" etc

Level 6
Originality is pretty hard to have these days :/
Everything has been done before :O

(Except for a decent Tetris map D:)

to make something new is to mix two (or more) old things, shake them up, throw out a half and voila!

you can mix even incompatible things and sometimes it comes out pretty good

And -Kobas-, when will you post the next part of history?!)

Level 28
I must admit: I was a bit skeptical at first.
I've played multiple RPG's which where technically very good, but lacked in gameplay/storyline, or where you don't have that feeling of progression that makes gaming fun.

This game is not one of them: it is technically marvelous and still maintains a nice gameplay. Can't say much about the story right now though.
It also contains that great feeling that, as you progress, you easily kill the lower-level monsters. I always enjoy doing that: returning to low-level places and bashing some skulls just to see how much stronger I've become.

But, as it is still unfinished, there are some flaws (obviously).
One that caught my eye pretty quickly was the lack of information.
I'm not talking about exact spell damage here. I don't mind that you've left out the formula's of the spell effects (such as damage), I blame Blizzard for that (not being able to change tooltips in-game and all). Might be neat to add in a little screen where you can see further info on your spells, but that would just be a fancy gadget for when you're really bored and haven't got anything better to add.
I'm talking about this: a spell says that I need high 'ACV' for some bonus effects. Google tells me that's Apple Cider Vinegar, but I'm going to assume that google has no idea what your game is really about.
Although this might be explained later in the game, or by pressing some shady button somewhere in the game, it might be wise to make a little info-screen one way or the other.

Another one I found is that upon loading a save-file, the order of the buttons (Destruction / Restoration / ... powers) re-arranges. Might want to double-check your icon positions there.

Typo's:
"Conjuraion Powers" (spell book)
"Forbiden Powers" (spell book)
"This character is important part of ..." (tooltip)

In all fairness: there are more typo's. I'm pretty sure of that. I just haven't found them yet (nor was I actively searching for them).

This post is a bit longer than expected (wasn't really supposed to be a review, just a quick message of what I thought of your game up til now, for all the love you gave me :D).
I'll wrap it up here: Great game. Future improvements seem awesome.
When we first met, you were a little peon. You've grown to be a brilliant mapper now, someone to look up to even.

Level 3
Guys, I know that no one cares what I say, but I just wanna make something clear here.

The current version of the map (terrain, quests, story, spells and everything else) is only about 3-5% of the whole thing! It is impossible to say when will the project be completed, but it wont be any time soon, that's for sure (knowing -Kobas-, it will probably never be complete cuz he keeps getting new ideas and constantly changes everything :xxd:).

Anyways, the point is this - this is a very promising map, whose maker is dedicated and hardworking. Despite going to a hard college, -Kobas- manages to take a few hours for SotP every day and post new versions on a monthly basis, not to mention that he makes it almost completely by himself. What I'm trying to say is that if you love to play WC3 and are fan of RPG maps, you'll want to stick around for this.

Be patient and don't post rages about how this sucks or that sucks. Good things take time to grow properly; DotA first started as a project in 2003 and look where it is now - the most massively played map in the world!

Hopefully I got through to some people with this.

P.S. @The_Wizard, the part #2 of the story was posted long ago, but not a single fuck was given. But that doesn't discourage me one bit, because I'll finish it for -Kobas-, not for you (dwellers of the Hive).

:cool:

Last edited:
Level 6
knowing -Kobas-, it will probably never be complete cuz he keeps getting new ideas and constantly changes everything :xxd:

damn. i know that situation. i had about 30 unfinished maps i had deleted some time ago, because i have TOO MANY new ideas and that's why it's hard for me to finish any of them. you don't know how was it hard for me to work ONLY on my current project!

but -Kobas- has gone too far to stop now. i know he won't throw out his SotP.
so we can be assured we will have at least one nice srpg anyway))

sometimes you have so many different ideas that you try to squeeze everything into one map... as i can see for now, -Kobas- have an ability to control his ideas. i hope i'm right)

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
The current version of the map (terrain, quests, story, spells and everything else) is only about 3-5% of the whole thing! It is impossible to say when will the project be completed

Lies... Probably in the next century...

Despite going to a hard college, -Kobas- manages to take a few hours for SotP every day

Lie again! We can count there is 24 hours in a day night is about 10 hours and -Kobas- does SotP about 12 hours per day. Because he sleeps at school so...

Be patient and don't post rages about how this sucks or that sucks.

Lol... that part sucks! Edit it immediatly!

And The_Mirai there is atleast 1 person who listens to you at hive. And where is that Wizard thing by the way haven´t heard about it. And all things above are jokes exept from And The to this word. :)

Level 2
It's a nice map, but:

- Nothing to do with all the gold you get. I have 2.4k gold and nothing to do with it. Need to add more armor, weapons, ability items and perhaps set items that combine when you collect all of them, boat to sail across the water to islands, buy treasure maps that show you where to get treasure from, etc.

- Very glad that I don't die now with 0 Hunger, but now whats the use in buying food now? Maybe make food extremely expensive but they give permanent bonuses? Like increased vision, Night time invisibility, Run faster, heal quickly naturally, etc etc. And once you have eaten ALL the food (a little diagram could show which foods you have eaten and which you haven't), it unlocks some special powerful ability

- Not enough quests. Once you do the 1 main quest and the 3 optional quests, there is absolutely nothing left to do. Need A LOT more optional quests and main quests.

- Needs a lot more variety in monsters / creeps.

- Needs bosses

Level 6
It's a nice map, but:

- Nothing to do with all the gold you get. I have 2.4k gold and nothing to do with it. Need to add more armor, weapons, ability items and perhaps set items that combine when you collect all of them, boat to sail across the water to islands, buy treasure maps that show you where to get treasure from, etc.

- Very glad that I don't die now with 0 Hunger, but now whats the use in buying food now? Maybe make food extremely expensive but they give permanent bonuses? Like increased vision, Night time invisibility, Run faster, heal quickly naturally, etc etc. And once you have eaten ALL the food (a little diagram could show which foods you have eaten and which you haven't), it unlocks some special powerful ability

- Not enough quests. Once you do the 1 main quest and the 3 optional quests, there is absolutely nothing left to do. Need A LOT more optional quests and main quests.

- Needs a lot more variety in monsters / creeps.

- Needs bosses

i thought there were some bosses when i played it last time.:)
you're mad if you think Kobas will stop on 4 quests
have you ever seen food that gives you permanent abilities? maybe only some buffs...

Level 6
i go to try n play this and it will not let me is there any reason why? it acts like it loads then goes right back to where you click start game

Level 14
ok so now it starts to load n just closes

Frank,please refrain from double-posting,and please,take time to read the comments,we have the solution to that problem...

Put all your video settings to high,not low or medium,else,it will crash