• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

School Haircut Policy: Unnecessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm not sure if you guys have these kinds of policies in your schools/universities, but we had this back in high school, and a top-notcher student almost got barred from receiving his diploma at graduation just for not following the school's standards for haircut, just cause of a FREAKING haircut, I mean why? wtf? it doesn't affect studies! and come on Jesus Christ and his apostles had long hairs too(I studied at a Catholic school)

Do you guys feel that these shits are really necessary? I mean it violates the freedom of self-expression and other kinds of shit. I mean the hair can never be too long nor bald(unless for certain conditions).

Anyway whats your stance on this situation? should haircut policies remain as retarded as these remain?

Level 13
I'm homeschooled, which is great because I'm ahead of the game. :p

(If cards are played right, I should graduate with both my High School Diploma and Associates degree.)

Though it's not unusual to have dress codes, the hair thing is a bit ridiculous...

Level 8
That sucks, get some friends, and some molotov cocktail. That's what I would do. But seriously, If that was me, I would go crazy and babble about expression and shit. Schools dun't have right to ban you from expressing yourself.

Level 24
I can understand the administration being upset about it, but withholding his diploma just because of his hair sounds like a show of power to convince other students to fall in line. Private can do whatever they want, though.

No dress code here, and I'd hate to have one, let alone restrictions on hair length... that's just over the top.
You mean no required dress styles. All schools have some loose (lol, irony) form of dress code that needs to be adhered to.

Level 8
my hair was in high school and still is now over a foot long. the school has no authority to require a set length of hair unless it was something like a mo hawk or some k ind of hair coloring that was done for the intention to attract attention. you can not require a male to cut his hair while allow females to have longer hair since that can be considered sexist and very well may be from one standpoint. now, this does not mean private schools cant do this... if your paying for a private school they can tell you to shave your head bald because you dont have to go to that school but you are paying to stay in it. a public school may have the authority to force a specific set of formal wear while in school but requiring someone to cut their hair can not be enforced as it is exactly the same as if the school was to deny a graduate his or her diploma due to severe acne. it just can not happen.

I also look like Jesus btw, I may be only 19 but i got the hair and beard going on. I bet if I slapped on a white robe and could summon doves to do my bidding people would probably think I really was.

Level 24
I also go to a private school (an anglican one), and they also have a hair policy. All they are doing is trying to get a good reputation, and trying to make its students look respectable. I personally don't really have a problem with that, but I do agree that they go to far with enforcing it. I mean I know some kids at my school who have gotten suspended for a week because their hair was too long.

Level 4
the diploma issue was cause it overlapped with 2 school policy violations

eg:
defiance of authority (for not cutting the hair even after being told to do so)
violation of haircut policy (for having long hair in the first place)

my old school was pretty much nazi on every tiny little detail and everything that could convince you otherwise to do what they told you..

Level 34
We got you-can't-sleep-with-your-teacher rules, but no dress codes. Dress codes are for those tea-drinking elitist schools.

Dress codes symbolizes discipline and discipline is effective against young people so they wont become owners of a fastfood place.

Level 35
My school is supposed to be an elite, extra-tolerant school. We even have classes for disabled people, ethnic groups, etc.

A girl used to attend my school, she was one class above me. She had short hair, always painted blue. One day, the director told her to change her hair-style, because it was "too eccentric." She apologized, went home and painted her hair dark-green. Next day, she was fired, even tough we don't have any policies for haircut.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Being home-schooled must be great. Yeah, you don't get to meet some new people, but that is not the only way of meeting people. That'd be, in my opinion, the least of the cons.
Each day I loose about 20 minutes on my way to school, and another 25 on my way back (I follow another path). That is, in total, 225 minutes a week, almost 4 hours! Yes, bus can be a solution, but it can also be a pain. Three years ago I would go to school by bus (an experience that lasted for 3 months) and it was horrible, there'd be times when the bus was full and the driver would let nobody else in, I nearly got past the "absent points" on a subject thanks to that.

Besides, if you're able to be home-schooled then you've got to have a lot of money. I'm not sure if private teachers even exist in my country, at least not with the power to give you a diploma.
But that's just me, I don't like the education system in my country.

EDIT: Oh by the way, I apologize for having went (slightly) off-topic here.

Level 34
Being home schooled sucked. It sucked the big one. I did it for one year, and I finished my last course the day before I went back to private school. We wore a uniform there, and it freaking rocked, I never had to think about what to wear, and I just bought comfortable dress clothes. To actually be on topic, we couldn't dye our hair odd colors, and they'd probably get mad if we never showered, but length was optional.

Level 24
We got you-can't-sleep-with-your-teacher rules, but no dress codes. Dress codes are for those tea-drinking elitist schools.

Dress codes symbolizes discipline and discipline is effective against young people so they wont become owners of a fastfood place.
So you could show up for class wearing nothing but a speedo and they wouldn't be able to do anything but whine about it? There is no such thing as a school without a dress-code; there are schools with loose dress-codes, schools with strict dress-codes, and schools with uniforms.

My school is supposed to be an elite, extra-tolerant school. We even have classes for disabled people, ethnic groups, etc.
Someone is missing the irony there. Separate classes for ethnic groups? Anyone, let me know if you need me to point it out.

A girl used to attend my school, she was one class above me. She had short hair, always painted blue. One day, the director told her to change her hair-style, because it was "too eccentric." She apologized, went home and painted her hair dark-green. Next day, she was fired, even tough we don't have any policies for haircut.
That's a bit ridiculous. Also, suspended/expelled?

Level 4
Private can do whatever they want, though.
if your paying for a private school they can tell you to shave your head bald because you dont have to go to that school but you are paying to stay in it.
oh so the private can do what they want?
then damn those poor kids in private schools really have no choice but to abide by the dimwitted rules

cause people here have no choice when it comes to standards of education mainly because the public schools here are a mess (blame the government)
so we'd really have to study in private schools

Level 27
Being home-schooled must be great. Yeah, you don't get to meet some new people, but that is not the only way of meeting people. That'd be, in my opinion, the least of the cons.
That's because they're all locked up. If more people would home school, there would be more people to socialize with.
Additionally, if everyone was home schooled, I can see better options for socialization emerging.
Besides, if you're able to be home-schooled then you've got to have a lot of money. I'm not sure if private teachers even exist in my country, at least not with the power to give you a diploma.
In my country (state?), the government gives you $1500 for educating a child. The way I'm set up, we give that to a professional as payment, and they take care of all the stuff effectively.
Yeah public schools usually don't give a damn about anything, especially education.
Hey! It's not your job to think! Get back to your mindless data processing and storage, drone!
then damn those poor kids in private schools really have no choice but to abide by the dimwitted rules
Or go somewhere with better rules.

I have yet to see sound reasoning to have a hair policy.

Well there was the one about cooking, but that applies to places that actually serve food, and even then there are alternatives.

Level 7
My high school had hair rules. They weren't frequently enforced and that was the idea: You wait till everyone is confident they're gonna get away with it and BAM! 'You can't enter.'" We also had to wear uniform.

Seems fair enough. It's time that ppl learn that they can't just not do whatever they want. There's this thing called hierarchical order.

Level 14
My middleschool had uniforms. They sucked. Aside from the fact that they were hideous they were also of poor quality. During the fall and winter months where I live we get strong winds and those winds would just go straight through our uniforms. The jackets they had (uniforms as well) didnt help either. During those months I would hang out in the bathroom and use the air dryer to warm up. Put my jacket sleeve over the nozzle and turned it on. Warmed me right up and felt good too :D although the smell was awful...

Never had any restrictions on hair thankfully. But I wouldn't be surprised if they made such restrictions in the future.

Level 11
i can do wuteva i wanna do with ma cloths.
it be awesome. Once i came to school with a skirt, a pants underneath it and a shirt. My hair was fixated towards Mekka and i was walking bare foot and my to big toes had toe rings!!!!
awesome

Not really that awesome actually, since you'd look like a freak.
Yea if you did that at my school you would be shot and or jumped.

Level 34
We wore the girls kilts/skirts for a day at school. The Principle just laughed at us. One teacher wouldn't let us in her classroom though.

Level 24
God damn sexist. END THE OPPRESSION OF MEN CHOOSING TO WEAR FEMALE ATTIRE!

Saw the pics btw, hilarious xD

Dresses are completely sexist in the first place. Men have something between their legs they need the space for, women don't. It's worse for a woman to be exposed than a man, and dresses are wide open even if they do fold in on themselves. Finally, dresses don't even need to be taken off for sex.

Last edited:
Level 12
Meh.

In our schools, you can dress or style yourself pretty much any way you want, unless you come to school in something that's above your knees (mini-skirts, shorts etc.).

Still, you should be able to have certain aspects of freedom anywhere. I almost fainted when I heard that you get expelled from college in the US if you are caught smoking, even outside, in an another country, or even if one of your professors sees you in your own home (smoking).

So yeah. No freedom of speech, no freedom of choice, no freedom at all. But of course, that's for your own good. God forbid that you form your own opinion. Just melt in with the masses.

Last edited:
Level 34
Japut3h, so all the girls are forced into sluthood? Where do you live again? I've a hankering to go back to school.

Level 11
Still, you should be able to have certain aspects of freedom anywhere. I almost fainted when I heard that you get expelled from college in the US if you are caught smoking, even outside, in an another country, or even if one of your professors sees you in your own home (smoking).

Wait what?? Please show some proof of this, also is the said to be expelled someone under 18?

Level 24
If you're caught smoking what? Unless it's freezing outside, you can't take two steps on Auraria Campus in Denver without seeing a cigarette in someone's hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.