• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

School Haircut Policy: Unnecessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I was just gonna say, and every college kid smokes pounds of dope a year, so to hell with them throwing you out for that?

In Boulder, depending on if it's the Highway Patrol or local enforcement that catches you, certain amounts of marijuana are also perfectly legal. Not to mention they can't possibly throw out everyone that stands around on 4/20.

Level 12
In Boulder, depending on if it's the Highway Patrol or local enforcement that catches you, certain amounts of marijuana are also perfectly legal. Not to mention they can't possibly throw out everyone that stands around on 4/20.

As far as I've heard, you're expelled as soon as someone has proof of you being a cigarette smoker in Missouri.

Level 12
Huh. I've never heard of that before....

It's really stupid, since there are no real legal grounds for it (?).

No idea, to be honest.

I've just heard that from a number of people that live in Missouri. The same people treated smoking as I'd probably treat heavy alcoholism or a complete pothead. "No smoking if you're a student, if they catch you, the least you can get is a suspension" is the exact quote of what I've heard.

Level 34
Huh. I've never heard of that before....

It's really stupid, since there are no real legal grounds for it (?).
Pretty sure BC has something against smoking on campus. I'm too lazy to look it up though.

All the exchange students from Korea smoked at our school. Probably to help with pressures. They just went off campus a little ways.

Level 4
I think this thread should be renamed as ridiculously-dimwitted school policies that are totally unnecessary and have little to no effect what so ever to the performance of students(except for drug-related regulations)

Level 34
I don't agree with you. Having things like uniforms and hair policies help education, why would they bother if it didn't?

Level 24
Uniforms work against fierce individuality, which has both pros and cons.

It's so weird going from long hair to shorter hair.

Level 26
There's no noticeably impending dress code or hair policy at my school, except for marching band, where they cut off or tie up hair from the collar down for parades and football games.

I did, however, go to an elementary school that did have one (navy, white, or khaki for shirts and pants) for 2 years or so.

To be quite honest, I really wouldn't mind having a uniform policy. I personally think it can look neat sometimes, and among all the methods of expressing myself, my attire plays a pretty minor role.

Level 36
Because in high school not everyone has the same financial situation. Some people are poor and others are well off. In college everyone is broke.

Nobody wants to be judged because they can't afford better clothing. This is supposedly the basis for uniforms, and also why they are found predominantly in Catholic schools. In private schools, it's obviously a means of control.

Level 34
Try Chilliwack. Farmer gangs ftw.
Actually we have the UN which is a native gang. They shot a hells angel and had to go into hiding. :p

Level 2
I have long hair and i can and could wear whatever i wanted in school.
btw.. in high school we had uniforms with sucked monkey balls hardcore!

Level 24
Arvada, CO has a lot of white people that think they're black and a lot of black people that think they're in L.A., which is a Hispanic town anyways (lol). Denver has gangs, but other bigger cities have it worse.

Level 6
My school is supposed to be an elite, extra-tolerant school. We even have classes for disabled people, ethnic groups, etc.

A girl used to attend my school, she was one class above me. She had short hair, always painted blue. One day, the director told her to change her hair-style, because it was "too eccentric." She apologized, went home and painted her hair dark-green. Next day, she was fired, even tough we don't have any policies for haircut.

The problem with that stuff is you can get sued over that. A lot of schools don't realize that they can be help legally responsible for violating human rights. On that note most people can't afford a lawyer hence why the rich kids get away with more shit than the poor ones.

Level 24
The problem with that stuff is you can get sued over that. A lot of schools don't realize that they can be help legally responsible for violating human rights. On that note most people can't afford a lawyer hence why the rich kids get away with more shit than the poor ones.
They can also be sued for asdfsfdsassd, I'm not going to ruin it. You figure it out, but I'll give you a hint that it's ironic beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

Level 11

In the U.S. every is entitled to a lawyer, constitution no?

Level 15
Isn't the law about private schools something like "...If you want to pay $10,000 a year for your childs education, then we run the show, otherwise, send them to public school where they can do whatever the hell they want..."

Private schools, as long as they have a mandatory fee, can violate your rights (as long as they don't endanger yours or anyone elses life. They also can't exploit you or your classmates publicly.

Then again, what would I know?

Level 24
Isn't the law about private schools something like "...If you want to pay $10,000 a year for your childs education, then we run the show, otherwise, send them to public school where they can do whatever the hell they want..."

Private schools, as long as they have a mandatory fee, can violate your rights (as long as they don't endanger yours or anyone elses life. They also can't exploit you or your classmates publicly.
Yes (basically), but that's not what I'm talking about.

Level 15
I know, this is just aimed at those people who are like "omg private schools are violating your freedoms!" Which is total bullshit, cuz I mean, what kind of school would make you pay them and then not claim any rights over your kids?

Level 34
Private schools in Canada can't make their own rules apparently. I've brought this up before, and I will again.

There was a gay couple that went to a Catholic school (private of course), and they wanted to go to the dance together. The school obviously said no because it violates the foundation that the school is built on. They kids went to the supreme court and the school was forced to allow them to come to the dance. Now why these guys were at a Catholic school in the first place is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.