• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scariest Game Moments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
The fog room was still pretty scary, IMO.

In any case, Fatal Frame 2. All of it. It was one huge scarefest. And it was awesome. It's not fake startling scary bullshit like FEAR or Resident Evil. It's truly the epitome of horror video gaming.

Level 6
Even though Wii doesn't have great graphics quality, The Ju On game (the grudge in english) scared the hell out of me ... Even that boy, toshiyo, running around all the time, taking you to more clues scared me even more!

Hair! Hair!... Full of Hair where she is.... @_@ *Zombified*

Level 9
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but The Call of Cthulhu was a pretty interesting game. I didn't find it all that "scary" but the story is really interesting and can give a pretty scary sense. I'd rather recommend the book itself but the game was worth a play in my opinion.

Level 34
In any case, Fatal Frame 2. All of it. It was one huge scarefest. And it was awesome. It's not fake startling scary bullshit like FEAR or Resident Evil. It's truly the epitome of horror video gaming.
You only say that because it's some obscure game that no one knows. :p

Level 9
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but The Call of Cthulhu was a pretty interesting game. I didn't find it all that "scary" but the story is really interesting and can give a pretty scary sense. I'd rather recommend the book itself but the game was worth a play in my opinion.

Haha, yeah, I mentioned the part in the hotel where the locals decide you're gunning for the Dagon cult. Too bad the game is actually a prequel to the book... but it was a good enough game. The Shoggoth boss fight was lame and the Deep Ones made me laugh most of the time when they weren't mauling me.

Level 26
You only say that because it's some obscure game that no one knows. :p
Play it. You'll understand.

Also, the more general video game-centric forums like The Escapist are well-familiar with games like Deus Ex and Fatal Frame 2. Fatal Frame 2 is actually on plenty of "Scariest Games of All Time" lists on video game critique sites.

So no, I wouldn't say it's THAT obscure.

Level 3
My personal "favorites" here are the first part of Clock Tower 3 (Sledgehammer) and in Dino Crisis when all of a sudden you hear a crashing sound, and then Regina (your character) turns her head just to face a dinosaur who burst in from an adjacent room. Especially when it happens somewhere where you know there aren't any dinos around. Not funny, game.

And one more thing: Calling, a game for Nintendo Wii. I didn't even play it, I merely watched someone else do it (on Youtube) and even so it was scarier than 99% of the games I've played myself.

Level 11
Doom 3...... especially with surround sound, at night, and by yourself... whew.. so much stuff scares me in that game that i hardly past the beginning :p

Level 26
i was mostly kidding msbb, but i'll give it a look.
:D

Level 4
Playing Teletubbies: Land of happy bunnies IV. There are liek bunnies and then you hear somekind of noise. The ¤%!"ing land of happy bunnies bursts into flames!!!!!!

True story this time. I was about 10 years old. It was already dark outside and i was home alone. I was playing Half Life 2 with headphones when it first came out. So, in Ravenholm, when you first meet the fast zombies. I ran up to a roof of a building, but the zombie climbed up a pipe. So i thought i would be safe in the building. For that reason i closed the door ..... BUT THE ZOMBIE CAME THROUGH THE CEILING!!!!

And YES my english does suck.

Level 9
Ah, Ravenholm.. we don't go to Ravenholm. I just hated the head-crabs!

Another scary moment for me was Dead Space, in the first chapter, where the atmosphere was just perfect for the whole game, and you had to move to repair the train.. there was just this loud keening, wounded moan or something more akin to a roar that you can hear from the starting point. I started sweating from that point on >.< Although I'm sure a lot of people aren't afraid of that game, I sure was. And it happens to be based on one of my favorite books of all time, Solaris.

Level 17
The sweat beading on your brow, each second lasting an eternity, you desperately mash the A button on the gamepad resting in your tired, sweaty hands, forcing your little green avatar to roll again and again and again. In the distance the howl of a wolf pushes your fragile mental state to the brink. That which you seek is mere feet in front of you, only a few more rolls and you'll be there, but alas your sweat covered thumbs slip, leaving the long-eared hero standing there as if pondering his existence, you fruitlessly right your misplaced digits to continue your repetitive action, only for the large wooden mass to raise up at the last second, the drawbridge closing with a thud. With nothing to stop your last desperate roll you plummet into the river below. As you pull your aching wet body from the murky waters, you lift your weary head, the Skullkid raises his sword. You dream of Zelda...

Level 11
............................DOOM...............3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said, no other game i've played even competes with DOOM 3 for its shear horror!

Level 2
The sweat beading on your brow, each second lasting an eternity, you desperately mash the A button on the gamepad resting in your tired, sweaty hands, forcing your little green avatar to roll again and again and again. In the distance the howl of a wolf pushes your fragile mental state to the brink. That which you seek is mere feet in front of you, only a few more rolls and you'll be there, but alas your sweat covered thumbs slip, leaving the long-eared hero standing there as if pondering his existence, you fruitlessly right your misplaced digits to continue your repetitive action, only for the large wooden mass to raise up at the last second, the drawbridge closing with a thud. With nothing to stop your last desperate roll you plummet into the river below. As you pull your aching wet body from the murky waters, you lift your weary head, the Skullkid raises his sword. You dream of Zelda...

Epic post is epic

Level 17
............................DOOM...............3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said, no other game i've played even competes with DOOM 3 for its shear horror!
I lol'd

Moreover, the most creepy moment of my gaming... It must be either the hospital or the family house in Siren Blood Curse, both of which you play the little girl. I literally sat in a clauset for half an hour(not kidding) because a shibito was watching TV outside, and I'd have to sneak out about 1 meter behind it. Did I mention random patrol routes? No? Well, there you have it.

If you haven't played Forbidden Siren or Siren Blood Curse(the remake of Forbidden) then you need to. They are really creepy.

Level 4
Here's what happened to me today in Penumbra 2: Black Plague...
I was in the sewer, not really much going on, and suddenly, my character falls unconscious. Then I find myself in the blurred ship room from the first game, solving a puzzle. Puzzle done. Then, the room f*cks up, walls turn red, rays of sun turn into blood lines. Finished a second puzzle. Then, a DEAD DOG appears in the room, along with two concrete hands that seem to beg something. A voice in my character's head says "sacrifice..." So I put the dog on the hands AND WTF SOME RANDOM SH*T HAPPENS!
After that, I find myself in a room that looks like a generic hallway... from Silent Hill, which means red walls, more concrete hands on the walls, and of course, metal wires. Blah, Blah, yada, yada, finished puzzle... but then. OOOOOH, then. I'm standing in front of a metal door, with intense music, something screeching and banging on the door. I turn around, and see a complete abyss, with floating platforms all over the place. I jump around on them like a retard and... I got to the random floating room. Now I'm in the room, and music GETS EVEN MORE INTENSE, something is banging on THAT DOOR AS WELL, and... it gets in. I'm not going to say what is it, nor what was my reaction. Just saying that I layed on the bed shivering for 15 minutes after that.

Level 9
He obviously said it that way purposely, leet... But hey, I really don't see how WoW combat is scary.

Level 9
Oh yes, so absolutely terrifying... what more recent games do you guys know of that have got some of these sort of moments?

Level 9
Exactly my thought. Which is why I asked if anybody knew any recent games that were remotely scary, like in the gloreh days <:D AND I don't mean the damn pop-ups that movies and games seem to rely so much on today...

Level 17
He obviously said it that way purposely, leet... But hey, I really don't see how WoW combat is scary.

If he were anyone else that would be obvious, but wereguy2 is a few fries short of a happy meal. We're trying to get him on the right track, but it takes a lot of work.

Level 22
Ok I have a word to say here it's about sc2 campaign so

I like Ariel Hanson and i'm used to seeing her as human, I chose to help her thus didn't complete the mission that you choose to help the protoss. As I was browsing and found where the campaign and storymode models are located... I saw a mutated version of her.

I then played that mission to see it as she's apparently in the cinematic and i got terrified by her look, you should see her jaws and legs and arms. Like I said i didn't know she turned into these if you didnt help her...

that was the msot scary considering after that I watched '4th kind' movie so this became too much that day

dab

dab

Level 10
Back on-topic. The recent game that freaked me the hell out was F.E.A.R 2. I could only take approx. 30 minutes every day, then I'd have to close it to not shit my pants. Don't be on skype or teamspeak or shit, and it will become scary :)

EDIT: And I usually like to play scary games, just to make my friends go "ARRGH, WTF! I DON'T WANNA PLAY MORE!"

Level 3
Have anyone played Fatal Frame? all three parts are as scary as a game can be (these Japanese horror games are awesome) the scariest part was the second (the crimson butterfly) if you play the hardest level you get to the secret boss who'll make you regret playing the game.
Silent hill is scary too.
Hunting Grounds had its moments even though it was more creepy than scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.