• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rise of the Lich King

Campaign by: Armelior

This is the legacy version
The remaster which is better in every way is available here

Keywords:
king,lich,warcraft,frozen,throne,alternate,story
Contents

Rise of the Lich King (Campaign)

Reviews
VGsatomi: Approved. An old but good campaign.
Level 2
I did not like the campaign only because the story does not make any sense. The one part of the story face a huge contradict with the original because the Admiral was slayed by the Thrall forces so the Alliance and Horde reached a peace pact. Second ,the core idea is that Lich King control the scourge from the Icecrown Citadel ,his attendance in the Island is out of concern.
The Lich King's objective is to keep the scourge on balance and not to lead them into assault unless there is no important reason.
In the end ,"the fall of the Lich" ended up in a ridiculous way. Ner'Zul and Arthas are one ,Ner'Zul cannot appear anymore in the brain of Arthas like it did before. Ner'Zul spirit lives as one heart the power of the Lich cannot diminish but rather than ending up as a dead character.
Thanks for the effort but not worthy to play it.
Thanks for understanding :)

Level 2

I did not like the campaign only because the story does not make any sense. The one part of the story face a huge contradict with the original because the Admiral was slayed by the Thrall forces so the Alliance and Horde reached a peace pact. Second ,the core idea is that Lich King control the scourge from the Icecrown Citadel ,his attendance in the Island is out of concern.
The Lich King's objective is to keep the scourge on balance and not to lead them into assault unless there is no important reason.
In the end ,"the fall of the Lich" ended up in a ridiculous way. Ner'Zul and Arthas are one ,Ner'Zul cannot appear anymore in the brain of Arthas like it did before. Ner'Zul spirit lives as one heart the power of the Lich cannot diminish but rather than ending up as a dead character.
Thanks for the effort but not worthy to play it.
Thanks for understanding :)

..First of all, who said this campaign is connected to the original campaign in any sense...? Secondly, you seem unaware of that some of the highest rated campaigns on this site is in fact self-made story-wise, are you gonna go complain on those as well? That alone is no reason at ALL to dislike this campaign. Also, funny how you only mention the negative, like there's nothing positive and fun about this campaign at all. The terrain was great, the missions were entertaining and they were unique. I mean, how often do you get to defend against humans as Naga? Hell, how often do you even GET to PLAY as the Naga??.. Instead of only seeing the negative (according to you), try to see the positive as well. Hard to take you seriously when you only mention the negative.

Level 2
..First of all, who said this campaign is connected to the original campaign in any sense...? Secondly, you seem unaware of that some of the highest rated campaigns on this site is in fact self-made story-wise, are you gonna go complain on those as well? That alone is no reason at ALL to dislike this campaign. Also, funny how you only mention the negative, like there's nothing positive and fun about this campaign at all. The terrain was great, the missions were entertaining and they were unique. I mean, how often do you get to defend against humans as Naga? Hell, how often do you even GET to PLAY as the Naga??.. Instead of only seeing the negative (according to you), try to see the positive as well. Hard to take you seriously when you only mention the negative.

Oh...here you come...
It is not about defending humans it is about that how Ner'Zhul and Arthas are ONE ! There is no the whisper of Ner'Zhul anymore ,he could have slayed his beloved with one shot without interruption lol
The assassination of Lich could have been more interesting. The pact would be made by Alliance & Horde not just a fraction of it ;)

Level 3
Great campaign, it was one of the best I've ever played I must say, it wasn't too easy and it had some nice jokes once in a while, but at some points it was a little too hard and I wasn't in the mood to spend time and do my best for one small point, and some things were in French, all that I couldn't understand I knew or it didn't matter (for an example in the bonus a skeleton was in French but I can live with that as I know almost all units with full names from the top of my head)

Level 19
This game was boring and glitch.

Plus, how could you kill the main character, Illidian.

It was glitch because I wasn't able to upgrade my units or build siege works in certain maps, yet my enemy had fully upgraded troops and siege works.

Other glitches are.... some of the game is easy at points, for example, I destroyed the undead portals before the timer expired...

The map lay out is also a bit bizarre, because in certain places you actually have to search out the natural enemy units... instead of avoiding them I had to find them before I could kill/avoid.

The story line wasn't totally boring, it had a lot of good ideas in there, but how could you end the game the way you did. That totally sucks, the bad guy basically killed himself... that's totally gay

Level 4
The overall dialogue in the campaign is incredibly bad. The worst part was when Lady Vashj captured Sylvanas and warned Kael to not let her be their ally. She then had a mood swing within seconds which is absurd. Construction of a sentence is bad, grammar is bad. Half of the subtitles / hints are in French. Also, some subtitles in a cinematic are insanely fast and it is not possible to read what character said which ruins the storyline. Terrain ain't bad and gameplay is really good.

Last edited:
Level 4
Just finished it. So let's see.
What disappointed me the most was that it didn't follow up the real story and that the characters were not the same.
Like... Sylvanas for example. There is no way she would've made team with humans and nagas.
Another thing is the grammar/spelling errors and too many times I saw french words/sentences. I found like 3/4 bugs, I won't start to explain them because there is no way someone's gonna try to fix/update this old campaign. I saw many guys saying this campaign was difficult, I, for one, can't say that it really was. Only mission 4 and 8 we're a little difficult. I mean, not difficult, just require 1-3 hours of playing to finish them. It took me 2 hours and 30 minutes to finish the 4th mission, and 1 hour and a little to finish the last one.

Didn't like that much the story either, the end was a *facepalm*.
Lich King dying because Arthas remembers Jaina? Hell no, please!

Some of the missions, like the first one, had too little texture space for the "crew" to move thru. If you have 2 groups it's kinda impossible to fight using 40% of them. As you can see there are plenty of things I didn't like. But I had fun tho, I really had. Some of the missions were really fun, some not (like the 4th), but that's life.
And I liked the scene where that random guy comes and picks up the Lich King's armor and sword. And I laughed when the Abomination was hitting that Necromancer and he said "Hey, stop hitting me!" or something like that. XD

I give it 3/5 because I had fun. If there would've been no random french words in the game I would've given it 4.

**EDIT** Oh, and I forgot to say about the dialogues. Were way too fast most of the times!
***EDIT 2nd***
And... what's up with Iron Forge? Why did I play 2 hours beating that mission? After that mission, there was nothing about that. It was too random that shit. Why did they conquer Iron Forge in the first place if they will not use it in the next missions? That reminds me of Gilneas and the Forsaken in WoW. Rofl.

Last edited:
Level 1
great campaign

great campaign man really i can see your effort while doing this but don't you think the all mighty lich king's death was a little lame ? I mean he died because he couldn't kill Jaina ? And why arthas was executed ? He is the greatest warcraft character and he's killed by some sea snake, a homeless prince and a ghost ? Campaign was good but storyline and dialogues were not that great and my only advice is that you should work on that.But again it was really great to play my favorite characters again in a different story and i am waiting for a second campaign which continues from the peasant wields frostmourne :D

Level 1
I would like an alternative campaign based than the died and the fight with the orcs and night elves

Level 15
I enjoyed every moments of this campaign, the story and the cinematics are well-made, too. :wink:

Terrain

It was beautifully done, perfectly fits the story.
Units

Mostly I liked the Lich Kings's abilities, and the other units. I was glad that I could train Naga Royal Guards.

Story
I liked where the sotry was going and when I had to defeat Anub'arak. The first map was good, too. And the cinematics are nice, the chose of songs was also great.

However, sometimes I see french language in the cinematics, which makes some parts harder to understand, sorry. And I would have enjoyed playing with the Lich King more. Finally, althought I liked the ending, it should have been longer: the defeat of the Lich King should be a bit longer, so you can practice to defeat him and not only see a cinemaitc of it.

But, apart from this, it is a really great campaign, there is lot of work in it, and one of my favourite was when the villager picks up Ner'zhul's helmet at the end. :thumbs_up:
5/5, of course

Level 1
It's better then what Blizzard is doing with universe now. Constant retcons, character derailment (Thrall, for example), etc. Not an excellent campaign, but solidly good.

Level 4
First fan made campaign I've played. I was trying to find something that looks decent and interesting. Overall I think you did good building a story, levels, objectives and conversations of the characters keeping their personalities.

Issues found:
  • Some things were written in another language which I don't think was elf talk. I presume just some translations got missed.
  • On last level after taking Lich's base down before Dreadord's, Sylvanas disappears. I don't think this was intended.
The ending with Arthas felt a bit kiddish, but not bad. So I'm willing to over look that. Since I know how hard it is story building.

Did some nice joke outtakes like end of Reign of Chaos.

Can't think of anything else but 5/5 for me.

Level 21
Commenting so I can properly rate this campaign after playing - there is a full playthrough on my YT channel.

Overall, I found the premise and story of this campaign quite engaging (ignoring minor translation issues, which do not affect how I rate campaigns). Ultimately, I enjoyed my time overall, but found map 4 in particular incredibly irritating, and not just because the map was very large. The cannon tower spam combined with very small chokepoints through what was supposedly a 'backdoor' made ground attacks particularly hard to make work.

Again, overall pretty fun, but lacking some polish that would make the difficulty less frustrating and more rewarding - not making it easier, but changing certain aspects that make it difficult (map 4 observations above for example).

Level 2
Send me the script and I can fix any grammatical arrows for you. Gobelins -> Goblins, Therfore -> Therefor, etc...

Level 2
I'm at mission 6 and it actually just keeps getting worse. You should have paid more attention at school during english class, your french accent is showing. 'Ennemy' every time, etc. It's actually so bad that it's distracting from the campaign, which is otherwise quite good.

Level 21
Maybe lay off the non-native English speaker. The creator of this is clearly French... the only other alternative would be this campaign entirely in French with us English-only folks not being able to follow it at all. We should be grateful he at least tried to run his maps through an auto-translator, which clearly was not super accurate.

A lot of the creators here are ESL, or completely non-English speaking for that matter. If it distracts you from the campaign then that's valid criticism, but the creator doesn't need to be insulted for you to convey that.

Level 10
I enjoyed it a bit, and the campaigns seems to be well made, but need final polishing.
chater 6 had some bugs in it, where chapter 6's "keep protecting the portal" quest gets re happening (the scene) and sometimes Kelthuzad and his troops disappear completely leaving only the shade available.
Also so many grammar mistakes, but ignorable. Oh, and I almost forgot, chapter 4 is really hard and disturbing. Too long, and so many attacks in every settlement you get. Almost gave me cancer trying to win:vw_death::vw_death:
There is a big room for improvements...

Level 29
My review

-The campaign is quite interesting in terms of plot, the missions are variable which is good. The only mission that is quite useless is the one with the emissary to the Horde, since it proves futile.
-The grammar needs to be fixed as there appears to be some mixes with french
-I like the cliffhanger at the end
-I enjoyed the credit cinematic

Level 5
I remember playing this years ago. I am right now on chapter 6.
First chapter was totally easy and so small. You really can't lose it^^

Second chapter was difficult at first and I needed a retry for it.
But then in the end it was also not difficult to accomplish.
4 ghouls per attack is a joke tbh.

Fourth chapter was annoying and I actually cheated my way through it because
I know it is very time consuming getting through it.
How are you supposed to convert a dwarf without a banshee or charm?
I don't know. There is also no information in the tooltip.
I don't like it at all how the map is built and inside ironforge was barely guarded.

Chapter 5 was good. It was challenging a bit but not too much because inside the harbor there
are so many ships that makes it a lot easier. The enemy ships somehow didn't want to destroy
my base until the last minute which I found strange.
They just turned around when they arrived in my base. I also didn't find out what the optional quest is because I was too buisy defending.
I'm not sure what's the point in placing an optional quest there.

Chapter 6: I liked it. Terrain was appealing to me. It was challenging keeping the portal alive.
I dislike the 2nd optional where you just have to move to the grave and then you get
10 units which I didn't even need to finish the map.

Chapter 7: So far the best chapter in my opinion. I like the day&night factor.
The dwarf was funny that died and also it was nice to steal the key at night from the centaurs.
Canyon, Volcano, Bronze Dragon Queen... Good stuff.
And the endplot - WoW. I'm impressed!

Chapter 8: Again great chapter. Challenging indeed and it was fun!. I had to micro a lot of stuff
and the teleport from jaina was too good in this chapter. In chapter like these I like to
concentrate on only 2-3 units. I would like to have more difficulty to choose than just one.
I like the whole map design also. Something minor I dislike is that the dialogue speed is a bit too fast.
I think I'm also near the end of the campaign.

Yup thats it. I would have liked to play one last map but the epilogue was nice.
I liked the story. It felt a bit like a true sequel to frozen throne from Blizzard.
Also what I noted playing through this campaign is that the language would sometimes switch.
All in all I give it 4/5*.

Last edited:
Level 23
I recently replayed this one, and enjoyed it a lot. You made such an effort with the creative design for the missions, from the Centaur part when trying to contact the horde, to the ship missions, etc.

I liked how you said thanks to the world editor in the credits for allowing you to build a world you could not otherwise build without coding knowledge.
I felt really sad when I visited the website you mentioned in the credits as helping you with questions with the map editor. From what I can see, it was a french-language community based around war3 and the world editor, but it seems to just have faded away between 2006 and 2008.

Level 1
A very good campaign to play, hasn't finished yet. The traduction has some serious problemens from french to english, but the storyline is very nice. Thanks for this!

Level 9
Some polishing is required. Grammer mistakes here and there. Some glitches here and there. Also some words aren't in english

Loved the last mission though.

I didn't really like the missions where we couldn't build up a base and had to work here and there. But overall its good fun.

if this campaign actually got an update i'd give it a 4 but for now 3/5

Worth playing to mass create naga royal guards for the last mission lol

Level 5
Hello there.
I started this campaign using public test and i find it really interesting.
I think it covers a lot of ground in terms of being different and inventive.
I have a problem though as when i played IronForge chapter 4 (i think)
the gate didnt open when i used the gem to unlock it.
My OCD kicked in so i killed every single tower on the map.
:goblin_boom:
I killed everything goddamn and the door didnt open.
I watched replays of the game so i am sure
there must be a bug i guess after all these years.
So no rating as my opinion would be based on a small sample

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Level 5
What game/patch version have you tried it on?
If you play on 1.31.1 it might be a cause of this
1.31.1 [Bug] Loading saved game breaks some unit events
Well, i dont think i updated the public test version, so yeah its 1.31. something june 2019.
Should i go download the switcher for patches and play it on 1.21 ? I am really ignorant to all
this switcherou and i apologize that you have to deal with this kind of questions. I try to learn though.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Well, i dont think i updated the public test version, so yeah its 1.31. something june 2019.
Should i go download the switcher for patches and play it on 1.21 ? I am really ignorant to all
this switcherou and i apologize that you have to deal with this kind of questions. I try to learn though.
1.31 PTR or 1.31.1? Asking because that bug I mentioned might only be in 1.31.1 and not the PTR as well but who knows.
It's your decision whether you switch or not. You don't have to actually. You can have a 1.27 running as well or even 1.29.2 or 1.30.4 at the same time, in different folders but if you update to 1.32+ those versions will cease to work unless you delete the Warcraft III registries.
Warcraft 3 Legacy Installer (1.21b - 1.27a) Warcraft III legacy installer (marcraft)
[Need Help] Back to 1.29 1.29.2 archive (tommi gustafsson)
Patch 1.30.4 Backup Game Files 1.30.4 archive (tommi gustafsson)
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files 1.31.1 archive (masterblaster)

Level 5
1.31 PTR or 1.31.1? Asking because that bug I mentioned might only be in 1.31.1 and not the PTR as well but who knows.
It's your decision whether you switch or not. You don't have to actually. You can have a 1.27 running as well or even 1.29.2 or 1.30.4 at the same time, in different folders but if you update to 1.32+ those versions will cease to work unless you delete the Warcraft III registries.
Warcraft 3 Legacy Installer (1.21b - 1.27a) Warcraft III legacy installer (marcraft)
[Need Help] Back to 1.29 1.29.2 archive (tommi gustafsson)
Patch 1.30.4 Backup Game Files 1.30.4 archive (tommi gustafsson)
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files 1.31.1 archive (masterblaster)
Thank very much appreciated.
I am back. I did downlaod from Marcraft Reign of chaos and Frozen throne
(1.21 and 1.27) and i think it replaced my reforged edition even though i made a seperate file for that.
So i fucked it all up. The thread that you refered me to is closed so i cant ask there for suggestions.
I didnt try to install reforged again as i thought that it would reverse everything again so i am totally confused with wwhat i am supposed to do. I guess i'll try to find someone to set my computer up when the canantine is over.
I appriciate your help anyway and your effort to help me.

Last edited:
Level 5
Great campaign, well made terrain with a couple of secrets if you dare to explore.

Found a couple of bugs that are minor and don't affect gameplay, also you missed some translations in some missions but is easy to understand, also the dialogue felt a bit rushed.

The campaing is well made with the characters true to their original personalities with a difficulty that makes the missions entertaining, good story, you get to play with everyone.

Played on version 1.21b.

Level 2
The missions where awesome and the cinematics really well made, the writing was a not bad but still a 10/10 overall.