• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, @Retera
I have a feature request.
Reforged models have such thing as Emissive Texture and it can be used for creating flickering effect.
For instance in the Reforged Townhall the light from windows is flickering in the stand work animation.
How it is done?
the material has info about emissive rates like this

Material {
Shader "Shader_HD_DefaultUnit",
Layer {
FilterMode Transparent,
static TextureID 10,
Emissive 306 {
Linear,
0: 1,
60000: 1,
60033: 0,
62700: 0,
62733: 1,
62767: 1.006600022315979,
62800: 1.0317200422286987,
62833: 1.0667200088500977,
62867: 1.1105400323867798,
62900: 1.1620999574661255,

The problem is if I need to apply similar Emission animation to my custom model I need to copy over 300 values and Rewrite the timecodes MANUALLY.
This shit is killing me.

Can you create a button "Create Emission Flickering" with animation sequence selector for it?

For instance I edit some material in your studio, I can create or edit Emission rates and also I can generate an emission animation for any sequence with Inputs for
  • --- Type of Interpolation (Linear or DontInterp)
  • --- Emission Min value
  • --- Emission Max value
  • --- Sequence to apply
  • --- Amount of waves
  • --- Wave Form (A, B, C) - difference is that A creates sequence (min.... max... min), and B is (min...max) and C is (max...min)
  • --- Step Size

Example. I hit the button "Generate Emission Effect for material"
I input:

• Linear
  • min value to 0,
  • max value to 3,
  • amount of waves 10
  • Wave Form "A"
  • Sequence to Stand work
  • Step to 33

In this imaginary case the stand work is 70000-73333
This means that your magic button will create an Emission rate list with 101 lines
And the flickering will raise from 0 to 3 and then falls back to 0 - 10 times with step 33 and fill the whole stand work animation

PS. Wave forms could be named as upward trend downfall trend and parabolic, dunno how it is correct in english

PPS, I know that could be case when user inputs the step 3333 and amount of waves to 3 for an animation sequence 0-3333 and it could fill only 1 step. HTat means that emission rate list will end at the timecode which is a result of a calculation, not the end of picked sequence.
So basicly Sequence picker is needed only to get the start point for the building of these waves

Last edited:
This is a bit of retarded question but... my weak laptop can't handle Reforged but I still want to start my initiative to edit models.

Can I just download the editor and just download the .mpq or whatever the equivalent in Reforged to be able to edit models?
The simplest way to you is install the game and open the retera studio.

Level 9
So I've only scratched the surface for now, but I've discovered it's possible between all the tools available to get Reforged models into a fully editable state in Blender. This allows us to port them to virtually any other moddable game, even Classic War 3 I think.

Check out this thread I posted about it: Helpful Import MDX into Blender 2.79 Addon

This hinges upon a lesser known Blender 2.79 plugin and Retera's experimental HD > SD script. The animations tend to have initial problems during that script conversion, but assuming you know what you're doing with Blender, I found most all those problems are easily fixable. The possibilities are endless now! :D

(Sorry I didn't have the textures on for this screenshot, they need to be relinked when imported but appear to still work properly once the file is found again)
Working.PNG

Level 8
Level 8
do i have to move the camera as well in the animation or just keep it in the same spt?
Click check the entire on each 3 boxes: "MESHS, NODES, & CAMERAS." Yes, because cameras is your unit's profile portrait. Move entire of your unit with it to upwards little bit, and test it in map. If you see the blue on top and red on right in very middle in the "Front" view, that's on the surface "ground." You move it little more upwards above it.

Level 12
Probably just an effect that plays a sound/music file with some transformations, like related to the distance.

It seems I have noticed that the Credits Arthas model (the one with an electric guitar) is playing the credits music with low volume that increases when you get near.
And as I use it in my map, I can tell it is not triggered so it lies inside the model itself, and I believe it could be related to this kind of emitter.

I can only think about @Retera's youtube channel : Retera that has several tutorials.

There might be others, I am not sure.

I've seen that but personally I prefer written out tutorials unless its for 2D art.

Also @Retera I'm wondering if you've made any videos or tutorials about mapping a different texture to a unit using this program?

I've been wanting to re-texture the Human castle using the Gargoyle Spire and Graveyard textures but aren't quite sure how to do this.

Last edited:
Level 8
Hmmmmm. After patch just updated, the Retera's Model Editor stopped working...

upload_2020-5-15_22-13-44.png

And, after I clicked "Ok" on the error pop-up, it took me back to the setup, and after I clicked "Ok" on the setup, it shut down itself. I couldn't open Retera's Model Editor anymore since the patch just updated...

upload_2020-5-15_22-16-2.png

Level 12
Same thing happened to me 2 patches ago, because Retera Model Studio was open while wc3 updated.

What you have to do is start the program again, and once on the setup window, chose "Reset to defaults".
It should work.

For some reason I had to do it twice but since then it has been working perfectly.

Level 4
This reforged model of the initial Footman is different from the current Footman that they present when we download the 1.32 patch from Blizzard. It has bigger shoulder pads, some differences in the shield and I particularly thought the first reforged versions were better.
Does anyone still own this first Footman model?

Level 12
Do you mean the one I attached ?

I suppose because this comes from a Casc storage extraction I did back in January... haven't made any comparison with the current Casc storage though.

I put the whole model, portrait and textures just to be sure.

Attachments

• footman.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 147
Level 4
Do you mean the one I attached ?

I suppose because this comes from a Casc storage extraction I did back in January... haven't made any comparison with the current Casc storage though.

I put the whole model, portrait and textures just to be sure.
Was this extracted in the first official patch that Blizzard released? Would this model be exactly this? (see attached image).
Thank you friend. but ....
The situation is that I bought Reforged shortly after the release and in this patch update 1.32. Simply, I believe that Blizzard has updated some models and just the Footman that I liked, she deleted. Replacing it with one that the community complained about being better, reducing some armor sizes and mainly totally changing the jambs, making them extremely smaller. I will not even go into the merit of the shield, which I believe does not exist the model with this shield from the first impressions and advertisements from Blizzard, which by the way, I thought it was much better with it. I believe that this shield was not even made available to the community in the first Beta release. I have a great lament and frustration, because I liked this initial proposed by them.

And I would love to get this Footman as the attached image.

Attachments

• footmanreofrged.png
    footmanreofrged.png
    553.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Level 12
Yes I agree that the old footman looked better, although taste varies depending on people.

I just checked but unfortunately it's not the version you were hoping for.

I am not sure I have ever seen the shield, a pity as it really looks nice. Maybe it was indeed never released to the public...

I checked with a copy of Reforged Beta build 13594 that I had lying around which was a very early beta build, but not the earliest. It may have been the patch when the Undead were added.
It appears that even in that build, the Footman had the newer shield. I thought I recalled reading on the forums back then that the Footman shield was changed at or by the time the Reforged Beta became available.

Level 4
Checked friends. This Footman that you made available, I believe it is from the January / 2020 patch and should not have very sharp changes in the entire armor, but only in the shoulders.
In fact, the shoulder pads I believe are exactly the same as the initial Reforged, with a higher height, creating a more stylized fantasy armor. Thank you for saving this piece at the time, after all, today Blizzard suppressed that.

But as for the shield, we still have to settle for this cheap modification and without the same innovative brilliance as the advertising versions announced years ago. The first Footman was so good, this fashion of more spoiled people who keep complaining about everything, spoiled the initial model. As Reteras said ... maybe not even beta versions exist for this shield. Only at Blizzard offices or people linked to them can have it. It is getting harder and harder to get it! People criticized Footman from the beginning, so this sudden change was made a long time ago. I even suggest to you my friend, that you try to keep the models of the first BETA. We may encounter similar situations in other races.

Thanks again Macadamia, for saving this old version!

Level 12
You are welcome.

In all honesty I really wish we had the graphical experience of the 2018 demo.
This new shield is not very attractive, and thats just one of the many things Blizzard thought they would change (was it because of people complaints ?).

All we can do now is hope Blizzard gives us improved tools over the time (not even hoping for updated Art Tools, but who knows). that would allow more modelers to offer alternatives. RMSH is great, but still requires a lot of work from @Retera to become a perfect modeling environment.
I just hope he does not get bored and finds the strength, but even more the time to give the community an update. This said, he's not a machine and does not get income from this :D

Crossing fingers !!!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
This new shield is not very attractive, and thats just one of the many things Blizzard thought they would change (was it because of people complaints ?).
Yeah, the main complaints were the big armour pieces, not the actual designs. Sure, there were nitpicks but those were not to be considered when Reforged was obviously not a loyal recreation.

Level 12
I see.

Yes there are quite a few disappointing aspects, I wish the entire Reforged would live up to the fans hopes.
I am still happy it was released, (especially if they add the missing features) because I suppose a little is better than nothing.

Although I admit for some it was less than nothing because of these lost features.

Now I don't want to be pessimistic, so I'll remain naive and hope Reforged keeps improving until people end up liking it.

All this being said, I still prefer the current Footman to the classic one :D

Level 12
I know what you mean, truely.

Fact is I have never been a decent melee player nor a good terrainer or event environment aware mapper.
I am more like a gadget experimenter who tries to make funny or original stuff that does not necessarily have a lot of consistency globally.
You must have guessed that of you saw my aMazing Balls screenshots.

I tend to focus on details, and I understand it is not always the best way to do things, because I often get issues with visual context.
Even if the old models look a bit too much low poly for me, I must still admit they are exceptional considering this very limitation.

Hell, if you don't focus on portraits, you can even make your brain believe these models are much higher poly than they really are, because I admit that in normal playing circumstances, Reforged models poly count is a bit overkill, and does not scale too well color wise.

But on the other hand, I love how some of these new models look, especially in a model editor :D

@Footman16 : they have no excuse, team color is maybe one of the easiest things ever when it comes to modeling.

@Footman16 : they have no excuse, team color is maybe one of the easiest things ever when it comes to modeling.

True, but I was just saying that at the time I remember the community complaining a lot about it on the Footman with particular reference to the shield hence the change :)

Level 4
You are welcome.
This new shield is not very attractive, and thats just one of the many things Blizzard ... get income from this :D
Crossing fingers !!!
Macadamia Nut,
With Reforged we now live in a shortage of possibilities for modeling and editing. We are practically restricted to using heavy and almost professional use platforms like those from Autodesk.
Retera's is a good tool, but it still requires a lot of repairs and is one of the only ones useful for conversion. But the ideal would still be to have a powerful tool in terms of speed and practicality for modeling in the style of MdlVis. I love MdlVis! Lolol
deepstrasz,
I didn't notice this exaggeration of armor in Reforged in general terms. On the contrary, if I compare it to the Paladins, I found all the models impeccable. The complaint that became widespread was everything only by Footman who had higher shoulders, but for me it was a stylized way to give more authenticity to the model and help to differentiate him in battles, just that was the criticism for what was missing to the Reforged models and Footman that they created something more salient, everyone now complained.
I am not concerned because functionally a Footman would have his vision blocked in a fantasy game.

Level 12
Yes, I must admit I am not yet qualified enough to have an exhaustive measure of the modeling situation.
I suppose I will start to face new difficulties when I'll start making more elaborate models...

Level 4
hey, after patch 1.32.6 i'm unable to set the right war3 directory for ReterasV0.04.2020.03.03 despite many attempts. do i need to get a previous vers of the game data or is there an alternative way to add the casc of the new patch

Level 12
Same thing happened to me 2 patches ago, because Retera Model Studio was open while wc3 updated.

What you have to do is start the program again, and once on the setup window, chose "Reset to defaults".
It should work.

For some reason I had to do it twice but since then it has been working perfectly.

This issue happens when you had @Retera Model Studio running while the game was updating.

Just do what I say inside the quote.

Level 1
My model won't appear in the editor (green and black textured cube) Tried removing "war3imported", keeping it. tried saving it as .mdl still didn't work. tried restarting editor, nope
Included model file so maybe someone can tell me if i've done something wrong

Attachments

• dragon knight rough final.mdx
    6.3 MB · Views: 85
Level 29
My model won't appear in the editor (green and black textured cube) Tried removing "war3imported", keeping it. tried saving it as .mdl still didn't work. tried restarting editor, nope
Included model file so maybe someone can tell me if i've done something wrong

If you check it in the sanity test, you'll see that there are 5 event objects without any keyframes. Either add keyframes, or remove the event objects. At least it seems like errors nowadays only make models not load rather than crash WE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You also appear to have multiple geosets not actually attached to any bones, which is not an error, but something you probably want to fix (i.e. attach them or remove them).

Finally, some animations are out of order. This may or may not be an issue, I don't know if it works correctly in >1.30.4 because I don't have Reforged.

/edit
Actually the geosets are fine, it's my code that mishandles them.
They have both the new Reforged skinning data, but also fake old TFT skinning data.
The code blindly checks both, so the fake data is reported as an issue, rather than being reported as useless data.
Should also get Retera to update his code at some point to actually remove the useless TFT data.

/edit2
While looking at it some more, I saw that you also have many double keyframes with the same frames in the geoset animations, which the test reports right now as useless only because the values are the same.
I am not sure if this is an error or not (i.e. bugs in the game), or even if the test should look for it, never saw a model in the past where someone did this.

Last edited:
/edit2
While looking at it some more, I saw that you also have many double keyframes with the same frames in the geoset animations, which the test reports right now as useless only because the values are the same.
I am not sure if this is an error or not (i.e. bugs in the game), or even if the test should look for it, never saw a model in the past where someone did this.
I've encountered this a few times while editing a model, I'm not sure whether Magos or MdlVis causes it but sometimes it ends up adding a new keyframes at the same frame instead of overwriting the old one.
Not sure either if it bugs in the game, but it can definitely lead to unexpected results when editing, because only one of the two will actually be edited.

Level 8
I need help with this model editor. I couldn't be able to import the model I made after I imported from workspace on it to merge 2 models into 1 model and saved the model. It's not showing in world editor. Before I merge 2 models into 1 model, I put 2 models in world editor, and they do show. But, when I use importing from workspace to merge 2 models in 1 model, it's not showing in world editor or game........ :(

EDIT: Nevermind. I got it fixed. Thanks, though.

Last edited:
Level 8
Hey, everyone. I need help. Anyone experienced with converted the model that can be swapping both Reforged (HD) and Classic (SD) modes on same model that had 2 same pathing name but different modes? I am frustrated. After I learned the converting from HD to SD on Retera's video. I only importing models into SD editor. I couldn't success it in HD editor. It only showing SD models in both SD and HD modes. But, if I want HD models to be working in HD mode, then it only showing SD models in SD mode, but will not show HD models in HD mode. I am trying to understand and follow your video at...

...on starting at 20:00 of the time. Can you please tell me in steps with images on each step? I want SD model to be working in SD mode and HD model to be working in HD mode, with both to be on same name of pathing, but different mode setting. Maybe it was pathing name mistaken or folder files installed improperly for HD models in HD mode? Can anyone please send steps with images on each of how to make it work properly? And, how do you get team colors worked on Classic models? They only showing white color. What I did to get models converted for SD and HD swapping modes is this:

upload_2020-6-16_17-52-14.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-52-38.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-52-51.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-53-0.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-53-8.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-53-16.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-53-24.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-53-31.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-53-50.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-54-9.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-54-22.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-54-37.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-54-52.png

upload_2020-6-16_17-56-5.png

Or... maybe I have no choice and stick with converted HD to SD models to be in SD mode on both Reforged and Classic modes. Still looks good, though. That's only works for me. I think I should just stick with it, but for the white color issue in SD models, I think I have idea to solve it.

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-16_17-55-3.png
    upload_2020-6-16_17-55-3.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 44
  • upload_2020-6-16_17-55-21.png
    upload_2020-6-16_17-55-21.png
    162.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.