• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Requiem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Uhmm Goris... I don't want to be rude (but I will be), but what about finishing themap before deciding to remake such huge systems? xD I see the chances of this map being finished slowly fading to nothing xD With each day there is more chance of something happening to you (or your HDD)... Also, please make sure to make backups often - always expect the worst ^^

Level 4
kanadaj said:
...what about finishing themap before deciding to remake such huge systems?

I don't really see the obstacles to do so.
I remaked systems only visually (old ones were confusing and illegible).
All things works on the old, good script. (Well, maybe I added some single options)

kanadaj said:
With each day there is more chance of something happening to you (or your HDD)... Also, please make sure to make backups often - always expect the worst ^^

Yes, I remember to make backups. Last was yesterday. :)
HDD crash? ;d Take it easy. We live in the 21st. xD

Thanks for your concern, anyway. :)

Level 5
The brand new graphical side of UI is bloody brilliant compared to the old one.
Relating to HDD crashes, it can happen in really retarded moments, especially when people tend to do something important like modding, storywriting or some other serious stuff. I guess it's somekind of embodied misfortune.

Well, hopefully nothing bad happens so you won't have to spend money on retrieving the data from HDD.
Im pretty sure that there's a couple of people around who could give you real support if needed. You would be more than welcome to ask for anything.

Level 15
I don't really see the obstacles to do so.
I remaked systems only visually (old ones were confusing and illegible).
All things works on the old, good script. (Well, maybe I added some single options)

Yes, I remember to make backups. Last was yesterday. :)
HDD crash? ;d Take it easy. We live in the 21st. xD

Thanks for your concern, anyway. :)

Oookay.

Well, even in the 21st century the Operation Systems (especially Windows) can do nasty things, like accidentaly deleting some system files, so your PC won't ever boot again without reinstall, or crashing during defragment - which causes the data being transported to be lost...

Anyways, you're welcome, I'm always there to pinpoint where something can fail :D

Level 22
Oookay.

Well, even in the 21st century the Operation Systems (especially Windows) can do nasty things, like accidentaly deleting some system files, so your PC won't ever boot again without reinstall, or crashing during defragment - which causes the data being transported to be lost...

Anyways, you're welcome, I'm always there to pinpoint where something can fail :D

I don't think crashes during Defragmentation can make you lose files, I mean I'm shut my computer off midstream during a defrag lots of times, without shutting down all programs.

Level 1
Shadows?
Water reflections?

This would be better if it was not a ThirdPerson/FirstPerson game so that it would look like SC2. But anyways your project is just masterpiece. I guess my ATI Radeon HD 5870 can handle it pretty well.

Shadows?
Water reflections?

Warcraft III handles those very badly.
It's impossible with Jass unless you map out each model and input booleans in a very large 2D Array (Hashtable in wc3), then create the shadows by looping through the hashtable and creating tiny images.
This is very inefficient though. But, it could be optimized greatly if you would scale images to display large rect-like shadows. (Meaning instead of 4 or 196 shadows forming a square, you would use one scaled one.
This is still very advanced and beyond what /anyone/ has done for Warcraft.

edit
Silly me, here's a better solution: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2129800-post617.html

Last edited:
Oh wait! I have an even better idea :D
Take each model and put it in an empty warcraft III map.
Save the map and calculate shadows.
When the time of day is 8 AM, change your camera view so that you're looking at the map from overhead.

Take a screenshot of the shadow of the unit, put that an image editor, crop out the unneeded parts (change the unneeded parts to be transparent), and there you have it, a shadow image for a model :D
Feel free to use Gaussian Blur and Unsharp Mask to increase the quality :p
You can even change the shape a bit so it looks smooth :D

Then, in-game, when you trigger a unit index event, create the image using X/Y coordinates of the unit (the x/y coordinates you pass in determine the bottom-left corner of the image), and move that image 32x a second to the coordinates of the unit :D

edit
Or, instead of writing a system for that, you could simply use that image as the shadow of the unit in the Object Editor o_o

Last edited:
Level 4
Oh wait! I have an even better idea :D
Take each model and put it in an empty warcraft III map.
Save the map and calculate shadows.
When the time of day is 8 AM, change your camera view so that you're looking at the map from overhead.

Take a screenshot of the shadow of the unit, put that an image editor, crop out the unneeded parts (change the unneeded parts to be transparent), and there you have it, a shadow image for a model :D
Feel free to use Gaussian Blur and Unsharp Mask to increase the quality :p
You can even change the shape a bit so it looks smooth :D

Then, in-game, when you trigger a unit index event, create the image using X/Y coordinates of the unit (the x/y coordinates you pass in determine the bottom-left corner of the image), and move that image 32x a second to the coordinates of the unit :D

Perfectly matched shadows are all in all static objects (rocks, tables, corpses, crates, barrels etc).
I could follow your way to do this for animated models, but I don't see any sense with this lighting and dark... "backgrouds" which are accompanied by the entire game. ;) And in fact, this would be a little primitive. :D

edit
Or, instead of writing a system for that, you could simply use that image as the shadow of the unit in the Object Editor o_o

Yes, I am using this universal shadow texture (little remaked shadow of flying units) to all animated models of characters/monsters and other.

Models, terrain, triggers, etc?

She did all that?

Better to learn how to make all stuff than complain, that you can't rely on development team member.

Btw: Currently I'm waiting over a week for a message from model animator. I have done all skills. I need a finished animations to tigger the hits.

Then she is the god of modding!

Lol. xD Sounds funny, but I appreciate it. xD

Last edited:
Level 8
Holy oh my god, what the, oh dear where, who the, how did!!!!!!!! This is amazing :O This doesn't even look like wc3 how did you, oh my I think I will feint now, good luck and I hope you succeed because this is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen, you put blizzard to shame.

She doesn't know when she'll finish bro :p

If I were to ask you about the completion time of some big project you're working on, would you give me an exact date and expect to be right about it? :p

@Goris:
How much RAM is the map taking while you're running it?
Image-file data in Warcraft III never gets deleted until you close Warcraft III apparently :|
And Blizzard didn't even provide us with a good UnloadFile native D:
That's one of the things that stopped me from writing a Video-Player :/

Level 24
And do you honestly expect this to be completed in 32 days? I'm not saying that Goris is lazy or a slow worker but this will take some time to finnish and if it takes time it takes time.

Level 4
@Goris:
How much RAM is the map taking while you're running it?
Image-file data in Warcraft III never gets deleted until you close Warcraft III apparently :|
And Blizzard didn't even provide us with a good UnloadFile native D:
That's one of the things that stopped me from writing a Video-Player :/

Already most people asked me on pm about graphics card, RAM, processor, etc. Dzisas. :|
This is normal map for Wc3, not a new game. -_-

Maybe everything looks very high-quality but this is just the textures (Most simply 512x512) give this effect. The models are low poly.
Its requirements are the same like for the other maps and works normally as any other map.

PS: I have a wooden computer. xD

=========================================================================================

When finished? When people instead of only offering help, will really help.
I send them materials (sounds samples, models to animate etc.) and suddenly they utterly breaks contact. Yay, thanks!
It is like McDonald's. I'm lovin' it. -_-

Requiem have absolutely lack of cut-scenes and movies. And without proper animations I'm not going to do any cinematics. If you are going to do something, do it good. Zzzzz....

Level 22
Already most people asked me on pm about graphics card, RAM, processor, etc. Dzisas. :|

Maybe everything looks very high-quality but this is just the textures (Most simply 512x512) give this effect. The models are low poly.
Its requirements are the same like for the other maps and works normally as any other map.

=========================================================================================

I send them materials (sounds samples, models to animate etc.) and suddenly they utterly breaks contact. Yay, thanks!

Requiem have absolutely lack of cut-scenes and movies. And without proper animations I'm not going to do any cinematics. If you are going to do something, do it good. Zzzzz....

I wish I could animate for you. :(

Don't send anyone anything unless they are a member of the team, or you trust them. I bet PKW would help you, he animated some of my stuff.

Level 14
Yep like xRiotZx already said. You should ask pkw. He animated almost every single model for my own project. I swear you can trust this person he is the most helpful person in the wc3 modding scene I have ever seen. but it seems he is currently really busy but asking will not hurt. Currently I'm learning how to animate but my current skills are still to low for character animations so sadly I'm not able to help you out.

Level 24
Well what would you want us to talk about? I think we're all just waiting for the new update, or had you something you wanted us to talk about since I already feel that we have already spoken about this projects epicness a few times or do you maybe want us to talk about how we all wished we had girlfriends that played video games?

Level 5

lol that has to be for me

sorry goris, I've been busy with some shit XD
anyways, i think i may get my pc back tomorrow, then i will start animating u_U

Status
Not open for further replies.