1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reputation FAQ

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Archian, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Reputation System

Information

Reputation is a form of appreciation everyone can give by clicking the 2017-12-13 23_33_19-Reputation FAQ _ HIVE.png button in forum posts under the avatar.
    It's often seen as kind of award, if someone is very active, helpful, or makes some good point, but finally it's very subjective and ultimately always up to the users when, or when not to give +reputation.

Reputation Gem

Gained reputation will define how the shiny rep gems will look like. They can be found at a user's forum posts.

-10 neg.png
    0 off.png
    6 pos1.png
    30 pos2.png
    125 pos3.png
    500 pos4.png
    2000 pos5.png

Reputation Power

The amount of reputation one can give at once is called Reputation Power. Reputation power depends on forum acitivites and current rep amount, but is capped at 4.
    Reputation Limits

There are certain limits that prevent you from spreading reputation. It's not possible to give reputation ...
    • ... in the Something Else forum.
    • ... to more than 10 users per day.
    • ... twice to the same user per day.
    Asking For Reputation

Begging, bribing, trading, harassing users for reputation should not happen, and may be punished. Stay cool, share +rep when you deem it as useful, but don't enforce it to anyone else, and don't be a rep whore.

Negative Reputation

Reputation is a form of appreciation. Negative reputation is actually not possible to give for normal users, but it's very well possible for administration. In rare cases, like for example for continuously breaking site rules, stealing resources, cheating in contests, it might happen that some reputation is taken away from you. That's no replacement for regular punishment, but it can be an extra signal to show that staff doesn't appreciate certain behaviour at all.​

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. Squiggy

Squiggy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Is that even possible? o_O

3. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That isnt a rule, squiggy. It is stating that it CANNOT be used in the chat room. Literarly.

4. Squiggy

Squiggy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    if so, it should be written that way you wrote it :)

5. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Isn't that a contradiction? Sure enough, you're still taking part in the reputation system, but it's not worth anything unless you have above 10 rep.

So yes, in a sense, you are still contributing something, but you're contributing something that's worthless and nobody cares about... Thus, you're not really participating in the system because you're doing something that isn't mainstream and doesn't have an effect on anybody.

6. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think what he means by using reputation is that in the past, members would type a message which would say something along the lines of, "Look Here! "Insert link here" I'll give you rep!". And it is true, reputation cannot be given or taken in the chat room itself.

Ash, Everyone can use the system. When you receive rep, who cares if it's worth something? Just knowing that you helped a new member and that they appreciate it should be reward enough.

~Deathcom3s

7. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The system is flawed in practice. The only useful thing about it is the comment system. When the comments are useful...
    Where? I cant find it

8. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Tell that to terrainers ;)

9. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Lol, Ash, I AM a terrainer, and I still don't mind. There are plenty of good terrainers that do not have a lot of reputation.

Stallion, Ralle probably has it disabled. Ghan, if you want to enable it, I believe it's under vBulletin options, then scroll down the list until you see "Reputation Options", then the rest is up to you.

~Deathcom3s

10. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Then you're not a very good one :p

If you're a terrainer and have a gallery thread, then you can enjoy lots and lots of rep. That's, pretty much, all it's used for at the moment.

11. FamousPker49

FamousPker49

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I agree. Because you can help, but many of the people that need the help cannot give any reputation anyhow. Many of the people who can give reputation are often veteran users, and don't really need help.

12. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    there is a mistake in the rep level. I have 95 and 3 green gems, but the list says that you need at least 100 for it^^

13. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ash, I may not be amazing, but I'm not horrible. I also haven't terrained in 5 months due to a Hard Drive crash and other issues.

Galleries don't gurantee you rep. Look at Correxx, he was a great terrainer, he has a gallery, but only around 60-70 rep.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic.

~Deathcom3s

14. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Whatever you say... >_>

But I stick with what I said, that statement's contradictory.

15. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    60-70 for that one gallery deathcom3s. That's a lot.

And Ash, you need to be a good terrainer. Look at me, I don't have that much rep/post, but I consider myself a qualified terrainer.

16. Vicboy

Vicboy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Damn it ash...

17. Ghan_04

Ghan_04

Vice Chieftain

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    > I believe it's under vBulletin options, then scroll down the list until you see "Reputation Options", then the rest is up to you.

Allowing users to disable reputation display is handled by usergroup, I believe.
    I thought it was enabled.

18. FamousPker49

FamousPker49

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I have a lot of rep, and that is pretty much due to my terraining. Nearly all of my rep is from terraining. That is because if you are looking for reputation, helping people usually isn't productive, as that is what I used to do, but then got bored of all the same questions or questions that could be answered by simply applying yourself, or looking at tutorials.

19. Lestat(br)

Lestat(br)

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Donations don't give +rep?
    I think they should, so this would motivate people to donate, and would make the hive's upkeep better.

And yes, terraining is over-repped. I consider myself a good terrainer, but I don't post screenshots here. I think that rep isn't something that important. What I've been doing for long, helping newbies and doing models, is not a good way to receive rep, although I believe that it is a good way to help the community, instead of showing off terrains which we are tired of looking at.

20. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Rep doesn't mean shit. Get over it.