• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Current rep system vs. Old rep system

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
It's another rep discussion thread!

We as a staff decided we don't really care either which way, so I thought I'd get some thoughts from the people that care about it. i.e. you guys.

You may have noticed some changes to the system. I'll try to outline the differences as clearly as I can.

Old System
  • The different levels used were the following.
    • pos2.png
      = 30 rep, aside from the first green gem which you got at 50 rep. Second was 60 rep. Five green equals a blue.
    • pos3.png
      = 150 rep. Four blue equals a silver.
    • pos4.png
      = 600 rep. Three silver equals a gold.
    • pos5.png
      = 1800 rep. Highest gem.
  • Users had reputation powers, which added up as users got more rep.
    • 200 rep meant you could deal out 2 rep per go.
    • 400 rep meant you could deal out 3 rep per go.
    • 600 rep meant you could deal out 4 rep per go. This was the cap for normal users.

New System
  • These are the current levels.
    • pos2.png
      = 30 rep.
    • pos3.png
      = 125 rep. Four blue equals a silver.
    • pos4.png
      = 500 rep. Four silver equals a gold.
    • pos5.png
      = 2,000 rep. Highest gem.
  • No reputation power. All regular users can only award one rep per go.

Which one do you like best? And what features would you like?

PLEBIANS, DISCUSS.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I kind of like the idea of always 1 power (which is currently just a simple technical limitation by the way). I just think we kind of have to go back through all old rep and set it back to 1 except for awards... I don't know.

Also, XenForo has a like system which is partially hidden. I have plans to hide it fully from the interface.

I would prefer to only have the built in like system instead of reputation, but we would have to think of something for contest awards then.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I think the requirement for adding rep to the same user again should time out after 48 or 72 hours. This would still stop chain repping the same person but allow people who seldom frequent to the site to rep the people who constantly help them. Often some people are only helped by 2-3 people time and time again.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Not really, if everyone else get reduced as well there is no issue since I comparing my rep with them.

I just feel like helping some noob with a one line response should not give the same 'reward' as a 20 line response explaining something to a more experienced user.
There are exceptions when this is not true, but it generally is.

Rep gems is not really important, does not weight in discussions/decissions, and it would be fair if all just can give +1 rep in public.
Seriously seen I would support the all +1 politics, because it's fair. But if we see rep just as some 'play' for the user it might be not wrong to give some special rep powers as well, just for the lolz.
Some might have fun in farming rep and waiting for their next rep power step, +2/+3/+4 -- and it's okay. They can have their fun with this little feature and in the end it does not matter anyways anyways, so I would bring the RepPower feature back. Rep is nothing too serious by it's nature already.

Last edited:
Level 15
He said it all I want to say.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with having some fun with the rep power.

Or maybe we can make an option so that the user can give how much rep the or she wanted to.

For example: Someone who has the rep power of 4 has the choice of giving reps from the range of 1 to 4 reps while a user with rep power of 3 can give from 1 to 3 reps.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Or maybe we can make an option so that the user can give how much rep the or she wanted to.

For example: Someone who has the rep power of 4 has the choice of giving reps from the range of 1 to 4 reps while a user with rep power of 3 can give from 1 to 3 reps.

Wasn't it the way it was working before?

Besides, there's nothing wrong with having some fun with the rep power.

heh, Rep power to the people...

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I kind of like the idea of always 1 power (which is currently just a simple technical limitation by the way). I just think we kind of have to go back through all old rep and set it back to 1 except for awards... I don't know.
I agree. I suggested this upon the proposal of 1-rep power.

I just think we kind of have to go back through all old rep and set it back to 1 except for awards... I don't know.
Shouldn't be too hard. Set every rep award to 1, then loop through every member that's received an award and search the appropriate award to change. Requires a deal of the bureaucratic work, I know, but it's nothing I couldn't deal with back in my days.

I would prefer to only have the built in like system instead of reputation, but we would have to think of something for contest awards then.
In some ways I prefer the like system too. Mainly because it doesn't ask you for a message and it's quicker, but due to that same reason Like fests are much more frequent. I observe this phenomenon frequently in other XenForo sites.

Wasn't it the way it was working before?
No. Your reputation power was defined as 0,3% of your own reputation iirc, with a minimum of 1 rep given.

Level 23
Shouldn't be too hard. Set every rep award to 1, then loop through every member that's received an award and search the appropriate award to change. Requires a deal of the bureaucratic work, I know, but it's nothing I couldn't deal with back in my days.

you probably misunderstood his intention(if not then I misunderstood you), its not downing the rewards to 1, but everything except for rewards to 1(so that if I was to rep someone for +4 before hive update, it would change to 1), but ye process is the same

I think we should keep the rep-power... it adds a bit more fun and this is one of the (not major tho) reason that encourage me to post.
Or at least keep all the rep amount given before Hive 2.0? I would miss my hard-earned reps then :(

I like the old one better.
Or at least the fact that veterans' rep meant more thus more points given.
@Chaosy: Yes, finally someone agreeing with me (+rep)

Level 28
I prefer the like system, much easier, no need for comments and logistic.

I don't know about you Admins but : As for the contest awards you may still be able to give them more then just one "like" something like 40 likes at once, possible right?

Bah Anyway, It doesn't matter that much, either way, I can't see otherwise If I would give just 1 or 4 points of Rep,
That's why I propose the like system back :)

Level 19
I don't like either system... well I kinda do I also kinda don't.

I think rep should be a payment system, where if you want to give rep to someone.... it will be your own rep your giving

*thus improving the value of rep
*making new users more willing to contribute
*ending world hunger
*and making me happy ^^

Level 23
you still need to somehow generate rep to feed the system, otherwise once you switch to this system and there is total of lets say 100,000 rep on all accs, there will never be more, it will just be changing hands.

The other problem with that is people with rep that like it would be much much more hesitant to rep anyone because they will lose their own rep, so the noobies will actually have much much harder time getting rep

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I don't like either system... well I kinda do I also kinda don't.

I think rep should be a payment system, where if you want to give rep to someone.... it will be your own rep your giving

*thus improving the value of rep
*making new users more willing to contribute
*ending world hunger
*and making me happy ^^
Where would it come from?

Level 19
hmm that's an idea

being credited with rep for ever download of your stuff

that would be awesome... it would have to be regulated like YouTube, finding an average download and only paying out 1 rep per every new average reached

average download would be a very poor metric to use - uploading new resources would lower your average and the site is asymmetrical in download rates anyway - maps almost always have downloads in the thousands (5000+) as with models (2000+), spells by comparison are normally at less than 1000, if you compare with the "Most downloaded" that difference is very apparent (195,000 for maps, 78,000 for models, 17,000 for spells)

approval of resources arguably (maps take longer to produce so it would be unfair on them), ratings arguably (less stark difference between the sections though it is still very much so there) but definitely not downloads; even if you were I don't think it would be fair to hand it out symmetrically - better to work out the average of each section and award rep based on if you're above average or not for that section - though this would innately favour older users regardless of whether or not they're still active from the passive dl gain

Personally I think user-by-user is still probably the fairest way we can do so while having the system at all - whether or not rep handed out can be in different quantities other metrics are very likely to unfairly treat a section of the site - meaningless or not the system should still aim to be unbiased

Level 9
I think the requirement for adding rep to the same user again should time out after 48 or 72 hours. This would still stop chain repping the same person but allow people who seldom frequent to the site to rep the people who constantly help them. Often some people are only helped by 2-3 people time and time again.

This is a really good idea. Would like to see this as its been the case with me many times! I actually had to make a list of people to remember to rep since I wasn't allowed to hahaha

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Waer da poll? Seems like this would be the perfect place for it...

I'm kinda ambivalent; Rep is essentially meaningless to me (love how all the people that have a bunch are saying that, myself included xD); I'm more concerned with the comments & such. I like what Dr. Super Good said, what Rui said, and (surprisingly) LordofChaos' suggestion is quite interesting as well.

Ralle said:
...what about contest rep?...
Honestly, I don't even see why we need it. If it's a problem, get rid of it. Consolation Rep for submitting is 'whatevs', and the real prize is wearing that fancy "winner's icon" below your name (which is independent of the rep).

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
and the real prize is wearing that fancy "winner's icon" below your name (which is independent of the rep).
You wouldn't really join for the prize unless you think you have a chance at winning.
Probably why there is a 5 rep for posting an entry for some contests.
Pretty much a pat on the back for us not so awesome people.

Status
Not open for further replies.