1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

"Project WarSoc"

Discussion in 'Project WarSoc' started by MindWorX, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkholme

Darkholme

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Indeed. That's why they are both similar. They're both based on C. I wasn't sure if it was java or c++ that was newer so that's why I didn't say.

Point is, they ARE similar. Syntactically, and in capability. Java runs a bit slower though. Java is like C# but not microsoft owned. runs on all platforms after installing java VM, and C# does it after installing .net.

so, back on topic. If you need some help coding I can help in the summer.

And I still want to know if nexus was serious with his last insulting post.

2. Herman

Herman

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry to jump off again

I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't kidding, as Java is now what basically all mini-games are programmed in

In my VB class, maybe 2 kids weren't retarded with their coding, while maybe half had already learned some Java

Isn't as prestigious as it was thought to become...

'Tis still a language similar to C and C++

I'd give Nexus a break though, he probably only learned whatever the hell these kids in my programming class learned, which is probably very basic and discrediting

3. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    C++. You can add natives via jAPI and Grimoire helps for WEHacks and everything.

And Starcraft II is going to have more features. That editor will probably be better. But the player cap is low for sc2, I think it is around 8. :\

http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=84417

4. DesKaladA

DesKaladA

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Meh

I know some of it all so i can program really neet appsz that use like 50 diffrent languages to get stuffz done

5. Infinitynexus

Infinitynexus

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Herman, I know nothing of programming besides Java messing up my computer whenever it gets the chance, lol

And desk, you couldnt program to save your life, nuff said.

6. Darkholme

Darkholme

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Alright. since you admit your cluelessness and wouldn't be able to tell an "actual programmer" from a guy who took one class, other than you being convinced that all things java are bad, I won't slaughter you. or give you the negative rep I was going to if your explanation had not been reasonable.

Seriously though, don't go insulting people about areas in which you don't know what you're talkign about.

7. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Haha you can't even neg rep :p
    And really, not all things in java are bad, many are usefull, if only it wasnt for the horrible GUI... Anyway, java has one huge adventage: It is cross-platform.

8. Darkholme

Darkholme

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I did say that its cross platform. Like a non manopilized .net which is about 5-8 years older. I've never even tried to neg rep, so I assumed it was just a 50 rep necessary thing. Doesn't particularly matter. The point is he was being a jackass about something he knew nothing about and and it was personally insulting.

Last time I worked in java we have no gui, it was all text and a compiler. but thats just the DevKit youre using. Unless you mean the Gui you can make, cause I've seen stuff that performs the same as windows GUI.

[Edit] Looks like nobody but admins can -rep. whatever. point is he was being a god damn jopa.

9. Preskooldude

Preskooldude

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry to cut this up with an old post, but this hasn't really been corrected yet. Seeing as how Mindy himself gave me the answer to this, allow me to make a clarification:

With the release of PipeDream's Grimoire system, users have now been able to inject DLLs (Dynamic Link Libraries, wiki that if you need to) in order to implant custom natives. So no, its not through DirectX Hooks, as those would only allow the capture of Keypresses, Mousepresses, and allow some visual artwork to appear. However , since Reinventing the Craft relays this information and feeds it into Warcraft III's engine, the only way for good Mindy to do this is through Grimoire and injectable DLLs.

*cough* Sorry about that.

Now then, I honestly can't say anything about Java, since I only know what I've ported over from C/++, but the lack of pointers really cripples things. Sure, it makes up for it with multi-porting and ease of class use, but I think we can stay with our C, and you can stay with your Java. Now that that's over with, can we please get back on topic? Or maybe its good that we have some activity in this forum -.-.

10. Darkholme

Darkholme

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The entire reason that I got pissed off was someone assuming that the fact that I've taken a number of other languages means I can't code in C++ and that I'm somehow not a programmer or some shit. I was not suggesting the use of java, I was stating things I have used before frequently. I was proposing to help in C++, so please be less condescending and don't discount me and try to demean me with your "now you go run along with your java while we big people use c++" The idea that someone can use one and not the other is ludicris.

Now, in regard to the statement of my offer to help. could I get a comment on this from the person I addressed the question to (I'm pretty sure MindWurx is the main guy right?)? or just a number of other people who are going to be condescending and elitist because they have done more work in c++. I figured out Jass in a week and a half, and it's nothing like java, its closer to vb. but still different, and I haven't used vb since 2005. so I can do C++, so stop insulting me and let the person I directed the question at answer the question. Shit.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  11. MindWorX

MindWorX

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey, i'm sorry for the late response, but i actually added your MSN to mine, but it appears you don't use it much. We don't really need a coder atm, and i'm sure you'd just be a big question mark once you see the source code, it's VERY messy. But i see you're good with Java, so we might be able to figure something out. If you get on MSN we can have a better talk about your skills, and your possible position with the RtC Team.

- MindWorX

12. DesKaladA

DesKaladA

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Meh

EDIT: Please just stop all the java bashing, it works great for what it does. - MindWorX

But i'm glad to see that this project has momentum

(PS Mindy if you want site help i can write that up for you)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  13. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's what you told me too... (Regarding Apocalypse's freewebs site)

~Craka_J

14. DesKaladA

DesKaladA

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ya but when i went to update it it seemed someone already did.............

15. Frosthowl

Frosthowl

Resources:
    Resources:
    So will this miracle of a program be able to let us go past the 4 mb file size limit? Also, anyone worried what blizz will think?

16. Shadow_Fox

Shadow_Fox

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Because it will not utilize battle.net, there would not be a size limit for maps, or so i gather.

17. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I want to know more... This is cool....
    Sounds like the system is working properly and you're still encountering some flaws.

18. Someguy19

Someguy19

Resources:
    Resources:
    The project seems interesting, although I was banned due to you. D:
    Well, I don't really care about that ban, I'm just looking forward to this project being completed!

19. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Who doesn't D:! :grin::grin:

20. terradont

terradont

Resources:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I know this is impossible to know exactly, but if you would guess, how much progress have you made and how long would it take before it's finished?

I've been longing for this a while:thumbs_up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.