• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RtC - MindWorX Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Allow me to ask another question: If I just convert my GUI triggers in WE to text, and import them in a map in the RTC editor, will it work? I currently have no jass knowledge, and as I might not learn it very soon (and with me quite some fellow mappers), I wonder if I could still make my maps work in rtc

Level 7
Well ATM the WarSocAPI is nowhere near the "usable" state so it's hard to tell.
But once released we'll probably try to make it as friendly towards GUI users as possible (Jass would still be highly recommended though).
Either way simply converting your triggers to Jass will have no effect.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
It wont work, because WarSocAPI will utilize a whole new set of natives, that doesn't work in conjunction with the normal wc3 engine. So any normal triggerwork that the map will have, will only be the server that has now, and the other maps, will react to what the server tells it to do.

Level 21
I understand the jass in WE will only partly be compatible with the triggers in a warsoc map, but just for clarification: converting a GUI trigger into text does convert it into jass, right? Else I don't have a clue what the "convert into text" actually does..

Oh, and what I don't understand either (sorry, maybe I'm just dumb) is why you can't send all your actions (like cast the heal spell on a unit) to the server and from there it's sent to all other clients (like I assume it works right now in war3)

Level 7
> does convert it into jass
Well a better way to put it is "allows you to use Jass".
You see every map's script is Jass, when you add something to your GUI trigger the map's Jass adds a line somewhere that does what you want.
"Convert" just shows this current code you already had, absolutely no changes done. But it allows you full access to Jass after that.

> why you can't send all your actions
Because if one player orders a unit to cast heal and then decides to cancel for example, not all of 30 players might get that cancel order in time and...there we have a desync.

Level 21
First question: indeed it doesn't "change" anything to the trigger, as war3 automatically converts the GUI into jass when saving the map (I think so). So all I was wondering is if no custom natives would be used, converting your GUI triggers into jass and then import that jass into your map in rtc would be enough, right?
Well anyway it doesn't matter because you're using other natives

second question: k, explains it

Level 9
Since RtC modifies how you CREATE maps and is not actually a part of playing, which is why people pay for the software, i think someone should contact Blizzard and ask if they can have permission to recreate how games are MADE, not played. Since it's basically WE2, and not WCIV, i'd bet you have a good chance of getting permission to do what you need to do to make map creation better. It would also promote WC3 and Blizzard..

And the point to make is that you can't make maps without first buying the software. I'm sure they'd come to terms with whomever is to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.