• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Just a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I would have posted this in the comments thread, but it appears to be closed. Anyway, I just have a few questions.

First: The WarSoc project appears to be the one associated with the much anticipated "removal" of a 12 player limit, but I'm still unclear as to the status of the project based on the dates of posts...
A) As of January 30, 2009, is the "removal" of player number limits operational to any extent in a release version of RtC?

Second: I know that RtC modifies game files...
A) Does this mean that unless you reinstall, you will only be able to play via RtC? (IE: Will you never be able to get onto Battle.net and talk with friends and play the old-fashioned way, etc.)

Third: Since RtC modifies game files, and has an important effect on the way games work, I'm a little unclear if the making of maps will still work the same.
A) Do you need RtC on that computer to make a map that functions using RtC?
B) Are maps from unmodified Warcraft III playable via RtC?
C) Assuming that the answer to part A of question 3 is "yes": is making a map harder/less user-friendly for RtC?
D) Do you use your own map-making interface, or do you use the normal one?
E) Assuming the answer to part A of question 3 is "no": will custom interface maps (ie: ones made with World Editor Unlimited) work?
F) Assuming the answer to part B of question 3 is "no": is there an easy way of converting old maps to make them playable on RtC?

Forth: Clearly WarSoc implements an in-game chat system, but...
A) what sort of interface is used for finding games of others and joining?
B) What if that map limits the number of players (for instance, what if only six players are allowed to be there)?
C) If someone drops out or leaves, can someone new take control of their units?
D) Will there be an equivalent of general chat channels, whispers, etc?

Fifth: Reinventing the Craft has many applications on a practical level for map makers and players alike, and it's great that you're open to suggestions, but I was wondering...
A) Will RtC ever be open-source?
B) Just what are the limits of RtC on a practical level? (I know this is vague, but can you give us an idea of what you believe will never be possible to do practically with RTC, if you can think of anything).
C) RTC is, as of the day I am typing this, version .10: The list will probably be extensive, but what is left to do? Are you just working on stabilizing and bug fixing? Do you have things left to add?

Thanks, anyone who can answer any of these with any accuracy.

Level 7
> is the "removal" of player number limits operational to any extent in a release version of RtC?
That's what's being actively worked on ATM. Mindy, if you're reading this, stop wasting time on the forums and do more testing. :p

> I know that RtC modifies game files
Then you've been misinformed (I know, the current info is misleading). Any and all modifications are done once the game is loaded into the memory. Therefore, removing RtC is just removing it's own .exe file. You can always just use the original warcraft3 exes.

> Do you need RtC on that computer to make a map that functions using RtC?
No, but you can't use the world editor as its syntax checker doesn't allow you to save the map with custom natives so you'll need a tool like newgen.

> Are maps from unmodified Warcraft III playable via RtC?
Yes, but as I said, you can always play just the original wc3.

Questions C-F: Easiest explanation is to think of RtC as just another system, pretty much like the ones you can find on wc3jass.com (which it, in essence, really is, apart from the fact it's made in C++ and not Jass). It just gives you (a bunch of) new functions (natives) you can, but don't have to, use.

> Clearly WarSoc implements an in-game chat system
Not natively, but there will probably be a system/example made in Jass that you can use.

> what sort of interface is used for finding games of others and joining?
None ATM. You must know the IP of the game you're joining. We planned to use IRC as a method of reporting/finding games, but the project isn't yet mature enough to think about that further.

Questions B-D: It really depends on the mapper. When making a map, if you want a whisper system, you make it. Or possibly use one somebody else already made for RtC. Same applies for leaving, max player limit etc.

> Will RtC ever be open-source?
It was originally intended to be. However, some of the planned features like map encryption are pointless when everybody can see the source. In the final release, either those features will be dropped or we'll only release certain parts of the source.

> Just what are the limits of RtC on a practical level?
We can:
-do what C++ and it's standard library allow
-do what the Windows API allows
-call most of the natives the game already has
It might seem like a short list, but that's really all we needed so far.
Anything else is not possible and might never be (like changing a unit's model for example).
However, some recent reversing of more engine code (with help from PipeDream and his grimoire source code) might have allowed the following:
-manipulating Unit Editor data (right now only reading it)
-manipulating unit data (setting and getting a unit's armor is the only thing that seems to work for now)
-manipulating tooltips (still needs more testing)
-manipulating unit and hero names

> but what is left to do?
A lot changed since 0.10, in fact, the whole thing had to be rebuilt because of patch 1.22. Right now we're testing the natives we have so far. Once that's done and everything is working as it should, we'll try to create a map to see what other natives might be needed. As soon as we have a working map, a beta version is born. After that, we'll see what direction the project will take.

Hope the answers were clear. Feel free to ask for clarification if they aren't. :)

Level 5
Thanks for the speedy responses. I have a new question now.

The game cache only works in single player. Since RTC only works in single player, would it be possible to utilize the game cache for functions like saving heroes, items, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.