• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Project WarSoc"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
No a deal could mean that the server like for example gg-game platform server base their wc3 gameplay with ur moddified engine. We know already that battle net couldn't do that, but private servers see the benefit of it.

I don't know about that. Maybe. I'll see how the project goes. It would be interesting, but i'm not sure people would notice this project much. Kinda hard to get known when DotA is around.

Level 7
Boooah, WarSoc would be so freaking awesome! I've always wanted to creat a real ORPG :grin:

Keep up the good work :infl_thumbs_up: and don't read the posts here anymore, work instead :-D

(PS: About how long will it take untill we can use this cool tool? And is it legal... or do I get into prison :) ? )

but i'm not sure people would notice this project much.

I'm sure they would notice it. I've noticed it too :)

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
About how long will it take untill we can use this cool tool? And is it legal... or do I get into prison?

I'm not completely sure when this will be completed, but i'm hoping for a beta release within the next few months. But that's not guarrenteed, it's based on how well it's going now, but i might run into problems that will cause it to be longer. And yes, it's legal, and no you wont go to prison. ;)

Shameless bump...

Level 7
Thanks for response. You would be my hero if this would be working :grin:

PS: Will it be possible to use game-caches to store things, so that they can be used in the next game again. On multiplayer game-caches get deleted after the game... ... This would be very helpful to make orpgs...

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Thanks for response. You would be my hero if this would be working :grin:

PS: Will it be possible to use game-caches to store things, so that they can be used in the next game again. On multiplayer game-caches get deleted after the game... ... This would be very helpful to make orpgs...

It's possible yes. But don't expect the game-cache to be the same on all computers, they'll only have the data you save for each player.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Mindy, I wasn't worrying about it being intercepted, but rather it being edited. Character information could be editted if stored locally.

Right, it's up to the users of WarSoc how they will handle traffic, but the standard package will use something as secure as possible, without too much waste traffic. I mean, keeping all variables on the server is safe, but will require some T3 connection to handle a small amount of players.

Level 27
I was using the World Editor one day, but I couldn't find the "Allow users to join after the game starts" checkbox. I was very disappointed.

Are you going to edit the main menus?
Can't you just save all the data when the server shuts down or the user logs off?
Can you change the ConvertRace and ConvertRacePref natives so that there can be more races?

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Level 27
In what way?
Edit the main menus for a login screen or server selection list.

Not sure what you mean?
Character data. It needs to be stored on the server, so characters not in use could be saved instead of using memory, and when the server shuts down you would need to save the data.

I can't do that sorry, that would require me to reverse engineer some code.
Dang. My quest for a fifth melee race continues...

Level 6
This project is the best news since Wc3 came out. I'm a big fan of the game and the mapping community, and I really want to see a big revitalization of Wc3 in all of it's aspects.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Edit the main menus for a login screen or server selection list.
That would be reverse engineering again, i might create an external application for this, but no guarrenteed.
Character data. It needs to be stored on the server, so characters not in use could be saved instead of using memory, and when the server shuts down you would need to save the data.
Already doing that using mySQL.
This project is the best news since Wc3 came out. I'm a big fan of the game and the mapping community, and I really want to see a big revitalization of Wc3 in all of it's aspects.
That's what i'm hoping to do with this project, start a new spark in people, so that there will be a new bunch of maps released, that will use this.

Level 2
Hmmmm I think a First Person Shooter could be really cool. You could have like abilities for gernades, when u select a unit it deselects and selects ur self and it dmgs the enemy unit, i have some really cool ideas for it, viewed out of your own eyes through special camera, it could be a huge hit if you made like 50 players!

Level 9
Hey Mind are you adding complete keyboard detection?
So lets say triggers can detect spacebar or tab being pressed?

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Hmmmm I think a First Person Shooter could be really cool. You could have like abilities for gernades, when u select a unit it deselects and selects ur self and it dmgs the enemy unit, i have some really cool ideas for it, viewed out of your own eyes through special camera, it could be a huge hit if you made like 50 players!
That shouldn't be impossible, i've already added mouse support to the natives, and i made a first person view using it. Very easy.

Hey Mind are you adding complete keyboard detection?
So lets say triggers can detect spacebar or tab being pressed?

I can't make it an "event", say "if player clicks 'key'", but i can make natives to check key states, like, to check if SPACE is pressed, or check if TAB is pressed. This, along with a periodic trigger, will make a nice movement system.

That shouldn't be impossible, i've already added mouse support to the natives, and i made a first person view using it. Very easy.

I can't make it an "event", say "if player clicks 'key'", but i can make natives to check key states, like, to check if SPACE is pressed, or check if TAB is pressed. This, along with a periodic trigger, will make a nice movement system.

OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT IS EXACTLY WHY MY PROJECT FAILED 0.0

i might redo it from scratch with custom nativez :)

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Are you sure this is legal? Hopefully it is, but have you looked into it?

I was looking around briefly online and I came across this http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/02/news_6132467.html

From what i've gathered, reverse engineering is the real issue, and screwing with battle.net is an issue too, since i'm doing none of those things, i'm pretty sure what i'm doing is legal. It might not be something blizzard is going to suggest, but i don't think they're going to do a cease'n'desist either. But if they do, then i'll shut down the project, tho i think it would be a bad move, since my project might increase the sales of Warcraft III, because of renewed fun and features.

The only project i see blizzard might be having issues with is Project WarSoc itself, since it adds a secondary way to play multiplayer games.

Leo

Leo

Level 1
From what i've gathered, reverse engineering is the real issue, and screwing with battle.net is an issue too, since i'm doing none of those things, i'm pretty sure what i'm doing is legal. It might not be something blizzard is going to suggest, but i don't think they're going to do a cease'n'desist either. But if they do, then i'll shut down the project, tho i think it would be a bad move, since my project might increase the sales of Warcraft III, because of renewed fun and features.

The only project i see blizzard might be having issues with is Project WarSoc itself, since it adds a secondary way to play multiplayer games.

the main part I am concerned about is the multiplayer aspect - sorry forgot to clarify that.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to email Blizzard and notify them of the project. I was just thinking if I was the one doing all this work, I wouldn't want blizzard to come telling me to stop after put in countless hours.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
the main part I am concerned about is the multiplayer aspect - sorry forgot to clarify that.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to email Blizzard and notify them of the project. I was just thinking if I was the one doing all this work, I wouldn't want blizzard to come telling me to stop after put in countless hours.

Problem is, contacting them by email, will get me a standard respones, waiting for them to notice me, will give a personal response. Either way is bad, but i would rather wait for the personal one.

Level 12
The defendants in the case, Ross Combs and Rob Crittenden, reverse-engineered the Blizzard protocol using tools like "tcpdump" to listen to the software's communications with a game server. Eventually, their "bnetd" project let Blizzard games connect with unofficial servers, yielding benefits like faster response times.

Holy shit... I think I'm in deep trouble for that

Leo

Leo

Level 1
Problem is, contacting them by email, will get me a standard respones, waiting for them to notice me, will give a personal response. Either way is bad, but i would rather wait for the personal one.

ah well, best of luck

Level 8
Will any of our mpq files still work with the WarSoc map format ?

Is it possibe to make a program that goes through our old jass and adds your custom nanativs to it ?

You said that all spells will have to be triggerd. Does this mean that the spell resource section will start accepting triggered versions of spells that already exist in the WE OE.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Will any of our mpq files still work with the WarSoc map format ?

Is it possibe to make a program that goes through our old jass and adds your custom nanativs to it ?

There is very few things added to the mpq's, so making your old mpq's work with WarSoc shouldn't be impossible, and a program that does it should be possible too, but not something i'd know how to do.
You said that all spells will have to be triggered. Does this mean that the spell resource section will start accepting triggered versions of spells that already exist in the WE OE.

The spell section will most likely not accept spells that are made specifically for WarSoc, but if there's enough interest, i'll make a small resource subforum.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
I didn't quite get the last answer. Does it mean that all existing (default) will have to be coded/triggered? Heal, Divine Shield, and all of them?

Yes. The problem is the way my project will handles data online. I need to keep everything syncronized, and if a normal ability isn't syncronised, that means it wont work. It might look like it works on your client, but the others wont see it.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
That's weird. If a Heal was used on my unit, the unit would obviously gain 25 HP. Assuming it was 200 HP, it would be 225 HP in my client but still 200 on the other clients?

Exactly. Remember, to avoid lawsuits and any legal issues, i'm working around blizzards own multiplayer competely. This means you'll be starting a singleplayer map, and then tell the map which game to syncronize to, and it'll start syncing. But normal abilities can't be synced without massive triggerwork, this is why i decided to make all abilities require complete triggering. But it's going to be easy, no worries. There will be a whole package similar to vexorians spell system, but that works with WarSoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.