• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Power Abuse

Power Abuse

• Some do Abuse

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • No they dont abuse

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
> Option six - The moderator hates that user

This should never under any condition be used as a reason to take some action against someone. Except perhaps -reputation, as that is what the system is designed for.

That's the very definition of power abuse. There is no reason to ban someone if you simply dislike them.
And I feel that a lot of what happens here stems from these things.
Staff members need to be impartial in order to properly enforce the rules when it comes to things of this nature.

I have logs of him clearly abusing his power.
Yeah, and you made a admin contact thread about it posting them, PMed ralle and others, MSNed or some other form of IMing them, talked to them about it in chat, untill you finnaly got to have a huge conversation, showing proof and aguing back in forth untill they saw you were really right then BACKED OUT AND DIDNT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! :slp: :angry: :nemad:

Level 12
> Option six - The moderator hates that user

This should never under any condition be used as a reason to take some action against someone. Except perhaps -reputation, as that is what the system is designed for.

That's the very definition of power abuse. There is no reason to ban someone if you simply dislike them.
And I feel that a lot of what happens here stems from these things.
Staff members need to be impartial in order to properly enforce the rules when it comes to things of this nature.

You think people simply hate eachother without a reason???

There is always a reason a person hates somebody else, that is pretty much given in that "option 6"

The system obviously trusts the mods judgement, hence does not request for a specific reason on hating them

Saying it should never be used is going far too aggressively about it, as there is obviously more to it, if I was in charge, I would probably remove it, as it really doesn't give any specific reason and could lead to corruption, very easily at that, but it is no where near power abuse

Power abuse is using power to make gains at the expense of others, the only kind of gain a mod could possibly get from this site is perhaps a sick sadistic satisfaction of bothering somebody who wants to go on a forum

Hence, I think this whole thread is truly ridiculous, as the mods really have nothing to abuse

If something serious was going on, like for instance a mod is up against somebody in a competition, and then bans them so they can't par-take because they are afraid of losing, that would be serious, and I am 100% sure the admins would jump all over it

Level 22
Merriam Webster Dictionary said:
Abuse - improper or excessive use or treatment

I think that banning someone because you don't like them falls under this category.

If you ban someone because they do things that break the rules and you dislike them because of that, fine.
But if that person hasn't broken the rules or something of the sort and you dislike them for some other reason, then it would not be justified.

If you have some other reason for banning someone, use that - not the fact you don't like that person.

> You think people simply hate eachother without a reason???

I think there is certainly a reason, but it may not at all justify a ban or a moderation type action against that person.

Level 10
Originally Posted by inverted
lol yesterday i broke a kids collar bone

Well guess what? Yesterday we actually cared about what you sa-oops, I'm sorry, that was a lie. We never gave a damn about you or anything you have to say, especially stupid stuff like this. Also, your ability at telling any sort of anecdote is miserable and you should feel ashamed

Mecheon gave this rude response too an anecdote i told in the OFF-TOPIC chat. This kid was annoying and i accidentally broke his collar bone. He didn't need too be so rude and give me neg rep, its in off topic for a frickin reason.

Level 8
Hence, I think this whole thread is truly ridiculous, as the mods really have nothing to abuse
The poll is suggesting otherwise. 3:1. So now you're going to reply back that the majority of voters are idiots and know nothing about what they're talking about? It may well be possible, but what a coincidence that would be!
The thread would have been ridiculous only if the majority were in favour of moderators which would mean that the topic creator would have said something completely bullshit which is not the case here. I don't think it only applies to power abuses, but also to verbal ones as some may have suggested in this thread.

By the way, I'm not giving my thoughts on the subject here. It was only an analysis of the poll.

Level 8
Isn't it usually just a mod having fun by banning someone then quickly unbanning them?
WAHAHAHAHA OMFG I'M BANNING HIM IT'S SO FUNNY HAHAHAHA.

Some people would laugh at that. There are no better ways to entertain people than that, don't you think so?

Level 22
> Isn't it usually just a mod having fun by banning someone then quickly unbanning them?

Irrelevant. Whether or not the person was actually "hurt" by the action isn't important. It still qualifies as abuse.

I think that some people around here are far too flippant with their powers.

If you're a Deontologist, you would say that the ends of some action never justify the means, which you are advocating in this situation. Though, this gets into philosophy, and I don't really want to go there....

Level 45
Isn't it usually just a mod having fun by banning someone then quickly unbanning them?
I do that for good reason, why? Because banning them in small intervals only encourages them to egg the mod on and for them to never learn their lesson. You make them realize you are capable of kicking their ass hard and give them a slap on the wrist.
However, if its done for no reason, just to annoy it shouldn't be done, if its just a joke that is mutual then thats fine aswell, as long as its not done over board and the mods powers don't become shiney toys on on a well cleaned desk.
edit: I was disgusted abit back, how the mods were kicking eachother for fun ( realllllly huge kickfest), so I banned them for using their powers like that.

Level 8
Pfff talk about having nothing else to do... Kicking each other for fun endlessly, that just makes em look like a bunch of kids fooling around.

Level 8
Waa! This is so hard! Just the rules!

So that's the member's rules... Shouldn't the mods do the same?
These general rules are in force globally for The Hive Workshop (THW). Unless stated otherwise in individual areas, they govern all forums, resource sections, private messages and the chat room. These rules apply equally to all users, moderators and administrators.

Level 36
Furthermore, Mecheon is not a 'kid'. To refer to him in such disrespectful tones makes me want to reach through my monitor and smack you in the head.

You acting like a jerk off in general, your lack of intelligence, arrogance, etc, is what makes me feel that Mecheon was completely justified in knocking you down a few notches, otherwise you might get crushed under the weight of your own ego.

You come across to me as saying "Well who the fuck is he to talk to me like that?!"

When in reality the situation is more reversed. Who the fuck are you to question him? He's a shitload more intelligent than you (Maybe why he's a Global Mod and you're not) and is clearly bitter and cynical.

If you can't handle it, then go cry somewhere else. Please. Crying noobs are almost as annoying as Naruto fans.

Level 12
I think that banning someone because you don't like them falls under this category.

If you ban someone because they do things that break the rules and you dislike them because of that, fine.
But if that person hasn't broken the rules or something of the sort and you dislike them for some other reason, then it would not be justified.

If you have some other reason for banning someone, use that - not the fact you don't like that person.

> You think people simply hate eachother without a reason???

I think there is certainly a reason, but it may not at all justify a ban or a moderation type action against that person.

I feel as if you either skimmed over my post quickly without understanding it, or completely missed the meaning of it

I do agree with almost all of the points you have made, except I'm trying to get across that that really isn't awful at all, in fact it is designed for trusting the mods, as I have heard it is fairly difficult to become a mod, it works fine

Aye, if it is a real bother that should not be a reason

Btw, quoting the dictionary really doesn't mean anything, those terms are extremely subjective

Ex. You would probably say the Nazis were abusing their power by killing off millions of Jews, while Hitler would say it was justifiable
Comparing my definition to the one you produced, there are many such cases as this, and none of them would define who was abusing power with your definition
While clearly the one I had stated, Hitler is obviously in the wrong

You might say, OMG YOU CAN'T FIGHT THE DICTIONARY!!!, but then again I could go through my whole life letting other people find definition for me

The poll is suggesting otherwise. 3:1. So now you're going to reply back that the majority of voters are idiots and know nothing about what they're talking about? It may well be possible, but what a coincidence that would be!
The thread would have been ridiculous only if the majority were in favour of moderators which would mean that the topic creator would have said something completely bullshit which is not the case here. I don't think it only applies to power abuses, but also to verbal ones as some may have suggested in this thread.

By the way, I'm not giving my thoughts on the subject here. It was only an analysis of the poll.

First off, too late you already gave your thoughts

Secondly, Nah, when a person refers to the uneducated masses they are actually speaking of a 1:1 ratio of morons to people who actually know what the hell they are talking about

Third, this topic IS complete bullshit if you honest to god can't take reading text that offends you, I believe you are a worthless sack of sh*t and don't deserve to live, others who are more sympathetic would say you should just go outside

For chrissake its a f*cking box that has little images on it, and in all honesty, it would give such people some practice in what its like to socialize with predatory people

EDIT

I don't feel like finding the persons post to quote it, but if you haven't realized this I am thoroughly interested in philosophy, not in the traditional sense of studying it, as I believe anybody who quotes some great philosophers is just trying to look smart

But more so in my own findings in social structures, and with people I have met

You probably don't want my opinion on this, but I am a bored jackass and will put it here anyway

Philosophies apply to all of the people in the group whom can be persuaded into it, the philosophies of the ones who have the power to change the ways (or to keep them the same) will be the philosophies of the group as a whole, until/unless there is some kind of interaction of building potential social energies (Ex. pissing off the peasants and not giving them their bread)

If you'd like, I could go at this for the next 2 weeks, but I'd prefer you make another thread about it (I'm too lazy to do that, and I might not even post in it)

[That adds another reason as to why I think this thread is dumb and pointless, as really there is not going to be a change, hence the ones who argue against the mods are wasting their time, and are really only arguing because they have been irritated previously and are bothered by it, or they have an ego and want to seem intelligent for self-satisfaction]

Level 22
> I'm trying to get across that that really isn't awful at all, in fact it is designed for trusting the mods, as I have heard it is fairly difficult to become a mod, it works fine

Well, I don't think the site is going to die because of it.
But that's being too extreme.

I think this is something that needs to be watched for the time being.

> quoting the dictionary really doesn't mean anything, those terms are extremely subjective

Yes. You're right. What is up for debate here and now is whether or not there was improper or excessive use of the power.

> You might say, OMG YOU CAN'T FIGHT THE DICTIONARY!!!

While that is the definition of the word, how it applies to this situation is up for debate.

Level 12
Aye, you are correct

I s'pose it really would be a bit too much to give the mods such power, I would never trust anybody to do things on their own anyway so I'm gonna hafta agree with you

A simple change to get rid of that option should be easy enough

Yeah that last part was for the new kids who just jump in and leave a single post, it could have easily been mis-understood as having a little bit of mockery to it, and for that I apologize

Level 10
Furthermore, Mecheon is not a 'kid'. To refer to him in such disrespectful tones makes me want to reach through my monitor and smack you in the head.

You acting like a jerk off in general, your lack of intelligence, arrogance, etc, is what makes me feel that Mecheon was completely justified in knocking you down a few notches, otherwise you might get crushed under the weight of your own ego.

You come across to me as saying "Well who the fuck is he to talk to me like that?!"

When in reality the situation is more reversed. Who the fuck are you to question him? He's a shitload more intelligent than you (Maybe why he's a Global Mod and you're not) and is clearly bitter and cynical.

If you can't handle it, then go cry somewhere else. Please. Crying noobs are almost as annoying as Naruto fans.

You misunderstood me. I was talking about the kid whos collar bone i broke. i wasnt refferring too mecheon when i said kid.
And i think this is a rather uncalled for response. my point was that i broke this kids collar bone then mecheon made a rude comment about it. I was sharing part of my life with the community he doesesnt have to be so bitter. And this thread is about power abuse, i cant neg rep somone so he shouldent neg rep me for sharing a story about myself. I came here to "cry" as you would say because thats what this thread is. Who here isnt crying about somone getting banned or somone abusing their power.

Level 8
First off, too late you already gave your thoughts
Secondly, Nah, when a person refers to the uneducated masses they are actually speaking of a 1:1 ratio of morons to people who actually know what the hell they are talking about
My thoughts on the poll in this post only. And what makes you think these are uneducated masses?

Third, this topic IS complete bullshit if you honest to god can't take reading text that offends you, I believe you are a worthless sack of sh*t and don't deserve to live, others who are more sympathetic would say you should just go outside

Name calling is irrelevant to the discussion.

For chrissake its a f*cking box that has little images on it, and in all honesty, it would give such people some practice in what its like to socialize with predatory people
That means that box is worthless?

[That adds another reason as to why I think this thread is dumb and pointless, as really there is not going to be a change, hence the ones who argue against the mods are wasting their time, and are really only arguing because they have been irritated previously and are bothered by it, or they have an ego and want to seem intelligent for self-satisfaction]
Answer these questions for me then. What causes the irritation of the members?
Why do people talk about serious topics such as abortion etc although in the end it won't change anything?

Stop posting in this thread if you find it pointless.

Level 26
> Isn't it usually just a mod having fun by banning someone then quickly unbanning them?

Irrelevant. Whether or not the person was actually "hurt" by the action isn't important. It still qualifies as abuse.
Yes, it is important whether or not someone is hurt by it. If no one suffers from it, why should anyone care? Isn't that the point of a non-abuse rule anyways?
WAHAHAHAHA OMFG I'M BANNING HIM IT'S SO FUNNY HAHAHAHA.

Some people would laugh at that. There are no better ways to entertain people than that, don't you think so?
It is funny sometimes. No amount of sarcastic laughing can change that. And not every joke has to be a storm of laughter. One simply has to have a playful demeanor to lighten up a mood.
Mecheon gave this rude response too an anecdote i told in the OFF-TOPIC chat. This kid was annoying and i accidentally broke his collar bone. He didn't need too be so rude and give me neg rep, its in off topic for a frickin reason.
KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OFF-TOPIC AND SPAM.

Level 8
It is funny sometimes. No amount of sarcastic laughing can change that. And not every joke has to be a storm of laughter. One simply has to have a playful demeanor to lighten up a mood.
To be honest, a normal joke would be better.

While that is the definition of the word, how it applies to this situation is up for debate.
Well written Rules shouldn't leave any room for debate in my opinion. The situations in which it should be applied must already be predefined in the rules. It's not now that we're going to debate about them.

Level 45
You misunderstood me. I was talking about the kid whos collar bone i broke. i wasnt refferring too mecheon when i said kid.
And i think this is a rather uncalled for response. my point was that i broke this kids collar bone then mecheon made a rude comment about it. I was sharing part of my life with the community he doesesnt have to be so bitter. And this thread is about power abuse, i cant neg rep somone so he shouldent neg rep me for sharing a story about myself. I came here to "cry" as you would say because thats what this thread is. Who here isnt crying about somone getting banned or somone abusing their power.

To answer your post, that thread was idiotic, selfish and pointless. Just because your "sharing a part of your life" doesn't make it constructive.
From what I saw you were clearly boasting about an issue no one but you would care about.

Level 12
Why do I feel as if all people who read my posts completely miss the points?

Ok, I'll start at the bottom, the irritation is caused generally by being dumb or wrong, and somebody had to set them straight (so they are pissed off at the mods)

We are not talking about people here, we are talking about bloggers, and this has absolutely nothing to do with abortion, I am talking specifically about this discussion, please don't put words into my mouth

Not interested in my philosophy, awesome

At what point did I say the box was worthless??????
Please do not put words into my mouth

I was trying to get at that in terms of a persons life and their emotions being hurt, all they are looking at is some text on a screen, nothing potentially damaging

Next, I s'pose you don't want my opinion on this matter, but that is my opinion, whether it be a cruel grouping of individuals, or another form of expression
EDIT - Also, maybe you wouldn't agree, but I bet a good many others would agree with me on what these people are

Not addign your opinion, thats pretty much completely lying about your own post, but ok fine, no prob

Lastly, what does the term 'noob' mean to you???
As I'm sure many of such 'noobs' whom are quite un-intelligent would post as the mods being sometimes kinda sorta maybe perhaps abusing their power, rather than they don't at all

I'm not sure if you noticed that there was only two options, one extreme, and one moderate, so this poll I would also say is BS, as I was gonna vote 'because they are human they have flaws' but I felt like fighting :smile:, and that really isn't fair poll taking to make people choose between being moderate and safe on both sides or extreme and needing to fight for your opinion
(one option is a logical compromise, the other isn't, there must be a third option that isn't a logical compromise in the middle for these poll results to be accurate)

Level 26
"Better"? What is "better"? Can you tell the quality of a joke just by the category it is in? Then you have quite a discriminatory sense of humor there.

If you mean "better" by offending less people, no one should care. I'd still rather watch Saving Private Ryan than Monsters Inc. any day.

Level 12

Well written Rules shouldn't leave any room for debate in my opinion. The situations in which it should be applied must already be predefined in the rules. It's not now that we're going to debate about them.

What does that have to do with the definition of a word ???

Level 8
What does that have to do with the definition of a word ???
Re-read the posts before his and you will understand. If you have noticed in a dictionary, a word can be applied in different situations.

Off topic: The reason I didn't reply to your other posts were because they were confusing. So that's probably why everyone is missing out your points.

"Better"? What is "better"? Can you tell the quality of a joke just by the category it is in? Then you have quite a discriminatory sense of humor there.

If you mean "better" by offending less people, no one should care. I'd still rather watch Saving Private Ryan than Monsters Inc. any day.
Who isn't?
Obviously, not all jokes are the same and it's just a personal preference. I even prefer racist jokes over the humorous bans (can't find them funny enough)

Off topic: I'm off to bed. See you guys tomorrow.

Last edited:
Level 22
> If no one suffers from it, why should anyone care?

Universality.
Part of Immanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative argues that if you do not uphold a standard universally, you have an immoral standard. It must be applied in all circumstances in order for it to be moral.

It's the general principle we're talking about here. With this, I'm going off of what will actually affect the site. I realize that quibbling over this sort of thing will probably not help the site in the long run.
However, I wish to establish why I think this should be the case. If you start setting up a standard of power abuse in "fun" situations, who determines what makes it funny? How do you know when the line is crossed?

I question the "explanations" provided in this thread.

I would really like someone to come up with a good, solid argument that could possibly convince me that the staff should put up with these kind of actions.

If this site is to look respectable, you can't have staff members treating their powers like it's just any old thing. There is responsibility that comes with that. And I fully believe you should live up to that responsibility.

Level 8
Just something I would like to say again... It's hard to become a mod in THW, but it's also hard for the admins to take actions on mods. It's simply not done.

Level 40
Part of Immanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative argues that if you do not uphold a standard universally, you have an immoral standard. It must be applied in all circumstances in order for it to be moral.
How are you disrespecting someone if they are in on the so called "joke" (The rule refers to treating all users with dignity and respect, regardless of rank)?

I'm sort've neutral on the whole banning-with-consent-for-fun thing, not sure where my opinion lies, but I'm not sure that that argument is sound.

The example seems more to refer to something like... Moderator power in general, in which case Kant is pretty much stating the obvious (Philosophers have to in many cases, yes, but does that really change this debate?)

And I think it's useless to argue that there is no power abuse in anyones' eyes, since it is subjective interpretation as to what defines it in the first place (for example, many users banned for legitimate reasons whine about it), and the discussion should be more geared towards where the line is drawn, how much is present, and how it should be responded to (Warnings, temporary demotions, full demotions, other)?

Level 15
Just something I would like to say again... It's hard to become a mod in THW, but it's also hard for the admins to take actions on mods. It's simply not done.
That is true at times. One of the biggest hindrances is mainly that admins are not always around to see every little thing that happens. And even if people report the problem, it remains hard to ascertain all sides of the argument if you didn't witness it firsthand. And punishing moderators is a serious decision; thus, it must be based on good evidence and have a very strong reason.

Level 26
However, I wish to establish why I think this should be the case. If you start setting up a standard of power abuse in "fun" situations, who determines what makes it funny? How do you know when the line is crossed?
If I were to use the word "rape" in chat, it would be up to the mod in power to judge whether or not the context was fitting in a way of which did not denote obscene behavior.
If this site is to look respectable, you can't have staff members treating their powers like it's just any old thing. There is responsibility that comes with that. And I fully believe you should live up to that responsibility.
The chat is a boiling pit of despair anyways. If you're looking for respectability, turn your head the other way or make the chat rules A LOT stricter.

Level 17
I wish some of you people would stop crying about negative reputaton.

Everyone gets -Rep every now and then, some more than others. You'll own bring more on yourself if you don't PM the -Repper with a VERY SENSIBLE message concerning it. If you suddenly start with the waterworks then screaming words you're currently reading from a dictionary, then you really need to grow up. I say that because I was once of of you people who bitch about rep...

Oh, and can't you maybe censor names? I'd find it degrading and pressurising if I had 10 or 15 people saying "Oh yeah, Kaitech iz mega abuzer"... Give the mods a break and stop giving them a bad name. As I said, EF uses his power for good alot more than bad.

Oh, and stretching a bit far back to firelord's post. Yes, you have been acting MUCH better than before, but that's not exactly satisfactable, The rules state that there's no religious talk, quite clearly because you could cause ****loads of war if you say the wrong things. Stupid comments will always get some kind of punishment, hence Inverted's bitching. Also, people seem to dis-agree with the whole "Freedom of Speech" so you just have to watch what you're talking about. Also, Who cares if you get banned?? What are you missing out on...

Yeah, and you made a admin contact thread about it posting them, PMed ralle and others, MSNed or some other form of IMing them, talked to them about it in chat, untill you finnaly got to have a huge conversation, showing proof and aguing back in forth untill they saw you were really right then BACKED OUT AND DIDNT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! :slp: :angry: :nemad:

Of course I have. I've been sending all my logs to Mecheon.

Level 22
Whining should not get you anywhere.

Anyway, we were talking about abuse of power....
And people who whine shouldn't be shut down unless they do it consistently. Which admittedly probably happens most of the time. But then it's spamming and needs to be stopped.

Level 25
Yeesh, I leave you people alone for 3 days...

Okay, lets have some fun here

Why don't hive make a system where in only the highest, highly respected Moderator be the one to ban a User...?

Because then if someone spams when almighty moderator of doom isn't on, there's absolutely nothing anyone else can do to stop him without the power to ban the offender?

Punishment for the sake of punishment never helped anyone. Punishment is meant to teach people.

Not everyone wants to learn. Some people are just here to annoy us. We feel no remorse for showing them the door, head first

LawlDamn, I thought I'd witness a mod fight :sad:

This SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SOMEDAY... Yeah, I'll stop there

If it's funny, like in Chat =P

SPEAKING of that, guess who's got a 5 point infraction headed their way?

Hint: Its you

Off topic involves discussion. It does not involve you spewing forth whatever random mess you think up. That is what Something Else exists for. The part of your life you shared was about 5 words in a topic with no room for discussion or anything. If it was in Something Else, you would have gotten off scot free, but you just happened to find me on a day when I was really, really, really annoyed at something

Anywho, I rarely ban at all. I do tend to kick a fair bit, especially Ralle or anyone stealthed in the chat, but that's always given a fair lead up for plus ten hilarity

Level 14
Yeah, no one likes you either Pyritie.

MANY people like Pyritie , I don't think that you'll ever get that much people to like you Brad.dude03 , So if no one likes Pyritie , Then I wonder how many people likes you.

I've never ever seen anyone do anything against Power abuse except Mecheon and some times Ralle , Would be fun if ALL mods would do the same , *Add Wolverabid too* , Well that's the people I've ever seen doing anything against Power abuse.

Of course I have. I've been sending all my logs to Mecheon.
So hurray, You sent them to one moderator\admin. I really doubt youve made a very big attempt to be noticed.

Anyways, clearly there is problems somewere, wether it be mods abusing power or not, that are not being solved or discussed properly. Making a poll of how many people think the mods are ABUSEIVE11!!! Isnt going to do much.

Level 14
user_image.php

O Noz , I got neg reped for telling that to Earth-Fury.
I think that was seen as a flame , If so sorry.

Level 10
Off topic involves discussion. It does not involve you spewing forth whatever random mess you think up. That is what Something Else exists for. The part of your life you shared was about 5 words in a topic with no room for discussion or anything. If it was in Something Else, you would have gotten off scot free, but you just happened to find me on a day when I was really, really, really annoyed at something

Anywho, I rarely ban at all. I do tend to kick a fair bit, especially Ralle or anyone stealthed in the chat, but that's always given a fair lead up for plus ten hilarity

sorry i caught you on an off day and i shouldve explained the story a bit more. can i have my rep back now?

Status
Not open for further replies.