• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Power Abuse

Power Abuse

• Some do Abuse

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • No they dont abuse

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Pyritie, if someone is ban or kicked, that person will have done something bad previously. There are no cases when I've seen someone join, not say anything wrong, and simply be punished for no reason (because it hasn't happened).

SantaBla said:
And it's not very professional to do that in my eyes either...
And since when are the moderators professionals?

Level 8
Pyritie, if someone is ban or kicked, that person will have done something bad previously. There are no cases when I've seen someone join, not say anything wrong, and simply be punished for no reason (because it hasn't happened).

Let me rephrase what I said. I don't mean professional as in real life. They should act professional for the better, not be professionals themselves. And if a mod starts banning people just for "fun", then that person is not taking his mod job seriously enough and people like them remind me a lot of abusive bnet shamans too.

Level 20
Pyritie, replay or it didn't happen.

SantaBla said:
And if a mod starts banning people just for "fun", then that person is not taking his mod job seriously enough and they remind me a lot of bnet shamans too.
Too serious, not serious enough? Make a decision for god's sake!
People aren't banned for "fun". They are banned for GOOD reasons while entertaining other sane members, because the bans are obviously funny.
On another note, being a moderator is not a job. We are offering our service to you. If you are not happy, make a thread about every single moderator you hate in admin contact or something, and hope they get demoted or killed. In any case, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT IN PUBLIC (clearly stated in the rules).

Level 8
Pyritie, replay or it didn't happen.

People aren't banned for "fun". They are banned for GOOD reasons while entertaining other sane members, because the bans are obviously funny.
On another note, being a moderator is not a job. We are offering our service to you. If you are not happy, make a thread about every single moderator you hate in admin contact or something, and hope they get demoted or killed. In any case, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT IN PUBLIC (clearly stated in the rules).

1. You didn't understand me.
Too serious when a mod starts screaming at people.
Not enough serious when a mod starts banning people for fun.
It clearly depends on what specific task they're doing. I never meant it for all the tasks of a mod to be either all too serious or not serious enough of course. That would be nonsense.

2. Ok fine, it's not a job, it's a task seriously geez...

3. You're advancing the discussion too fast. I NEVER pointed any fingers at any moderator, you seem to be offended and upset by what I said. I was merely giving my thoughts what if a mod does the things that Pyritie mentioned.

Level 20
SantaBla said:
Too serious when a mod starts screaming at people.
Not enough serious when a mod starts banning people for fun.
What came first, the chicken or the egg?
What came first, the time when a moderator screamed at a user for not following the rules, or the time when a moderator banned that same guy?

SantaBla said:
you seem to be offended and upset by what I said
You assume too much.
As a wise man once said: "When you assume, U make an ASS out of ME"
I'm not offended at all. I've seen too many of these thread/discussions, and I'm trying to remind you and every other user active in this thread to go directly to admin contact, as stated in the rules, if you have a problem with any member of this site, including moderators. Might you also consider that I wasn't directly talking to you.

Level 8
What came first, the chicken or the egg?
What came first, the time when a moderator screamed at a user for not following the rules, or the time when a moderator banned that same guy?

A mod should not be overly serious. (I'm not sure if it's the correct words to use) (same level of seriousness I meant)

You assume too much.
As a wise man once said: "When you assume, U make an ASS out of ME"
I'm not offended at all. I've seen too many of these thread/discussions, and I'm trying to remind you and every other user active in this thread to go directly to admin contact, as stated in the rules, if you have a problem with any member of this site, including moderators. Might you also consider that I wasn't directly talking to you.

Then why did you ask me to take them to an admin? If you were talking to me directly, then it would be an assumption that I had a problem with a user but since you're not directly addressing me, then that message should have been on a separate post to avoid confusion.
But don't worry about me, If I have a real problem with a moderator, I'll let an admin know.

Anyways, I'm going to bed for now and stopping this discussion now. It's pointless for now.

Changing topic:
By the way, I just want to know what all the users (mods and admin included) think of the current poll results. BS or not BS?

Last edited:
Level 40
Yeah on my first day i got neg rep i didnt know any better so they should give a way to get rid of this retarted neg rep
If you feel it was unfair or that you have changed your ways (especially since that was your first time), you can appeal it in Admin Contact if you really care.

And I don't disagree in the slightest with the poll results (hell, I voted with "Some do abuse", and some always will).

Level 15
For the record no one here is a professional moderator/administrator. We are all amateurs.

That said, yes there is power abuse. The biggest source of it I've seen is when staff members become somewhat biased against certain members and automatically assume that the member will behave badly.

We should all endeavor to not let the past obscure our judgment. I know I've made this mistake at times, and for that I sincerely apologize.

That said, let's all keep each other accountable. And if you see power abuse continuing, please take screenshots and keep us apprised using the Admin Contact forum.

Level 27
Yeah on my first day i got neg rep i didnt know any better so they should give a way to get rid of this retarted neg rep
That's what warnings are for.
Is it EVER fun to deal with those kinds of people?
common.j
Pyritie, if someone is ban or kicked, that person will have done something bad previously.
That's the poll question.
And I'm tired of all of these people saying that the moderators are too serious. Listen, we're trying to achieve a community without idiots, spammers, flamers and trolls. Is it EVER fun to deal with those kinds of people? Moderators simply dish out the punishments for your acts. If you spammed -> You die. If you flamed -> You die more. It's quite simple, if you do something wrong, you will have consequences, REGARDLESS if you're on an internet site or in real life.
Maybe not professionals, but they sure can be serious about it can't they? :p
I know this was responded to, but I feel the need to say that the two opposing levels of serious were referring to different act of moderation.
That said, there's no such thing as not serious enough. :p
In any case, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT IN PUBLIC (clearly stated in the rules).
Some polls would do well without threads.
That said, yes there is power abuse. The biggest source of it I've seen is when staff members become somewhat biased against certain members and automatically assume that the member will behave badly.

We should all endeavor to not let the past obscure our judgment.
Give me back my exact thoughts! D:

Exactly, so does that even count as power abuse, if it's simply used as a joke? Power abuse would be banning for moderately long periods of time without any apparent reason.

Homo D: Just kidding tho.

Well, I don't think mods give a crap about this. If anything, it is an honor. :ugly: Dictatorship! E-F is nice... o_O Well, I don't like him the way Hindy does but yeah, he is smart when it comes to knowing stuff about WE and knowing stuff in general. xD

I don't know... What is the point of this thread? It won't have any affect. Oh well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have it here.

(as long as you don't say anything about me)

Or else I'll kick you... Hard... In the nuts (Cartman <3).. Oh damn, white text doesn't work here.

Level 8
I'm just curious.

Mods should never ban for more then a short period of time.

Why?

Because the reason for banning must be questioned.

People should not be banned for being assholes, flamers, trolls, or whatever - they should be banned, when they break a rule, and continue to break those rules despite warning.

And it should only be a temporary ban (ie. a few hours).

And then when they come back, if they break the rules again, you ban them again, for the same amount of time.

Punishment for the sake of punishment never helped anyone. Punishment is meant to teach people.

Level 45
Power abuse? I love power, I want more power :D, but i always fear power that is above me, abit paranoid...
I dont think I abuse my chat powers, I possibly slip for joke. I dont dish out day long bans as I dont even have that power, i can only ban for an hour.
What pisses me off though is a ban people and they are so thick they dont get why even if I warned them 3 times so they report me and laugh at my face saying I will get demoted for it, the silly..people...I get the last laugh.
As for ef, he does nit pick on firelord, hell, even shados approves of it o.0. But I think he bans for the right reasons, just abit too long though o.0.

Level 11
Pyritie, Earth-Fury > You. His use of power is [almost] always justified and correct.

Completely true.

You're only saying that because you like him.

I have logs of him clearly abusing his power.

Likely true.

I'm tired of it since I get banned/kicked all the time for no reasons.

Likely false.

The problem is that he's the only person who finds it funny. So he's basically using his kick/ban powers to entertain himself.

Completely false.

Yea, I'd like to confirm that one. EF is an arse.

Completely stupid.

That said, let's all keep each other accountable. And if you see power abuse continuing, please take screenshots and keep us apprised using the Admin Contact forum.

Or, if you think something I've done is unfair, talk to me about it like an adult with some semblance of intelligence and wisdom. (Warning: Attempting to point out flaws in my actions without maturity will likely result in 'power abuse'. Attempting to point out flaws in my actions without intellect and wisdom will likely result in ridicule.)

Level 12
Completely true.

Likely true.

Likely false.

Completely false.

Completely stupid.

Or, if you think something I've done is unfair, talk to me about it like an adult with some semblance of intelligence and wisdom. (Warning: Attempting to point out flaws in my actions without maturity will likely result in 'power abuse'. Attempting to point out flaws in my actions without intellect and wisdom will likely result in ridicule.)

Lawl

Damn, I thought I'd witness a mod fight :sad:

Erm, I think I have actually been banned before :eek:, and not even realized it ><
(I did not know until now that most bans are only a few hours)

Uhhhh, ok I read a little about the bit about being too serious / not serious enough
Give me one job you would have someone do for you where you'd prefer a lackadaisacal schmuck over a strict, overly serious worker.

It tickles me that something so miniscule as this attracted so much attention, either A) The mods are bored as f*ck, or B) The mods are a little anxious that some of their guilty behaviors will be publicized :con: or C) They are here to defend their honor!!! :nemad:

Level 27
Give me one job you would have someone do for you where you'd prefer a lackadaisacal schmuck over a strict, overly serious worker.
Customer support.
It tickles me that something so miniscule as this attracted so much attention, either A) The mods are bored as f*ck, or B) The mods are a little anxious that some of their guilty behaviors will be publicized :con: or C) They are here to defend their honor!!! :nemad:
D) Firelord213 started the thread, and it resembles a complaint.

Level 22
> I sense a user VS. mod-flamefight coming soon.

How would that be likely to end?
I doubt anything would happen to the mod in question.
Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the user....

I think the issue we're all dancing around is what exactly qualifies as "bad."
Make the punishment fit the crime?
Well, I strongly feel that this tenant is not being upheld far too often. I feel that certain members of the staff here are disrespectful and rude to some members, and that's only a start.

The abuse comes later, usually after the staff member has had an exchange with some member for a while. Then they get tired of that person, and there you go.

I question whether a rule was broken. I question the judgment of members of this staff. I question how these actions reflect on the site.

Personally, I don't really care if the moderators want to take jabs at each other in good fun. They're equal there for the most part.
But don't start taking it out on members. That is where, I believe, the line is crossed.

I have been less active on this site the past few weeks, and this is why. I find many of the staff members to be childish in their actions, and I would rather not spend my time here - that's it. No doubt some will attempt to accuse me of whining and being petty about this issue, but I'm telling it how it is in this situation. I can't speak for others, but this is how it is to me.

Now I will see what happens. If people try to flame me for giving an honest, serious opinion, I will only be further resolved against that group of people.

Try me. I am not at all amused by what goes on here.

Last edited:
Level 14
Completely true.

Likely true.

Likely false.

Completely false.

Completely stupid.

So we're not going to do what you did when you got banned for Power abuse?
Leave The Hive Workshop and whine about it? Well what's you did.

HINDYhat , You say that the bans are jokes?
I never agreed on being banned and kicked constantly.
And when ever I kept saying something you said ''That is a ban able offence.''
And I got kicked all the time , I don't think I told you too ''Kick me all the time when I say something''.

''For Herman''
I used to like spam yes , Why ? Because I never thought of being active in The Hive Workshop , So I spammed.

Well , I'm not the only one agreeing on that ''someone'' is abusing his powers in chat , I just thought it was enough when Earth-Fury called LiOneSS a ''B1tch''.And she kept telling him to stop.Then we somehow ended up in the conversation about me being happy over that he got banned for power abuse and I get banned.

HINDYhat , It is quite easy to say that he dosen't abuse powers , But it would be more fun if you prooved it too , Just because your a friend to him and he dosen't abuse on you , then that means you will be agreeing with the ''No'' side.''The side that never felt power abuse.

I have an example for you , I was banned for mutli-accounting , ''Long time'' and when I got unbanned and entered chat I got instantly banned by Earth-Fury for multi accounting , I've already been punished for what I've done , No need to punish me 3000 times more is it?

Level 6
There might be complicated reasons why they ban a user.

Option One - Completely Stupid.

Option Two - Ultimate Spammage

Option Three - Not following the rules

Option four - Just doing it

Option five - Just for fun

Option six - The moderator hates that user

Option seven - Complicated.

So far, the mods really have a reason for banning a user. :p

Opinion - No they don't abuse.

Level 24
Well , I'm not the only one agreeing on that ''someone'' is abusing his powers in chat , I just thought it was enough when Earth-Fury called LiOneSS a ''B1tch''.And she kept telling him to stop.Then we somehow ended up in the conversation about me being happy over that he got banned for power abuse and I get banned.
when he calls me bitch that is mild. He is sexually harrassing me and when i try to do something i get constantly kicked or 1 hour ban :| i reported him, but nobody reacted because he is mod. No infractions, no power restrictions. i am being ignored :cry:

Level 6
COMMUNITY FRIENDLINESS RULES ----
The Hive is a friendly community: all users are expected to treat one another with dignity and respect.
Regular users are the main strength of The Hive and proudly display this avatar. Each user is an important member of the Warcraft III modding community, deserving of great respect from all users at all times.

Why do people do that if its against the rules?

@LiOneSS

I'm sorry for you... Thought the "banners" just have a complicated reason.. But for saying bad things to a user is unacceptable.

Level 8
when he calls me bitch that is mild. He is sexually harrassing me and when i try to do something i get constantly kicked or 1 hour ban :| i reported him, but nobody reacted because he is mod. No infractions, no power restrictions. i am being ignored :cry:

I sympathize with you, sexual harassment is disgusting.
Name calling = Unworthy and pathetic.

Regular users are the main strength of The Hive and proudly display this avatar. Each user is an important member of the Warcraft III modding community, deserving of great respect from all users at all times.
That's clumsy to have a rule that's not even being respected.

Last edited:
Level 12
Brad.dude03 gave me neg rep for no reason.
He just disliked my sig as far as i can tell.
What he wrote:
[neg rep]Knowledge means power over others. You are blind if you can't see this.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=582765#post582765

iv had some other incidents....
well just one more...
alot worse than this...
Scared to say:bored:
Ok..
almost got banned for multiaccounting.
i didnot mulitaccount..
but they somehow found my ip the same as someone elses.

anyway..
its gone now..
as far as i can see..:slp:

Yes mods do abuse their power :thumbs_down:

Level 34
[Mumbles] Sieg Heil THW [/Mumbles]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on, you too laughed about those Jacek accounts, did you.

Level 35
After he was banned for all of them and received negative rep.

As for mod abuse.

The Speech said:
Are we mods not mortal as yourselves? Are we prone to mistakes?

-Yes

Do we abuse our power?

-No

YES YOU DO!

-Prove it

I CANT!

-Then shut up.

YOU ABUSER!

-insurrectionist malcontent

WE WANT NEW MODS!

-like yourselves?

I WOULD BE A BETTER MOD THAN YOU!

-So you could abuse your power on us?

YOU BANNED ME FOR NOTHING!

-Was it a joke? If so..laugh and grow up. If it wasn't....then you obviously did something wrong. And if you did something wrong as you obviously did, then you are once more doing something wrong, by being undisciplined children who whine when their elders rebuke them.

BUT HE BANNED ME!

-Grow up...are you dead? Are you suffering? Did your arm rot off at the mouse finger when you were banned? Did you suffer a brain hemorrhage after pissing yourself due to the massive emotional down spiral of losing chat time? If so....you need to get out of the HIVE and get laid or something....or maybe find a doctor.

No one likes Earth Fury's jokes!

-I do.

Earth Fury abuses his power!

-Prove it

I CANT YOU FUCKTARD!

-I already knew that much.

He should have his power removed!

-And who will take his place...you? Power-mongering malcontent...

You just like him so you will take his side!

-Mods and friends should stick together, I have had my share of EF "abuses"...and guess what...I laughed, I got over it...I guess I must simply be stronger than you are.

ASS KISSER!

-prove it, but you'll have to stop kissing your own ass to get to it.

Pfft!

-My final words for this matter, (at this moment) Until you provide sufficient proof of SUFFICIENT abuse...keep these sort of threads out of the HIVE, they only serve to split communities, and when that happens, our precious HIVE will be all but gone.

Level 9
Make it so every time a mod / admin bans, they have to input a reason. Make that in to a log and check to see if it was a valid punishment. (And actually have people checking it)

Level 17
Let's digress before this turns into a flamewar

I like mah hair :D

Yeah, I'm used to EF's little bans, he doesn't abuse his powers, honestly. Mine and Elenai's "Spotted Dick" joke seemed to annoy him and I wouldn't stop so I got a ban, fair and square, no?

Oh, and whoever bitches about negative reputation needs to go outside, or at least open your curtains...

Yes, Brad seems to resort to Negative Reputation quite a bit, but still, it's an animated GIF, 50x50 dimensions, in addiction the extra x amount pixels it takes to type (-1) + any more for the reason... Who cares about it? I could sit here and let every mod bomb me with neg rep, I would just laugh about it really... But I wouldn't give them reason to... Or would I?

Status
Not open for further replies.