• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Poll: Modelling Contest #18 Aberrations

Vote for your favorite entry

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1816026-post324.html"]Vermillion Edict[/URL]

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1781421-post190.html"]ike_ike[/URL]

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1811962-post310.html"]Thrikodius[/URL]

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1812030-post311.html"]Dionesiist[/URL]

Votes: 63 37.3%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1811546-post306.html"]Pyramidhe@d[/URL]

Votes: 67 39.6%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1818495-post331.html"]DonDustin[/URL]

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
8.png

poll.png

140223-albums1517-picture38155.jpg

Aberration
Contestants are to create a model of an aberration.

Welcome to the poll for Modelling Contest #18! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
  • Anarchianbedlam
  • Mr.Bob
  • HappyCockroach

contest%20judging.png

• 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).

Mesh
    How well the vertices and faces have been utilised /15

Animation
    The quality of the animation or how well an existing Warcraft animations have been used/10

Skin/Texture
    The quality of the texture or how well an existing Warcraft texture have been used/10

Mechanics
    How well does the model function in-game/5

Effects
    Special effects used on the model, namely particle emitters and event objects/5

Creativity
    How creative is your model?/5
  • 40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Last edited:
Vermilion Edict (flesh eater)
mesh: 4.5
animation: 4.30 (still dunno about the pixie thingie)
Skin/texture: 4.00
mechanics: 4.50 (needs to be hero or "doesn't decay")
effects: 3.50 (neat)
Creativity: 5.00

ike_ike (Bucketface)
mesh: 5.00
animation: 3.89 (it still deforms a bit)
Skin/texture: 4.00
mechanics: 5.00
effects: 0.o

Taylor_Mouse (OctoSnail)
mesh: 4.3
animation: 3.80 (a lill "slug"-ish lol)
Skin/texture: 4.20
mechanics: 4.20
effects: 3.60 (spit is terrible)

Thrikodius (FRED)
mesh: 5.00
animation: 5.00
Skin/texture: 4.00 (cool)
effects: 4.00 (cool eye-shot and death)

Dionesiist (Sharadar Hell Knight)
animation: 4.73
Skin/texture: 5.00
mechanics: 4.50 (needs to be hero or "doesn't decay")(Portrait looses parts when speaking)
effects: 4.70 (woo, sucked to hell)

Pyramidhe@d (watcher)
mesh: 5.00 (Pyralicious)
animation: 5.00
Skin/texture: 4.00 (Pyralicious)
mechanics: 4.50 (works a lill better as a "doesn't decay" unit)
effects: 4.89 (TC flicker)

DonDustin (kangooration)
animation: 3.99 (the attacks should've been a lill different)
Skin/texture: 5.00 (sweet skin usage)
effects: 0.o

well... that is my judging. and my definite choice is Dio's Sharadar hell knight :)

Level 35
Fuuuuuuck, so hard to choose between The Watcher and the Hell Knight. I also like F.R.E.D.

Well, I'm afraid that there can only be one choice in the end, and although I feel like I'm conforming a bit here, I think I have to go with The Watcher purely because of the animations and the smoothness of the texture (didn't factor originality in the final choice because all the choices here are so goddamn original).

Level 31
Mmm, some damn good models here. Coming down to two models for me, so gonna have to think about it more before I vote. Good luck to everyone. :D

EDIT: Well, in the end, I voted for Thrikodius. All the models where good, and don't get me wrong Pyr@midHead's and Dio's models were outstanding, but in my personal oppinion, they didn't quite fit the Aberration theme. There were more a kind of extra planar monster than an aberration.

Guys, if by chance Misha fails to deliver a good judging, I'll gladly take up on his lead, now that my internet is back. :)
That is, if everyone accepts me, and only if Misha still doesn't deliver a good judging, of course.

EDIT: Actually forget about it. I voted for Dio. Too late now. :)

I pass my judging to you Debode

Level 17
After testing all the models I decided to go with Thrikodius's model - it seemed more fitting to the idea of an 'aberration' and blended in very well with Warcraft 3.

Level 4
Vote goes for Pyramidhe@d; The Watcher's texture is absolutely insane. Close second-up was Thrikodius's FRED I'd seen around before.

Level 5
Man Pyramidhe@d's Model Is Really Cool And Dionesiist Too They Are Awesome, but Pyramidhe@d's Model Looks Better In My Opinion.

Here What I Think If I Was Judge

Pyramidhead's Watcher Model Status:

Animations: xxxxxxxxxX
Looks And Textures:xxxxxxxxxx

I believe Pyramidhe@d's Model Should Win. Your Model Rocks :goblin_boom:

Level 26
I love how only one dude mentions my entry. At all.

Seriously.

Not funny guys. Although being totally eclipsed in the polls kind of is.

So you want people to say something about your entry

I'm not here for praise, I'm just insulted that only one dude said a single thing about my entry.

But if you're going to take cracks at me like that, why don't you enter the next contest.

But you dont want them to praise it?

Dont worry vermillion, people dont have to review models here, they just have to vote for them. I'm sure the judge's review will suffice

So you want people to say something about your entry

Well, yeah, everyone else got multiple user reviews.

But you dont want them to praise it?

Dont worry vermillion, people dont have to review models here, they just have to vote for them. I'm sure the judge's review will suffice

I usually join for the fun of joining, but it just got insulting being neglected.

That said, I might still join the next one.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The Watcher gets my vote. It might not fit WCIII, but to be quite honest, most of these models are too good for WCIII anyway, if you catch my drift. The Hell Knight does a solid second place - he's just not ugly enough, Dio. I'll place Bucketface on third - I like parodies/spin-offs.

My top favourite models in this contest are "Eldritch_TheFleshEater", the "HellKnight" and the "Watcher".

Vermillion Edict ("Eldritch_TheFleshEater"):

With the spider legs, his insectoid head and the flying/floating kind of walk animation he looks kind of like a Mothman to me. And I have to say that I really like this concept of a Mothman that can transform into some white, bright, energetic form, that is the complete opposite of the dark Mothman form. What I don't like are the attack animations of the bright version that looks just much too cartoonish for me (a ranged energy missle attack would fit better I think). The animations in general could be a bit cleaner and not that fast (Especially the attack animations of the darker form). The model also fits the aberration theme very well in my opinion (extra eyes and mouth at the belly) and thus is one of my favourite models of the contest.

Dionesiist ("HellKnight"):

Very nicely detailed monster with great animations (Especially the death animation) and a nice texture that fits very well with the contest theme. Also despite of its detailed appearance it is relatively small in filesize.

Pyramidhe@d ("Watcher"):

Unique model with a nice background story, greate texture and fitting animations. But I think I doesn't really fit the theme "Aberration" that much, as it is more a mystical alien thingy than a malformed aberration out of hell.

It was hard to decide but finally my vote goes to the "HellKnight", as he fits most to the contest theme and was worked out very well.:thumbs_up:

Level 18
Sorry, but I'm not going to vote for this poll. There are 3 entries I really like and I just can't decide which 1 is the best. So off-poll, my compliments to Thrikodius (bonus points for the great name hehe), Dionesiist and Pyramidhe@d. Those are really cool models :)

Status
Not open for further replies.