• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Plants vs. Zombies (TD-ish)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
MAP IN PROGRESS [5%]
Status - Next release due in [Never ^^] days.

Okay so I decided to start up a Plants vs. Zombies map, based off of the the famous PvZ by Popcap. It is intended to be very similar to the actual game but with more content and support 4 players. For those of you who don't play it, it's a pretty unique td-like game. So I'd love some input / testers for my progress. Any ideas or suggestions (check wishing well) that are good will probably be added in.

These are my PvZ Screenshots from the first few hours in the making(outdated).

Here's a pic.
ibjm1h.jpg

Currently Features:
Plants:
-Sunflower
-Peashooter
-Repeater
-Snow Pea
-Wall-nut
-Potato Mine
-Chomper

- 4 Zombie Types
- 1 Round (5 Waves)
- 2 Modes (Easy and Hard)
- 3 Player Limit (Might not work)
- Leaderboard & Timer

WISHING WELL :)
Make a friendly suggestion or wish and it might just get added to the map :).

Accepted suggestions & updates for next version:
- Newspaper Zombie + Revamp of all zombies
- Chomper uses Devour
- Protecting the map (Anyone who wants to help or simply see the map just PM me)
- Cam Lock (So you don't accidentally scroll in)
- Countdown Timer
- Multiboard
- Opening Plant Book Hotkey change to Z, Camera book change to X.
- New Plant [Tall-nut]
- New Plant [Cherry Bomb]
- New Plant [Threepeater]
- Upgrades Book (C)
- Bigger plant models
- Frost Bolt missile for Snow Pea
- New Skill [Gift a Neighbor]
- 1 Full Round of 5 waves (Endless survival at end of each round)
- Advantage System (Last round's winner [most kills] receive minor bonus for next round)
- 4 Players Limit

RECRUITING :)
- A super experienced pro trigger coder GUI and/or JASS
(If you're a newbie at triggers but really want to help just PM me we'll work on this together)
- A modeler to make some more plant models
- Sounds (Someone play the real PvZ and sound record sun collecting sun + pea hitting zombie sound)
Then this map will actually have some nice sounds :).

So yeah if someone would like to actually make triggers (starting modes, neaten up things, make it smooth like an official map) for this plants vs zombies map that would be nice, then we could release it to the public when it has more content and multiplayer :).

Gatling Pea[Requesting](Combine = Repeater[The model already have])
Gatling_Pea2.png

Melon Pult[Requesting](Combine = None)
Melon-pult2.png

Winter Melon[Requesting](Combine = Melon Pult[Still Requesting Model)
Winter_Melon2.png

Twin Sunflower[Requesting](Combine = Sunflower[The model already have])
Twin_Sunflower2.png

Jalapeno[Requesting](Combine = None)
Jalapeno2.png

Torchwood[Requesting](Combine = None)
1549639-torchwood2_thumb.png

Pumpkin[Requesting](Combine = None)P/S: This model inside THW already have,but the model doesn't good at all.
pumpkin.png

Cabbage Pult[Requesting](Combine = None)
Cabbage-pult2.png

Kernel Pult[Requesting](Combine = None)
Kernel-pult2.png

Notes: C'mon I'm recruiting here no one want to work on it? Poof byebye PvZ map?!?

Update Pvz v1.0a2: Just a small update, many many things have yet to be added and will be added soon. Sorry, there are still some bugs and issues, you do not have to list them as I have tested it already. Type -test when you're in a pinch.

Attachments

• Plants vs. Zombies v1.0a2.w3x
    3 MB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Level 3
Freaking great! I support your project,keep it up,complete it,and i want play with my friends XD!
EDIT: Maybe you can use war3 optimizer,i afraid people steal your map,you can copy 2 map,1 map use for the war3 optimizer and protect it.
Vexarian's Optimizer
EDIT 2: An angry zombie? Maybe it have a newspaper,add to left hand or right hand? O_O
Newspaper

Thanks for feedback ;), alright I'll protect future versions, wow thanks for newspaper, now I can make it run fast when it drops it :). As of now I can probably make it 4 players, I bet it would lag like mad with 8.

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll continue this map ;).

Level 3
From what I've heard Optimizer is broken has a nice spasm.

The map is fun. But I would like to know when a sunbeam comes.

Thanks, but I'm confused by what a "sunbeam" is. Are those the falling suns? At the moment they come every 15-20 seconds while sunflowers make them on their 6-7th second and every 25 seconds after that. I'm not sure what the real PvZ sunbeam rates are though.

Level 1
Hey Tim-- I always love your work and I'm glad you're letting me be part of this project. :)
I just tried out this current version, and I just have a couple of suggestions:

-Make hotkeys for planting / planting a sunflower different. Since the user is forced to press 'Q', if you rapidly click two Suns right after one another, it'll prompt you to plant a sunflower, so I've mistakenly planted a few sunflowers in odd spots by doing that.

-Lock camera view-- scrolling down changes the camera height and scrolling side to side is also a bit distracting.

-At the very very beginning include a timer for zombies (Zombies arrive in 60 seconds, or something). I know you have one for 25 seconds but I was a little bit lost when I started.

So those were just some gameplay suggestions; I have some aesthetic ones as well :D

-Make plant models bigger-- in the Popcap game, the plants are huuugeeee

-I find the moments in between levels a bit dull, maybe have sound effects or drum rolls or dings before levels start

-Make the missile for the Snow Pea the Frost Bolt missile. If I remember correctly, it resembles the Popcap one more closely. Plus, I think it's prettier :D

---------

Bleh, I know all of this sounds picky, but it really does amaze me that you did all of this in 2 days (not even, you weren't even working on it most of the time. The true time spent on this project so far is what, 5 hours? You're amazing)

It didn't lag for me when I played it, by the way.

Level 3
Hey Tim-- I always love your work and I'm glad you're letting me be part of this project. :)
I just tried out this current version, and I just have a couple of suggestions:
:) Glad to have you on the team.

-Make hotkeys for planting / planting a sunflower different. Since the user is forced to press 'Q', if you rapidly click two Suns right after one another, it'll prompt you to plant a sunflower, so I've mistakenly planted a few sunflowers in odd spots by doing that.
Okay Opening Plant Book will be Z (camera X, lock cam C)

-Lock camera view-- scrolling down changes the camera height and scrolling side to side is also a bit distracting.
Alright.

-At the very very beginning include a timer for zombies (Zombies arrive in 60 seconds, or something). I know you have one for 25 seconds but I was a little bit lost when I started.
Okay :)

So those were just some gameplay suggestions; I have some aesthetic ones as well :D

-Make plant models bigger-- in the Popcap game, the plants are huuugeeee
Okay I will do that.

-I find the moments in between levels a bit dull, maybe have sound effects or drum rolls or dings before levels start
Rejected.

-Make the missile for the Snow Pea the Frost Bolt missile. If I remember correctly, it resembles the Popcap one more closely. Plus, I think it's prettier :D
Rejected.

---------

Bleh, I know all of this sounds picky, but it really does amaze me that you did all of this in 2 days (not even, you weren't even working on it most of the time. The true time spent on this project so far is what, 5 hours? You're amazing)
Thanks, yeah I really rushed on every part of it. I'm still going back to remove leaks and stuff.

It didn't lag for me when I played it, by the way.
Yay :p, yeah before uploading it I added remove leaks for the major triggers and stuff. Also lowered periodic checks by a whole lot xD

Last edited:
Level 1
A couple more things--

-It says that the Sunflower's damage is "normal"-- it doesn't do damage, right? :O

-Wouldn't it be cool if the Chomper devoured the zombie so that instead of it dying, it disappears or gets eaten? yumyum.

-Remember how I told you that I'd try and make some models? I made a Peashooter model and it is SO UGLY in game but I have to show it to you anywayyy Where are youu

Level 3
A couple more things--

-It says that the Sunflower's damage is "normal"-- it doesn't do damage, right? :O

-Wouldn't it be cool if the Chomper devoured the zombie so that instead of it dying, it disappears or gets eaten? yumyum.

-Remember how I told you that I'd try and make some models? I made a Peashooter model and it is SO UGLY in game but I have to show it to you anywayyy Where are youu

Oh thanks yeah tooltip was copy pasted from Peashooter and I forgot to remove the damage. Sure I'll make the zombie get eaten up.

Level 3
Why the game if up to 4 player will lag like s*** ? O_O

Because I have dozens of periodic checkers checking for Zombies in range of Peas to deal damage and those Peas are units and when you got hundreds of peas and zombies it may get laggy. But 4 player should be fine after I change the way I'm doing the range check.

Level 13
The unit group will cause bug sometimes,also remove the leaks.
  • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup=true
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in TempGroup and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Set TempUnit = (Picked unit)
      • Set TempGroup2 = (Units owned by Player 1 (Red) matching (((Matching unit) is An Ancient) Equal to True))
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup=true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in TempGroup2 and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Distance between (Position of TempUnit) and (Position of (Picked unit))) Less than or equal to 120.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Order TempUnit to Attack (Picked unit)
            • Else - Actions
          • Custom script: call DestroyGroup( udg_TempGroup2 )
EDIT: You can add Devour ability to Chomper,if you make attack damage to the chomper,it won't good.Set the chomper will auto devour when the unit near.

Last edited:
Level 19
Cool. I've always loved that game (Well, at the beginning, anyway), but also I'd love to see a Warcraft III mod of it (I always assumed Warcraft III TDs would beat it), nice job:)

Level 13
First
-----Newspaper Zombie------
I gave a model to you already.(Solved)
-----Protecting Map-----
Also,i give you the vexarian's optimizer.(Solved)
-----Cam Lock-----
Every 0.XX second lock the camera enough.(Solved?)
-----Beginning Timer----
What this?(Unsolved)
-----Plant Hotkeys-----
Q W E R
A S D F
Z X C V
-----PvP-----
Maybe you can the triggering player into XX player and available to control any zombies.(Solved?)
-----Bigger Plants Models------
Sorry,i can't help you because i not modeler =.=(Unsolved)
-----Frost bolt missle for Snow Pea------
the snow pea has the missle isn't?(Solved or Unsolved)

Gatling_Pea2.png

Melon-pult2.png

Winter_Melon2.png

Twin_Sunflower2.png

Jalapeno2.png

Pumpkin[Requesting](Combine = None)P/S: This model inside THW already have,but the model doesn't good at all.
pumpkin.png

Cabbage-pult2.png

Kernel-pult2.png

I can help only these.

Level 3
First
-----Newspaper Zombie------
I gave a model to you already.(Solved)

Yup thanks so much :)
-----Protecting Map-----
Also,i give you the vexarian's optimizer.(Solved)

Yup thanks so much :)
-----Cam Lock-----
Every 0.XX second lock the camera enough.(Solved?)

Yeah I'll do that
-----Beginning Timer----
What this?(Unsolved)

It's just a timer to tell the players how much time they have until first wave of zombies, solved ;).
-----Plant Hotkeys-----
Q W E R
A S D F
Z X C V

Okay thanks.
-----PvP-----
Maybe you can the triggering player into XX player and available to control any zombies.(Solved?)

This will be added later, pool levels come first :), yes the plan is half of the players summon zombies + some other stuff, when you have an even number of players like 2 or 4, or 6, or maybe even 8 (since half the players are zombies = only 4 backyards, it shouldn't lag a lot)

-----Bigger Plants Models------
Sorry,i can't help you because i not modeler =.=(Unsolved)

Don't worry this can be done through the object editor in a few seconds.

-----Frost bolt missle for Snow Pea------
the snow pea has the missle isn't?(Solved or Unsolved)

Yes snow pea does have missle but there was a request to use frost bolt which looks similar but very pretty and shiny.

Gatling_Pea2.png

Melon-pult2.png

Winter_Melon2.png

Twin_Sunflower2.png

Jalapeno2.png

pumpkin.png

Cabbage-pult2.png

Kernel-pult2.png

I can help only these.

wow thanks for all of those :) +rep

I'll be away for today so I'll continue on this project tomorrow. The next release was scheduled to be tomorrow but it will probably be pushed back 1 more day.

Last edited:
Level 8
Because I have dozens of periodic checkers checking for Zombies in range of Peas to deal damage and those Peas are units and when you got hundreds of peas and zombies it may get laggy. But 4 player should be fine after I change the way I'm doing the range check.

Perhaps if you change the periodic check to 'if Pea come within XXX of Zombie'? im decent at triggers, not super awesome experienced jass tho haha

This map seems interesting and fun. If you need help let me know.

Level 3
Perhaps if you change the periodic check to 'if Pea come within XXX of Zombie'? im decent at triggers, not super awesome experienced jass tho haha

This map seems interesting and fun. If you need help let me know.

Thanks for suggestion. Can't do that unless I preset the peas on the map or a projectile system works too. Looks like best option is finding a projectile system.

Right now I'm thinking to make peas projectiles / missiles from normal attacks.

But then the issue would be the zombie getting attacked dies the peas will not keep going, same thing if a faster zombie from behind goes in front of a slower zombie. That way it could definitely support 8 players but I don't know if it will bother the players.

EDIT: But first I'll try to use a projectile system to do this collision check, it would definitely run smoother and would be best for the game.

Level 14
Timcampy, this map is cool! But you have to make the projectiles from the plants to get out of their mouths, not from their roots, also in PvZ you get no sun when it's night! lol, also the potato mine needs time to charge, it can't just bang! The chomper needs time to chew the zombie - he needs time before eating zombie again!

But the rest is awesome! :)

Level 8
yeah, if you could pull the projectile system off, the game would un smoother multiplayer.

Few tips:
-only reveal the grassy/house area's of the levels, dont show the 'road' that the zombies spawn in.
-add a sound effect when the pea hits the zombie and when you click on a star... Right now its so quiet and unsatisfying :/
-background music would be nice. Let me know and i can probably find you plants vs zombies gameplay music, then compress it into a smallish file size?
-You definitively need to add a way to sell/remove/move your towers you placed before.
-if you could find a lawnmower model, maybe you could add that behind each lane to kill all the zombies in the lane it was in (basically 1 life per lane).

All the best

Level 17
Now2, this idea has been putted in my hd for 3 years, and now you're making a mod?
one thing i would say....
Awsome!
I like this game, pm me, and i'll help you with the trigger
There is many projectile system in thw, pick one
:D
I support this project!

Level 1
Hmmm.
So you and I tested two-player (Red and Blue) and some of the stars wouldn't disappear on click.
Also it wouldn't let me plant sometimes even though I had enough sun. It would make the SFX but a plant wouldn't appear.

Level 13
First,this map cause lag because some leaks still haven't fixed,also,
I suggest:
1.)Limit 4 player(If you fixed the bugs,you may set up to 4 player)
2.)2 Day already,the next map will be released at?
3.)The Pea that shooted can be moved by every X sec,set the point and remove the point will remove the leaks,also,add the flying height to pea,so it won't shoot from root -.-
The suggestion will added every day.

Level 12
P v Z was mine first map project at hive
i just gave up for lack of models
but good luck on your project.
feel free to ask something :)

Level 3
yeah, if you could pull the projectile system off, the game would un smoother multiplayer.

Few tips:
-only reveal the grassy/house area's of the levels, dont show the 'road' that the zombies spawn in.
I don't want to change everything now I will add camera lock though.

-add a sound effect when the pea hits the zombie and when you click on a star... Right now its so quiet and unsatisfying :/
Alright thanks.

-background music would be nice. Let me know and i can probably find you plants vs zombies gameplay music, then compress it into a smallish file size?
-You definitively need to add a way to sell/remove/move your towers you placed before.
It does have one that I compressed but if you could provide a better one that would be nice.

-if you could find a lawnmower model, maybe you could add that behind each lane to kill all the zombies in the lane it was in (basically 1 life per lane).
Yeah I'll be adding that, I guess I'll use some other model for now.

All the best

Level 3
First,this map cause lag because some leaks still haven't fixed,also,
I suggest:
1.)Limit 4 player(If you fixed the bugs,you may set up to 4 player)
Alright, I'll do that, thanks.

2.)2 Day already,the next map will be released at?
Not so sure, I've been away and busy. Also did a test with a friend and it seems there are issues with building and clicking suns in multiplayer so I guess next release will be tomorrow from the time of this post but it won't include all the fixes/updates.

3.)The Pea that shooted can be moved by every X sec,set the point and remove the point will remove the leaks,also,add the flying height to pea,so it won't shoot from root -.-
Yup it shoots from mouth now.

The suggestion will added every day.

Okay thanks :)

Level 3
Timcampy, this map is cool! But you have to make the projectiles from the plants to get out of their mouths, not from their roots, also in PvZ you get no sun when it's night! lol, also the potato mine needs time to charge, it can't just bang! The chomper needs time to chew the zombie - he needs time before eating zombie again!

But the rest is awesome! :)

Thanks for your input, glad you liked it :). The peas now shoot out of mouth. The potato mines now come out of the ground after a while, and chomper uses devour skill. I'll just set it to be permanent day time for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.