• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Picture/Photo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
304188_2435350809118_1412133777_2917905_2024782112_n.jpg

<3 you look like someone from Hizbollah XD

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

So I heard we're doing collection show-off. Well, I'll contribute with some of my CD and DVD collection:
All the DVDs, Blu-rays, PC- and PS3 games in my collection, plus a glimpse at parts of my CD collection (more detailed shots of that below).. oh, and a few books and magazines as well.
CDDVDBLURAYBOOKPCPS3ETC.png

* I could make a list of everything there, but, frankly, I don't think anyone actually cares.

Closer view of the CD shelf:
partialcdcollection.png

The ones on the top row are non-metal. Call me out on it and diss my taste all you like. Yes, there's actually three Christina Aguilera CDs there. Yes, I know. No, I don't listen to them a lot.
More noteworthy, though, are Pink Floyd's The Wall (nope, no Dark Side of the Moon, and frankly, I don't think it's their best album, so STFU), Jimi Hendrix' Electric Ladyland, Nirvana's Nevermind, Stever's Playground Isolator and Nils Petter Molvær's Hamada. Non-metal additions I am proud to own.

Lastly, a few highlights from the metal row:
highlights_part_01.png

Lamb of God, Machine Head and Metallica (regrettably, I do not own Ride the Lightning nor Master of Puppets.. and I would actually not mind having St. Anger either) - nice how my three favourite heavy metal/thrash metal bands end up together even though the CDs are sorted alphabetically. Disregard Leaves' Eyes, I kind of regret buying that one. It's a Norwegian-German symphonic metal band, they got the basic down, but the recording is horrible, etc. For those recognizing the CD on the top, yes, it's Nightwish's Wishmaster.
highlights_part_02.png

Black Label Society, Chimaira, Dimmu Borgir and Disturbed. Great bands in my opinion. Not such a fan of Children of Bodom. Had a thing for them back in high school (like, 8 years ago), and bought one CD. Never bothered with them again. As for Deathstars (Night Electric Night); I like gothic metal, and I love the Marilyn Manson inspired vocalist, but they're generally not my thing.
highlights_part_03.png

Arch Enemy, The Agonist, All That Remains, Atreyu.. well, Arch Enemy is one of my very favourites. The Agonist is there because I really love the combination of vocals (and you can't deny Alissa White-gluz is one of the hottest chicks in metal) - music ain't too bad. All That Remains have been around in my collection forever, with one CD, I changed that this winter by purchasing the latest album. Not overly impressed with it, but they did an awesome concert back in 2008 so I've still got hopes for them. Atreyu, well, when I get my emo out, this is what maintains it. Oh, and I bought the Amaranthe CD just before summer, very modern and soulless metal, but it's got a sound comparable to a heavier Nightwish combined with Lacuna Coil, I guess. Finally, lest I forget, that's Mötorhead and Marilyn Manson up in the left corner. Lemmy is legend and Marilyn Manson is just unavoidable.

Yeah, people still buy CDs.

Level 12
Partial CD collection :D (Yeah.. just forget about the dalmatian background lol)

334lp9z.jpg

8vq6pl.jpg

you're so winner, you know that?

So I heard we're doing collection show-off. Well, I'll contribute with some of my CD and DVD collection:
All the DVDs, Blu-rays, PC- and PS3 games in my collection, plus a glimpse at parts of my CD collection (more detailed shots of that below).. oh, and a few books and magazines as well.

* I could make a list of everything there, but, frankly, I don't think anyone actually cares.

partialcdcollection.png

The ones on the top row are non-metal. Call me out on it and diss my taste all you like. Yes, there's actually three Christina Aguilera CDs there. Yes, I know. No, I don't listen to them a lot.
More noteworthy, though, are Pink Floyd's The Wall (nope, no Dark Side of the Moon, and frankly, I don't think it's their best album, so STFU), Jimi Hendrix' Electric Ladyland, Nirvana's Nevermind, Stever's Playground Isolator and Nils Petter Molvær's Hamada. Non-metal additions I am proud to own.

highlights_part_01.png

Lamb of God, Machine Head and Metallica (regrettably, I do not own Ride the Lightning nor Master of Puppets.. and I would actually not mind having St. Anger either) - nice how my three favourite heavy metal/thrash metal bands end up together even though the CDs are sorted alphabetically. Disregard Leaves' Eyes, I kind of regret buying that one. It's a Norwegian-German symphonic metal band, they got the basic down, but the recording is horrible, etc. For those recognizing the CD on the top, yes, it's Nightwish's Wishmaster.
highlights_part_02.png

Black Label Society, Chimaira, Dimmu Borgir and Disturbed. Great bands in my opinion. Not such a fan of Children of Bodom. Had a thing for them back in high school (like, 8 years ago), and bought one CD. Never bothered with them again. As for Deathstars (Night Electric Night); I like gothic metal, and I love the Marilyn Manson inspired vocalist, but they're generally not my thing.
highlights_part_03.png

Arch Enemy, The Agonist, All That Remains, Atreyu.. well, Arch Enemy is one of my very favourites. The Agonist is there because I really love the combination of vocals (and you can't deny Alissa White-gluz is one of the hottest chicks in metal) - music ain't too bad. All That Remains have been around in my collection forever, with one CD, I changed that this winter by purchasing the latest album. Not overly impressed with it, but they did an awesome concert back in 2008 so I've still got hopes for them. Atreyu, well, when I get my emo out, this is what maintains it. Oh, and I bought the Amaranthe CD just before summer, very modern and soulless metal, but it's got a sound comparable to a heavier Nightwish combined with Lacuna Coil, I guess. Finally, lest I forget, that's Mötorhead and Marilyn Manson up in the left corner. Lemmy is legend and Marilyn Manson is just unavoidable.

reps for machine head, lamb of god, disturbed, black label society..

negative for metallica and all that remains...

Level 16

partialcdcollection.png

highlights_part_01.png

highlights_part_02.png

highlights_part_03.png

Well, Trax said like 'People buy CD's?' as in he either never bought any, or never had to because he always lived in the digital era, or just don't like music, I don't know, but the foolishness goes beyond 'People STILL buy CDs?' :p

Props on Jimi Hendrix and Sacrament, I'd brofist for CoB but meh, I don't understand how you can prefer Chimaira and stuff to it :p And I agree that DSotM isn't the best Pink Floyd, that title goes to Syd Barrett's album, The Piper at the Gate of Dawn.

[EDIT]Oh sh-! I could always get my PS2 collection for some huge picture

@Luffy :D

Level 12
ahahaha, what wait, he had written "people buy CD's?" ?! Troll on him!

ahh damn, if only I haven't removed my computer from the desk in my room. I will not be able to take pictures and upload for now.. Show-offs!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

My point is, why buy CDs when they are completely obsolete now-a-days.

How are they obsolete? Explain.

Just because you can buy MP3 downloads online and listen to music on your MP3 player and/or computer, that doesn't mean CDs are good for nothing. And even if MP3 could offer the same quality, and you could move files around to your CD Player without having to burn your own CDs (most likely with loss of quality), there's still the lack of a physical copy. I love having actual objects I can touch, display and collect. That's also the reason I don't buy games on Steam or similar software.

On another note, I realize that most people think exactly the same as you do, Trax, and buy their music online (or steal it).. my problem with this modern attitude is that record outlets (you know, actual stores where they sell CDs, DVDs and the likes) go bankrupt, thereby preventing people like me from going to a record outlet to browse CDs and buy a few. No, browsing CDs online is a whole different thing. Most importantly, you usually have to search by artist or album name, eliminating the part where you stumble upon a nice looking cover and decide you want to check it out (as in listen to it in the store) and perhaps end up buying some music from an artist you haven't heard of before. Another disadvantage is that ordering CDs online means shipping fees and it takes time. Lastly, you cannot listen to the actual CD, and thus, you don't really know what you get until it arrives in your mail, and it's such a hassle to send stuff back if you're not satisfied, not to mention you still have to pay the shipping fee.

/rant

KEEP RECORD OUTLETS ALIVE! BUY RETAIL CDS. <3

Level 16
Basically what you guys said + there's still the part about giving a damn about artists' rights. Physical copies are nice, + you've got nice booklets. Not only are physical copies nice, you can also collect them, just as you would collect fucking wooden buddhas or other retarded shit you put on your shelves. Even if this is rarer, there's always the part where you go to a concert, decide to buy merch there (in this case, CDs) and get it signed by the band (yes, this can hold some emotional value). Anyway, as much as you have 'Youtube related videos', shiiK is right about record stores that used to be helpful to find new music, not only because you could browse, but because with CD stores you have actual music fans in it, and there's no better way to find new bands than talking to someone with a similar music taste.

Anyway, as one of you said already, I hate how that modern attitude has made most record stores go bankrupt, as these places were pretty cool and useful to find anything related to music, weither it'd be CDs, shirts, posters, even fucking zippos and stuff. If you were into music before the last 10 years, you know how record stores were fun places to hang out.

Level 19
I'm not going to read your guys' post because they are longer than I care for and I hardly care for this topic at all but I will give you my reasoning.

Here's why I think CDs are obsolete

-They take up physical space

-If they are damaged they are ruined forever

-You have to buy an entire album whether you like all the songs on the disk or not

-It requires a CD player or computer

-If you lose the disk you are shit-outta-luck

-Digital purchases are permanent and even if they are lost from something like a hard drive wipe, they can be reclaimed with no problems

-Digital purchases allow you to choose which songs you want and not pay for a whole disk that you might have only wanted one song for

-Digital still gives you the option to purchase a whole album

-If you really want a CD digital music files can be burned onto one

-Digital purchases allow the easy implementation into videos and slide shows

Level 49
Trax, I usually respect you, but honestly - Now you're just being ignorant.
At least TRY reading thier posts, if you start an arguement? :/
I mean I don't give a shit about this topic(I very rarely listen to music, and if I do, it's like 10 songs looping in a Youtube playlist) but I still ready every single post, for the sake of not being so ignorant(if I'm subscribed to a thread, why the hell would I not read what the people say?).

Level 22

Are you trying to tell me that when you buy a DIGITAL copy you don't need a computer? Or am I just reading this wrong (although there's not much to misread).

If I am indeed wrong, and you don't need a computer to buy and listen to digital copies, then I must say I'm truly in awe. Obviously you must have magic powers beyond the comprehension of a simple being like me.

Level 51
I'm not going to read your guys' post because they are longer than I care for and I hardly care for this topic at all but I will give you my reasoning.

-You have to buy an entire album whether you like all the songs on the disk or not

-Digital purchases are permanent and even if they are lost from something like a hard drive wipe, they can be reclaimed with no problems

-Digital purchases allow you to choose which songs you want and not pay for a whole disk that you might have only wanted one song for

It's time for me to join the discussion ^^

Anyway, nearly all of your arguments are true, there is however one thing: the love to the CD's itself. In ten years, you can say: "I have all the Albums of this and this song at my home and 100 other legendary CD's".
I doubt that the people will be more impressed if you show them your itunes list.

Level 22

That's not a con for me. More like a pro, actually. It looks good. :p

Same goes for damaged or corrupted digital files. And it rarely ever (if ever) happens, if you just take care of your things.

Yeah, this is the one thing I don't like about CD's. There are of course ''best of'' CD's, but still.

You need a computer for digital music as well.

Same as point 2.

True.
With CD's, I don't have to worry about hard drive wipes though.

You already said that.

I don't see how this is a pro over CD's?

True. Often of lesser quality though. And you'll still miss the box.

You could always copy songs from your CD's to your PC.

Not enough pros (only 1 for me, actually) to switch to digital.
If you got something else to say, you should probably PM me. This is going a bit off-topic. :I

Level 34
Here's a picture I recently took; British Columbia owns so hard. Sorry Mr. Goblin, but Quebec is just too humid for me.

Attachments

• 320018_10150406971696201_548611200_10493090_71481380_n.jpg
    320018_10150406971696201_548611200_10493090_71481380_n.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 71
Here's a picture I recently took; British Columbia owns so hard. Sorry Mr. Goblin, but Quebec is just too humid for me.

burn and die.. XD

actually it was a foggy day the time we went... beside since we are in the falls, rainny days becomes quite often since the winter is coming and the rain will slowly become snow as we approach Winter.

anyway epic picture you took there :D

Status
Not open for further replies.