• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3 - Poll

Which of the entries do you vote for? - (choose 2 entries at max.)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
slash-png.267815
texturing.png

paired.png
contest.png
number.png
3.png

poll.png

upload_2017-5-15_16-39-8-png.267877

art by vidagr at deviantart

Leaders

Contestants should create a model that represents a leader to a certain faction, race, or nation. It may be a king, a queen, a chieftain, a leader of any sort, as long as it occupies the highest ranks of power in a certain group.
contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll - in at most 2 entries.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and be infracted.
  • It is forbidden for participants to update their entry bundle's content while the poll and/or judging are in course.
prizes.png

• First Place: 60 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Participation: 5 reputation points

entries.png

All entries are imported to a test map. It is desirable that you base your vote on testing the models in-game.

The entries are also listed individually below.

Team NameTeam MembersEntry

We Don't Need No Public Vote
PROXY
~Nightmare
Sargeras

The KOOL Gang!
Stefan.K
Heinvers
Vol'jin

To Infinity and Beyond!
Freddyk
A.R.
Space Pirate

Team AngryPanther
Hayate
Chen
Lord Kur'talos Ravencrest

Team N° 5.0 FM
FerSZ
Murlocologist
Mo'arg Overlord

In Treetops We Dwell
HappyCockroach
4eNNightmare
Herald of the Deep Mother

judges.png

• Mr. Goblin (Texturing and Design Judge)
  • PeeKay (Texturing and Design Judge)
  • Callahan (Modeling and Design Judge)
  • Fingolfin (Modeling and Design Judge)

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

The judging score of each entry should be composed of three criteria with different weights: 20% by the Design, 40% for the Modeling, and 40% for the Texturing. Which are described as following:

DESIGN - 20 points
CreativityIs the concept unexpected and original, or is it predictable? Is the idea interesting or is it just random? Is it thoughtful and profound, or is it shallow? (a few notes: Simple ideas doesn't always mean ordinary ideas. Complex doesn't always mean thoughtful as well. Everything has a reference - only because you've seen something before, doesn't mean it can't be originally thought)/10

Consistency
Does the entry fit the theme? Does it have a context? Does the concept have coherence? Does it have a solid sense of character? (notes: the concept's consistency should be judged in the parameters of what it is apparently meant for. If a model is meant to Sci-Fi, shouldn't be judged how well it fits WC3 lore.)/10
MODELING - 40 points
MeshHow the mesh looks aesthetically? How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution? Does the wrap provoke big distortions of the texture?/15

Animations
How natural, smooth and appropriate are the animations? If they're custom, how well are they executed? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? If they are imported, how appropriate was the animation choice? How hard is it to relate it to the original in that case?/15

Effects
How adequate are the particle/ribbon/etc effects added? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressing? But are they added in a good measure? Did the model need more?/5

Mechanics
How well does the model work in-game? Are the animations recognizable? Does it decay/dissipate properly? Does it feature all necessary attachments? Does it leave footprints? Does it play a sound at least upon death? Is it fully selectable?/5
TEXTURING - 40 points
Texture DesignAre the elements drawn appealing? Are they understandable? Are they interesting and do they enrich the model with detail? Is the composition balanced, or is it too empty / too crowded?/10

Definition
Is the texture precise and well-defined? Isn't it blurry, or distorted? Does it look good enough from the in-game perspective?/10

Shading
Does the texture look consistent with in-game light settings? Does it have appealing and appropriate shading and highlights?/10

Color
Is the color scheme rich and interesting? Do the tones compliment each other, or they create conflict? Is Teamcolor well put? Does it blend well in-game?/10

• 70% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30% of the winner shall be determined by the results of this public poll. Voters will be able to vote in at most 2 entries, which is 1/3 of the total entries rounded to the closest number.
The poll will conclude on the 26th of July, 2017.
The contest thread can be found here.

Attachments

• PairedModelingTexturingContest#3.w3x
    2.9 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Level 51
Hope our team name doesnt backfire haha :D

Voted for space pirate and Herald of the Deep Mother for being he most creative and most fitting to wc3. Liked the other ones too, especially the Moarg, but I just don't realy like Murlocologist's texturing style (it is awesome dont get me wrong) but it always feels a little bit of to me. Just personal taste.

Generally speaking, I think this is one of the contests that has produced the most top notch models/textures since a long time and I'm very proud to have been a part of it. Awesome job guys!

Level 50
This was one hell of a contest (in a good way, ofc) and I'm really glad I participated. I voted for Mo'arg Overlord mostly because the fact guys made everything perfect. The mesh, animations, everything is made nicely to fit with other in game models.
I also voted for Happy's Herald of the Deep Mother because, just like Proxy said, of it's creativity.

I think we've done nice job considering the contest this year. Good luck to all.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
It's hard to choose... I'm torn between Herald, Mo'arg and Space Pirate.
Herald of the Deep Mother is a great model with good animations however the texture is raw. There is need of highlights and shading. Mo'arg Overlord on the other hand is pretty HQ the texture seems too detailed and looks out of place when placed together with ladder models. Space Pirate lastly has that warcraft texture feeling over it. That's just a rushed comment (texturing side).

But overall, I'm voting for Mo'arg and Space Pirate. Loved those 2.

Level 3
Herald of the Deep Mother is by far the most original and most creative of the bunch. The texture could use some improvement, I guess, like others have pointed out, but I personally love that it's kinda crude and raw. For me that only adds to its charm.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Dang can't forget about this. Thank goodness we can at least vote for 2!

~~~

Sargeras, model-wise & texture-wise, was quite excellent. It all looked so cool! The animations, though, were frustrating... Ah dannae, I totally understand the dearth of good animations & how the Ogre's gives a sense of 'weight' which was important, but... It just looked kinda silly. The Ogres amble around, and bludgeon stuff, and Sargeras is THE BIG BAD of the universe... This guy really could use some custom animations. Loved the Channel anim. Might have needed more TeamColor.

Vol'jin was... Eh. I like Trolls a lot (you might say), but while the mesh was cool & interesting, the texture left something to be desired. Not just the shading (seemed a tiny bit off? for Warcraft...), but the face. Man the face. That Portrait was just... Not good. I'm sorry. Shadow Hunter animations were a good fit, though (except for Stand Victory, where his backpack gouges into his head). Needed more TeamColor (nothing but his weapon & hero glow IIRC)

Space Pirate was pretty good. Very thin & slight, kinda hard to see (especially next to Mr. Mo'arg over there, lol), but ultimately really, really well done. Excellent texture, excellent model. Some animations were a tiny bit janky-ish. But at least it had some good Team Color & good attack animations.

Lord Kur'talos Ravencrest was... alright. The colors were good, and one thing you did that I'd love to see more of was that great Portrait face; we always see Warcraft heroes with big, strong, ANGRY faces... This guy had a real sense of pathos, of weight, of emotional suffering that spoke to me. Very Medivh-y. Buuuut... Those animations. Urgh. Even Stand was kinda awkward, and Walk was like a strange duck-waddling motion. The others were more or less fine, but it was just... Eh. Good Team Color, though (however, the hero glow 'planes' on the weapon were oriented in such a way as to be pretty obvious in his Stand anims; something to fix (billboarding?))

Mo'arg Overlord was singularly spectacular. In terms of aesthetics, I'm pretty sure you hands-down nailed it (tied very closely with the Space Pirate). I don't even know what a Mo'arg is, but you have created a ridiculously menacing figure. That weapon is SO outlandish. Those lava spikes, ugh. Great animations, just waaaaay too crazy of a texture, and a solid mesh. I only noticed one minor issue; facing forward & casting Channel (IIRC), you can see through his knees. Decent Team Color.

Herald of the Deep Mother was really really great. The texture was OK (seemed mostly Warcraft-style), the model was relatively simple straightforward (could've had more going on; more clothes, more nurnies, etc), but you've finally cracked it; an actual PALANQUIN model!! Solid, straightforward animations, mesh & textures made for an all-around good model. Very reminiscent (in good ways) of the WH Slaanesh Lords. Could've used more Team Color, definitely (though the TC 'angler lure' was a great idea).

~~~

In terms of overall 'best-ness', especially when it comes to aesthetics, I'd say my vote was between the Overlord & the Space Pirate. However, I'm not a Judge, and my own personal metrics are much more dependent on "how well does this fit in-game/how useful is this to me"! So, my votes went towards Herald of the Deep Mother & Sargeras; the latter because it's an actual Warcraft character (the big bad, even) & is a solid model, and the latter because PALANQUIN!! (and it's a solid model).

Good job to all the Contestants! The quality level of this Contest was insane. Looking forward to the next one (hopefully a little less EPIC, lol).

Level 50
Wow, there is a serious fight between team "Team N° 5.0 FM" and "In Treetops We Dwell".

Anyway, I know we still didn't finished this contest yet and don't know the winner yet, but may I suggest an idea that comes to my mind for a next contest?

The idea is to make a model out of one in game texture. But the modders could, ofc, use Replaceable ID 1 and 2, for the team color and team glow.
Or make a model using only in game icons as textures. I've done this earlier (So is @Direfury and he really nailed some models with this method) and I think it's not hard to make a model out of only icons.

I'm suggesting this ideas because none mentioned similar idea earlier for the contests (As far as I know).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wow, there is a serious fight between team "Team N° 5.0 FM" and "In Treetops We Dwell".

Anyway, I know we still didn't finished this contest yet and don't know the winner yet, but may I suggest an idea that comes to my mind for a next contest?

The idea is to make a model out of one in game texture. But the modders could, ofc, use Replaceable ID 1 and 2, for the team color and team glow.
Or make a model using only in game icons as textures. I've done this earlier (So is @Direfury and he really nailed some models with this method) and I think it's not hard to make a model out of only icons.

I'm suggesting this ideas because none mentioned similar idea earlier for the contests (As far as I know).
I like both of those, but especially the "1 in-game texture" one. Really force a lot of creativity. If I was chosen I would suggest a subjective Criteria be added, called "Divergence"; basically how different the custom model is from the existing model from which the chosen texture is taken.

E.g. it's easy to take the AncientofWar.blp & turn it into some other leafy green/stony Ancient. But turning the Dreadlord into a Fairy Princess? For the Gryphon Rider into a Badger? Now that's creative. :D

(Might want to consider allowing a max of 2 textures, so people aren't stuck with the same face if they make a unit.)

Level 50
I like both of those, but especially the "1 in-game texture" one. Really force a lot of creativity. If I was chosen I would suggest a subjective Criteria be added, called "Divergence"; basically how different the custom model is from the existing model from which the chosen texture is taken.

E.g. it's easy to take the AncientofWar.blp & turn it into some other leafy green/stony Ancient. But turning the Dreadlord into a Fairy Princess? For the Gryphon Rider into a Badger? Now that's creative. :D

(Might want to consider allowing a max of 2 textures, so people aren't stuck with the same face if they make a unit.)
I very much agree with you on this. It would be even better if we have a specific theme first, like Warlord theme but only using one texture by our choice.

Guys, we've been waiting for our judges now. Sorry for the delay. (In case anyone wants to be a judge to the Modeling fields, we might be in lack of those)

And while we're at it, there's the Next Modeling Contest! discussion going on :)

I added that idea to the thread! I assume smoke and particle textures are usable by anyone, right? So I added the rule that particles or ribbons may use any texture from the MPQ. ;)
(I set it to 1 texture only because, well, using 2 textures isn't so special. Many models do that without any limitation being imposed.)

We may discuss that and other ideas there at that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.