• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[ORPG] Shadows of Everwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
BannerEverwoodFinished3.png

The Vale Warden

“Nature has a voice, child. And that voice is me.”

The Valewalkers of the Fey Folk have always been considered myths, tales to keep children away from the forests. However, for unknown reasons, the wild men living in nature’s recluse have been drawn out of hiding and back into society where they have rallied under various lords for food and shelter in return for their unique mastery over the natural realm. The Vale Wardens utilise nature magic, combining it with their prowess as hunters and warriors. Though their traditions shun weapons, Vale Wardens have become fluent in the use of swords, axes and fist weapons, combining the strength of the earth, the calming flow of the river and the power of nature to eliminate foes.

EverwoodThreadArtFinished.png

Totems of the Wild
The Vale Wardens are the guardians of nature, and though their elders are able to properly summon spirits and channel their power, many of the wild men use totems as doors between the natural realm and the spirit realm. These totems call upon the powers of a spirit of the wild, who in turn is able to aid the warden by using its own powers and calling upon the creatures of the wilderness. Totems are permanent and the skills offered by them can ALSO be cast by the player.
  • Totem of the Sky – a totem which summons swarms of birds to attack foes and is able to control projectiles
  • Totem of the River – a totem which summons blessed dryads to cure allies and is able to heal allies with nourishing water
  • Totem of the Web – a totem which summons egg-laying broodmothers to overwhelm foes and is able to lay down poisonous webs
  • Totem of the Ancient – a totem which summons an oaken ancient which supports allies by offering camouflage and boons
  • Totem of the Pack – a totem which summons a pack of wolves while increasing the damage potential of allies the closer they are
  • Totem of the Fey – a totem which calls upon satyrs to deceive foes and uses ancient fey magic to turn foes against each other

Armour Class: Medium
Weapon Types:
  • One Hand: Sword, Dagger, Fist, Axe
  • Two Hand: Staff
Innate Attacks: Riverstrike, Maul and Beastly Claws
Healing Skills: Dryad's Kiss & Woodland Spirits

As a vale warden, you are able to adapt to situations quickly. Your totems cater to various circumstances, whether you’re built for it or not. You’re also able to claim areas for your allies easily with totems, which is important especially when in groups.

The Vale Warden Uncovered
Playing as a vale warden is all about the situation. You can build yourself to be a supportive healer or a robust tank, but no matter what, your totems are the cornerstone of your class. Each caters to different situations and each offer support, control and damage in their own unique forms. With this in mind, you’re also the only class specializing in area domination – use this to hold your ground, even when you’re fighting foes alone.

3285.png

Place a totem of the river, calling upon the river spirit and summoning three dryads.

Totem of the River is a primarily supportive totem. It summons a river spirit which is able to cast Nourish, a single-target heal which targets allies which are near death and Healing Spring, an area of effect heal. Additionally, the totem summons three dryads who cast 'Cure', a skill which removes one condition and has a 20% chance to apply regeneration.

4213.png

Place a totem of the web, calling upon the spider spirit and summoning two broodmothers.

Totem of the Web is one of the warden's more offensive totems, calling upon a spirit which can cast Venomous Spit, a single-target poison and Web of Lies, a short-area immobilize. This totem also summons two broodmothers which lay eggs sporadically. After a few seconds, these eggs hatch into Spiderlings.

5174.png

Place a totem of the sky, calling upon the cloud spirit and attacking foes with swarms of birds.

Totem of the Sky is a mixed totem, combining offence with control. This totem summons a cloud spirit which can cast Wind Shear, a conical blind and Shifting Winds, a skill which shifts the direction of projectiles. Additionally, swarms of birds are summoned which attacks targets with high threat against you.

EverwoodThreadArtFinished.png

2.png 1.png

Level 17
Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates. With exams over, everyone's just getting out of the routine of school and into summer (for you European and American folks, that is). Currently we're working on getting the wizard, pyromancer, berserker and valewalker up-to-date for an upcoming video we're planning which showcases a few of us fighting a boss! More information to come regarding that later on. :)

For me, I'm currently diverting my focus from classes to the main storyline and the quests that will be part of it. I'm experimenting with the idea of a linear storyline where everyone starts the same and ends in the same event. However, rather than following a linear quest path together, players will have the option to choose one of three NPCs to follow on their own journey to this 'final event'. Each NPC would have significantly different journeys and motives to get to this event (an example being one of the NPCs wanting to reclaim her kingdom). Currently I am planning 14 quests for the main storyline, four per path, one introduction and one conclusion.

Level 12
I remember this "exam talk" a lot for some reason. I remember it as if it were yesterday... this year passed by quick for me xD

So, Wolfe, are the classes done? Or are you just procrastinating on them to focus on something else and then returning later? And what's this talk of a linear quest path? Would that exclude a save/load system and just have to do it in one sitting? Or how would it work with somebody halfway through the questline and somebody else just starting it?

Level 6
Hoho, I've started coding again!

The_Witcher has been doing his thing, and the pyromancer is pretty much completed!

We (me & Witcher) are currently updating the heroes with additional skills, and tweaking existing ones a little.
More info about that later, perhaps.

I've just finished coding our new death mechanic.
It is a little bit complex, so ask away if I fail at explaining something!
  • Upon death your hero enters a downed state:
    • Hero becomes invulnerable, unable to act and has health regeneration disabled.
    • Hero recovers 1.65% health per second.

• Allied heroes may cast Resurrect on your hero:
    • Recover an additional 0.5% health per second.
    • This effect is stackable. (More resurrecting players = faster resurrection)

• At 33% hp, your hero leaves the downed state:
    • If you were aided by at least 1 hero, you will be resurrected on the spot with 33% health.
    • Else, you will be resurrected at the last Priest you met, and regain full health.

It will take 20 seconds for you to resurrect at the last Priest you met, and about 15-20 seconds if there is one hero aiding you (depending on how quickly he/she starts resurrecting).

EDIT: Updated to be a little clearer?

Last edited:
Level 12
Hoho, I've started coding again!

The_Witcher has been doing his thing, and the pyromancer is pretty much completed!

We (me & Witcher) are currently updating the heroes with additional skills, and tweaking existing ones a little.
More info about that later, perhaps.

I've just finished coding our new death mechanic.
It is a little bit complex, so ask away if I fail at explaining something!
  • Upon death your hero enters a downed state:
    • Hero becomes invulnerable, unable to act and has hp regeneration disabled.
    • Hero regenerates 1.65% health per second.

• Allied heroes may cast Resurrect on your hero:
    • Regenerates an additional 0.5% health per second.
    • This effect is stackable. (More resurrecting players = faster resurrection)

• At 33% hp, your hero leaves the downed state:
    • If you were aided by at least 1 hero, you will be resurrected on the spot with 33% health.
    • Else, you will be resurrected at the last Priest you met, and regain full health.

It will take 20 seconds for you to resurrect at the last Priest you met, and about 15-20 seconds if there is one hero aiding you (depending on how quickly he/she starts resurrecting).

So it's disabled, but it works?

Level 12
For me, I'm currently diverting my focus from classes to the main storyline and the quests that will be part of it. I'm experimenting with the idea of a linear storyline where everyone starts the same and ends in the same event. However, rather than following a linear quest path together, players will have the option to choose one of three NPCs to follow on their own journey to this 'final event'. Each NPC would have significantly different journeys and motives to get to this event (an example being one of the NPCs wanting to reclaim her kingdom). Currently I am planning 14 quests for the main storyline, four per path, one introduction and one conclusion.

Love this idea.

Level 6
So it's disabled, but it works?
Worded that badly.

Your hero's health regeneration (x points/sec) is disabled,
so stacking tenacity (the +regen stat) won't bring you back to life in 1 second.

Instead your hero has a percentage of its life healed/restored/recovered/regenerated every second.

At the moment, you can actually cast healing abilities on downed heroes and bring them back to life that way too.
However, healing done that way is reduced by 90%. (<-- Might change.)

Level 17
Hey dudes,

We've taken a different direction in the development of this project. Originally, we were going to do all heroes first before content, but we've decided to juggle both and release small but frequent additions to the game. That being said, Shadows of Everwood v2.0, Beginnings is in full force for development. This version will be covered in two patches, the first will cover L1 - 5 in the Duvant Bastion. This is just so players are given the chance to get a feel for the game, how combat works, how skills work, etc. We call this level bracket the Tutorial Phase. After that, we'll release the second part which covers L6 - 10. This is where difficulty begins to ramp up and players are given more quests, more bosses, greater challenges and a wider area to explore. We're designing these two critical versions at this point in time and want it to be everything that we've been striving to achieve, so I will not announce a release date or any approximate time period. However, I can confirm that:

• six heroes will be ready for these two versions - the wizard, pyromancer, berserker, valewalker, machinist and dawnguard
  • to ease players into the game, each class will be given a preset mix of six skills rather than all 20
  • nine quests in total for the first version, approximating in ten or so minutes of gameplay
  • the second version will be a lot longer and bigger, with greater replayability
  • various systems, polished terrain and all that jazz

To ensure that players don't get bored, we will ensure that a significant portion of the second version is completed before releasing Beginnings. I will be making a more detailed post on this closer to release, so when you see it, you'll know what's hiding around the corner!

Also - the machinist and dawnguard will be revealed over the next two months. Do not be scared of the two faceless names! And if I get any "omg look skyrim much?" comments, I will personally rape you. In the ears. With a scalpel. All classes are named for what they are thematically and functionally.

Regards,

Wolfe

Level 12
Well Dawnguard for the XBOX is out.
PC and PS3 are to come in say 30 days prior to the release.

On-topic:
YAY!

Which is why Xbox is better! :D

And yea, that's something to keep everybody occupied for a couple months until this gets launched... hopefully it won't occupy the development team >.>

Level 17
It wont really, as Beginnings is part of the game. We'll be releasing the game in patches, some small, others large.

At the moment, the coders are in full swing! Dawnguard's skills are ready for coding and the Machinist's are on the way. Quests have been outlined for the tutorial as well as the conceptualisation of two bosses - Vastorne and Swordsman Lund.

Level 12
It wont really, as Beginnings is part of the game. We'll be releasing the game in patches, some small, others large.

At the moment, the coders are in full swing! Dawnguard's skills are ready for coding and the Machinist's are on the way. Quests have been outlined for the tutorial as well as the conceptualisation of two bosses - Vastorne and Swordsman Lund.

So the game will be sort of like World of Warcraft, released in patches? If there is a save/load system, will it carry over between patches?

Level 17
You might have misunderstood. Content will be released in patches, the level cap being raised for every major update. So for example, Beginnings will feature the 1 - 10 area, another major patch would bring you the 10 - 20 area, etc. We wont be releasing the whole map as it is, everything will be gradual. This is probably better as we'll have less bugs to deal with by the time the full map is available.

Level 5
You might have misunderstood. Content will be released in patches, the level cap being raised for every major update. So for example, Beginnings will feature the 1 - 10 area, another major patch would bring you the 10 - 20 area, etc. We wont be releasing the whole map as it is, everything will be gradual. This is probably better as we'll have less bugs to deal with by the time the full map is available.

orly? i didnt know that

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Hey guys. First, i have followed this project since the original Everwood RPG first appeared here on Hives Workshop, and this looks very promising. However, there is one thing you should think about in my opinion, and that is the graphical style of the heroes.

You know, we already have great Orpgs in Gaias Retaliation and The Kingdom Of Kaliron, Orpgs which each has it's own style, TKoK is vanilla Wc3 unit heroes, Gaias has attachable items.

Because of these things i thought it would be a good idea, if your heroes were without weapons (unarmed), and then let weapons be the only visible attachable thing to them. This way is more work i know, but not as much as with full item attachables, and it makes for a more customisable distinct hero style even when people are using the same class (example: one wizard has a puny wooden stick, and another has a staff of flameuberness looking so much more frightening).

Good luck with your project !

Level 17
Firstly, thank you for your interest! Yes, Everwood ORPG was a wonderful start to this legacy. I sometimes speak to RolePlaynGamer too. :)

I agree regarding the 'style' issue. Our game should also have its own style and we're trying to achieve this. Regarding heroes, I think that is a viable way to go. It is something I'd have to discuss with our modeller though.

Level 6
Who knows? ;)

Finished writing a little program that fixes a problem with out-sourcing code like we do.
Revive system is pretty much finished, and has been tweaked only to allow one aide per downed hero.
Looking for effects for our conditions, and icons for our boons.

Level 17
Hey guys,

Due to recent circumstances which have ultimately left me disillusioned in this site and the people who govern this community. As such, I will be leaving the Hive soon but don't fret - Tukki has my password and will be able to maintain the thread. Probably better than myself.

But before I do go, I'd like to personally thank you all for your ongoing support. I know this hasn't been the most reliable project to put your faith into, but you still all did, and I appreciate it immensely.

For any team members who are unclear, and people as well, PM me or Skype me (zamphyri is my Skype name) and leave this thread clean.

Regards,

Wolfe

Level 16
You'll be still working on the project, right? It'd be shameful to have such an immerse amount of work and effort put into a project go in vain.

Also, AFAIK it's possible to give control of a thread/post to someone else, I've seen it done before; you may contact someone with the needed rights.

Level 17
Yes, we will still be working on this! We've worked too hard and frankly to let it all go because of this site is ridiculous.

And I'd rather not contact someone with the needed rights. If it makes it easier for Tukki, then he can do it.

Level 2
Yes, we will still be working on this! We've worked too hard and frankly to let it all go because of this site is ridiculous.

And I'd rather not contact someone with the needed rights. If it makes it easier for Tukki, then he can do it.

I'm happy that you're still working on this project!

Maybe you can build the 'freeforum' like TKOK?

from a Chinese War3Map translator

Level 6
Thanks for the kind words!

We actually have a website on some free web-hosting service, but its been dead since 2011 or so because we're so bad at maintaining it :p

I've done a great deal of optimization, fixing and 'ease of access'-type of stuff.
Currently cleaning up a lot of code and triggers before we start with the quests, events, boss fights and dungeons.

Level 17
Oziris might post something when he's finished doing his touch-ups. Maybe even HeroSlayer.

Level 17
Just to elaborate a little on Beginnings...

... there will be no proper quest-chain or story to the first version released. Rather, there will be three types of TASKS available for you to accomplish to tinker with the game and explore the classes a little.

• Practice - a series of quests to help familiarize yourself with the combat and mechanics of the game
  • Activity - a mini-quest which ranges from drinking a potion from a trough to gain a random boon to defending a witch as she performs a ritual
  • Contract - a bounty put up in towns by local guards and the Slayer Guild; essentially designed to lead you to random bosses and hostile factions to kill for a handsome reward

Also, we've settled on six classes. More may be added after the game has been significantly completed, but the Assassin, the Berserker, the Dawnguard, the Pyromancer, the Valewalker and the Wizard will be available with six skills and their dodge skill. The second version of Beginnings may bring about more skills and possibly talents.

The terrain is currently being fixed, polished and constructed by Oziris and HeroSlayer is working on some newer, higher quality doodads for the game. Beginnings will be set in The Bastion and the Village of Taryenic.

Level 11
It's almost the two-year anniversary of when this was first posted. ;D

Still highly looking forward to this. Keep up the good work guys.

I was really following this project from the start, and when the first beta version camed out i was dissapointed. There were many bugs,leaks. And the terrain wasnt made with pathing blockers i could walk through rocks,gates. Btw i was dissapointed but still i have hope to see something better next time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.