1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Orc Shield Bearer

Submitted by HerrDave
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
"With a sound like thunder the orc shields locked together, a living wall barring the mountain pass."

Full credit to Argos for his splendid illustrations, ideas, and lore for this unit!

Changes
-Added spikes to boots
-Fleshed out shoulder-pads
-Updated Non-defending attack animation
-Updated Victory animation
-Added metal gauntlet
-Updated skin
-Fixed clipping problems around thighs/kilt
-Thickened Ankles
-Hotfixed rear kilt clipping
-Hotfixed boot clipping
-Fixed visible kilt clipping on death
-Changed Death animation
-Removed death fire
-Updated Attack Animation
-Updated Running animation

Keywords:
Shield, Bearer, Unarmed, Orc, Dark, Iron, Warcraft, WoW, Evil, Horned, Horn, Skull
Contents

Orc Shield Bearer (Model)

Reviews
15:14, 4th Jul 2015 MiniMage: He looks like he tries to cut with an invisible sword. Since it's a shield unit, make his attack be a shield bash, make him hit people with the shield. Something along those lines. If that is not to your liking, give him...
  1. 15:14, 4th Jul 2015
    MiniMage: He looks like he tries to cut with an invisible sword. Since it's a shield unit, make his attack be a shield bash, make him hit people with the shield. Something along those lines. If that is not to your liking, give him a weapon.

12:27, 22nd Aug 2015
    MiniMage: The attacking animations still needs work in my opinion. However, it is functional, even though it looks weird to have an orc which primary means of attack is punching, when he is named "shield bearer". Anyhow, I'm approving this. Feel free to work on this even though it has been approved.

2. jonbon29

jonbon29

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great orc on a suit of armor HerrDave, however it would be really cool if he had a weapon.

3. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This looks nice. Nice filesize with a custom texture. I agree with the jonbon, he really needs some weapon and the legs seems to thin for me. Maybe bulk them up a little.

4. Vincent_Freeman

Vincent_Freeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    Freaking awesome, but his hand glitches through the shoulder-plate. And he lacks attack animations.

5. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    The model itself is decent and useful however i agree that he needs a weapon.Also,in his stand victory animation his arm goes through his shoulder pad.

6. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    He is like braum. His shield is his weapon. just fix the stand victory and it will be awesome.

7. Argos

Argos

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Beautiful weapon! I really like the shape of it, it looks amazing! ;)

5/5 would buy again + rep

8. Chaosium

Chaosium

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    The concept somewhat reminds me of the Bonechewer Shield Disciples in Black Temple. (http://www.wowhead.com/npc=23236/bonechewer-shield-disciple#screenshots:id=182371)

Who needs a weapon when you can slam your shield in your enemies' faces? BAM
    The boots are absolutely lovely - maybe a bit too much actually, I would've imagined some heavy plating for this guy, not Link's boots hehe^^

Sentence : 4/5 !

9. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    erm.. i'd just like to see the thighs fixed, so they don't clip with the skirt-like bit of the armor

10. neowangkobe

neowangkobe

Resources:
    Resources:
    we need the weapon~

11. HerrDave

HerrDave

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I have heard your many cries for a weapon, and I must deny you on the following grounds: As this was a requested model, I cannot mess with the requested core design which was a ludicrously heavily armoured orc with a tower-shield and no weapon.

I think this was what was in mind of/based on in the beginning [​IMG]

As they were a bit fuzzy on whether the unit could attack or not in general, I added the animations of a gauntleted punch and a shield-bash so it could be a more flexible model.

Being attachment illiterate, I cannot tell if you can add a weapon to this or not, but if you can, that may be icing on the cake.

12. jonbon29

jonbon29

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well if that's the case then, I respect that. But anyway it looks also cool without a weapon too and its unique, just make him more bulky though.

13. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Thighs still clip with the kilt on death anim.. fix that.
    and you don't even need 'death fire' anim.. war3 never used it

14. Leo Akastenix

Leo Akastenix

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey!! CAPTAIN Orc!

Cool!

15. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Awesome, congratz on your first orc!

I love your use of textures on this one.

16. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Guys, you can attach a weapon yourself with the object editor and some attachments.
    Great model!

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure exactly what about this model I find so appealing. Perhaps it is simply the fact that I'm seeing your ever-improving skills as a modeler come to bear on a resource that I could actually find a home for (i.e. is sufficiently Warcraft-y). : )

However, I must also admit I have a soft spot in my heart for "creative" ideas like a "warrior with 'no weapon'". Creating a "Shield Bearer" unit that is essentially entirely Defense opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities (formations, defensive auras that actually make sense on a hero unit, etc).

But on top of all that, the model is just sound. Nice, elegant, simple, and effective. If I were to make any suggestions for improvement, it would be thus:
    • Consider "rebalancing" the pauldrons. Specifically, making the shield-ward side (left arm) pauldron a lot smaller (since he's naturally more defended there), and moving the spikes on that pauldron to the other side (again, he'd want more defenses & such on his "off-side", I imagine). This will also have the benefit of removing any possible clipping (there is, perhaps, just a little bit of that going on now)
    • His shield is impressive... I could see it being even a bit bigger, if that's even plausible. I mean, I think "tower shield" and I think "6 feet tall". This reminds me of a "Heavy Shield"; definitely industrial-grade, but not quite 'tower' yet. Might just be me.

Anyway, consider those. Seriously, though, looks good; keep 'em coming! Let us know if you are looking for ideas. :p

18. kakuzu

kakuzu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great model ! It would be interesting if he threw his shield like the night elf sentinel

19. Gilded

Gilded

Resources:
    Resources:
    If this were approved 100000/5 :)