• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Equipment (sword, shield) on bearer's back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
So I searched a lot and could't find a way (that don't need editing every item model so it fits on the back) to attach an equipment to the back, is it possible to attach a equipment (sword, shield, bow) to the bearer's back without having to edit/move the 3d model in model editor ? Editing every single weapons model in 3d editor would be extremly tireful. I need something just like in this picture, instead I want it to work with swords and bows too.

Thanks

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-two-handed-shield-shield_on_back_example.jpg

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Maybe rotate the attachment facing on the actual unit? All shield models should be aligned in a similar orientation by convention so if you want it to face another way then change the attachment orientation. A few big models instead of possibly 100s of smaller models sounds a fair tradeoff.

In SC2 this could be done with site operators, sadly WC3 lacks this functionality.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Please, is it possible to rotate the attachment via "non-3dmodeling" methods ?
In Warcraft III it most certainly is impossible. In fact there actually is not much one can do with attachments in Warcraft III. You cannot scale them independently. You cannot change their animations. You cannot recolour them. You cannot attach attachments on them (nested attachments). You cannot change their facing. You cannot even change their attachment site (where the model attaches to the attachment point).

In StarCraft II they upped the functionality available for attachments so that doing such a thing is trivial. They rotate attachment facing all the time for force emitters so they orientate the desired direction that confetti (well death junk) should be thrown. The list of cannot do attachment features above are all can do in StarCraft II, and there are many more things they can do.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You can change their facing if you have a bone on the attachment point, then you can make the bone rotate to a certain thing and the attachment will follow.
Surely this requires one to modify the model?

The color will be inherited from the unit it is attached to.
Equal as the scale.
So you have no "independent" control over scale, which is what I said. Did not know about colour though.

is it possible to add an attachment point to the hero model so the weapons would stay placed in the correct side of the bearer's back ?
You'd need to add two attachment points then (indent them so that they inherit the translation and rotation values from the chest bone) and rotate them how you need them. Not a big problem in MDLvis.

It isn't too hard to add and manipulate attachment points, just open the model in the Wc3ModelEditor (You can download it in tools). The problem is rather getting the exact right angle, and that each attachment might be rotated differently, and therefore might need differently attachment points each.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1937295-post2.html

what about creating an unit or doodlad, 3d rotate it in the object editor and every 0.01 seconds instantly move it to position of hero in the desired place ? example: facing of unit or back of unit so it fits in the right place
Geez, just edit the unit models. It's literally just a few clicks in magos and Mdlvis. Ask in the model section if you don't know how. Your proposed solution will look terrible as it doesn't follow the animations properly.

Level 11
I managed to rotate and translate the equipment models using MAGOS so it fits my needs, I think I can handle this for now. You guys can declare this problem solved and thanks everybody for the help, it was much appreciated and I'll give +rep to everyone!

EDIT: Zwiebelchen I didn't saw your reply, I can find the thread if you want to see it, I tought I needed to edit the weapons, but if I can only edit the unit model it would surely save me some really big time!

this thread: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/requests-341/villager-255-anims-attachment-point-request-274816/

by the way you replied there too, but the model you posted didn't seem to work for me (more information on said thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.