1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Open Source Projects

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Mythic, Jul 30, 2020 at 4:52 PM.

1. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
      Whether modders want to pass on the torch or take it up, there is a new home for maps for all. Projects in this section are unprotected and free to edit. If you've made sufficient, distinct changes to an open source map, feel free to upload your version.

If you're looking to take a break from modding, but don't want to see your ideas collect dust - or just want to let someone else take a shot at them - you are encouraged to make your works Open Source.

If you're interested in taking up a playable project and adding your own twist to it, this section is the place to be!

⮞ To mark your bundle as open source, simply add the tag when editing it
      ⮞ All modified uploads of open source maps must also use the tag and credit all authors

@MoCo is retiring, and is hoping to see others take on the mantle of his projects. His maps include the Stealth RPG Shadow Over Blackwood, the AoS Aeon of War, and the Arena BUGS!

Also among the section's first offerings are the AoS Golden Lands by @-Manuel-, Warcraft Arena by @RAZORWc3Creator, and Impossible Siege by @GodLike.

Reminder: Maps that aren't meant to be playable belong in the Template section.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 12:44 AM
  2. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Cool. I also plan to make my campaigns open source some time in the future.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    To access Open Source tagged maps, follow these steps:
    maps01.png opensource.png
    Don't forget that you can find such maps in Substandard as well:
    maps02.png
    Click images in the spoiler tag to make them bigger.

While there's benefit from this, it also means more cheap edited maps for reviewers to moderate.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 5:52 PM
  4. Kakerate

Kakerate

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can we get some closed Source Support? Seeing as the new patches broke Vexorians, a heralded tool for the ages, it would only make sense that Blizzard would atleast try to fill the gap.

5. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Hmm. It's hard to decide whether I should go selfish and let my old projects die, or make my maps open source and let other people learn but also steal my map, both has advantage and disadvantage and I've been asking myself this question for years. I have tons of unfinished maps under my sleeves that I should have released as open source long ago, but it's still hard to decide if I should release it open to everyone, I'm also not sure if someone's interested to continue my maps.

Vexorian's tool still works for me you just have to configure the some settings/flags manually now; like importing the latest .j files and checking(avoiding) InitFunc Merge, GlobalInit Merge, Anti BJ and BJ optimize under Tweaks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:53 AM
  6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There's more disadvantage socially, if you don't release them at all as no one will benefit from them, not even you.

7. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They would be like maps in the spell section. People have to credit you if you want it. People who steal without crediting usually put very little effort into their maps. They would likely also be not allowed to be uploaded to sites like Hive, making them go unnoticed in the long run.

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's not gonna stop them from uploading to B.net.

9. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    True. I think it's really up to the original creator to determine how annoyed he would be about stolen credits. As far as I know my nickname usually gets associate with my projects, making stealing pretty useless. But I have also been on the other end: working in a team on a starcraft total conversion for WC3. An altered version of this map was promoted on a TV gaming channel in germany - credits changed.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That won't matter if the original author retires. That's pretty much the point of open source.
    What the hell man... Have you called the TV station to warn they'd be sued?

11. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sued for showcasing a warcraft 3 mod?

This was over 15 years ago. As far as I remember our team leader got in contact with the TV channel to clear things up; but I don't remember there was ever a statement by the TV channel (on their website) of any sort. I don't even remember what our project name was to google it. I only remember it was like Project Revolution () but smaller in scope. We originally had less detailed models than PR, when a modeller from PR quit and decided to just give us all their models, which made the PR team extremely furious. I vaguely remember that development on our project stopped soon after, as the WC3 engine was not capable to re-create some SC mechanics (or we lacked knowledge). If you are curious: The only system I designed was the placement of Vespene Geysirs. I mostly focused on cleaning up the UI (unit names, descriptions, button placement, etc).

12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    For replacing the authors as someone else. Did I misunderstand?

13. OutsiderXE

OutsiderXE

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That is correct. Wrong credits on a free mod for a video game - I dont think that is enough cause for sueing anyone. I dont blame the TV channel for not doublechecking.

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Of course. But a cheek slap would have been fair.

15. disruptive_

disruptive_

Resources:
    Resources:
    One have to remember that from a copyright standpoint the game itself is separated creation from the code, even if they are clearly related and are often the work of the same person (programmer != game developer != artist).
    HIVE current open-source definition appears to mean that one gives free rein (in the form of a unrestrictive license or public domain resign) to both the code and the game.
    I for example, plan on unprotecting my map, giving free rein regarding the code or assets i create, but reserving rights regarding the game itself as long as i'm developing it. If i ever halt the development, should i forgot to open-source the game itself, then making maps INSPIRED by those that i created (ie. they can get a gist of how to achieve a certain mechanic by looking at the code freely and potentially modify it to suit their needs).

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Depends what game means. If it's ideas, they can't be copyrighted. Or is that different from intellectual property in this context?

17. disruptive_

disruptive_

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you take OverWatch and Valorant you see clear imitation on mechanics and concepts. But are these games the same at all? They have different pace, different lore, different characters, and even they differ on how the mechanics work on the big picture. These are not the same products. Overall, when copyright applies to games AS games, it applies to the audiovisual display (not the code). It applies very easily to games, because games are a creative use (read: not plainly mechanical, there is more than on way to do things, there is freedom) of mechanics, lore, idea, concepts. Compare that to potentially protecting the audiovisual display of a spreedsheet program (all is functional, there are very few ways to convey information).

EDIT: Also, just to base my point further, copyright protection on games is a thing as ancient as year 1982. This point also illustrates that custom games could be protected by copyright as long as they have creative elements. A custom WC3 campaign that uses the lore and characters of Warcraft III is arguably a derivative work and not an original work for example. A custom map that is an RPG with custom lore, pacing, setting, characters, could be easily an original work, completely distinct from Warcraft III.

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sure but what I'm saying is, that there can be numerous "clones"/ripoff games like your map, the way you mention it, without any legal solution.

19. disruptive_

disruptive_

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Ripoff" from a ordinary standpoint is very heterogenic. Some people consider Hots/Hon/Lol etc. a ripoff of Dota. Here there was clear imitation on mechanics and ideas, but they all were clearly different products and as such different creations.
    But Ripoff in copyright (read: copyright infringinment) follows the analysis i did, but ultimately it is something that is decided by a judge using lots of other criteria on a case by case analysis (ie. the degree of the copying). On this trials, you bet that the judge will see the products ( ie. a screen running the games) and then proceed to compare them.
    So we can just use common sense. Let's say i make a map an AOS genre map called Uncle Disruptor Lane Pusher that has a given setting, characters, heroes, names, items, etc. If somebody that is not me suddenly makes a map called Uncle Disruptor Lane Pusher that imitates everything else but add cheats what would you say here? What if he adds 1 new hero?. What if he imitates everything else but changes the name to Uncle Deeps Lane Pusher? What if somebody just make another AOS map?

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's what they are ultimately, imitations. Basically, like remaking compositions/songs, redoing something "in your vision".