• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Open Source or Closed Development

Should the development be open source?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello anyone, I am currently in finalization of concept development, and I find myself in a situation where I am uncertain on the progression of the map. I am working solely on System pseudo-code and system layout at this time, and was wondering if anyone thinks if it would be most beneficial to have the project open source to anyone who wants to see the coding, or closed development to stop people from editing the map. Obviously I will not post a full, unprotected map, and would only post the system codes themselves, and go to various lengths to prevent any fraudulent releases, but which is better?

If the project was open source:
Pros:
  • New developers could openly examine the code and learn.
  • More advanced developers could help optimze the code / help debug.
  • People would be able to understand the underlying mechanics of the systems implecated into the map.

Cons:
  • People could C+P the code and attempt to duplicate the map.
  • Anyone who has experience with vJass could identify issues or imbalances and exploit them.

If the project was closed source:
Pros:
  • Development is explicitly for the developers, and we contain any bugs.
  • More difficult to get at the code.

Cons:
  • Newer developers don't have access to the code.
  • Bugs are only detected when reported, and only fixable by the development team.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what would be best for this map? I would most certainly love to have the code open source, but I am unsure if this is a good idea.

Level 28
I will always be a huge fan of open-source projects.
If you add a nice commentary-trigger, I do believe that the more advanced users (the only users who will actually be able to improve the current state of the map) will give credit when copying/improving anything.
Those who aren't very good with the editor and just want to steal stuff probably won't make a very good map anyway, despite their best effort to steal from well-made sources.

For me personally, it's also easier to test-play maps when they're open source :). Sometimes the single-player experience isn't a very good one, so I can edit the map (all be it slightly) to make it better for myself (it's just for single player, which I enjoy the most).

Level 9
Sup,
To me, this is a hard-to-consider problem since I'll glad if someone would open my map out and studies the way things they think it's cool works. And sure, apply to their map with a little C+P will be fine to me as long as they give some credits (showing some greatful to the original stuffs).
BUT, the opposite way is opening the map to edit the creator names to be their own names, or Copying without credits, adding CHEATS, making the map sucks, swearing with bad meanings...etc.. ALL of them are what i hated the most but still, there're people who doing that - HATE THEM ALL OF COURSE
So, I can't give a conclusion but i believe my heart says yes :)

I am now keeping all my newly uploaded maps as an entirely open source.
As long as you post your map to an entirely reliable source base you shouldn't have any trouble proving it is yours.
I always enjoy going through others maps to see how they coded it considering that I am only learning myself but I never steal/ always make my code and entire map in general from scratch.

This is why I also like coding in vJass so only the more advanced users know how to edit the map to make it more advanced. Considering that only people who know how to code in vJass are usualy the people who don't want to make a replica of your map that is completely retarded and make a bad reputation on it.

But yeh is the map is well enough set out, even with some basic vJass knowledge it can be edited more easily.

Edit: but if you are just posting the code for the systems. I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.