• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New map resource section open source only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
New map section open source only?

Due to the fact that multi-player maps have no purpose in the resource section and that no one in their right mind would upload a protected map now. I say this because in order to play a multi-player map, you have to stay connected to Battle.net and downloading multi-player maps doesn't actually allow you to play them online. That is, unless you upload them yourself.

So it is only natural to conclude that all uploaded maps could as well be required to be open-sourced.

By open-sourced I mean, unprotected and all its resources accessible by anyone.

I'm not entirely sure if this has any discussion value since this is HOW it will end up like due to the nature of how custom maps are handled by Battle.net from now on.

Have fun with the idea.

Or just do what i said. Map pages are ads, unless the map is no longer available on the battle.net. Whenever a map is taken down, the owner will have a message sent to him from thw, asking him if he wishes to upload the map on the HW server.
Same with mods.

Also, If 30 days pass, without an update, comment or downloads, the auto-updator is turned off for that map (to optimize scans).

That's the idea at least. If Ralle could do even half of that, i am sure that the rest of the community would help him out.

Level 19
Or just do what i said. Map pages are ads, unless the map is no longer available on the battle.net. Whenever a map is taken down, the owner will have a message sent to him from thw, asking him if he wishes to upload the map on the HW server.
Same with mods.

Also, If 30 days pass, without an update, comment or downloads, the auto-updator is turned off for that map (to optimize scans).

That's the idea at least. If Ralle could do even half of that, i am sure that the rest of the community would help him out.

Because the traditional way of handling map as a resource is different now, perhaps we should do something different.

It would be a great idea, as you stated, if the map section were to become a tracker that contained various information, such as statistics, discussions and resources of maps. It would become a lot more useful.

We could also implement a Battle.net Map Scanner, scanning all your uploaded maps, mods, etc, also connect it with characters from wow, IDs etc, and fill them into your Hive Workshop acount, with "Show" "Hide" options for each item. Of course, it would be open source, and it would be usable as a chat client for the chatroom, with beeps, etc, and possibly, it would have the ability to check for threads you have subscribed at that have been bumped.

I know that would invade personal life, but since it would be open source, people would be able to see if something is being transmited without your will.

So, what we need is a Hive Workshop Tracker of some sort.

Level 19
We could also implement a Battle.net Map Scanner, scanning all your uploaded maps, mods, etc, also connect it with characters from wow, IDs etc, and fill them into your Hive Workshop acount, with "Show" "Hide" options for each item. Of course, it would be open source, and it would be usable as a chat client for the chatroom, with beeps, etc, and possibly, it would have the ability to check for threads you have subscribed at that have been bumped.

I know that would invade personal life, but since it would be open source, people would be able to see if something is being transmited without your will.

So, what we need is a Hive Workshop Tracker of some sort.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic but I did define what I meant by open-sourced as it can get within Blizzard's framework.

Level 11

Why?

I mean, people can (and should) just upload that stuff themselves. We don't need some kind of annoying little program to do that for you. Chances are, the main things it would upload would be things people don't want to upload.

IMO, people should be able to make projects, which would be like wc3 maps only you don't download anything. They could put screenshots and stuff in here, people could submit bug reports/suggestions, and people could rate it or give reviews of it. It would allow for more organization than project threads, so personally I think it would be better than that option.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
All multiplayer maps are as good as open source (which is great, blizzard finally put an end to that shitty fad of map protecting people became addicted to with WC3).

Just find the map within the 30000 folders odd SC2 generates as a cache and open it with a decent MPQ editor. All the map data is easilly available for you.

Ofcourse, locked maps can not be edited directly (if you want this, you likly plan to steal the map) and some data is permantly missing (GUI triggers) but you still can learn from any map now. Further more, this means that poorly maintained maps still have the potential to be playable more easilly now without having to edit mangled or damaged archives at a low level.

Worried about people stealing your map? Well, it is impossible if your map is popular because people would notice a fake quickly and only play the offical version published by you and secondly you can always try and report it to blizzard (who will then probably notice you locked the map and thus remove the fake for you I imagine). As for people who cheat, let kids be kids and design your map so it does not mater.

A map is only stolen if you are defaced from it as a creator and that the map is actually played (especially more than your offical versions).

Status
Not open for further replies.