1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The results for Texturing Contest #28 are out! Step by to congratulate our winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join us in our custom games night on Saturday, July 14. If you'd like to create a map for the night, check out the map challenge!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Join in on Icon Contest #17 and show your interpretation of a legendary equipment set!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We've created the Staff Job Openings thread. We're currently in need of icon, video production, and social/multimedia positions to be filled. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Music Contest #10 Retro is out! Join us for some retro/vintage fun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don't be stagnant - embrace change! The time has come to evolve and join the Techtree Contest #12 - Evolution.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. On May 20th a new law about privacy and data processing comes into work in the EU. I am no lawyer and I need help figuring out if we comply and if not, what we must do about it. Please message me if you can provide any assistance. Read more. Ralle
    Dismiss Notice

Bugs!

Submitted by MoCo
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Host map Arrange game

changelog:
v1.7: (hopefully) no more desync errors

You will always find more information about the map and updates in this thread:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f202/bug-evolution-one-day-bugs-life-107133/

Screenshots

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

MAP INFO:

This is your life as a bug!

Following the law of darwin, only the strongest insects will survive. Your task is simple: kill, eat and evolve, but try not to get eaten by someone larger than you!
In your evolution, you will become bigger and adapt the abilities of the insects you kill.

Who will be the first bug to reach level 70 and rule the carrot garden?

- 1 to 9 players
- decent AI support
- fully written in jass

Thanks to:
GreyArchon (original "digger" idea), 13LUR (Sim Ant map), communist_orc (beehive model), Dan van Ohllus (snail & slug models), Darkwulfv (xp system), D.O.G. (fly and green worm model), Heroic_Milkman (bee model), Olof Moleman (dragon-fly & coackroach models), Werewulf (carnivorous plant model).

Keywords:
bug, bugs, BUGS, beetle, beetles, insect, insects, evolution, deathmatch, team, dm, micro, arena
Contents

BUGS! (Map)

Reviews
04:10, 25th Dec 2009 ap0calypse: Approved
  1. 04:10, 25th Dec 2009
    ap0calypse: Approved

2. dragor-X

dragor-X

Resources:
    Resources:
    Seems nice ^^ I evaluate your map (without any test) to 4/5
    I'll test it to give a real rating.

3. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    the ai could be a bit better because they were lvl 25 when I was lvl 40 D:

4. Slasher

Slasher

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very interesting and orginal map. I like it:thumbs_up:
    But when computer players digged into the ground, they didn't know how to destroy those rock so they were stucked there all the time.:bored:

5. Royy

Royy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow, great idea! And great terrian/model use. But could use some work, the game is really boring in perspective (no offense) because there isn't all that much gameplay wack some insects and...that's it.

1. You really need to add multiple heroes that are more dynamic (such as picking an ant for a hero) and adding tech trees to those heroes (such as becoming a worker ant, warrior ant, queen ant, fire ant, black ant, possiblities could be endless!)

2. Also, events to the game could spice the game up some (such as a human walking over the battlefield) plus weather (such as rain forcing ants under)

3. I really love the terrain, but it needs some more diversity, maybe a puddle? A log? Rather than just an assortment of flowers and rocks. And have different types of insects spawn in different areas (Beastles/worms in logs, flys/dragonflys in ponds maybe even frogs?)

4. You should really change ants some, they should be swarm a whole lot more rather then just spread out (but if you aren't for the sake of tuning lag down, that's fine), but atleast make them have colonies that go underground and above with queens and such.

5 (I'm talking about AI) Adding onto 4 you should change the respawn of bugs into something more orginal, like ants being hatched by the queen and their population unchecked would be amassed, or like spiders having them lay eggs.

6. You really need to change up burrow because it's sort of annoying for battle, it's just running away. What i suggest you should do is while you burrow you not be invunrable and have the cast time be abit longer, i doubt anything can go under so quickly.

OR

You could make it act as sort of a waygate, espically if you add in ants, you spend like 20 seconds digging and you have a waygate under. And from there anyone could fill up the hole again.

7. Day and Night possibly? Have all the day time insects go under the ground or hide and have things such as moths and spiders come out? Limited sight/ect.

8 1 kill=1 level? What if an ant takes down a spider? You really need to add an actual exp system really

9. Possibilities of allying? Or game modes? Such as banding together to destroy ant colonies or spider hives?

10. Bees with honycombs would be cool, they could act as sucide bomber types?

11. Not sure how you would fix this, but spiders and ants shouldn't be allying up to destroy me

3 out of 5 as is

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  6. Skizzik

Skizzik

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i liked it but is liked Rovy said, after some time it becomes boring, try to implement it
    3/5

7. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    really the AI is a little weird thought :) and the name too, thought it was a bug finding mini game or somethin like as Dondustin says you get alot more xp then the ai, maybe something like dxp for computers would be nice

8. Interium

Interium

Resources:
    Resources:
    1000/1000 :)
    It's very interesting and funny map. I like it too...

9. TheBlooddancer

TheBlooddancer

Resources:
    Resources:
    You misspelled a couple of things.

Such as in the Vampirism skill.

• You should add more stuff, like more modes (Find the treassure?)
    • More skills
    • More high levels
    • Ennemies (Creeps) which would evolve too.
    • Better food

10. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Thanks for all the comments so far!

Phew... Royy, this is really a bunch of constructive feedback.. but these are very good ideas!

The scenario seems to offer a lot of possible and interesting gameplay aspects I haven't even minded so far. I hope I'll find some time, to continue working on this map. I think the overall map size has to be enlarged, it maybe a bit too small right now.. (?)

If there is someone, who wants to help on this project, please feel free to contact me..

@TheBlooddancer: Could you send me a list with all misspelled things? That would be great!

and hell yeah: the ai really sucks right now ;)

11. RaidonGod

RaidonGod

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    hmm like spore in first phase xD
    eat, adapt skills from others and evolve^^
    nice but AI is a little bit dump =/
    anyway: 3.9/5^^

12. TheBlooddancer

TheBlooddancer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, the only thing that i remember is that you wrote something wrong in that Vampirism spell. Something that should have been 'Like this' but you wrote 'Lik ethis'.
    No big deal, overall great game, but i would love to see more modes, more 'bosses' more special features and more stuff happening underground.

13. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The idea of this is definitely a good one that needs pursuing and the terrain is nearly flawless, though I found a lot of things that made the overall game very lacking. A little fixer up and it'd be awesome.

First off, the AI, like everyone else said, TOTALLY SUCKS. They run around and randomly attack you, which is cool, but they all gang up on you. Lucky for you, I've been working on a spore map (which I just discontinued) with really good AI for the same type of thing. First off, go into Advanced -> Gameplay Constants and find 'Creeps - Guard Distance', 'Creeps - Return Distance', 'and Creeps - Return Time (sec)', 'Creeps - Max Creep Camp Radius' and set all those values to 0. Then on ur creep bugs, set the accusation range equal (or just above) the attack range. All of this will make it so that ur creeps don't gang up on people.

Also I noticed ur AI all kinda clumped up, I don't know your triggers so I don't know why they do that, but they do.

Second of all, I noticed the game is really hard to start off and really easy towards the end. At level 1, I was mauled by bugs of all kinds, who actually ganged up and raped me on several occasions. Maybe start off with a lot of easier bugs and a few nasty ones, and add more hard ones as the game progresses.

I like how you need to "earn" your abilities by killing so many of a certain kind, definitely a good idea, but maybe add more of these? I'd like to see a few more abilities to spice up the game. You may want to think about expanding the terrain a bit, then you can add more bugs with more collectible abilities.

The underground area is a good idea, I like how there are DIFFERENT bugs down there, but it doesn't feel like there's enough going on down there for all that space. Maybe add an ant colony?

Also, as the other people have said, the experience gain is a little wacko. Maybe add a simple exponential requirement and gain? For example, have level 2 require 100 xp and have caterpillars give 10 xp, and have lvl 3 require 300 xp and have another bug give 20. This way if you take down a higher level than your suppose to, you gain a ton of experience and little if you play it safe and eat the little guys. This would add a lot more dynamic to the game.

I suppose that's all I got for now. 3/5 for now, but I know this could definately get better.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  14. Tanasren

Tanasren

Resources:
    Resources:
    Huu what a nice map !

I like the landscape which i found amazing ! I really thought i was a bug ! :p
    Same for models and the evolution (when u kill 5 bugs).
    But you should add events, secrets things, challenges (and maybe change the goal because getting lvl 70 is for cowards xD). By these i mean : "kill the huge spider" "kill the carnivour plant" "find an ant egg and feed it (by giving the food items)" "kill red ants and ally with black ants" "kill black ants and ally with red ants" "kill the two antqueens" "find the secret place (with tunnels etc...)" and those must be find by players, not told by the tips !
    Others things you can add:
    - snails and slugs must be stronger (hard to kill), must give a lot of exp and must be bigger !
    - the black ants fight the red ones under the ground and also kill earth worms etc...
    - the huge spider stays at the same place but kills everyone in her range
    - when you kill an entire ant colony, the other one pops out from the ground and attack everyone (creeps too but during this time they resurect faster) until the queen is dead.
    - when you kill an ant queen but not the colony they will surely perish by the other one (so the queen gives an aura or smthg like that to the ants), if you help them, and do some actions with their eggs, you can make a new queen to born and the fight takes place again.
    - i think a lot of bugs should fight others but it may be hard to do :x
    - add more "evolutions"
    - add secrets things in the ground
    - add more items
    - we should be able to choose which bug we want cause models are very nice (and we can fight our own specy/family)
    - bugs might change when a timer ends or when a big bug is killed (and all evolve or all replaced) like in dbz tribute map
    - change experience gain

I surely said many times the same things xD but take care of that comment and the others too ! this map has a great potential !

15. TheBlooddancer

TheBlooddancer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Making creeps attack creeps, isnt that hard. Just make a time trigger, that makes everybody allied to Neutral hostile, to (1/10 chance) attack a nearby creep.

Then also add a new trigger, which is something like 'A unit is Attacked' And then, order the attacked unit to attack the attacker. Phew.

16. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Thanks for all the new suggestions.. awesome!

I'm probably gonna start working on a new version tonight.

Creeps no longer ganging up and attacking themselfes should be very cool indeed..

You may also use the development thread http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f202/bug-evolution-one-day-bugs-life-107133/ since I would like to put new updates and testing version there first.. So if you like, please post comments / suggestions there too, because it really lacks of any feedback so far.. :/

I'll add everyone who was helpful with testing and suggestions to the credits of course.

17. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Blood's right, its easy to do in GUI, you can even add an if then that figures out if the bug has lower hp, and if it does, runs and heals, if not, attacks the attacker.

If you'd like some help doing a few changes, I'd be willing to give some. A lot of people have given a lot of different advise. If you try and satisfy them all, your map will be too complicated and gameplay will fail. Keep it relatively simple to pick up on.

18. TheBlooddancer

TheBlooddancer

Resources:
    Resources:
    :wink:

I've allready asked him what kind of JASS this uses, as i see this could be done easy in GUI, cause you only controll one unit at a time, and its the same unit all the time.

19. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    And even more easy to do in vJass.. ;)