• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bug Evolution - One day in a bug's life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
BUGS! - One day in a bug's life

Hey there,

I've started a little fun map called BUGS!.

It has been inspired by the http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f462/digger-51568/?highlight=digger thread and by this map: SIM ANT v1.9 - Warcraft 3 Maps - EpicWar.com.

The map is fully written in jass and features the 'digging' ability that allows you to dig in and out an underground area combined with an evolutional gameplay which means, that you will get stronger and larger for killing other insects. If you kill special insects, you will aquire their abilities. So: you become what you eat. But there is a lot of population in the carrot garden and you also have to take care, not to get eaten by larger insects than you..

The map features an AI script so you can fill up slots with computer players as you like, theoretically, team play is also supported.

Thanks to: GreyArchon (original "digger" idea), 13LUR (Sim Ant map), communist_orc (beehive model), Dan van Ohllus (snail & slug models), Darkwulfv (xp system), D.O.G. (fly and green worm model), Heroic_Milkman (bee model), Olof Moleman (dragon-fly & coackroach models), Werewulf (carnivorous plant model).

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/bugs-v1-6-a-108090/

Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• bugs01.jpg
    bugs01.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 1,238
  • bugs02.jpg
    bugs02.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 2,717
  • bugs03.jpg
    bugs03.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 1,585
  • bugs04.jpg
    bugs04.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 1,124
  • bugs05.jpg
    bugs05.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 899
  • bugs06.jpg
    bugs06.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 11,695
  • bugs07.jpg
    bugs07.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 1,192
  • BUGS.w3x
    826.6 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Level 4
The Bug Evolution name that you want to use is already claim by someone else map. Check the original Bug Evolution map: Bug Evolution v.1.6 BETA
So you should look for another name.

Actually why not giving some credit to the map maker who giving you the inspiration?

Level 13
v0.98 changes:
- you win at reaching level 70
- a lot of new enemies, some with custom gfx
- now you will only evolve a level, if the killed unit's level isn't too far away from your own level
- creeps are from leve 1 to 70, so you won't be just farming your last levels to your win too easily
- the higher the level, the less the number of creeps on that level
- now you don't have to kill unique bosses for certain abilities, but you will have to kill more units of a kind to adapt their ability
(for example, you have to kill 5 spiders of any kind to aquire the poison sting ability)
- you can collect food (restoration item)
- some code improvements

EDIT (message posted on 22-Nov-2008 4:37 PM):
v1.0 is finished:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps.php?id=tgoa09

Give it a try! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 13
I've upped a new version: v1.4

Most significant changes:

- creeps no longer gang up and attack each other (if not of the same race)
- XP system added (enemies give XP depending on their level and the level distance to your level)
- larger map size
- added a bee hive
- added 2 opposing ant colonies
- added weather
- added an alliance system (you can ally with up to 3 other bugs)

Some things I'm considering to add for further version:

- different hero classes (maybe spider, bug, ant with different stats and abilities)
- more abilities
- more trigger events / in game goals (like: kill the ant queen to gain xy)
- better AI for computer heroes

Thanks to all people gaving very constructive feedback here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps.php?id=tgoa09&prev=search=bugs&d=list&r=20

EDIT:
Any suggestions for modes?

My head is so empty...

right now.. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
Wow, great update, keep up the good work. I really love what you've done with the bee hive and ant colonies. Few bugs i noticed though:

Carnivorous plants don't seem to be able to attack you

The teamless ants will gang up with either black or red ants to kill you

Flys and dragonflys don't seem to move

Worms don't give corpses(or visible ones)

I noticed an anthole that led to nothing

Now, for suggestions:

Giving weather a purpose? Such as rain being destructive (imagine how big it is to bugs)

A way to attack air?

Making spiders a little more interesting (such as making them spin webs and catching helpless bugs, you made a spider web area thingy, but theres no spiders there and it has no function)

Stinging should suicide the bee (Once it looses it's stingy it dies because it's stingy is connect to it's innards, and once it tries pulling out it pulls out it's guts)

And the bee hive should be enter able, rather than just attacking it, and have a queen bee, foragable honey, ect.

As for modes..

An ffa mode, no allying?

Being able to set the amount of lives to win

A mode where theres two teams, half on the black ant team, the other half on the red ant team

Vanquish the bees mode? dunno

First to destroy the evil spider?

Pvp mode, where everyone starts with alll abilities and maxed out levels

Level 13
Thanks for the bug report!

I could just put the red ant colony to the lower left corner, and the black colony to the upper right --> Ant AoS mode ;) Hmm.. I'm seriously considering to do this!

Btw: You can attack air, if your bug aquired the poison sting ability (for killing 5 spiders).

Yeah, queen bee and honey are already planned, enterable hive would be interesting too.

These all are good mode suggestions!

I especially like the idea of setting the number of lives. This could become some kind of hardcore-survival mode: after reaching level 10, you only have one life! Dead players can watch the surviving ones..)

Level 13
I guess you mean the dirt / rock chunks in the underground area?

Theoretically, it should be an easy thing to make it regenerateable.. It's just that I'm not quite sure, if this would make things better.. I dunno..

I've also thought about giving your bugs the possibility to create homes or hideouts. Maybe underground ones..

Level 7
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH

This map is awesome!

And random events too like a guy walking on the grass or rain like what royy said
Add a pond and lizards or frogs and put some other secrets :>

And change underground, the only thing nice there are the cockroach, unknown species and scorpions, maybe make a Scorpion Queen or something? Or centipedes/millipedes?

Also add other cockroaches, not all of them are small and some are really big! Like the ones in fear factor

A bird/bat could be nice, it would be flying around and suddenly drop down to eat some bugs. And maybe you get the option of climbing up its nest to kill the chicks?

Day/Night cycle changes, different bugs and whatnot

More evolutions!! More bugs!!!!!!!

This map has great potential, it's just made of so much awesome win!!

Level 3
this map is awesome! I WANT TO DO THINGS TO IT THAT THE NEXT DAY I WOULD NOT BE PROUD OF! i found no glitches whatsoever. cant find the darn bees though!

Level 1
Is there anyway that someone could update this map for v1.24? The JASS changes associated with the return bug caused the map to cease working.

Level 19
Wow, I love it. It doesnt work on 1.24, but is still awesome.
It was incredibly atmospheric, the huge carrots look awesome.
What was with the huge shadow texture and selection circle?
You should increase the sigh range by a little bit, so that it encompasses the whole screen and large things do not just suddenly appear.
I found it a bit confusing, you should put more information into the Quest Log.
Since it is a game in which the player only really controls one unit, you should shorten the acquisition range.
The bugs names should be changed, what kind of bug would be names Thebis-Ra?

You should also consider making some sort of underground base-building aspect, so players can build a little "lair" of some sort.

Anyway, I think this should be uploaded, it's great and more-or-less complete.

Level 13
I found many bugs in this map. THEY ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE!

True! :D

Thanks for all input and feedback! :) Glad you like it!

I guess there are a lot of cool features, that could be added to the map to increase it's fun and benefit the gameplay.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I find time to further work on the map and new features etc.

But I will definitely release a new version within the next days, that will be compatible with the latest patches and will take care of some other small things mentioned!

PS: Merry christmas! ;)

Level 9
This one reminds of the game Spore,gonna try the map now..

[edit]oops doesn't work with 1.24c,I'll just wait for the updated version..Nice concept..

Status
Not open for further replies.