• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Next terrain contest...

What is your favourite theme?

• Dark/Evil

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Mysterious

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Atlantis

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Historical

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Blue

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • River Styx (Underworld)

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Molten Core

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Like I have said in my post, "all" themes seem to lack originality apparently. That's why I said that appart from being unoriginal (like all other themes?) blue is also simply lame. Why? Because it's a fracking colour.

I fail to see how blue is in ANY way a theme. Oh, maybe if you make some free associations and think of "blue" as in "water" or "intelligence" or "healing" or whatever, but only THEN do we have a theme, a theme called "water" or "intelligence", but not a *theme* called "blue".

As a sidenote to that, since it's not a theme and in fact is the source of many possible themes, it's simply too "undefined". Originality is only encouraged there where you have restrictions, not where you can do anything you want as long as you put some blue filter on it.

Eh... Why do you think I'm going to give an original theme when I myself have just said there ARE no original themes anymore since it's all been done? I mean, did you even read what I said?
On top of that, why do I even need to suggest a better theme anyway? Can't I simply be critical towards a *theme*? I mean, there are enough options in the poll already and never said anything about the other options, I'm just saying that blue is by far the most horrible option out there. If I can't say that,
Of course you can think it sucks, and it would probably fail, but I thought it was an interesting idea, and there's only one way to find out if it would work. And I don't see how it's not original. Original != Good, Original = Original.

why not ...

WRATH OF THE LICH KING!!!... that could be cool.. :p cause we can do what ever we want... as long as its related to the lich kind ... (troups of undeads, the frozen throme.. an epic battle vs the lich king, Nez'gul's laire..., a corrupted village.. etc..etc..etc..etc..) :D

Level 18
hmmm

id hate to sound bland... but i think the next contest should be blue.

why? well if it where dark and mysterious, childrec would definetly win ( sry childrec :p)
and there isn't that much inspiration with greek mythology. the construction contest was a bore ( for me, not for others i suppose)

a blue terrain however is flexible and can be expansive, creative and beutiful at once. you can either create a beutiful snowy landscape, or you can create a dark and crystal cavern.. idk.

i like goblins idea though too...

Level 13
i'm going with mysterious on this one
and no matter how many people say that i cant make terrain i'm going to try for this contest......
OF COURSE ITS GOING TO SUCK!
one second NO-IMPORTS damn never mind i'm out

Level 13
i had a good Creey/Mysterious terrain going than my editor messed up than i read that there isnt allowed imports for this so i gave up

Level 34
Void got owned.

I don't think we'll use the double theme. I don't like anything that combines with mysterious. Half of them sound mysterious to start with.

Level 34
When I stop procrastinating, and get the go ahead from Hawk.

Does everyone want Mysterious?

Level 36
Not for playable though, which is what we're going to do, I believe.

I vote for playable no imports with winter or cold theme.

Criteria would be like this:
Appearance - 50 points, how good it looks :p
Playability - 25 points, is there room to play in, is it easy to see what you're doing?
Theme - 25 points, does it follow the theme?

Level 18
wooow ! slow down a minute!

okay playable is nice. But we are definetly going to get ugly screenies.

WHY? scaling !!

in playable terrains, everything will definetly not be to scale. Trees in the foreground will look like the same height as trees in the background.
if you want playability, you surley cant have some tree doodads, with 5.0 scale, while others have .4 scale ....

and i have seen nice playable terrain, but we all know that the full potential here is with nice looking terrain that it correctly scaled if you know what i mean.

Dont get me wrong though, im just shoveling out my opinion before you go on with it

Level 34
Or how about, I don't give a shit if it's WoW, just make something. Why would someone make a WoW terrain? You'd just lose anyways.

I think I'm just going to make it Playable Winter. Too bad if you don't like it cause this is taking too long, and I know if I don't get it started now, I won't until after Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.