• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terrain Contest #6 - Theme Poll

Terrain Themes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Well whatever category places like Valhalla and Olympus fall into. The thing with lands of the dead is, in most cultures they are boring or just too vague.

I don't think so. In ancient Egypt, they had a great underworld with all sorts of things. First you had to endure a journey through many trials like flaming serpents and that sort of stuff. Then you got judged before Anubis and Osiris, and sent somewhere where you deserved your fate. Not just like Heaven and hell, but with all sorts of varying degrees of torture and reward. And not so many basic things like eternal flames and that sort of stuff. I can't really think of any good examples, but I think it would be cool to make.

Also, Greek mythology had a good underworld. I know everyone thinks its the most boring underworld, but in reality, it's more interesting than just black stone and fire. There is the Palace of Hades. There is Tartarus, the realm of the condemned, and the plains of Elysium, paradise, but different from other heavens in that they looked more like idealized Greek landscape, and, for the really good souls, idealized Greek island.

The Celts had the isle of Avalon, and there is even the oldest afterlife recorded in history, Dilum, the land of the sunrise, a lush garden full of fruit and game.

These are just a few possibilities, and if anyone doesn't know much about afterlife myths of different cultures, I recommend starting here: http://www.ask.com/bar?q=afterlife+of+different+cultures&page=1&qsrc=2417&zoom=Christian+%3CKW%3EAfterlife%3C%2FKW%3E%7CAncient+Egyptian+%3CKW%3EAfterlife%3C%2FKW%3E%7CEgypt+%3CKW%3EAfterlife%3C%2FKW%3E&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.experiencefestival.com%2Fa%2FAfterlife_-_Life_After_Death%2Fid%2F46800, finding one you like, and looking it up on other sites.

As for a heaven and hell themed thing, if we did that, I agree that we would get a happy place and firespam. Although, it might be interesting to make purgatory.

Level 35
Mythology: Keep it to a recognizable culture (but don't limit it to aztecs, or greeks, or a single culture...let the people breathe in their themes)

I'm down with restricting it to a sacred place...I call Greek shrine/grove!

LOTR: do it...I call rivendell :D

Level 34
Looks like it's mythology. Anyone have ideas for a description? I always struggle with those.

Level 34
I want to see LotR terrains. : (

I'll/Void'll be waiting a while before making this contest. The theme isn't final yet, but will most likely be the one with the most votes when we go to set up the contest.

Level 36
Oziris, um, it's spelled Osiris. So.... yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah....
Greek mythology beats the others by far IMO. They're crap anyway :p

Oh, and I think for Greek and temples of worship we'll need this model, very probably: Temppeli skinillalowpoly - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
Otherwise:
a. Greek/Roman Temple - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
b. Roman Villa - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

Oh no no. You'll be making them from scratch ;]

Level 35
Say Void...would I be allowed to make a few models for my use in terrain contests?

Now that I can export mdl, I could probably use the practice anyway to help get me on my feet again. And there are some things that I might like to 'make myself' rather than 'lego build' with the UTM stuff.

Level 34
Say Void...would I be allowed to make a few models for my use in terrain contests?

Now that I can export mdl, I could probably use the practice anyway to help get me on my feet again. And there are some things that I might like to 'make myself' rather than 'lego build' with the UTM stuff.
The host of the contest can sanction models outside of the UTM. Of course you have to also make them public.

Level 34
Mythology / Ancient history by the looks of it. Void, you'll have to come up with an explanation of what the theme is exactly. Good luck, that's always the hardest part.

Status
Not open for further replies.