• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terrain Contest #6 - Theme Poll

Terrain Themes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Which terrain theme you would like to see for the next contest?

Mysterious: Create a terrain that invokes a sense of mystery. Perhaps a spooky wood, or a lone corpse in a field.

Lord of the Rings: Create a terrain based on the lands and cities from Middle Earth. They can be anything from the trees of Trees of Valor to the white city of Gondor.

Mythology / Ancient History: Create a terrain based on places of legend, or from ancient history.

High Resolution: This choice sucks. Don't pick it.

Armageddon: What would the final minutes of Earth's existence look like?

Underground: About as lame as High-Res.

Level 34
Mythology will be tough to really describe as a theme. Anything from ancient history will be accepted, and anything out of old legends. I've always been easy going with the theme.

Level 9
I don't think it was England it was in Europe though.

In ancient times things had different names and we don't have complete history from the 'barbarians' of Europe like we do from the 'great' Romans and Greeks, such things were not cared for, when people like Julius Caesar invaded southern Europe. My point is, there could have been a Mordor, Europe. My brother took a class on J.R.R. Tolkien and he told me what tLotR was supposed to be (European mythology).

Level 12
Yeah, people speculate that he based his work on early Europe.

Yeah. Have you ever noticed that Mediterranean (the sea) literally translates to "Middle Earth." I think, if we got mythology, we could do the myths that LotR was based on, like Celtic myths. I find those kinds of myths (Norse, Celtic, Barbarian, etc.) to have some serious potential for epicness, although Native American trumps all, in my mind.

EDIT: And, ~Void~, I pick Native American for the culture. If I have to be more specific than that, I'd say something mezo/south-american because they have the most rich mythology.

Last edited:
Level 9
Yeah. Have you ever noticed that Mediterranean (the sea) literally translates to "Middle Earth."

Wow really? Awesome! I like Japanese myths and history but it's so overused, maybe Chinese myths/history would work.

Ancient American myths/history is really interesting but what about ancient South African myths/history? (raincallers and shamans and the like)

As for an actual choice... I'd say South African, and if people don't like that, a second of Chinese.

Level 12
Inca and maya are SO different, you wouldn't believe me if I told you!

Very true. The Maya lived in the jungles of mesoamerica, and developed lifestyle, mythology, architecture, etc. to suit this environment. The Inca lived in the mountains of South America and built huge cities atop their peaks, and this is just the start of it. Technically, I'm still just voting for choosing any Native American culture you want, because I also think something like a "plains indians" terrain would look cool.

If I made a LotR terrain, it would probably be Mordor.

Level 9
Despite my opposition to the LotR theme I do have an amazing idea for a LotR theme. So are we decided on Ancient America?

EDIT: OMG the Inca were crazy! their architecture looks like they are like the ancient-race-that-had-super-good-technology from all of those video games
see!
Vista_de_Machu_Picchu.jpg

MachuPicchuExhibit3-10.jpg

Level 18
im down with LOTr.

but if we do mythology, id have to agree with XEREX. Retstricting it to 1 culture would be so boring.
People should do which ever clture they think they would do the best in, becuase ill tell you know, im BAD at jungle terrain >.> Im better at serene hills and shit.

Level 36
Well we need to constrain the theme a little then, maybe ancient temples, ancient religious places, or even something more global than that. How about design a terrain of one of the various "heavens" from an ancient culture? Or a hell? But most of the hells are the same... so I say heavens.

Void, stop being so restricting on the ancient culture, and stop trying to get things exactly how you like them, the contest isn't about "let's do a theme we pwn at" after all. Ancient culture would most likely end up with Greek, Roman, Norse anyway. And it's a great theme to perceive in different manners, I could make a bunch of shacks in the snow and call them a Norse village. (Which would actually suit)

Level 18
i think what is gonna matter here is not the theme.

Its gonna be how creative you are with the theme, and how you place your doodads and what not ( execution )

If its too restricting, people wont get a chance to get creative.

I think mythology in general is restriction enough... As long as we dont see any WENDIGO's or SPACE STATIONS in the terrains..than i think well be fine xD

Level 36
What's the point of the poll then?

Seriously, shouldn't the hoster of the contes host it for the people in hive instead of themself?

Well let's just think about it this way. The poll is so you can suggest themes, and I will base my decision off the views of the community, but I'm putting a restriction on it. That restriction is that I don't want to host a contest with a theme that I, personally, do not like.

It's a compromise, so let me say what I want, and then you can tell me what you want. I want an ancient mythology theme that is refined to one culture. So now you can tell me which culture you want for the theme. Fair enough?

Level 36
I think we've pretty much ruled that out already, anyways. I'm just going to throw this idea out there, and see if you all like it. How about to recreate one of the "heavens" of an ancient culture, for example Valhalla or Mount Olympus? But you could choose which culture you want to do. The theme would basically be Heavens, but you would need to actually pick one that existed in mythology.

Level 18
ummm one problem in the culture thing.

what if someone doesn't know, or mis interprets what the culture is.

I though Valhala was the land of elves...not necisarily a heaven, but a place unreachable by men.

Ive always imagined it as a plain of infinte trees and grass....

Level 12
Well, if Aztec's out, my pick for culture would be Mid-West North American cultures, or Celtic/Barbarian culture. If, however, we are now doing things like heaven of a culture, I'm going for the underworld of each culture, or, to put it in a better light, the land of the dead of each culture. This would be kind of like the idea for heaven of a culture, but I think that was more like dwelling-places of the gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.