• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #8 Theme - Poll

Why is this here? Useless.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I don't even understand what the fuck steampunk is. o.Ó
Is it like... old industrial technology but much more advanced or something?

My personal definition: how would this century look like if they never discovered electricity and would have further developed steam technology. A big influence is also the victorian way of life. Typical electrical components such as a transistor would be mimicked by *large* (compared to transistors) gears and such. The industrial era, but with many of today's technologies reinvented.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid452319854?bctid=1135486277
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/10/steampunk-art-update.html

Some worlds can feature fantasy elements too, such as elfs or dwarfs. Or dragons. But usually reinvented, such as a mechanical steam dragon.

Level 19
I also like the steampunk idea alot but it makes me afraid of something.
I feel heavy siege engine, flying machine or tinkerspam incomming and I don't like it! I would personally try to avoid those models if I would create a steampunk terrain (or is building, factory or construction a better word?:p) but I'm afraid most of the ppl wont.

Level 19
Destructor [DoR];1272392 said:
There are not many models in the Editor that can fit with steampunkt and without the UTM it would be a tinker spam XD

Some model pack for the contest could solve that problem.

Already preparing myself for steampunk because got the feeling it will win. Checking wc3c.net and hive model sections for interesting things. Not that much but still a few things could be used!
I like the challenge:)

Level 14
I remember that I found a model pack with a bunch off cogs and wheels on Wc3c I wonder if you can still find them there

Level 19
funny..
wonders vs steampunk are bitching at eachother while heaven vs hell is sneaking away with the trophy.

Level 34
Since I leave on the 26th, and won't have time on the 25th to set this up, I'm closing this tomorrow.

Level 13
ya if som1 wants 2 go make 1 then it will be easyer but with steampunk your gonna have 2 be vary imaginative 2 make it steampunk.

Level 19
This doesn't mean anything. Most people who vote aren't terrainers, period.

Still, there are no steapunk doodads or anything that looks even remotely steampunk and basing a whole contest around it is stupid.

I had a few idea's already on what to make. I had an idea already about Dinosaur steampunk you see. Once read a book where people lived with dinosaurs and used steampunkish machines in combination with the dinosaurs to build impressive buildings or armies. With triceratopses with huts on their back with cannons stationed in it and diplodocusses with steampressure rams on their backs.

Ofc you could steal this idea but I think nobody would feel proud of it anyway. Don't care if you steal but if it becomes steampunk I'm going to use alot of Olofmolemans models (if you know what I'm talking about.)

Just be creative and the doodads shold be fine

HFR

HFR

Level 22
This doesn't mean anything. Most people who vote aren't terrainers, period.

Still, there are no steapunk doodads or anything that looks even remotely steampunk and basing a whole contest around it is stupid.

That's why I said that.

Non-terrainer = "I don't know what models the UTM has".

Basically, they vote on something because they think that:

1. The theme is cool.
2. There are cool models to use.

But, as you already said, there aren't any steampunk doodads.

Destructor [DoR];1278279 said:

Only UTM can be used, not imported models >.>

I would say, saying there isnt any models for the job is simply ignorance and laziness. I hope steampunk wins and I am MORE than prepeared to experiement with doodads to make an awesome terrain.

Raid10011001010 will probably make some kick ass terrain like always T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.