• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Next terrain contest...

What is your favourite theme?

• Dark/Evil

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Mysterious

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Atlantis

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Historical

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Blue

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • River Styx (Underworld)

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Molten Core

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
-Mount Olympus - Huge mountain with big people on it? Eh, it's alright..
-Molten Core - Explain plox?
-The World Tree - World tree doodad ftw?
-River Styx (or just the underworld) - Well, that's better..
-Atlantis - but MadseN already made it - people would just strive to copy
-Mysterious (maybe too broad...) - yes, too broad - but Mysterious (thing) would work
-Illusion - aren't illusions meant to look real? It wouldn't really be an illusion
-Historical - that's a good one..
-Space/Sci-Fi - D: Nowai. Sci-Fi isn't cool on WC3 : |
-Recreate a scene/location from another video game, providing a picture that you based it off of - I tried to make a contest out of that, everyone complained, saying it was too closed etc. I think its a good idea.
-Heaven/Hell - well, now that'd be interesting... but it'd be a bit like "peace... FIRE FIRE"

Gilles wants blue theme, it's okay with me.

I say Heaven/Hell

Level 34
Yeah! Screw baby Jesus!
Hey, Anymore Jesus bashing and I will make it the theme. You've been warned.

I vote blue. I'll get it yet.

Edit: Anonymous? How am I supposed to lower the score of the people that voted against me now?

Level 34
The flaw in your threat is that if you did make that the theme, no one would participate. :grin:
That's why it's a threat, it's a crappy contest.

By blue, I mean as long as your terrain conveys blue. You could spell it for all I care, just make sure I think blue when I look at it. I know it's a rough theme, but I think it could work.

Level 34
Sounds good. Although some are the same, like atlantis and mysterious.

Although I'm not sure why Atlantis is there, I won't allow it to be hosted. Wasted votes. :p

Level 36
Hey I've got a theme... this may or may not work depending on how creative people are.

Rock formations.

Anyways, this is <NOT> golems. Just interesting rock formations like the stuff you see in nova scotia or the badlands.

Saharan%20rock%20formation-740814.JPG

2439544-Rock-Formation-on-Budva-Beach-1.jpg

Level 34
Blue stands for a lot more than just a color, it gives more freedom and has never been done before in an official contest. And if you have a better suggestion, go ahead and say it, else gtfo.
The gtfo could have been omitted. Please end the sentence at "go ahead" next time. This is a warning.

You know, I'm so gonna laugh my ass off the day someone posts a totally green image cause he's colourblind :p

And blue is not only unoriginal (like all other themes), it's just plain lame. I mean, it's not even a theme, it's a colour.
What defines a theme?
If it's unoriginal like all other themes, then I don't see how I can pick a better one. If you're referring to all the past themes we had, I totally disagree with you, and ask you (like Volvox) to suggest a better and "original" theme. Stun me.

Level 21
What defines a theme?
If it's unoriginal like all other themes, then I don't see how I can pick a better one. If you're referring to all the past themes we had,
I'm referring to this:
Blue may have a large sphere,but isn't it a bit lacking originality?
There is no more originality in terraining since almost everything has been done
Like I have said in my post, "all" themes seem to lack originality apparently. That's why I said that appart from being unoriginal (like all other themes?) blue is also simply lame. Why? Because it's a fracking colour.

In the visual arts, a theme is a broad idea or a message conveyed by work done in a visual experience, such as a performance, a painting, or a motion picture. This message is usually about life, society or human nature. Themes are the fundamental and often universal ideas explored in a work. Themes are usually implied rather than explicitly stated.
I fail to see how blue is in ANY way a theme. Oh, maybe if you make some free associations and think of "blue" as in "water" or "intelligence" or "healing" or whatever, but only THEN do we have a theme, a theme called "water" or "intelligence", but not a *theme* called "blue".

As a sidenote to that, since it's not a theme and in fact is the source of many possible themes, it's simply too "undefined". Originality is only encouraged there where you have restrictions, not where you can do anything you want as long as you put some blue filter on it.

I totally disagree with you, and ask you (like Volvox) to suggest a better and "original" theme. Stun me.
Eh... Why do you think I'm going to give an original theme when I myself have just said there ARE no original themes anymore since it's all been done? I mean, did you even read what I said?
On top of that, why do I even need to suggest a better theme anyway? Can't I simply be critical towards a *theme*? I mean, there are enough options in the poll already and never said anything about the other options, I'm just saying that blue is by far the most horrible option out there. If I can't say that,

Level 36
If I may interject... well I don't really think "Mysterious" alone has enough substance to be a full theme. And since most of the themes for the past contests have not really been themes... well this time we need to think a little more carefully about it.

First of all, looking back at the last contest, "no imports construction" is not a theme. It's half a theme, but not a full theme. The one before it, mountains, had a half a theme as well. In fact, the one we did first, gloomy, had half a theme as well.

A theme has a mood and a method, not one or the other. To me, Mysterious and Blue are both moods. It needs a method. Just as an example, Mysterious Forest would be a full theme (not like I actually want to do that; forest is overused). We need a method.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
But you have to be careful when going with a "mood" and a "method", since you're running into danger of restricting the diversity too much. Nothing's worse than having a dozen similar entries at the end.

Level 21
The "method" shouldn't be part of the "theme". You can add a certain method (no imports) as a condition for a contest, but it doesn't define a theme.

The "mood" shouldn't be part of the "theme" either. Admittedly, a theme like "gloomy" will probably result in 95% "dark" mooded pictures, but something like "Creation of the universe", which is a perfect theme, can still have different moods. And that's, IMO, what terraining contests are about: creating different moods and interesting combinations on one theme. That's what makes terraining contests interesting: different people creating totally different terrains on a very strict theme. It's mainly for that reason that I don't consider "blue" a theme.

A terraining contest should, IMO, have:
- A theme
- A method

The mood and the exact things you'll be showing should be up to the terrainer.

If I have to suggest some themes, here are some:
- The creation of the universe
- The end of the world (again, many people will think of apocalyptical stuff, but the mood is entirely up to you and the theme doesn't define the mood for you)
- Parallel worlds
- Immortality, timeless space
- Alternate history
- History kept secret
- War
- Birth
- First Contact
- The new world
- Religion
- Colonization (I'd love to see the huge differences in colonies you could create with warcraft models. Maybe a whole zeppelin fleet colonizing a mysterious air shard, maybe something Christophel Columbus like, etc.)
- Arcologies
- Cyberpunk technology in fantasy

With something like birth you can do a lot: birth of a child? Birth of an alliance, birth of a world, ...?
With something like blue, I'm totally clueless about the theme behind the word "blue".

It's making up something interesting that hasn't been done before out of a "cliche" theme like "The end of the world" that makes stuff interesting. The end of the world, it can be anything: Some "sorceress godess" turning a planet in the universe to a sheep, an apocalypse, maybe terraining those few minutes where a huge "black hole" opening a gateway to hell opens that sucks all evil inside while The heavens and the paradise is being created on earth, I don't know!

Level 36
It's all semantics. I guess I used the wrong words.

What I meant was, you have a practical condition like no imports or construction or mountains, something physical that has to be there.

Then you have a... mood... not really a mood but you know what I mean; something like Blue or Mysterious or Scary.

Level 21
It's all semantics. I guess I used the wrong words.

What I meant was, you have a practical condition like no imports or construction or mountains, something physical that has to be there.

Then you have a... mood... not really a mood but you know what I mean; something like Blue or Mysterious or Scary.

I still don't see the "mood" in "blue", but anyway, I think that most of the times, you should receive a theme and from there make a terrain with a mood you create yourself. The contest should be like "make a terrain based on this theme and express certain feelings or mood", and it shouldn't be like "make a terrain and everyone should express this mood". Ok, you can have "scary" terrains as a theme, but overall I'd rather have "mood" be a variable, not a constant in contests.

Level 28
Gilles once said in the Terrain Contest #2 what "blue theme" stands for, but I'm to lazy to look for that post.

But with the theme "Blue", you can do anything, a cave with water and a blue atmosphere, a night terrain, a cold and snowy landscape, a depressive terrain...

Status
Not open for further replies.