• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New WC3 exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
They are really gonna fix it normaly, becauce:
1. No mapmaking - no fun. Some play it just becauce of mapmaking.
2. No open source warcraft - its their trademark.
3. No multiplayer - no fun too... right?

P.S. And if someone will decide to change whole warcraft, please add teraforming ^^

Level 17
Who was the person that pointed this out to the public in the first place? Why bring attention to it and not just keep it to yourself and report it to blizzard?

No one would have even noticed, and no one would figure out this exploit in the first place (Assuming of course, it isn't a person with the intention of hurting the community that discovered it in the first place.)

Level 23
Hm... a friend of mine said his friend (lol) got the virus map once. When he tried to run it in single player wc3 crashed, msn logged off, loggen in and added a strange line on the top of the window. The virus map also seemed to have poofed, and from what I heard next, he wasn't able to play Dota since after that.

I don't believe in it yet, but an anti-dota virus is always nice^^

Level 13
Omg you are right. They can encrypt the virus on an protected map and have it executed in game, if someone need to do damage, they sure can.

blizz should just ban all protected maps from bnet. yeehaw! but that would be a lot of work cuz then they'd need something to officialize the versions to keep from dealing with 1000 versions of LT/DOTA

Who was the person that pointed this out to the public in the first place? Why bring attention to it and not just keep it to yourself and report it to blizzard?

No one would have even noticed, and no one would figure out this exploit in the first place (Assuming of course, it isn't a person with the intention of hurting the community that discovered it in the first place.)

excellent point, i get the feeling that knowing this makes someone less want to play warcraft and more want to just wait for sc2. unfortunately for someone like most of the people at this kind of site we would want to continue working with wc3 for the time being....and have the community be strong for wc3 until sc2 arrives there's no need to weaken the community...especially it's more important for rookie map-makers such as myself.

for me i only almost have one good map done and one good map just started on and 3 or 4 lousy older maps. for someone like me, it's understandable to want sc2 to come out, but feeling the wc3 community fall apart before sc2 comes kinda sucks...

Level 9
I wonder why the guy(s) that made this script have posted it on internet, instead of using it without anyone knowing it.

if you want to see the "hack" on work, download and run the map.
A cmd-like terminal pops up, demonstraiting the map "Abilities". (That's way it should be runed in windowed mode)

Level 8
Some say that there were a small group of Russians, who knew about this and kept it secret long time before it became public....

Some say it was a conspiracy...
Some say they were behind abductions, implants and all that UFO shit..

Some say that when the truth came out, they attacked DotA with that faked virus map...

Some say..

edit. And it was all lies.

edit3. Guess what? It was all real!

edit4. But what happened to edit2 ?

edit5. I feel like spamming..

Level 3
lol so its possible why don't check the ip of the downloaded map where is has been uploaded and send a viruss back ???

i mean it would atleast stop a few viruss map makers things

Level 4
Im curious, who made this virus idea and put it in maps

Edit: Well i read the 8th page.i feel sorta dumb now :O

virusing a virusor is no solution, but rather hacking their system to remove any data/cdkeys/pws they may have collected, and/or delivering them to the authoritys. out of curiosity has anyone actually found a map using this exploit, besides the example? or more particularly one with viral scripts?

the thing about finding the IP of the uploader... is proxies can easily mask it... maybe if the map itself found the ip on save in editor.. although that would be fairly easy to counter also, by removing the IP data from the map via 3rd party apps. they could require a copy of a map to be sent to a blizzard server for a virus scan, before it may be hosted, this would have to be done for each version, then the game would compare a hosted map to the database, se if theres an exact match (filesize, and other stuff) and that it was concidered safe

Level 18
Great... i downloaded a map now evry time i wana play custom game i get a error and wc3 shuts down and now evry time i reinstall wc3 i get a error and stops the install. or when it works and i wana patch it to the currently patch i get a error 2. if somone knows this problem or know how to help me plz do i hate this :(

Level 10
Blizzard dont focus much on Warcraft 3 anymore, thats why security is low...
Ohh and no wonder when i donwload some maps AVG auto-delete them, cause they have that virus...

And no you cant check IP where map is downloaded in BNet but you may check IP from example users what posted their maps on some site...

All main thing to avoid such viruses: NEVER turn off your security systems, update em always, dont download hacks or any 3rd party programs unless you 100% know they are virus free...

If you have virus and dont know way to get rid of it, either ask suggestions for proffesionals or call em, cause if you do something against virus that you dont know how to get rid of it, you will just screw your system even more.

About DotA: I personally dont care , I play it sometimes and sometimes not, Its very popular cause blizzard supported it AND they supported it cause they can profit from it...

Level 21
Blizzard dont focus much on Warcraft 3 anymore, thats why security is low...
This exploit was possible as soon as jass was available, back in the days that blizzard certainly still cared about <acronym title="Warcraft 3"><acronym title="Warcraft 3">wc3</acronym></acronym>. It was only discovered recently. I mean, really, it's not because it's an "old" game that blizzard decides to ADD security holes... They were there already and the fact they haven't been removed yet is simply because blizzard probably didn't know about it either.
Ohh and no wonder when i donwload some maps AVG auto-delete them, cause they have that virus...
I highly doubt that. Until you run the map, no antivirus will recognise virusses in maps... If they do, it's probably a false report.

And no you cant check IP where map is downloaded in BNet but you may check IP from example users what posted their maps on some site...
Nobody's going to post virus maps on sites that need approval of resources... Besides, most people have dynamic ip's and if you're really worried, you can always hide behind proxies.

EDIT: and for some reason it adds <acronym> tags automatically that don't get parsed... Hurray bugz.

Level 15
If you have Spybot S&D's TeaTimer Add-on then your good.

Tea Timer asks about every single change of any file on any drive or folder (if in Paranoid mode)

Yes, I am in paranoid mode, yes I am getting warnings about this sites cookies right now.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
He ment find out the IP of the person who uploaded it to a site like EpicWar and then counterattack with a virus

You sir, are a retard.

P.S shouldn't the Hive do what Madagascar is doing?

X4jaqo.jpg.gif

Level 19
Rules said:
The posting of racist, nazi, hateful, threatening, discriminatory, sexist, sexually-orientated, obscene, vulgar, or otherwise offensive material is expressly forbidden. Violators will be punished most severely.
Rules said:
Users should maintain the integrity of thread topics and post in any thread only to reply to its subject. Posters may not go off-topic in any thread without a valid reason. If a user finds it necessary to post in a thread while not responding closely to the topic itself they should either:

1. Quote a relevant portion of an existing post in that thread and reply based upon the quote.
2. Preface their post with an indication that the post varies from the thread topic, examples: [OFF TOPIC] *off-topic* (Off Topic)

Users that consistently vary from thread subjects by posting off-topic replies may be warned or receive negative reputation penalties.

Moderators may delete off-topic posts at any time, without warning.

Now, where are the moderators again?

Level 8
Battle.net maps are perfectly safe, as long as you play them online. It's a fake patch that applies every time you join Battle.net. You can still get a virus playing random maps in single player, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.