• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Warcraft III security exploit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It need not target the startup folder, other folders like commonly used programs can be equally good.

Overwrite your skype or steam libaries with hacked ones (with viruses and bad stuff) and next time you run those (usually on boot) they will have full control of your system.

Level 3
well, yea, that's another solution...but for those of us not done with the game yet, a mac would prevent the viruses from even being a factor. (you can't deny that)

Level 21
well, yea, that's another solution...but for those of us not done with the game yet, a mac would prevent the viruses from even being a factor. (you can't deny that)

Well it's not Microsoft's fault that there are viruses.
There are viruses for Mac and Linux too, only less common. Plus, Mac and Linux virusers are totally brain morons so they only care about stealing your personal data, so you won't notice. Wonder how I know? My Ubuntu Software Center is virused! Every time I open it, it sends my Remote Assistance data to an IP. I've got it from a "linux games" website.

Plus my dear friend, this exploit can be easily used on Mac and Linux too.
Linux is first because it runs Wine, which acts like a Windows.
Mac can also execute scripts so it's vulnerable too.

Level 3
Well it's not Microsoft's fault that there are viruses.
There are viruses for Mac and Linux too, only less common. Plus, Mac and Linux virusers are totally brain morons so they only care about stealing your personal data, so you won't notice. Wonder how I know? My Ubuntu Software Center is virused! Every time I open it, it sends my Remote Assistance data to an IP. I've got it from a "linux games" website.

Plus my dear friend, this exploit can be easily used on Mac and Linux too.
Linux is first because it runs Wine, which acts like a Windows.
Mac can also execute scripts so it's vulnerable too.

Everything you say is true! But my reasoning is that MOST people use PCs, so the viruses that will be in the maps will most likely be PC viruses. It just seems like a simple way to protect yourself...until there are more duchebags who decide to make mac viruses that is.

Level 22
Very very bad idea, though maybe that any good coder would create a file to target Windows, another Linux and yet another for MAC. You need to realise as soon as there will be few viruses, you will find the source code everywhere. So in short, if it will start then there will not be a limit of the OS.

Level 3
((ok, it just sounds like you have some sort of animosity towards macs))

Yea, a person COULD add in all three, but who really takes the time to do that? 80% of the internet is on Windows...it would just be a waste of time for them.

Level 15

Yea, a person COULD add in all three, but who really takes the time to do that? 80% of the internet is on Windows...it would just be a waste of time for them.

Apparently, a significant amount of people play Warcraft III battle.net that they have to patch it for Mac and Linux. Why wouldn't people put viruses?

Also, it's not that hard to copy/paste a script...

You're the one who is mac biased, you can't even defend your own OS properly and yet you still do it. Then you throw Linux under the bus too when it's completely different and 100% superior to mac.

Level 3
The only bias I have towards my mac is that I don't get debilitating viruses as opposed to all of you with windows and it's better for my main use...which is graphic design. All other aspects of being a mac user really do suck because there are just too many of you windows users.

And they don't really keep it up for Mac/linux...hence the editor problems and random game crashes. Yea, i don't know as much as the rest of you on computer details...that's not my life. All i know is that my 6-year-old G5 works just as good as it did when i first got it...as opposed to my parent's 8-year-old PC that has had to be revitalized a bunch of times by my best-friend (who actually knows this stuff).

The prevalence of windows has made it weak, and I don't have the patience to learn how to maintain it...so it is trash to me now.

Level 22

You have lost, why?

You suggest us to use MAC to play the game, wouldn't the amount of MACs rise high then?

Anyway this is starting to become a war, so I am leaving the fight.

Level 3
Yea, the amount of Macs would rise...I knew that was a flaw in the argument, (its like killing Wall Mart and creating something else in its place). Yet, it IS a viable temporary solution...even with all the what if's.

Still, I'm not going to worry about contracting a virus from this game

Level 21
It's 88% not 80%...

Plus, Macs are damn expensive and useless so no sane man on this world would give up Windows for Mac.
Underline "sane".
Linux is worth giving a shot if you're not interested in gaming. But if you are, with a REALLY DAMN GOOD PC you might play newer games on it, with the help of Wine.

Level 22
It's 88% not 80%...

Plus, Macs are damn expensive and useless so no sane man on this world would give up Windows for Mac.
Underline "sane".
Linux is worth giving a shot if you're not interested in gaming. But if you are, with a REALLY DAMN GOOD PC you might play newer games on it, with the help of Wine.

This, I don't even see a good point about MACs anyway.

Level 3
I was just estimating on the amount...at least I gave a logical number

Macs ARE good for artistic stuff, (video,audio, image editing). Its what my graphics professors recommended...and it's served me well. World Editor actually works fine...and they say it should have problems on Mac OS, I just can't use that fancy stuff you guys can.

The dominance of PCs is just because they're cheep. My first comp was a PC and I built it w/ my friend for like $270...but i have little patience to learn how to keep it running. I've done so little to my mac in terms of upkeep. It's not a bad machine...

Level 3
No. I never did that while I was younger and using my parent's computer, (cuz the one I built didnt last long so i sold it back to my friend for his half of it). I was the kid in high school still buying CDs and DVDs.

But that friend that I mentioned earlier, the one who knows what he's doing with all this computer stuff...he didn't always know as much as he thought he did and got me in trouble quite a few times with my parents. The things that went wrong were always the kind of thing that happened if you didn't know exactly what you were doing...like accidentally uninstalling the modem driver from a pre-packaged computer and the start-up wants you to insert a disc that never came with it.

Not to mention all the viruses and spy-ware that have since infected their computer WAAAAAAY after I stopped using it. I don't know what they do with that thing...but it probably isn't much more than check their email, shop on amazon, find a recipe, and check the sports scores. And yet he's always telling me how he has to keep sending it away to some guy he works with to fix it. So stop with the snide comments and just accept that my point of view has some merit and logic to it.

If my computer had been in my parents' hands...I would be surprised if they ever needed another one in their lives.

Last edited:
Level 6
Hopefully this is on-topic if not please someone say something.

"[Patch] 1.25 for Warcraft OF III TFT will be already soon accessible for the running off.
Thus far estimate changes can only the owners of the English version of game, on the only server Of battle.Net - Westfall (ClassicBeta).
However, the list of changes is already known.
It includes correctings of balance and closing some known holes in the game - nothing fundamentally new, as one would expect.
It is worthwhile to note that about opened by our users preload of exploit and its consequence thus far nothing not audibly."

Just giving a heads up hopefully to whoever uses the preload bug.

Level 8
Hopefully this is on-topic if not please someone say something.

"[Patch] 1.25 for Warcraft OF III TFT will be already soon accessible for the running off.
Thus far estimate changes can only the owners of the English version of game, on the only server Of battle.Net - Westfall (ClassicBeta).
However, the list of changes is already known.
It includes correctings of balance and closing some known holes in the game - nothing fundamentally new, as one would expect.
It is worthwhile to note that about opened by our users preload of exploit and its consequence thus far nothing not audibly."

Just giving a heads up hopefully to whoever uses the preload bug.

fuuuuuu_Comics_Gifs_Verticals_Etc-s498x387-93636-580.jpg

Level 4
Will 1.25 remedy this situation?

Patch 1.25 effectively defeats this exploit >>

Are you sure?

I saw nothing directly related to it in the beta patch notes - i'm trying to get confirmation that the exploit will be fixed with the patch.

Only patch note i saw that i thought *might* address it was the thing about Wc3 writing its registry files on application startup or something, but that was kinda cryptic, at least to me.

I have an urge to play some Wc3, but having read about the exploit, i've been too terrified to do so. :(

Level 8
Are you sure?

I saw nothing directly related to it in the beta patch notes - i'm trying to get confirmation that the exploit will be fixed with the patch.

Only patch note i saw that i thought *might* address it was the thing about Wc3 writing its registry files on application startup or something, but that was kinda cryptic, at least to me.

I have an urge to play some Wc3, but having read about the exploit, i've been too terrified to do so. :(

Just clean your darn Startup folders before shutting down your computer.

Level 4
It doesn't *have* to be Startup Folder afaik...

Perhaps i misinterpreted what i read on the link DrSuperGood provided with specifics on this exploit...... but my understanding was you could *choose* the destination [[Edit - clarity] to which the exploiting JASS code downloaded stuff]....

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/sho...o-virus-in-Warcraft-III?p=1307753#post1307753

"People should stop suggesting using variables like %USERNAME% or something, the fact I've found is WC3 will only save to a literal path, so for my exact trick to work, there must be an exact, literal path where the OS will look and run things from on start. This means either the Startup folder in the start menu for Windows XP, or something like C:\autoexec.bat (which would be a brutal example if you use it, so I didn't). The operating system should be irrelevant, as long as there is somewhere to write to that gets run on startup.. "

Alternatively, it sounds like it's possible to just make it [[Edit - clarity] (the exploiting JASS code)] download large, "junk" files to any literal path, to waste space......

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/sho...o-virus-in-Warcraft-III?p=1301315#post1301315

"Wow, another exploit? Blizzard's not going to be impressed.

> Hmm, what happen if I link it to a super large file(Takes ages to download)? Lol.
It'd download. Eventually. As expected. "

[[Edit - clarity] Regardless of the specifics of the exploit, my question remains unanswered - will it be remedied in 1.25?]

Last edited:
Level 8
Perhaps i misinterpreted what i read on the link DrSuperGood provided with specifics on this exploit...... but my understanding was you could *choose* the destination [[Edit - clarity] to which the exploiting JASS code downloaded stuff]....

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/sho...o-virus-in-Warcraft-III?p=1307753#post1307753

"People should stop suggesting using variables like %USERNAME% or something, the fact I've found is WC3 will only save to a literal path, so for my exact trick to work, there must be an exact, literal path where the OS will look and run things from on start. This means either the Startup folder in the start menu for Windows XP, or something like C:\autoexec.bat (which would be a brutal example if you use it, so I didn't). The operating system should be irrelevant, as long as there is somewhere to write to that gets run on startup.. "

Alternatively, it sounds like it's possible to just make it [[Edit - clarity] (the exploiting JASS code)] download large, "junk" files to any literal path, to waste space......

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/sho...o-virus-in-Warcraft-III?p=1301315#post1301315

"Wow, another exploit? Blizzard's not going to be impressed.

> Hmm, what happen if I link it to a super large file(Takes ages to download)? Lol.
It'd download. Eventually. As expected. "

[[Edit - clarity] Regardless of the specifics of the exploit, my question remains unanswered - will it be remedied in 1.25?]

Look. If the map creates a file outside the Startup directory... it won't run. Ever. If it doesn't run, how the hell can it download a file or anything. And why would it be downloading the file in the first place if it can just do File I/O and use an infinite loop to flood your desktop or whatever. As I said, just check your Startup folders (ALL OF THEM) and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.