1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

New Suggersted Spell Moderator

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by tjordell, Jul 17, 2011.

1. HINDYhat

HINDYhat

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you can assemble 15-25 or 30-45 people who are skilled, able and willing to moderate the spell section, I'll name my first son Nestharus.

2. mckill2009

mckill2009

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    its better to have 2 or 3 'active' moderators than 15-35 'non-active' or 'semi-active' ones...

3. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You're totally on >: P

Here's the start of my list prospectives list
    Code (Text):

Magtheridon96
    busterkomo
    BBQ
    Troll-Brain
    D4RK_G4ND4LF
    WaterKnight
    Tank-Commander
    Rmx
    Tiche3
    Justify
    iAyanami
    Garfield1337
    Beef_Is_Back
    mckill2009
    baassee
    Axarion
    -Derp-
    kingking
    BlackRose

-------

More to be added =)

Shooting for 40 prospectives as I'm hoping at least 50% will go for it = )

Besides some of the people mentioned on this thread, these are the people I think are good enough to be mods. They may not be perfect, but they're good enough =).

edit
    Actually, I think BBQ is quite good =). He seems to know his stuff.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You have NO idea how correct you are...

@Nestharus, you're insane. You have NO IDEA what kind of chaos will having ~30 moderators bring. The rating system will go completely off-scale since every single one of them will have their own vision of what's a "good" spell and what's a "bad" spell, making the rating of a spell depend entirely on what kind of moderator is moderating it. Many moderators will probably assume 'the rest are doing the work', so there's 'no need to bother with moderating'. At least half of them will not be available at all times. The quality of the moderator reviews and the moderators themselves will differ SIGNIFICANTLY. Not all of them will be just as skilled as the rest. Many of them will probably suck big time at their job, but on one will care because 'there's enough good people to cover up for the bad people'. And there's many, MANY other reasons why this idea won't work: For example, I doubt we even HAVE ~30 people who are good at reviewing(proper grammar and whatnot) AND at making spells, not to mention being good in every single field(JASS, vJass, GUI, ZINC, etc).

5. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I don't need people good at every field. I think the site needs a combo of people good with GUI and a combo of people good with JASS, vJASS, and Zinc.

As for the numbers of moderators, I addressed that issue (well, the reviewing portion).

Also, I think a good system is to make it so that moderators who aren't that great should get a second opinion from someone experienced until they themselves get better. Everyone will get better over time. Furthermore, the person who wrote the submission and other members in the community can help.

Also, the majority of people in that list are very experienced.

6. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  7. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There used to be mini-moderators to review spell resources and I think
    that would be the best idea. That way there is "official" input but still
    keep the number of moderators with "approve" power low. Mini-mods
    could rate resources and also recommend whether they need fix, should
    be approved or should be rejected.

8. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well, I think all but 5 are exceptional. Also, I think that those 5, over a period of time, will become exceptional themselves.

9. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Bribe's idea is good, too. Instead of a bunch of moderators that might conflict with eachother in various terms(quality, etc), mini-mods can be introduced; Having the power to review spells, as well as having some decision on whether or not a resource should be approved(suggesting it to the mods).

10. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The idea here is to spread out the work so moderators only need to review one new submission every 2-3 days =P. The idea of only a couple of moderators just seems to be way too much work. I know that between Bribe's moderating, his job, and his wife, he has almost no time. I think he modded for like 8 hours avg every day for a while : \. Maker appears to be helping tons and modding tons as well....

It's just too much work >.<

Old resources need to be looked over eventually as well to make sure that everything is up to snuff. Resources should really be reviewed once a year in order to ensure that they are kept up to the standards.

11. Troll-Brain

Troll-Brain

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Ok, since i was mentionned by Nestharus i would like to answer it.
    I hardly see how i could be a spell moderator, since i've never submitted myself any spell.
    That would be weird ...

Nor a jass moderator, since i would reject each Nestharus' resource, because of the horrible naming convention.

In fact i think i would just be an ashole, not a good and comprehensive mod, so it's a no for me.
    And i don't think Nestharus should be a mod to, he is not enough friendly for that.

12. mckill2009

mckill2009

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I may know GUI/JASS/vJASS, but Im certainly not capable for being a moderator of spells because I am so Stubborn...intead of doing this, I do that or I do 'my way' coz as you have noticed, my spells are not based on vJASS standards in order for it to improve, also I'm too busy with my job but still have time to go online even every hour...

Lastly, my english/grammar is not good, haha...

13. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Last I checked (which, admittedly, was probably close to a year ago), his spells were either completely GUI or pseudo-JASS, so I'm now leery as to what impresses you in that regard.

How can one know a lot about GUI? By being literate?

In the past, the administration often encouraged suggestions for spell moderators specifically because none of the administrators had any moderate level of knowledge or experience in the area (except for PurplePoot).

Addressed somewhere below (see helper elves).

Which shows how active of a presence he has in the spells section.

And hasn't in eons (from what I remember).

Purge has had massive activity problems in the past, so I wouldn't recommend it.

People always seem less intelligent writing in blocks. It could just be me, though.

Contrary to popular belief, you cannot 'know' GUI without knowing JASS to some moderate level competently. Furthermore, the moderator's knowledge would not be consistent with the level of excellence we try to achieve here.

That number is not only excessive, but unrealistic. If I ever came back to moderating spells, I would want it to be an active team (say, ~4 people), and not me and some helper elves (which was the case way back when).

Which isn't much of a problem. If a moderator misses something in a review, it will either:
    A) Already be mentioned somewhere on the spell's thread by another user.
    B) Be later noticed by the author and corrected.
    C) Be found by some user later on, who then PMs the moderator and his him fix his review.

I'll even bet my rare candy on it.

14. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There's a good reason for it, especially on big screens where the text can get
    really stretched out, the eyes have to scan far from right to left a lot and this
    becomes a psychological deterrent so fewer people will read it.

In regards to the helper elves, I wouldn't mind having those back because it
    gives people the feeling of responsibility to moderate. It's more impressionable
    than simply making a normal post that shares the same rank as noobie posts
    that just say "omg awesome" or "this is the suck".

Nonetheless it's pretty wispy and in the end useless. Still, I think overall it'd be
    nice to have as a feature again. There are some resources that really require
    special attention.

15. Cihparg

Cihparg

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    The Spell Section does not necessarily need more moderators at this moment.
    It seems to me that most of the Pending resources in there, are only set to be pending
    and are reviewed by a Moderator.

I am not quite sure if only Bribe sets the status to Pending if there is something amiss
    on the resource.

There are, ofcourse, some skilled, willing and known people who could fit to be an
    moderator in the Spells section. Some listed by Nes, and some that remain a little bit
    of "underground".

Most of the reasons why people do not really review the resources properly, is because
    they are lazy. I myself only write reviews based on how bored I am at the moment,
    same goes with doing spells/systems as well~ If I am bored, I will do it. If I am not,
    I will not do it. Also motivation is one thing that people lack nowadays.

16. Maker

Maker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I always set the status to "needs fix" if there's something that needs fixing. The status will automatically reset to pending when the user modifies the spell.

17. Traxamillion

Traxamillion

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This

18. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, just at trolling and posting pointless crap.

19. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wooahh nice discussion here. (Is this necroposting? didnt check the date)

Nest is always filled with great ideas and to add to the topic, I'll definatly give my vote to Pharaoh_.

20. Bugz

Bugz

Resources:
    Maps:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    lol, you posted half a hour after the last post ...