• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Blizzard Game: Overwatch Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
It the recent BlizzCon, Blizzard officially announced their new game called Overwatch. It is a team-based shooter game, and is focused on a futuristic version on our world, and possibly this may be what Titan is, and "Titan" is a fake title and said to be cancelled for us to don't expect this one.

Here's the Game's Main Page.

Cinematic Trailer:

Gameplay Trailer:

This game looks...exciting and...cool, this don't fit my genre liking but, we'll see if this game would be nice :)

To Starcraft II fans, Legacy of the Void has been revealed and to my fellow World of Warcraft fans, WoD will be released very soon :)

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I think they made the right decision :)

Another stupid hack'em-up shooter game
what ye mean by "hack'em-up"?

cinematic was extremely childish
that was on purpose, they want to highlight that the game is family friendly, unlike some blood splatting devil slaughtering diablo.

Level 19
There was even more new things that they announced.

Of course, the new SC II expansion "Legacy Of The Void".
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/legacy-of-the-void/

A Hearthstone expansion coming: Goblins vs Gnomes.
New Heroes Of The Storm champions (Jaina & Thrall).
One new map added in Heroes of The Storm + it goes in closed beta at 13th January.

Of course more stuff has been spoken about but these are some headlines.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It is obviously the left over content from the cancelled project Titan given a form that is more viable. It is not too uncommon for content from cancelled games to be re-hashed and released in some other form.

The currently most famous example would be Final Fantasy XIII-Versus which was originally going to involve Lightning in some way for the PS3. Eventually it was prosponed so long people thought it dead. The lightning part obviously became Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns while the rest has gradually been morphed into Final Fantasy XV (The makers even admitted it).

Blizzard made all the assets for Titan and they would be very silly to dump them in the recycling bin. FPS and futuristic was exactly what Titan was aimed at.

Level 22
@jony: there were blood splatters on the video, I don't think it aims to be family friendly, could be early teen friendly though. But yeah, the theme is somewhat kiddie, with the bright colors and other stuff.

Level 34
So some new FPS gets a page worth of content yet StarCraft II's second expansion only 1 line? Seems a bit unfair if you ask me. At least post up the LotV cinematic trailer.
Hearthstone didn't get anything! We should have had a full Blizzcon news thread.

Level 23
I will say it once again, the thread is called "New Blizzard Game: Overwatch Revealed!", so why, O WHY are you discussing Hearthstone or Sc in here? Make thread presenting the new expansion for each game respectivelly with trailer videos linked or stuff

Level 13
I wonder why so many people have to be pesimistic about new releases such as this, with the reason is looks like a copy or the "poor" art.

If we adress copy, lots of games are copies or feature elements from other games, I'd even dare to state that the best games come from looking at other games, featuring elements from other games or refining something new. Warcraft defenitly was not the first RTS no, but they did make the standard/trend for modern RTS with similar RTS's like C&C and later on Age of Empires. Same goes for Starcraft, Diablo and little counts for WoW too. So i'd say blizz games are creative and are oftend innovators or trendsetters for a genre.

I've seen plenty in Overwatch that doesn't resemble TF2, apart from the fact that it is a shooter that uses roles and is objective based (which tf2 wasn't the first with either).

Graphics wise, not liking the style doesn't make for bad graphics. The in game graphics look quite impressive to me, so do the animations, level of detail and ambience in their levels.

just my two cents...

Level 15
My relatively cool reception of this has to do with one thing: Blizzard, as a developer, has simply deviated away from developing games that catch my eye.

I'm not a huge fan of competitive multiplayer, and as such, games such as HotS, SC2, and now Overwatch, fall flat with me. It's the reason I haven't touched LoL or DotA 2. The extent of my multiplayer experience is the rare dance with destruction in Battlefield. I've grown to love and appreciate Single-player affairs far more, which is ironic, given that we are living in an increasingly connected world where Multi-player seems to be the only word in a developer's vocabulary.

I was anticipating SC2 because of the potential for modding, but from what I've seen, that has pretty much fallen flat on its face. D3 is pretty much built around the loot grind, and I just don't have the time for that anymore.

As I mentioned in the other thread related to Overwatch, my time for gaming is already limited. I'm looking for new, unique experiences with which to fill my time, not slightly iterative improvements upon a genre/design I grew tired of years ago.

Level 34
It's the reason I haven't touched LoL or DotA 2.
Just throwing it out there that I only play bots on DotA 2. My friends and I play together and we enjoy just playing against AI. In fact LoL is the only multiplayer game we play together, everything else is co-op style or we play AI.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Hey, this looks pretty cool. Fancy trailer, interesting & unique classes, cool combat options... I can definitely see the similarities to TF2. Although, I actually rather like TF2, so though I don't think this can replace my love for that (mainly due to the Humor in the former), it's definitely a good & interesting shot. griping about "lack of originality", please see Hemlock's comment above.

I like the racial/world-wide representation (London, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, Egypt, India, Japan, Nepal, etc), the flashy colors, and most of all the simplicity. I like MOBAs, but simply cannot get the hang of them (nor take the time to learn how).

Gilles said:
Just throwing it out there that I only play bots on DotA 2. My friends and I play together and we enjoy just playing against AI. In fact LoL is the only multiplayer game we play together, everything else is co-op style or we play AI.
You can do that?? Huh. I always thought bots were poorly made or looked down upon or some-such thing.

Hey, this looks pretty cool. Fancy trailer, interesting & unique classes, cool combat options... I can definitely see the similarities to TF2. Although, I actually rather like TF2, so though I don't think this can replace my love for that (mainly due to the Humor in the former), it's definitely a good & interesting shot. griping about "lack of originality", please see Hemlock's comment above.

I like the racial/world-wide representation (London, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, Egypt, India, Japan, Nepal, etc), the flashy colors, and most of all the simplicity. I like MOBAs, but simply cannot get the hang of them (nor take the time to learn how).

You can do that?? Huh. I always thought bots were poorly made or looked down upon or some-such thing.

I don't like the limited character customization, can you even customize your character? Or is it just same model? I would have also liked Open-World rather than arenas.

Level 34
The Bots aren't anything amazing. They are much much better than LoL, but 5 experienced players will dominate them. We often have a couple bots on our team, and if we get bad ones (crystal maiden, looking at you) then it makes the game more of a challenge.

Also I'm not that great at DotA, so bots aren't that bad.

Level 15
The Bots aren't anything amazing. They are much much better than LoL, but 5 experienced players will dominate them. We often have a couple bots on our team, and if we get bad ones (crystal maiden, looking at you) then it makes the game more of a challenge.

Also I'm not that great at DotA, so bots aren't that bad.

Well, that's worth noting. I might have to try the bots out sometime, see what I think.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Looks interesting. As we can surely expect blizzard level of game polishing I know this will hit the FPS market like a nuclear missile. I guess this is blizzards first attempt on making a console game?

Other than that, I have mixed feeling about this. It looks like a carbon copy of Team Fortress 2. There's something in the art of blizzard games that always attracted me ... but not here. But that might also be because Shooters are not my thing.

Looks interesting. As we can surely expect blizzard level of game polishing I know this will hit the FPS market like a nuclear missile. I guess this is blizzards first attempt on making a console game?

Other than that, I have mixed feeling about this. It looks like a carbon copy of Team Fortress 2. There's something in the art of blizzard games that always attracted me ... but not here. But that might also be because Shooters are not my thing.

It's their second attempt at making an FPS (Starcraft Ghost was the first) and actualy blizzard was a console game developer on it's roots with games like Lost Vikings, Rock & Roll Racing and Blackthorne.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

it's not for console...

consoles are bad for gaming imo. but they're great dvd players :)

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

they said they'll focus to bring the game for pc

but they haven't counted the console out :)

It's so great to see strong independent women in a video game for once, but I am disgusted at Blizzard for adhering to the female beauty standarts and heteronormativity. Where are the curvy transgender women? Where are PoC lesbians?

I wish Blizzard would realise that it's not the 60's anymore and cater to the needs of the now-majority of gamers - females, who need positive role models who don't reinforce ableism and slut shaming and are encouraging body positivity.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Aren't you overreacting a little bit on this? The art style of this game is fundamentally based on the typical comic superhero cartoon style. I don't see anything overly sexist in that. In fact, the armors they have chosen are not as slutty as you see them in most other online games (no chainmail bikini or boob windows). There's only very few naked skin and some of the armors are pretty functional based on their abilities. Also, the kind of main character of this game is rather tomboy-ish.

And really; I don't know a lot of women that are as offended as most feminists by slightly sexualized depictions. My girlfriend for example is probably more sexist when it comes to women as me, telling me how hot she finds the actress XYZ in movie ABC and how she wants to stow her with cotton and put her in a tube (that's actually kind of creepy) whenever we watch a movie. Not every woman is offended by such art style.

Level 24
Out from Overwatch, comes conversations of SC2 and HotS, then to some copy of multiplayers and then to women and misogynysts, so this is how conversation goes :eek:

The only reason why some women, including your girlfriend, are not offended by this kind of demonstration of sexist male gaze-influenced design is because they have internalised misogyny. This sexist design is meant to profit from disgusting men who see women as objects, while the payment is tears and blood of women who, uh, do not adhere to your perfect female body standarts?

Next time you buy a game with attractive skinny women, think about all the girls who suffer from depression and try to commit suicide because this damn patriarchic society is pushing them to adhere to impossible beauty standarts.

You are right on this one, but what made you start talking like this
-----------------
Anyway, I like the cine part, its graphics are fine for me,
the good thing I like about this and Blizzard is because of their cines, I'm actually even thinking that they should rather do some movies,

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I will say it once again, the thread is called "New Blizzard Game: Overwatch Revealed!", so why, O WHY are you discussing Hearthstone or Sc in here? Make thread presenting the new expansion for each game respectivelly with trailer videos linked or stuff
Hmm, clearly and as Gilles mentioned, a full BlizzCon thread should've been posted. SC2Mapster at least summarized it well into a news post.

About this latter discussion of misogyny, perhaps we should branch into a spin-off in Medivh's Tower?

Level 34
Saying this is a ripoff of TF2 is like saying Lord of the Rings is a ripoff of Starwars.
Except that LotR came before SW?!? Sooo, it's not like that at all. And your comparison sucks, while his doesn't.

And I would agree, it looks a lot like a TF2-like game, which is not an issue. I don't know why people take issue when a game is a lot like one before it.
But I'm not that excited. I don't generally play these types of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.