• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Overwatch & Blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
61699bfcfcbad556d23f98ed09140a23_M.jpg

So guys! The open beta is up and running from 4th to 9th of May. More than a "What do you think about Overwatch?" thread (you may also tell us if you feel so), but what do you think about Blizzard's new approach to gaming?

Also, I've seen a lot of comments around the internet regarding this new game/moment of the company, like:

* "Oh Blizzard's going to leave their old RTS behind and never look back at them";
* "Blizzard's sold out to mainstream Pixar shit just like when a band becomes too famous";
* "They realized they messed up with WoW and are now trying something new from scratch"
* "I like it except the modern liberal femminist shit like Zootopia"

Unfortunately I read very few in-depth thoughts. So what are yours?

I'm personally enjoying it a lot! The gameplay is refreshing but not veeery innovative, as I understand that giving the audience something 100% new is very risky in terms of acceptance by the community.

What intrigues me most is very nice effort put into character creation, background story and additional content constantly created by the company - the movies, HQs, etc are very high quality and (I think) it is by far the most effort put lore-expanding content that I've ever seen done by any game company. I feel like they are trying to create a stronger bond between the community and Overwatch's universe as a way to hold the players interested in the game for more time - and that is a real issue as recently a lot of games suffer from serious loss of playerbase. Even some very hyped games in the recent past like Evolve and Titanfall.

In conclusion I think Blizzard's doing a splendid job with it so far and maybe this new approach in game-universe development is going to be considered by other game companies as well. I wonder if, in case it shows successful, it will become common in gaming industry from now on, who knows.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I got no in-depth thoughts.

I've 20 hours of playtime since the open beta started so I may not be the best person to ask but hey.

The graphics are charming and well done and gameplay is enjoyable.
Made my preorder already, I will play it casually for sure.

I got nothing to complain about except the fact that they wipe all data at launch. Which means all skins/levels earned will be gone.

There's not a single Blizzard game to date that is bad. May not be the best game ever, but they will be enjoyable for a week or two and make it worth the money.

Level 28
I think they did a good job with the graphics because they're functional, pretty and doesn't require a top PC to run, like many modern games. It is easier to get pretty graphics while demanding too much from the machine, but they avoided that.

There's not a single Blizzard game to date that is bad. May not be the best game ever, but they will be enjoyable for a week or two and make it worth the money.

D: For a week or two?! You don't value your money do you? Just jk (although I'm actually impressed lol)

pyf

pyf

Level 32
LimitingBounds' post explained

" In March 2016, Blizzard decided to change a victory pose of the female character Tracer. A player had expressed concerns through the official online forum that the pose was an example of inappropriate sexual objectification of an otherwise friendly and heroic character. The thread regarding the pose gained significant attention. Blizzard game designer Jeffrey Kaplan revealed in later interviews that concerns about the pose had previously been expressed internally. Members of the gaming community had mixed reactions to the change, expressing both appreciation of Blizzard's recognition of this problem and disappointment at Blizzard's apparent yielding of creative authority. The pose was replaced in the beta, before the game's launch. "

Last edited:
Level 28
Oh that controversy is even mentioned on wikipedia, lol

About that, I must agree with this guy. The video is long but overall it says that it was an uninteresting pose animation-wise that ended up portraying cliché/shallow character development from Blizzard.

However as LimitingBounds might have noted, Tracer's butt is still too proeminent and appealing, talking model-wise. There is no need for it (except if she was a character whose sexualization was actually part of character development - like Widowmaker), Blizzard already got most (almost all) of females from their games looking unneccessarily thin and big breasted with thigh clothes... I've always found that silly.

Overwatch has me conflicted. For once, I simply don't like FPS games. But on the other hand, I absolutely LOVE the character design. Every single one of them just oozes personality, even if some are a bit stereotypical. That is complimented by animations that are probably the best that Blizzard has ever done.

I hope we will eventually see a spin-off of overwatch, bringing the characters to a different genre. I'd love to see the Overwatch characters in a tactical RPG, for example. The game market really lacks tactical games, let alone tactical RPGs like XCOM or Fire Emblem.

Level 28
Lol, they were quick.

There seems to be a slight awkward appreciation of Mei throughout the community... xD

That's pretty much that (aside from the fact that I didn't really feel bothered by those "downsides"). BTW what is the matter with those people going mad about waifus? lol

However my favourite videos got to be the play of the game type:

Status
Not open for further replies.