1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Natural Selection v1.4b

Submitted by callex
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Natural Selection

Summary:
Create your species and evolve your creatures from simple land animals to unique and powerful beasts. Fine-tune their genetic code in singleplayer, and then unleash them against others online!

Natural Selection is a sandbox game in which you design you own unique species of creature. At first your species is basic, with a preset size, colour and behaviour. Over time however, your creatures will adapt to their competition; potentially developing a wide array of abilities - anything from fire-breathing wolves to berserker polar bears is possible!

Features:
-Thousands of possible creature combinations
-Adapted save/load system for storing your creations (based on a script by TriggerHappy)
-Advanced creature AI, that controls everything from hunting to mating and nesting.
-Unprotected version can be found here. Mappers are welcome to take a peek under the hood and learn how everything works

Changelog:
v1.0 - Uploaded
v1.1 - Fixed an issue with loner AI. Baby aggressive creatures no longer flee. Fixed ability levelling issue.
v1.2 - Added 5 new abilities, 6 New creature models, fixed allied vision issue, more ai tweaks, pack hunting ability, new save/load system, numerous other bug fixes.
v1.3 - AI improvements, multiple bug fixes.
v1.35 - Fixed pack ability, added -fog and -cap commands, various other bug fixes/balance tweaks.
v1.4 - New terrain added! Credit goes to Saken for making this for me!
v1.4b - Revised terrain by Saken. A little more height variation added.

Keywords:
natural selection, evolution, sandbox, god, sim, creation, creator, toy, creature, species, adapt
Contents

Natural Selection v1.4b (Map)

1. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It could definately use some improvement though!

I finally found the issue with creatures sitting around in their nests for hours; they should be a lot more active in this version :D

2. mouseman89

mouseman89

Resources:
    Resources:
    ally system?

3. Dwarf_King

Dwarf_King

Resources:
    Resources:
    This game is amazing. Fun, easy, original-all the makings of a great game. Definitely the best casual WC3 game i've found. Could you possibly add a tutorial though? I known it's a very slight learning curve, but after hosting it a few times, i get people screaming about why they can't move their units or make a new race. They are morons, but a quick tutorial/intro to explain the game might help. Also, a quick question; Can you inter-breed different species? I haven't tried this yet but some other people in my games have, without much luck.

4. Mr.Pockets00000

Mr.Pockets00000

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    VERY good concept. I did enjoy playing the map for about half an hour. But I have two suggestions that would heavilly improve your map:
    -Fix Lag.
    When I played this map, if i made more than like 4 computer players the map lagged when the populations increased. Especially when it was small creatures that reproduce way too fast.
    -Add More Creatures.
    Although this map does supply a decent amount of animal models to choose from, more would be nice. There are only two categories which are mammal and reptile/other. Maby add a bird or dinosaur section. And I know that these models are not in WarCraft III, but you can download them. Even I can import models and I really just suck at map making on WarCraft III. Also note there were many other animal models already in WarCraft III that you didn't put in but should. This map would be perfect if you reduced the lag and put all the animals from WarCraft III + some custom models from hiveworkshop.

5. xevoz

xevoz

Resources:
    Resources:
    its a fun gmae but how about this
    -omnavores that only get 75% form planet and meat but can eat both
    -make more maps of this with differnt terrain so everyone can get there fav map
    -fish and amphimbns they can get a slight disavantage
    -more stuff to chose form at the start(example=color chosing)

6. Lord_Firage

Lord_Firage

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I love this Map.. But sometimes I think you can't really have a strategy.. ^^ I mean.. you can't create a Species so it is hightly dangerous for another species.. but weak for another.. you dont know what will happen.. xD
    Maybe put some more features in it.. like species which ONLY steal eggs.. and eat them..

Ghouls are.. a plague.. they sometimes just appear when a unit of another SPecies dies o_O Keep working !
    Would like to have a higher MAX size :D
    and btw BIG Species are.. weak.. they dont have a chance

7. Lemming3000

Lemming3000

Resources:
    Resources:
    NICE :D, this games cool
    slight bug though might not be a bug but i cloned some units to try jumpstart a particular strain or unit and the units i spawned dont seem to want to move

i think you should make the units change a bit less quickly maybe make it an option so you can have games where you play with a friend and try devolp cool units uber fast to kill each other or games where you can just watch them slowly develope, add more abilitys that arnt just combat related like faster breeding and productive feeding and differnt terrian types which units will develope aspects which will help them on this terrain like faster on grasslands or faster in forests

those are just my ideas dont play to much attention to them xD

quote: "and btw BIG Species are.. weak.. they dont have a chance" Lord_Firage
    not really o_O first speices i got to achieve WORLD DOMINATION! was a large zombie it was ridiculus how good it was xD had to kill it off to give other speices a chance x(

edit: i looked at it again you also cant control clones, oh yea game needs fish :p oh and the ability to quickly make prey units to fill up your map since random unit has a chance to make carnivores and carnivores eating carnivores is silly :p

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. Lord_Firage

Lord_Firage

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    the abilitys given´to the Creatures.. seem to be random... I would like to able "breed" a specific Species of Creatures..

9. vAnKaTa_G.G.

vAnKaTa_G.G.

Resources:
    Resources:
    Usually when you look at a lot of units on a warcraft 3 map it lags. I mean lots of units in the same place. It just floods and begins to lag. I don't think the map leaks on this one :ugly:

10. Lemming3000

Lemming3000

Resources:
    Resources:
    lol o_O you can breed creatures and its random because its natural selection the units with the most effective abilitys will survive the longest (in theory) and get the breed passing on their traits but you can breed them you can choose certain animals you life the abilitys of and either control them to breed with an animal which also has cool abilitys and then to can save the product and recreate it as that race

edit: hmm odd one of my speices has changed its race altogether xD? is that meant to happen o_O my mammoth is now a felhound a very very small felhound at that o_O

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  11. duke-zip

duke-zip

Resources:
    Resources:
    hey callex, i absolutely LOVE this map. But can you please add fog of war? It would make it a lot less laggy and more engaging/challenging, or at least add an option to turn it on!!
    Other suggestions:

Add a defensive roll: If monster attacks you then your creature should fight back (between aggressive and passive). I dont want my herbivores looking for trouble but i want them to defend themselves when needed :p

Passive attribute sucks ):. The creatures never seem to outrun the predator and one predator can beat a whole huddle if they dont fight back. I tried being the smallest size passive herbivore and it never paid off.

Carnivore should require more food and reproduce less, they are wayyy too easy. Fog of war will also help

Hope this helps, 5/5!

12. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

I've added 'creature cap' and 'fog of war' options to the to-do list. I also like the idea of non-combat abilities. I've tweaked the amount of food provided by a corpse, among other things. Hopefully I can get a new version out in the next couple of days. I'll also look into some of the other issues people have raised.

13. SirMelf

SirMelf

Resources:
    Resources:
    With 1.3b this map is even greater than before :D

But i found some bug(I think): I had Carnivores with windwalk and they windwalked only to stand still until the effekt wore off. I guess its usefull for herbivores, fleeing etc, but could you make Carnivores use the windwalk to attack?

Edit: I forgot to say... even though i like more skins to choose from, the troll and the satyr... well, i dont think they fit in, they even use tools/weapons, in my opinion they should be replaced by something more animalistic.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  14. Horohor0

Horohor0

Resources:
    Resources:
    I, too, think that the humanlike creatures should be removed, they just dont fit in.
    Else this is a very good map.

15. mouseman89

mouseman89

Resources:
    Resources:
    maybe replace troll with rat?

16. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yea I though the same thing when I implemented them. I think I'll draw the line at the mur'gul model then. I'm just running a little out of models ^^. I've avoided critters and zerg because they dont have all of the animations that the other species' have.

17. SirMelf

SirMelf

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why dont you use a few custom models? There are lots of great models at the hive :p

18. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'm no stranger to custom models ^^ but I would rather keep the mapsize down, and I think the stock models would seem too samey and dull in comparison. I tend to take an 'all or nothing' approach to custom models.

That being said, my terrainer is using a few. No clue how much it will affect the map size at the moment, but from what I've heard it will atleast look awesome :)

19. SirMelf

SirMelf

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hm, I see your point there, to different styles etc^^ Sounds great :D When do you expect the new terrain to be finished, already an idea?

20. ShadowOverlord

ShadowOverlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    Speakin of models... The Zergling and Hydralisk are quite missed by my friends and me... We actually liked how they looked, even though they lacked a Mating animation.
    Oh and Trolls should stay... I like my Noisy Neighbors (They are noisy when breeding >.>)

Anyways... Awesome map so far, can't wait to see if it has multiple terrains or not. You should keep this terrain, just in case, give it a special name!

Rating 5/5,+Rep ^_^