1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Natural Selection v1.4b

Submitted by callex
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Natural Selection

Summary:
Create your species and evolve your creatures from simple land animals to unique and powerful beasts. Fine-tune their genetic code in singleplayer, and then unleash them against others online!

Natural Selection is a sandbox game in which you design you own unique species of creature. At first your species is basic, with a preset size, colour and behaviour. Over time however, your creatures will adapt to their competition; potentially developing a wide array of abilities - anything from fire-breathing wolves to berserker polar bears is possible!

Features:
-Thousands of possible creature combinations
-Adapted save/load system for storing your creations (based on a script by TriggerHappy)
-Advanced creature AI, that controls everything from hunting to mating and nesting.
-Unprotected version can be found here. Mappers are welcome to take a peek under the hood and learn how everything works

Changelog:
v1.0 - Uploaded
v1.1 - Fixed an issue with loner AI. Baby aggressive creatures no longer flee. Fixed ability levelling issue.
v1.2 - Added 5 new abilities, 6 New creature models, fixed allied vision issue, more ai tweaks, pack hunting ability, new save/load system, numerous other bug fixes.
v1.3 - AI improvements, multiple bug fixes.
v1.35 - Fixed pack ability, added -fog and -cap commands, various other bug fixes/balance tweaks.
v1.4 - New terrain added! Credit goes to Saken for making this for me!
v1.4b - Revised terrain by Saken. A little more height variation added.

Keywords:
natural selection, evolution, sandbox, god, sim, creation, creator, toy, creature, species, adapt
Contents

Natural Selection v1.4b (Map)

1. Agarwa3n

Agarwa3n

Resources:
    Resources:
    I dont know how that happened. I just alt tabbed and saw this monster infront of me. I was selectively breeding them based on size factor.

2. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey, maybe you could also make Fear Pheromones? You know, to warn your animals not to go close to that area?!

3. irock9645696

irock9645696

Resources:
    Resources:
    Omg Multi-posts!!! Kibasuke pls read the rules.

4. Hamsamwich

Hamsamwich

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh and it is pretty easy to get a size 999 monster. You just . . "breed" stuff with 200 or even 196 (highest i ever got before 999 size) and then start a new colony with them. Their offspring WILL be size 999. Also sometimes black :p

And speaking of a glitch

When something is 10 10 10 color wise, it wont' show up black, but the clones will. ANd could color be changeable when making your creature? :D

5. Riptokus

Riptokus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Two Possible Factors

Freaks of nature (the size 201+ Mutant Babies) seem to occur every time the 99-100 barrier is crossed. I haven't yet evolved a creature beyond 99, but when I have a creature close to that barrier, it evolves a Mutant baby.
    This can be seen with this Herbivore:
    0E1T-255I-00UK-0000-0000
    It is size 99, and shells out mutants. The same Herbivore at a smaller size:
    0E1S-1XCY-00UK-0000-0000

I also think the problem I experienced with an Invalid code was due to abilities. I -believe- that abilities change the RGB up or down by a certain amount. That is generally fine, except I don't think that the game accounts for it right. As such, my 30/100/30 Lizards really have a RGB of 10/100/30. So when I evolve their red down lower than 20, the color becomes negative, even though the values show positive due to an ability. This invalidates the code. I am not certain, having not spent enough time looking at the custom map code, but I believe that this is probably the source of it.

I also think the reported bug of the cluster for everyone except player 1 comes from the fact that all players except player 1 shares vision. Eliminating shared vision will fix that problem. I do think that player 1 can see the entire map, but no others can, should be addressed ASAP, since it creates an Imbalance situation. The effects of it are minor, especially with shared vision on for the rest, but the perceived imbalance could cause problems.

6. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh, I don't understand hw to achieve ablilties for my creatures...

7. Mouzyy

Mouzyy

Resources:
    Resources:
    also, you could add some ally system (to be ally with other animals!), just make some ability "peace" and war" with triggers

unit casta ability, equal to Peace

make (owner of ability beign cast) treat (owner of targeted unit) as ally
    make (owner of targeted unit) treat (owner of ability beign cast) as ally

i tried to make this myself, but i got "older" version of editor, so error occured.
    and add it to toolkit.
    I would be very happy to see this in next version :p

8. lscorpionl

lscorpionl

Resources:
    Resources:
    - Can you add Mana Points in the description when uses "Creature Info"?
    - The reuse time of "Take Control", can be reduced?? :xxd:

9. haxel96

haxel96

Resources:
    Resources:
    nice!
    but it takes really long time to get spells-.- i created some giant lizards and watched them fight mini murlocs but the murlocs pwned them, when i created them they got the spell like 20-30 seconds after-.-

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  10. Hamsamwich

Hamsamwich

Resources:
    Resources:
    Two comments, if you save a game and then load it you can freely select any unit and your tool box :D

Also when loading a lot repeativly it can get messed up. I was looking at all ym codes and trying to label them, and a bunch of them ended up having abilities (i found an annoying way around this, i had to save another random monster, then use the code for the one i want for it to work).

Also along those lines while i was doing that someone made a monster and it STOLE my abilities! Or at least he ended up with perma immo spikes electric charge andWW.

Also along those lines, how does one lvl an ability? The only lvled one i have ever seen was a lvl 5 electric charge (it was just there one mutation, and i have never seen a lvl 1 of it)

Also idea, not sure if this is there or not because i didn't pay attention, but maybe make it so depending on the size of the creature they get less/more mana from plants/corpses. So larger sized species have smaller populations, this might also require a buff for big monsters :p But that would allow for giant (t-rex like) creatures to roam around and be "unf!ckable" but have few of them. OF course that would probably go hand in hand with the "avoid pheromone" someone mentioned (now that just reminded me of Majesty).

11. DraconicBlade

DraconicBlade

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know a person on US.WEST who would like to terrain this map. Bottom right corner theres a plant that cant be reached and my herbs keep gathering up in there and they wont fight back when attacked. it seems like certain abilities are causing the save to bug up, but it could just be the save/load itself. the games a 8.5 or 9 in my opinion, in otherwords, its not perfect YET. keep up the good work.

12. Flazze

Flazze

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can Terrain This Map if you want :D I can also change the tileset and have more terrain variations ^_^

13. Riptokus

Riptokus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What is the color of the creature?
    I believe the source of this bug is that with the abilities and save code, a creature will evolve below negative in base color. Try evolving more color into and using one of those as your base.

14. mouseman89

mouseman89

Resources:
    Resources:
    awesome game, but could you add a rat for a mammal? they multiply REALLY fast but are very weak

15. cool_is_i

cool_is_i

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  16. SirMelf

SirMelf

Resources:
    Resources:
    I realy like this map, but I would suggest to give carnivores more damage and a 1 sec 30% slow, and maybe make the speed and life differences for bigger and smaller creatures bigger. Also the way the creatures flee is often useless because they stop after a few metres. While playing this map i noted that a 70 size herbivore, without fleeing, always takes in the whole map and even eradicates all carnivores. Very small herbivores are most likely to be killed by 70 sized carnivores even when set to flee when their nest is invaded. Sometimes a hole herd of about 20-30 of them died.

And I think it would be much funnier if the creatures where more active, like maybe that they always go hunting when they can't mate.

If you'd add that they loose health when their mana is 0 and that mana slowly depletes it would become more realistic.

After all this stuff i'd change I only have left to say that this is a realy great idea and a realy great map that i love to play( or more likely to watch^^).

17. kibasuke

kibasuke

Resources:
    Resources:
    I had an age 7 999 sized 10% 10% 10% bear.... :O..

18. kibasuke

kibasuke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, you should put an alliance.. or morph together 2 animals or such, it is boring to watch it grow and grow

19. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Please don't double post, use edit instead!

20. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'll get around to addressing most of these issues. This was only ever meant to be a mini-project, but I definately want to iron out those bugs. Just bear with me, the holidays are over and I'm back at college; I have very little time at the moment for mapping.