1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Natural Selection v1.4b

Submitted by callex
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Natural Selection

Summary:
Create your species and evolve your creatures from simple land animals to unique and powerful beasts. Fine-tune their genetic code in singleplayer, and then unleash them against others online!

Natural Selection is a sandbox game in which you design you own unique species of creature. At first your species is basic, with a preset size, colour and behaviour. Over time however, your creatures will adapt to their competition; potentially developing a wide array of abilities - anything from fire-breathing wolves to berserker polar bears is possible!

Features:
-Thousands of possible creature combinations
-Adapted save/load system for storing your creations (based on a script by TriggerHappy)
-Advanced creature AI, that controls everything from hunting to mating and nesting.
-Unprotected version can be found here. Mappers are welcome to take a peek under the hood and learn how everything works

Changelog:
v1.0 - Uploaded
v1.1 - Fixed an issue with loner AI. Baby aggressive creatures no longer flee. Fixed ability levelling issue.
v1.2 - Added 5 new abilities, 6 New creature models, fixed allied vision issue, more ai tweaks, pack hunting ability, new save/load system, numerous other bug fixes.
v1.3 - AI improvements, multiple bug fixes.
v1.35 - Fixed pack ability, added -fog and -cap commands, various other bug fixes/balance tweaks.
v1.4 - New terrain added! Credit goes to Saken for making this for me!
v1.4b - Revised terrain by Saken. A little more height variation added.

Keywords:
natural selection, evolution, sandbox, god, sim, creation, creator, toy, creature, species, adapt
Contents

Natural Selection v1.4b (Map)

1. Domasi

Domasi

Resources:
    Resources:
    Interesting map, but you must improve that terrain... it's almost blank.

2. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'm pretty useless at terraining, but if anyone wants to make a terrain I'd be more than happy to give credit for it :)

3. bureaulamp

bureaulamp

Resources:
    Resources:
    Something original to play :)

It's always good to have maps like that :)

4. D4RK_G4ND4LF

D4RK_G4ND4LF

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    very nice idea
    gonna breed some epic badass creatues :D

bud I really think you should add a mapprotection cause else people will just cheat some codes :/

5. Cyclotrutan

Cyclotrutan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This map is very interesting. The terrain and AI need improvement.

Terrain:
    First step to improve the terrain would be height variations. Higher the ground under the trees a bit and add some random heights. Use more different textures. And use another tileset. I think that Ashenvale is ugly (but thats only my opinion) Search for some terrain templates.

AI: I made a giant lizard, carnivore, aggressive, lone hunter species. But most of them were just idle in the nest and starved until it was extinct. One of my lizards was attacked by a signle herbivore, tiny, cautious creature thing. AND IT RAN AWAY. that doesnt make sense at all. The medium-sized, carnivore, small pack-hunter creatures functioned very well, though. (if it helps you fixing it, I can send you the replay)

The map is very interesting and innovative. Keep working on it!

6. lulol

lulol

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very interressing map.

I had fun making species, but i think there isn't enough choice.
    I randomly made a middle herbivore creature who hunt in small pack and they took control of the whole map... I tryed to stop them with big lone hunter carnivore, large pack of small carnivore or herbivore... but nothing stopped them .. they extinct something like 5 species before i leave the game.

4/5.

I suggest you to add terrain influence, like animals who run faster in a swamp or who gain bonus damage in some rocky mountains. Or to made a random terrain.

7. Cyclotrutan

Cyclotrutan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Good idea, Im in favour of that.

8. crawlers

crawlers

Resources:
    Resources:
    i have found a bug

when a creature atemps to cast frost breath but before it is cast the target creature runs away the casting creature becomes "stuck", and unless commanded to do something, remains stuck.

9. bureaulamp

bureaulamp

Resources:
    Resources:
    The map has great potential and I loved playing it.
    Although there is plenty of stuff to improve, because it is very hard to control your units. (I know the point is to let them do it themselves)

* the hunting pheromones work kind of slow so there is no use for carnivores since the prey will be gone long before they arrive.

The creatures usually don't do a lot and without any influence it gets boring.
    Besides its useless to control 1 creature when fighting a fast breeding type.

I think this game would do fine, and still keep it's point if you could set up hunting groups to locations etc. So you can still influence your units instead of seeing them get owned by the AI

10. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    There was a bug with the loner AI's for both herbivore and carnivores, this has now been fixed. I'd be happy to add terrain effects once I get the current terrain looking prettier. As for balancing the ecosystem; more creatures seem to work best, you need a nice balance between herbivores and carnivores. One species will become the most dominant eventually however.

11. vAnKaTa_G.G.

vAnKaTa_G.G.

Resources:
    Resources:
    And another map by callex :) . I'm a big fan of your work. I'll check the map and rate :D. I'll give my review later.

12. crawlers

crawlers

Resources:
    Resources:
    anouther bug

you cannot save ai's creatures (or at least u cant in single player)

13. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You can't save the creatures for an AI if they're set to a computer. Leave the player slots open and it will work. I'll fix this for the next version though.

14. crawlers

crawlers

Resources:
    Resources:
    the slots were open and thank you, now i can evo my creatures 12 times faster! :D

15. Sheephunter

Sheephunter

Resources:
    Resources:
    you sould add like so you can select if its gonna be poison, lightning, fire, ice or any other element, Btw my super turtle did pwn evrything :D

16. Hamsamwich

Hamsamwich

Resources:
    Resources:
    AWesome map, i have been using my bot to host it (randomhost @ east)

Any advise on how to get abilities?

And does the nseting pheromone even work? Atleast make it mroe noticable!

Also, inter-species breeding ?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  17. bureaulamp

bureaulamp

Resources:
    Resources:
    Map is either is really random since I die every time. Or I just don't get the strategies I should use in this game. I thought the point was mainly to do nothing >.<

18. Agarwa3n

Agarwa3n

Resources:
    Resources:
    You say creatures grow till size 200, but.. Look at my humongus hydralisk!

[​IMG]

Btw, the creature gave a false code. I left my pc a whole night open only to realise on the remake that the code was bugged (there goes the humongus hydralisk with four lvl5 abilities), so it is kinda gameruining.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  19. Trian

Trian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Really interesting concept, I really like this map. Original and unique, it's interesting watching your species trying to survive and adapt with new abilities.