• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Naga Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
For that topic, which I hope won't continue, snakes don't need clothes underwater. their scales provide less friction, which is what they want. the armor they put on them in WoW, and maybe Warcraft 3, was for appearances, so they didn't look like just another naga. What do you think of when you see a murloc? Basically, "Oh, them again. wonderful", because you know that unless you go slowly and play carefully, you're gonna get mobbed. I doubt the armor does anything to change their stats, in WoW, so it's basically just for looks.

Level 10
lol Var and I have been playing Metroid Prime 3, and reading the Lore Logs gave me an idea for the campaign. Since I want to show some of the lore behind the continent, what better way than to use data logs? Now, I've already written about twenty four of them, and plan on them being read only. Perhaps we can use these to give hints to powerful objects and areas for plot progression. This has really helped define the events I've already come up with in the campaign. Hopefully, there'll be more I can add.

Level 21
Well...till they do something I'll just give turtle ability to sell slaves and also make turtle appear first. As for slaves to wood thing well you can send them as you always do.

Great to hear Sacrid. Though must admit I am not sure where will those logs be located. In mission description or quest list?

Edit: Yea AI has problems with slaves being sold in turtle wagon. I trieed then to set turtles to be buildings but game crashed when I added them to train slaves.

Level 10
Well, I was thinking of using the triggers to use regions to create text boxes so people can read the logs when they want. I could also use the cinematic speech boxes for it. It'd probably be easier.

For the turtles, I suggest that you buy a turtle like a normal worker unit, which then creates a slave for lumber collection. Since you want them to be mobile lumber yards, it makes sense not to buy the turtle and the slave at the same time and price. All other slaves will have to be bought at the turtles you buy. As great as that sounds, it sounds like a huge advantage compared to the other races. Not only do naga have the ability to swim and submerge, their lumber yard is completely mobile and can be used as bunkers when needed. Are they going to get an upgrade similar to spiked barricades? If so, we can call it Spiked Carapace or Razor Shell. If not, they at least sound nice.

Level 23
You want a mobile base for the wood to return to? Easy. TREAT base model. You turn an Ancient into a turtle, and it will be able to prosduce units. Then, you only problem is making it be able to move while still collecting the lumber. Perhaps, cut the ability to Uproot, and check "Movable" as a yes.

Level 21
Ugh the problem is that if turtle is a unit then AI won't buy units since turtle sells them instead of training them. If I set turtle to be building and to train units then game crashes. At the moment I placed slaves in coral beads. About ancient root ability well in mobile form it can't train units (tested with night elves). Plus AI is little retarded when it comes to units that can change shapes as he treats forms as separate units.
Oh and turtle does have spiked shell just not yet upgrade for it.

Oh and I vote for speech box or any way that would pause the game while player reads.

Level 23
So, you can't just take the Ancient's Tree of Eternity, and make the rooted version able to walk? That throws quite a hitch into my idea. :/

Edit: Hmm... I see what you mean. It remains rooted to the ground, despite the fact that I made it movable. It rotates, but that isn't the effect we were going for... :/ I think someone would have to dig deep into the coding, unfortunately.

And even turning a Hero into a building doesn't work. The construction frames don't appear when I click for a unit to be built, and the target hero can't be seen in the construction area for Wisps to build the hero.

Level 10
If we can't get the turtles to work that way, then let's just have it so that you have to buy the turtles and the slaves seperately? Turtles are mobile lumber mills anyway, and should be used to get upgrades like all the other races.

So, cinematic speech box it is then. I'll go write that down so I don't forget it. lol

Level 21
Well even when it can move then it losses ability to train units. Plus since both moving and rally point use right click building gets confused. This isn't simple triggering this is game mechanics limitation. Its more problematic cuz of AI. I mean selling units would be way easier to do but AI just refuses to do it. Currently turtle is trained from main building (and now you get one from beginning) while slaves are relocated in coral beads. It makes economy much faster.

Anyway will try to see to work on other units also. Murgul revear still lacks upgrade, sorcerer lacks 2 abilities, some units lack names and abilities... It is shame that there are no simple unit spells on hive.

Level 23
Well, maybe we could have the turtle "root" to train units. Think about it. Is it easier to learn how to fight, or chop wood if your learning platform is moving, or if it is still? We'd be watching them chase it through the map! XD Like those really long gold runs. :p

But by having it uproot, it'll be able to move, and thus can be built within a fortress, before moving out into the open, for example. The lumber murguls will just need to have a turtle nearby, and I believe we can set what building they return it to.

Level 21
Well I am just waiting to see solution that will work for both player and AI and since AI is retarded when it comes to turtles (rooted and uprooted turtle are treated as two different units though I did use stone form ability and AI seems to crash the game when turtles can train slaves).

Level 21
Reaver, Snap Dragon, Flying Reptile (poor guy needs name), Sea Drake, Sorcerer (thinking to add to him abilty to create staff that damages every unit that casts spell), the other anomaly unit (Think we have naga Dark Templar situation xD) oh and golem. Oh and heroes could use more love.

Level 21
Why did you have to remind me of that... ok ok no prob since he'll have order to train the default unit and he'll train it only if number of anomaly is under 3-4 or something. Just like I did make so when AI reaches tier 3 he would stop making mur'guls and make Myrmidons.

Level 10
I started making maps, but I haven't touched them lately. Sadly, I'm really the only person who's worked on the plot. I thought Misha and var were going to help, but it didn't really happen. I think we had two conversations that barely focused on it for ten minutes at a time. I ended up waiting to see what we will end up with model wise. Got to fit all the units into the plot somehow, and I doubt new forms of magic will change everything. Though I didn't plan to have mutations, like normal murloc slave getting new powers, as a way to introduce an upgrade. It'd be kind of funny to see murloc slaves with a rage ability.

Level 10
Ah, so we know what we'll have but not what they'll look like. okay. now, what about abilties? I know that Blizzard had some of the plots focused around specific abilties or units, like the crypt fields and their anti ir webs, or the draenei and their permanent stealth. Those were always interesting to do. And I do want to do some maps like that.

Level 21
Well in wow mages have arcane, fire and ice specs which is wrong according to real lore as ice and fire along with fel and others are part of arcane.

Anyway I am curious about heroes in campaign. Will we use the custom race heroes or are we having campaign only heroes? Or preferably a mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.