• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first Blender model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Very very simple. My colleagues did more complex things with bones and stuff, but I'm working alone so my professor advised me to be practical.

Just thought I'd share this because I actually liked the result =P used vertex painting and smooth shading.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CG_24.png
    CG_24.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 474

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Vertex painting is not perfect: it paints just the vertices. My model has a lot of them (that's the only reason the eyes are looking reasonable), much more than it should, considering I have to have 3 identical models and make a 1 minute animation involving all three. My .blend file was 3 MB and went up by 1,5 MB when I duplicated the panda face, just so you see.

Level 29
So...low poly spheres with vertex coloring? Why would you do that?
For vertex coloring to actually look decent, you need a whole lot more vertices (more relevant for sculpting, where having millions of vertices isn't a lot).

Still, I don't really see the modeling part.
Not trying to depress you or anything, but you should probably do something a bit more complicated.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Yeah, considering the hardest part was making the eyes look decent (painting, not modeling), you're probably right.

We're supposed to make a labyrinth, three identical personages (that's where the panda comes in) and a 60 sec animation of the personages going through the labyrinth. Using dummies, the 3 elements of the group can work in parallel. However, I am working alone, so I had to simplify. I am making the labyrinth and animation as well, but since I can't do parallelism on my own... This semester's been extremely rough, believe me when I say I'd love to take more out of this experience, but it's been impossible with the deadlines. Right now I'm struggling to finish the animation so I can leave it rendering during the night and handle it tomorrow by 23 o'clock (deadline for this project).

Anyhow, my bachelor's is computer science, I'm probably not supposed to dig far into modeling stuff.

Is there anywhere or anyone I can go to for immediate assistance (haven't seen you in chat GhostWolf)? I'm having trouble now and then. Right now I'm not sure how I should make an object walk around with keyframes, then follow a path (which isn't keyframable so I can't make it start at e.g. frame 150), then right back to basic translations and rotations. It's surprising how unhelpful Google's been ='(

Thanks for passing by and commenting though. Sorry for the letdown.

Yeah, considering the hardest part was making the eyes look decent (painting, not modeling), you're probably right.

We're supposed to make a labyrinth, three identical personages (that's where the panda comes in) and a 60 sec animation of the personages going through the labyrinth. Using dummies, the 3 elements of the group can work in parallel. However, I am working alone, so I had to simplify. I am making the labyrinth and animation as well, but since I can't do parallelism on my own... This semester's been extremely rough, believe me when I say I'd love to take more out of this experience, but it's been impossible with the deadlines. Right now I'm struggling to finish the animation so I can leave it rendering during the night and handle it tomorrow by 23 o'clock (deadline for this project).

Anyhow, my bachelor's is computer science, I'm probably not supposed to dig far into modeling stuff.

Is there anywhere or anyone I can go to for immediate assistance (haven't seen you in chat GhostWolf)? I'm having trouble now and then. Right now I'm not sure how I should make an object walk around with keyframes, then follow a path (which isn't keyframable so I can't make it start at e.g. frame 150), then right back to basic translations and rotations. It's surprising how unhelpful Google's been ='(

Thanks for passing by and commenting though. Sorry for the letdown.

Try not rushing yourself. i'm also a bachelor in computer science(actualy software engineering but it's very related). When I started, I figured, I had to learn first to do some decent modeling, then to do some decent texturing and finaly to do some decent animations.

When I mean decent, i refer to simple stuffs like modeling trees and buildings. Characters are way more complex not only to model but also to animate.

You should focus now on your modeling and afterwards on unwrapping and texturing. Once you've grabbed it, you can go on and do a little non skeletical animation (my basic animation tutorial is based on skeletical animation, it's oriented on advanced users actualy, so never feel that it should be the minimum you should learn as it's designed for artists).

Now I took 2 courses in computer graphics back in the university. The first one had to do from basic opengl programming to glsl programming(shaders). The second one is what it's important because it had a little programming(advanced glsl) and mainly Maya modeling.

That course taught students: basic modeling, basic unwrapping, basic illumination and basic animation. For basic modeling, it concentrated on modeling buildings and doodads for games, unwrapping was based on simple unwrapping to later use 3d painting in mudbox/zbrush. Animation was centered on animating simple objects such as doors and balls.

My personal suggestion:
  • Look for a software that fits your needs and style. When I started, I tried maya, milkshape, wing3d and 3ds max(blender didn't exist back then). It was 3ds max the one that fitted my style.
  • Play around with the tool, don't rush. Do silly things and try getting to know little bits of it. I see you are doing that alread, I recall that i also did a teddy bear when I started(in your case a panda).
  • Don't worry if what you do is not good, you are learning after all. You'll realise how to do things better and easier after some time.
  • You'll have a lot of material left unfinished, that's normal.
  • Pick an area you like and try focusing on that aspect. in my case, I picked animation.
  • If you are into game development, you should focus on simple modeling and texturing. Give a try to sculping as well. Box modeling is not the only technique.

Btw in what aspects of modeling are you more insterested at or what you want to achieve by learning blender?

Reactions: Rui
Level 17
:p lel 3mb files, makes me sad about my 5gb mudbox files.

It's cute ! But I assume you won't be doing too much of the actual graphics themselves then, or are you required to do that for some course there ?
3D modeling in itself isn't really hard, so you can spare little extra time for a lot of extra knowledge if you enjoy it.
Maybe not in blender though lol, it is genuinely quite confusing from the get-go, although when you get used to it the modeling tools are indeed quite powerful especially when it comes to box modeling.

:p lel 3mb files, makes me sad about my 5gb mudbox files.

It's cute ! But I assume you won't be doing too much of the actual graphics themselves then, or are you required to do that for some course there ?
3D modeling in itself isn't really hard, so you can spare little extra time for a lot of extra knowledge if you enjoy it.
Maybe not in blender though lol, it is genuinely quite confusing from the get-go, although when you get used to it the modeling tools are indeed quite powerful especially when it comes to box modeling.

5GB mudbox files o_O. I don't know much mudbox but in zBrush one can tune dynaMesh to keep polies precise when saving and increase it back on loading. That's some heavy sculping you are doing.

Anyways, I don't think he went for sculping since he did vertex painting instead of poly painting. It looks more like he's doing some primitive based modeling with simple scaling and vertex editing.

Level 17
Yeah lol, the 5gb files are entire scenes though, 60~ objects or so. I export the entire scene from max and just hide/show objects I'm currently working on, because most of them are on a texture atlas and it is way more convenient than simply exporting, sculpting then baking and fitting texture of every single object separately.
Plus Mudbox has always been bad with filesizes. It can just so happen that your mere 8m poly character will take up 700mbs.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
(...)

Btw in what aspects of modeling are you more insterested at or what you want to achieve by learning blender?
Thank you for sharing, the advices and for being so compassionate. +rep

I admit my goals are soundly covetous. My intent was to produce original models for Warcraft III and then bake medieval models wholly constructed and animated from scratch for StarCraft II.

EDIT: Counsel on the right path to take would be most welcome! :smile:

Last edited:
Level 19
Heres my blender character idk why his head looks so dark :S

What do you guys think?

Btw idk about bones and stuff :/

BlinkBoy said:
you should try zBrush. It makes modeling a lot easier and way more srtistic. I think blender also has sculping capabilities.

and yes blender has sculpting too. I have shaped this body and head piece with using sculpting mostly

Attachments

• body with yaratık.png
    body with yaratık.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 67
Status
Not open for further replies.