• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Monster Master RPG II: The 13th Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Monster Master RPG II

Please find the source code here: https://github.com/sethmachine/mmrpg

See my post on this thread for disclaimers and usage.

The alpha has been uploaded to the thread. The map is also available on makemehost.com under the name "MMRPG2 Alpha v1.3.w3x" or "MonsterMasterRPG2.w3x"

You can download the map here: View attachment MMRPG2 Alpha v1.3.w3x

Try out the alpha, and feel free to send feedback/comments/questions/criticism. Post on the thread, send a PM, email ([email protected]), or even chat on battle.net (sethmachine@USEast).

As things stand, I will release a major new update to the alpha about every week or so.

25f3fbq.gif

The original GBC game which the map is based off of.

2s8irtz.png
Monster Master RPG II is an RPG based off the Game Boy Color games Dragon Warrior Monsters and Dragon Warrior Monsters II, with its namesake coming from Robbepop's Monster Master RPG.

The map also has sandbox elements like those found in video games such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, along with dynamically generated in-game content to keep you playing for hours on end.

Unlike most RPGs, players each manage not one but three heroes, or monsters, in addition to their human monster master.

A key part of the game is the search for finding and breeding the most powerful team of monsters. The map features a main story line as well, but after a certain point in the plot, players will not find it necessary to continue the main quest line to begin building their ultimate team of monsters, and can freely return to it at anytime.

Recommended Players: 1-10
Estimated gameplay time: 1-3 hours per session
Number of monsters: 146 currently
Maximum level: 99

2niv1uw.png
dcyp7m.jpg
Diverse cast of monsters: 100% done
There are ten monster families with a total of 145 unique monsters, many using awesome custom models generously provided by various artists on the hive.
dcyp7m.jpg
Intricate stat system: 100% done
With 8 different stats, there is a lot of variation and differentiation in the roles each monster can fulfill, making no two monster species functionally equivalent.
dcyp7m.jpg
Individual stat growth: 100% done
Each individual monster follows the average growth of its species in addition to its own personalized stat development, making even monsters of the same species unique.
dcyp7m.jpg
Automatic ability learning system: 100% done
Every monster has three native abilities it learns as it levels, the combination of which is unique to each species.
dcyp7m.jpg
Two-way ability system: 0% done
Monster abilities fall into two classes: field and battle skills. Field skills are generally only useful outside of battle (e.g. revive a dead monster, teleport to a city) while battle skills are the traditional auras, passives, AOEs, and so on.
dcyp7m.jpg
Complex breeding system: 0% done
Hatching the next generation of monsters is a trial-by-error process that rewards creativity and experimentation.
dcyp7m.jpg
Stat inheritance system: 0% done
Newly hatched monsters can inherit some of the individual stat growths of the parents, making each generation progressively stronger than the last.
dcyp7m.jpg
Ability inheritance system: 0% done
Baby monsters have a chance of inheriting a skill from both the father and the mother, bringing the maximum abilities of each monster to 5. The possibilities are limitless!
dcyp7m.jpg
Ultimate ability recipes: 0% done
Think of these abilities like an item recipe--if a monster already knows the required abilities, then it can learn a sixth, ultimate ability, which corresponds to that combination.
dcyp7m.jpg
Female character: 100% done
Players are able to select the gender of their monster master
dcyp7m.jpg
Character class system: 0% done
Players can specialize their monster master into one of several classes based on their preferred style of play.
dcyp7m.jpg
World interaction system: 100% done
Almost every NPC and named structure can be interacted with simply by right clicking on it with your monster master, as one would approach a person to talk to them or an object to use it.
dcyp7m.jpg
Monster recruit system: 100% done
Every time you defeat a monster it will consider joining you. Feeding it high quality meats greatly increases the chance.
dcyp7m.jpg
Monster farm: 100% done
In addition to having up to three monsters in your party, up to 10 additional monsters can be kept at the farm, eagerly awaiting to rejoin you on your adventures
dcyp7m.jpg
Monster library: 0% done
Visit the library to look up information on all the monster species you have bred or recruited.
dcyp7m.jpg
Creep system: 100% done
Wild monsters roam the overworlds and dungeons, and occasionally will ambush players.
dcyp7m.jpg
Item bank system: 100% done
Excess gold or items can be stored in a virtual item vault that can store up to 10 items.
dcyp7m.jpg
Virtual item backpack: 100% done
Players can manage up to 10 additional items virtually by selecting their hero and pressing the ESC key.
dcyp7m.jpg
Magic key system: 100% done
Accessing a world is as simple as having its magic key and using it on any magic door shrine.
dcyp7m.jpg
Quest API: 100% done
All quests are made through a concise vJASS API, allowing complex but easy to follow quests.
dcyp7m.jpg
Random world generation: 0% done
Many magic keys lead to non-quest worlds with their own randomly determined tileset, geography, towns, dungeons, monsters, and bosses.
dcyp7m.jpg
Random quests: 0% done
Many extra quests are randomly generated, giving players constantly a task to do.
dcyp7m.jpg
Quest points: 0% done
Completion of both scripted and random quests awards quests point, which are accumulated permanently.
dcyp7m.jpg
Dungeon system: 0% done
In many worlds players can come across optional dungeons, which leads to an item chest at the final floor.
dcyp7m.jpg
Item chest system: 0% done
Most dungeons feature their own item chest which is a random reward based on the difficulty of the dungeon.

wtiqp.png
e0l5c7.png
Monsters are what the the game centers around. They tend to resemble animals, mythical creatures, humanoids, and come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

5l1kjo.png

All monsters are capable of breeding with any other, so long as their genders are opposite. When a monster master breeds two monsters, they will leave behind an egg, but then leave forever on their honey moon.

sethmachine Presents

MONSTER MASTER RPG II: THE 13TH GATE
Created by sethmachine

Map Info:

Monster Master RPG II: The 13th Gate is an RPG based off both its namesake Dragon Warrior Monsters for the Game Boy Color, and Robbepop's Monster Master RPG. Unlike most RPGS, the player does not command a single hero, but rather a party of three loyal monsters (hero units) along with their monster master (the player character). The core mechanics of the gameplay are split into two parts: (1) progressing along the main plot and solving quests, and (2) breeding the most powerful team of monsters. The two are not mutually exclusive—to get further into the story, the player will need more powerful monsters. Likewise, to get access to rarer monsters, items, and better training areas, the player will need to move further along in the plot.

Map features

Features:

Monster Master RPG II: The 13th Gate retains several of the old mechanics of the original Monster Master RPG, but adds an abundance of new features and systems to enhance the gameplay experience. The following is a non-exhaustive list of some but not all of the features that will be in the finished map.

• Over 200 unique monsters to recruit, breed, and defeat
  • 8 different hero attributes for complex differentiation of each monster species
  • Intricate breeding system with both stat and skill inheritance
  • Random stat growth for each monster
  • 11 unique monster families
  • Monster library to keep track of every monster species you've had
  • Over a dozen worlds ranging from arid deserts to snowy mountaintops to volcanic plains
  • Myriad of castles, dungeons, cities, towns, villages, and NPCs in each world
  • Dark plot with a sinister twist
  • Randomly generated side quest worlds

Background and Story

Background and Story:

Thousands of years ago: A group of demon lords and their monster slaves waged a genocidal war against humanity, invading the human worlds and laying waste to all. But when humans learned to tame monsters, the tides slowly turned in their favor, and the demon lords began to retreat to their own worlds. In the final cataclysmic battle, the humans and their monster allies destroyed the King of the Demon Lords, along with his own world, once known as the 13th Gate. To prevent future invasions, a magical barrier was devised to prevent monsters from wandering into the human worlds. Since then there has been a lasting peace.

Today: In many human kingdoms, select few children who come of age are trained in the ways of the Monster Masters of old, so as to prepare future generations. They receive their very first monster companion, and then journey across the worlds, returning only when ready to serve. The kingdom of GreatBark is no exception, but the new monster masters of this age must face a threat the likes of which has not been seen for thousands of years. The magical barrier is waning, and nearly spent. There are reports of armies of monsters gathering and attacking. There are even whispers of the demon lords long defeated.

Civil War: The kingdoms of GreatTree and GreatLog, along with their leagues, believe that it is because of people's ignorance of the past and tradition that the barrier has weakened. So much so they have launched a desperate invasion against GreatBark, the kingdom where the barrier resides. The Monster Generals and armies of GreatBark have been spread thin, with no soldier or monster spared to uncover the reasoning behind the barrier's weakening.

Last hope: It is now up to the newest generation of up-and-coming Monster Masters, who are not of age to fight in the war, to journey across the worlds to find a way to repair the barrier or construct a new one altogether. Time is running out.

Monsters

Monsters and Monster Families

What are monsters?: Intelligent and sentient animal-like creatures capable of speech, all monsters are descended from a common species. While monsters have been classified into different families (consider these separate sub-species of monsters), any monster is capable of breeding with any other monster, provided they are of opposite genders and mature. In many worlds, humans co-exist with monsters, where they may fulfill roles as pets, companions, friends, workers, or even sometimes soldiers and guards. Above all, monsters both respect and fear those who are more powerful than them. Wild monsters are those which are hostile to humans or other monsters, but can be tamed by experienced Monster Masters.

Scholars agree on there being at least nine different monster families, although it is hotly debated whether a 10th exists. In the kingdom of GreatBark, there is a monster library with volumes of tomes describing at length the attributes of the different families and of each known monster species.

Beast Family: Beasts have forms which closely resemble those of land mammals, though there are some exceptions. Beasts were among the first monsters to be tamed, and are known for their extreme but blind loyalty. Most beasts lack natural defenses like scales. Beasts however are capable of brutal assaults on potential targets, in addition to their high staying power. Beasts grow at moderate rate, though not as quickly as Birds or Bugs.

359fvd2.png

A female King Magnataurus

Bird Family: Birds tend to take forms of avians, both those we are familiar with, but also those of mythical origins. Birds are fast but frail, and grow quite quickly.

w2f1b7.png

A male Zapbird

Bug Family: Bugs are similar to Birds in that they grow fast and are generally quick on the battle field, but some members have their own natural defenses.

rbcnc6.png

A male Armorpion

Devil Family: Devils take humanoid forms in many cases, and are among the most intelligent of all monsters. They make both capable warriors and spellcasters, but are difficult to tame and raise.

4q3bzr.png

A male Gate Guardian

Dragon Family: Dragons tend to resemble serpentine beasts, wyrms, or dinosaur-like animals. Of all the known families, scholars agree that Dragons constitute the most powerful and deadly of all monsters. Dragons are capable of fulfilling all sorts of roles, though they are known for their adept mastery of breath attacks and impervious scales. However, they are the hardest of all monsters to both raise and tame.

2ilnhw1.png

A female Battlerex

When will the map be out?

Expected Release date

I started working on the map when Robbepop handed over his Monster Master RPG project to me in early December/late November. I've been hard at work since writing all the code and systems for the map, in addition to doing the terrain and drafting the main story line.

Given that I just started learning (V)JASS almost a month ago, and that I'm also a full time student, and that all of the systems/code has to be written from scratch, I anticipate a testable and playable beta will not be released at latest by the end of February 2014. Optimistically the soonest would be the end of January 2014.
Promotional codes for Monster Master RPG

Promotional codes

When the release of this map approaches, I will be giving out promotional codes for Robbepop's Monster Master RPG to celebrate the new map. These codes will allow you to start a new character with a random level 1 ???-monster. Do not ask for any codes until I announce that I am giving them out. I will update this page when that happens.

How can I get involved?

Helping out

I'm open to all sorts of suggestions and comments. If you've got an idea for a mechanic or feature to add to the map, feel free to discuss it here or on the Monster Master RPG page.

Right now I am also looking for a terrainer. If you're good at it and would be interested send me a PM or post here.

Credits

Credits

I would like to of course give a special thanks to Robbepop for both making his wonderful map Monster Master RPG and giving me the motivation to get started on this project by passing his over to me, along with the unprotected map to work alongside of. Without any of that I would have never gotten started.

I'd also like to thank the hiveworkshop community for being very helpful in answering questions about the editor, JASS, and just about anything to do with mapmaking.

There are more thanks to be given to specific names as well (models, in depth help, etc.); I'll put these up near the actual beta release.

Credits to these wonderful people for the models used:

Battlerex / Gnaraya: Callahan

Armorpion / ArchnathidMachine: CreatorD3292
Contact

Contact

Contact me here by PM or posting in either this thread or Robbepop's Monster Master RPG. I am also available over email at [email protected] (please no spam).

Last edited:
Level 1
You said the magic words! I am definitely supporting this project!!!!!!(magic words are secret codes and monsters)

Level 11
Hiho,

I was the former project developer of this map and I am really proud to say that sethmachine really has the motivation it needs to maintain such a huge project!

After two guys failed at overtaking this map it seem we finally found the right guy for this! ;-)

You should definitely taste this map and at least I am looking forward to future releases of hi work and versions of this map. =)

Robbepop

Level 6
This is great news! Was looking for a new game on Warcraft 3 to play and this one looks like it may be it. Only played a little bit of Monster Master RPG, but I still enjoyed it. I really liked the concept of it and I had to look up Dragon Warrior Monsters to get a better idea of what this newer game will be. Will the combat system be similar to the original MMRPG or Dragon Warrior Monsters? Possibly a mix? Adding a little story line to the game makes it more appealing to me. I hope all goes as planned and if you needed a tester or some ideas I'd be happy to help!

Level 15
@Awsan I would not call it pokemon in warcraft III--while it is true Dragon Warrior Monsters I did come out after Pokemon Red/Blue and before Silver/Gold and it's not impossible to say it had no influence from Red/Blue, the game is actually a spinoff from the original Dragon Warrior Quest series by Enix, which existed far before Pokemon. All the monsters had already existed in those games (and in fact in some cases you could get them to fight for you, but mostly they were just bad guys). The breeding system of Dragon Warrior Monsters was quite revolutionary, and existed before Pokemon had one. There are no doubt some parallels, but it's not some pokemon clone, and in fact the only similarity is that you control a party of monsters.

No screenshots yet as I haven't done the terrain work yet. But I'll be updating the page here periodically to reflect the progression of the map.

@APproject Thanks for pointing that out, fixed the link to the original Monster Master RPG.

@Electrolyte I'm glad you've tried out the original game. I am trying to recreate that experience. However the combat system will likely be the same as in Robbepop's (i.e. realtime warcraft 3 hero battles).

I am excited for having a plot as well. There will be details on it when I finalize it.

I appreciate the offer for testing. When the map is actually testable then I will send out a notice and just be sure to respond.

Level 6
@Awsan I would not call it pokemon in warcraft III--while it is true Dragon Warrior Monsters I did come out after Pokemon Red/Blue and before Silver/Gold and it's not impossible to say it had no influence from Red/Blue, the game is actually a spinoff from the original Dragon Warrior Quest series by Enix, which existed far before Pokemon. All the monsters had already existed in those games (and in fact in some cases you could get them to fight for you, but mostly they were just bad guys). The breeding system of Dragon Warrior Monsters was quite revolutionary, and existed before Pokemon had one. There are no doubt some parallels, but it's not some pokemon clone, and in fact the only similarity is that you control a party of monsters.

Ok. I'm excited to see what this project will bring.

Last edited:
Level 3
Will the IVs in this game be like pokemon where you can get a max IV value for each stat? Like can you get a monster with max ivs for each stat and a monster with the lowest values with each stat and will there be a way to check IVs?

Level 6
As you posted in the maps sections on MMRPG

"Original 3 attributes
1. Defense (formerly Agility) - increases armor rating
2. Intelligence - increases mana regen, and allows monster to learn new skills/higher level ones. Does not increase mana.
3. Strength - increases hp regen, and allows monster to carry heavier items
or equipment
Extended attributes
4. Agility - increases attack speed of monster
5. Attack - increases base damage of monster
6. HP - increases health of monster
7. Mana - increases mana of monster
8. Spell Resistance / SP - increases spell resistance of monster"

I think these changes will be good ones, but it will depend on the values and item stats. One thing about the defense is the damage reduction. I never got far in MMRPG so I don't know how high armor values could get and the amount of damage reduction a unit would have. But I don't think the values work well. Armor seemed less important than life and life regen. It didn't reduce enough damage, but then again I never got too high of a level. Also with adding new families have you considered adding custom attack and defense types for different types of units? To make them more unique.

Level 15
@felixng

Yes there are in fact IVs for each attribute (so each monster has 8 IVs). I have not decided how players will interact with these. But I believe the breeding mechanic will be a way to slowly increase the offspring's IVs, so overtime and many breeds you can *possibly* get a monster with good IVs. Again there won't be a 100% way to increase IVs (because then any persistent player can eventually get there by breeding over and over again).

For now attribute growth itself is not deterministic (unlike Pokemon), so even a monster with slightly worse IVs could have higher attributes than a monster with better IVs, but of course these stay within some range (so e.g. all "Golem" monsters end up with high defense no matter what).

@Electrolyte

The armor value/agility did not play much of a role in the original probably because Robbepop wanted to avoid the usual agility hero domination (since agility would increase both dps and armor!). That's my hypothesis at least. Most of a monster's damage output or armor value (without spells) probably is meant to come from strong items.

Stats will still be more important, since there will be ways to slowly increase stats over time (breeding or special growth items). Fusion/+ levels however will no longer play any role in increasing attributes.

Again though it's impossible for me to say how things will end up, as I will need it to be tested how the 8 stats actually balance out, which will take a good amount of time to figure out.

Yes I have very much been considering using the attack/armor types to further diversify the monsters (pierce, normal, etc.). I know for sure all ???-monsters will get chaos damage, if I go this route. I might keep Warcraft's matchups (e.g. pierce beats light armor, normal beats medium, etc.) or devise my own, but I know for sure chaos damage will be in there for the ???-monsters.

Level 2
How will spells work out? Will there be 3 to each like before, or do you have something different planned? Will there be different spells? Will an offensive magic monster be viable, unlike in the original?

Level 15
How will spells work out? Will there be 3 to each like before, or do you have something different planned? Will there be different spells? Will an offensive magic monster be viable, unlike in the original?

@Noxx

From my initial designs, I will be keeping the triad skill system in place (this is how it worked in the original GBA game, monsters learned 3 skills).

Here is my initial architecture for the skill system (I have not expanded the project post yet, because I'm not ready to)

All monsters can learn up to 5 abilities.

Each monster always gets 3 abilities it knows--the combination of which is species specific.

Abilities fall into several classes:

1. Passives (these only affect the monster, but are permanent). These are the most coveted and take the highest intelligence to learn.

2. Auras (usually affect the monster and all allied/enemy monsters). These are nearly just as good if not better than passive, again should be hardest to learn.

3. Healing/reviving spells. These are incredibly useful for long journies.

4. Autocasts (require little to no micro). These are pretty handy, and again should require a decent amount of intelligence.

5. Field skills. These generally do not help in combat, but rather aid in surviving out on the field. E.g. "outside" will instantly move a player out of a dungeon.

6. Damage spells / AOEs / Summons

7. Non-autocast buffs.

2. All monsters should receive at least one passive skill, one aura skill, one autocast skill, one field skill, or one healing skill.

NO monster will be allowed to receive more than one passive/aura skill except by breeding. Passives/auras will be harder to inherit.

Additionally, bred monsters will randomly inherit one learned skill from parent A, and one learned skill from parent B.
Some learned skills are harder to inherit (e.g. a passive versus a damage AOE).

Constraints:
1. Bred monsters can only inherit those skills which parents have already learned
comment: this might be abusable, since players could decide which skills their new monster will inherit
if they breed the parents before they learn their second skill.
I should make sure that early learned skills are not op (e.g. a monster inherits two passives/auras!).

However, monsters will be able to acquire up to six skills total.

I will definitely be adding many different skills.

To get more than the monster's native 3 skills, offspring monsters (those bred) can inherit one skill from the mother and one skill from the father. That leads to five skills total and many unique combinations.

Of course, there are some rules with inheritance (it's almost impossible to inherit an aura or passive skill--very low chance), and also learning skills in general is a bit more difficult (monster requires a certain level of Intelligence for each skill level, linearly). Each skill will also have at least 6 levels.

Finally, there will be ultimate skills. This are learnable by any monster if they know certain skills already (think of it like a recipe so to speak). So say a monster knows Holy Light, Rejuvenation, and Healing Wave. Then at some point they might acquire Tranquility (Love Rain). This is just a hypothetical example, but to give you an idea.

Unfortunately, I can't see a way of preventing a smart human opponent from targeting the offensive magic monster which usually have been weaker in the endurance/survivability side. Unless I change the nature of PvP combat. But you can make anything work I'm sure against the computer.

I've done crazy battles on the original before (all ??? monsters with fusion level 60), which can go on almost indefinitely, but I actually found that monsters with high DPS magic skills win rather than super tanky monsters.

Level 2
The new skill system sounds promising, but I'm not a big fan of the idea of low chance to (almost impossible like you said) inherit auras/passives. That will turn up being a huge breedfest if you ask me :) which won't be that enjoyable I'm afraid.

Level 15
The new skill system sounds promising, but I'm not a big fan of the idea of low chance to (almost impossible like you said) inherit auras/passives. That will turn up being a huge breedfest if you ask me :) which won't be that enjoyable I'm afraid.

@Lawlfool

Well the game would get quite boring if someone gets things like Critical Strike, Bash, Evasion, all on a single monster. One can argue passives/auras are the easiest skill to use (requires 0 APM), and I don't doubt players would want to capitalize on these skills. Keep in mind that unlike the original, a monster's base attack stat increases when it levels up. So some of these skills can become even more deadly.

Breeding the ultimate team of monsters is a separate part of the game--it will take lots of time, and is not necessary to actually beat it. In the original GBA game, my cartridge has over 255 hours logged onto it! But it only took about 10-20 hours to actually beat the plot of the game.

Level 2
@Lawlfool

Well the game would get quite boring if someone gets things like Critical Strike, Bash, Evasion, all on a single monster. One can argue passives/auras are the easiest skill to use (requires 0 APM), and I don't doubt players would want to capitalize on these skills. Keep in mind that unlike the original, a monster's base attack stat increases when it levels up. So some of these skills can become even more deadly.

Breeding the ultimate team of monsters is a separate part of the game--it will take lots of time, and is not necessary to actually beat it. In the original GBA game, my cartridge has over 255 hours logged onto it! But it only took about 10-20 hours to actually beat the plot of the game.

What I meant is that, I only dislike the idea of having a low chance of success when breeding monsters for these passives/auras. You can either get really lucky with breeding and get the perfect team in a few hours OR you could get really unlucky and spend countless of days breeding and breeding and still not get those monsters to inherit the extra passive/aura. Maybe you could make the system more "fair" instead of just about luck.

This comes from a guy who has played a lot of rpgs and have been known for extremely bad luck with drops etc..

Lady Luck's a bitch! :p

Level 2
I love this map the moment i played it so happy it finally updated AFTER 5 years :"""((( Tears of joy~~

Level 15
@sonofjay

Everything is being made from scratch, including the terrain. However it's no secret that I'm not really a terrainer/artist so the terrain will be functional but not mind blowing. My hopes is though a terrainer will become interested in helping once the map is released and people like it enough, as I've had no luck getting a terrainer to work on it, so I'm rolling my own terrain.

What I will improve upon is the complexity of the monsters and breeding system, along with adding many quests, NPCs, and worlds to explore that aren't linear (they have towns, cities, dungeons, etc.). I'm also working on a way to ease the excessive grinding from Robbepop's MMRPG.

@goodguard4

No unfortunately it hasn't been released yet. Still working on it 24/7 though! Check the original post (OP) occasionally, as I will update it to reflect the progress of the map and information about its features/systems!

Last edited:
Level 15
I already volunteered to help with terrain, among other things, remember?

Of course I remember!

I had sent you a PM, but from what I read it sounded like you may have been too occupied to start making terrain.

Also I think there was a failure of communication, as I thought you might not have liked the schematics I sent for the level designs. But I will send you another PM!

Thanks for reminding me!

Level 15
Screenshots up!

Hi,

I've added some screenshots, be sure to check them out! First five monster families are done (83 different heroes). Five more to go...

Level 3
What I meant is that, I only dislike the idea of having a low chance of success when breeding monsters for these passives/auras. You can either get really lucky with breeding and get the perfect team in a few hours OR you could get really unlucky and spend countless of days breeding and breeding and still not get those monsters to inherit the extra passive/aura. Maybe you could make the system more "fair" instead of just about luck.

This comes from a guy who has played a lot of rpgs and have been known for extremely bad luck with drops etc..

Lady Luck's a bitch! :p

I have to agree I hate relying too much on RNG.

Hey mate, I started playing MM with my brother recently, and I would be glad to help you :D
Here are the self-estimated grades on my skills:

Modeling 6.5/10
I can edit meshes, do geomerging, am introduced to particles, ribbons, lights, omnilights, etc. I can also make animations. I kinda suck at UV wrapping.
Texturing 4/10
I can do simple stuff here, but nothing too good actually :/
GUI 8/10
There are really not many things I can't do here.
JASS 1/10
Tried once, failed a couple of times before getting the code from the tutorial right. Gave up.
Terrain 9/10
This is where I shine. I think I have a great taste for selecting appropriate resources, and can make many different ambients :D

Also, I have several ideas for this map :D I am awaiting a reply :)

Level 15
@Everyone about the RNG stuff

I'd be hard pressed to make it possible to decide which skills a monster inherits from its parents, as well genetics doesn't work that way, and making what one might consider the ultimate monster/skillset is a different part of the game from completing quests/the actual plotline. So it's only necessary for those who really want their vision of a perfect team, and yes I would expect it to take many hours of breeding and grinding to get it right.

I am also considering making breeding combinations probabilistic too. This would given an incentive for players to try various combinations, since we all know everyone looks up the fusion charts for Robbepop's MMRPG. I might also tailor the breeding system to each player, using their name or some private ID which individualizes their breeding. That means that if for Player B breeding Monster X and Monster Y makes Monster Z half the time, for Player A breeding Monster X and Monster Y never makes Monster Z, but might make monster W half the time.

@Matija

TLI-Inferno is currently working on the terrain, but if you're good at it, there may be room for another helping hand, as we aren't too far on terrain.

Send me a private message with your ideas and we can go from there.

Level 2
Something that comes to mind right now when I read the extensive grinding part.
It is possible to use the Warcraft Partroling ability of the Units to grind for XP and Gold. But not in all the Lvls (cause of disables which also disable the patroling command)(It was only really successfull in Area 4).
But I think there are 2 options for this ..allowing it in general ..or somehow making it impossible.

As far as testing is concerned I would gladly help out (I have an estimate of 300hours of playing the Version by Robbepop...if you need some Help writing plot lines, dialogs and stuff I could also help...but I have no talent for scripting anything therefore I wouldnt be much help there.

Corby

Level 15
@Corby

I am quite aware of the patrol trick on world 4. It won't be hard to deal with as you can detect when a unit is given a patrol order. I just then order it to stop patrolling ^^.

I also know about how much grinding was required in robbepop's MMRPG. I'm working on designing the map so it doesn't require hours and hours of grinding to advance the plot, but rather in the midst of completing quests you'll have battled many foes.

Level 2
Hey I just met you,and this is crazy ,galactcus wants to be your terrainer ,so call him maybe XDD

when will we be able to play first v of this? :) sry if its silly question

Level 15
some updates

Hi everyone,

Thanks for being so patient.

I've still been working on the map around the clock, but I spent about a week solving a complicated issue.

I updated the first half of the OP to make it look 'nicer' and added a long list of map features. Next to each map feature you will find its brief description, along with a percent of how far it is completed. Obviously most of them are 0% but a good 1/4 are completely done. The OP will eventually serve as the manual/basic guide for the map and will outline + explain every mechanic of the game, so it can be used as a reference once the map is released (alpha or beta).

You will note that the rest of the post doesn't fit with the new stuff. So its sort of in the middle of a rough draft, and I find making these posts look good a difficult art.

I've got my academic commitments beginning to pull at me, and so my progression on the map will slow down. There won't be a test release at the end of this month unfortunately ;[. I will say end of February is the optimistic date for the testing phase of the map. The first released beta probably won't be released until late spring / the start of the summer. But I am still available for questions, discussions, comments, criticism, etc. as I'll keep updating the OP for news and progression ^^

To address the questions of the previous posts:

@Lawlfool

Yes there are some updates put up in the OP. Check out the features section now ^^

@Strikest

DrizztDoUrden is right on the money. This not an extension of MMRPG, but a completely new map. That would be like playing an RPG, beating it, and then when the second one comes out, you get to re-use all your uber characters. Imagine how boring an RPG is if you start off god-like from the get-go. The new method of saving/loading won't involve any codes, it will be a codeless save system.

However, you might have been confused about my other statement. A few weeks before the release of the beta, I will hand out promotional codes for the first MMRPG (by Robbepop). These promotional codes will let you start a new character in that game with a random ??? monster as your starter.

Level 15
You mean u'll read/write to file? Last time I talked to Robbepop he was saying that's bad idea cuz of registry moddifying.
Though I think it is a good idea cuz u just can save tons of shit which u can't compress to one chat message and else.

Well it's a double edged sword for sure. I haven't researched the exact mechanism of the codeless save system, but I know that there are some special things that each player has to do if they want to use it.

On the other hand, it's possible to do it with the standard save system. But it would require dozens of load strings. You would basically have to be prompted about 10 times to enter a separate code string. That's a lot more work than making a quick change to the registry or whatever needs to be done.

Monster Master RPG II tracks a lot of knowledge. I let players save at least 13 monsters, each of which have their own unique stats (so you can't just rebuild them, since stat growth is partially randomized). Those are integer values (4 digits) and there are 8 stats = 8 x 4 = 52 4-digit integers just for the stats. Now this doesn't include keeping track of quests completed, how far the player completed the quest. I also am keeping track of every monster a player has made (a pokedex) and that requires a single digit integer for each monster (a total of 145 now), so we have another 145 (0's and 1's) to keep track of. There's also the player's hero level and so on, in addition to other virtual items I keep track of.

So you can see a code less save system is ideal, since there's just so much information each player has to re-load. The codes for mMRPG are relatively short because monsters always grow to the same stats, so Robbepop only had to keep track of six 2-digit integers, a 2-digit value for the player's hero level, a 5 or 6 digit value for gold, a 2-digit value for lumber, and 6 more 2-digit numbers for items. So if you remember the size of that code, it would require about a string a few dozen times that length to save all the information. Again it's possible, but incredibly annoying.

Level 11
Hiho,

I am eagerly looking forward to all those new things you have introduced and I am curious about how well the community will take the registry changes into account to play the map correctly.

When I worked on the map there were no known techniques (at least not for me) which allowed one to store data to disk or even read from it that's why I always had to find the best possible solution to store as least data as possible which decreased the overall game depth ...

You however are limitless and can create cool things of which I have always dreamed of. =)

This will definitely be awesome!

Robbepop

Level 2
I am very excited by this new version! I hope to be one of the first to test it...

i have played about 100 hours in MMRPG v 0.59b and still playing i have all the fusions possible and more...

I hope this new map exceeds my expectations...

Robbepop you deserve my congratulations, I lost hours and hours playing your map. you're the man.

and hope that sethmachine can do more then u!!!!!!!!

from now my thanks!!!!!!

Level 15
update on map ^^

Hi guys,

I've received a bunch of emails and messages asking when the map will be released.

Unfortunately I'm still finishing up my last semester of college and so the project will be hiatus until the summer. I've done a lot of coding and scripting but there's still much to be done. Here's an image of the various code I've written.

I'll keep updating this thread as the project progresses. Thank you all for your patience.

s31xkg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.