• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling & Animation Mini-Contests ~ Less Is More

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture60629.png

160036-albums4747-picture64713.png

160036-albums4747-picture64607.png

Your task is to create a low-poly model, which by definition should be consisted of 400 triangles or less.

160036-albums4747-picture59735.png

160036-albums4747-picture64714.png

160036-albums4747-picture59734.png

• Deolrin
  • Frankster

160036-albums4747-picture59736.png

• Every model must have calculated extents and a collision shape object.
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the Model Submission Rules, the creator can be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format (*.mdx and the *.blp files, if it uses custom textures).
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as a proof that it's yours (Work In Progrss).
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed, but providing feedback to other contestants is strongly encouraged.
  • Pre-work is not allowed. The model must be specifically made for the Modelling & Animation Mini-Contest ~ Less Is More.

160036-albums4747-picture59727.png

The Modelling & Animation Mini-Contest "Less Is More" shall begin on 6th of January and conclude on 21st of January.

Last edited:
Level 28
Sounds good. It would be even more cool if there was a "High Poly" contest :) cuz people could create some amazing stuff there :\ though... modelers here are really good so I expect some good submissions! I wish all of you guys to have the best model :\ which is kinda impossible cuz only 1 model wins ;( but still :D do your best!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Skrab, I rather like that little dude. Looks more like a 'Gremlin' than a 'Troll' to me, personally. :p

~~~

Guys, this contest is the perfect opportunity to do something for the community... Something that few have done before... Something that is truly needed in this dark, lonesome world...

Someone in this contest seriously has to make some alternate Goblins. I am sure I'm not alone when I say I'm tired of seeing a great Goblin model... And the goblin-pilot is just one of the Sappers, Tinker, or Alchemist cut-n-paste onto the cockpit.

Rise up, my comrades! Rise up from the dust and be men!

~~~

TL;DR - Someone make different Goblins plz. :p

Getting Particles to look good is rather difficult work. I'll probably have to tweak a bit more until I'll be satisfied.

I'm making attachment and missile versions. My entry for the contest will be the missile.

Anyway, presenting some Screenshots of the current mesh (hopefully final) and the particles and ribbons.

Attachments

• Attackments.jpg
    Attackments.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 191
  • InUse.jpg
    InUse.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Magos.jpg
    Magos.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 191
A technical question here for the sake of other contestants:

Are particles included in the poly limit or are they independent?

Let's change it this time and exclude them from final calculation.

On a different note, Statharas, portrait should be included, if it's a unit, if you go for an attachment, it's not mandatory, obviously.

Question:
Would a separate portrait model be independent of the 400 tris?

No, since both of them are connected to one submission, which should follow the contest's theme. :]

this issue is wrong...

in-game portrait consumes HD, yes.

but they are always separate. the engine will draw 1 model in the model space, and 1 model in the portrait area. so, if my model has 400 polygons and built-in portrait, the engine will draw 800 polygons

so it comes down to having no reason to "sum" portrait + model to reach 400. portrait-less models will go to a maximum of 800 in-game anyway...

it does follow the contest purpose, though, to make that potrait model not exceed 400. (although it doesnt follow functionality, since there will be only 1 portrait model in scene at a time)

Level 14
So what now can we make two separate models one that is 400 polygons or less and another the portrait that is 400 polygons or less?
Or should we make a model 400 polygons or less that has an incorporated portrait?
I dont think that it is going to be fair to compare submissions that have 400 polygons to submissions that have 800(400 model and 400 portrait).
If this "the portrait is separate so it does not count to the 400 polygons of the model" is adopted than I can simply buff up a 400 polygons model with about 4 separate attachment models of 100 polygons, making the model 800 polygons without breaking the rules because attachments are separate from a model.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
^Pharaoh (or another admin/mod) should probably be gone to as the authority on the matter.

-Supa, if I hadn't seen your original model, I would not believe that it was within triangle budget. Amazing texture-work.

Eubz, how do you manage to port models in 3dsMax2011 into Wc3?

Status
Not open for further replies.