1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modeling Resource: Customized Vertex Editor

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by Retera, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Just opened your newest (.17, right? Should probably link that back on the first post) version for kicks... Noticed a teensy little spelling error that, while not worthy of it's own update, might hopefully make it into your next one. : )

On the "Texture Coordinate Editor", upon clicking "Load Image", the "Load Image" question-box has the phrase "to find avaiable textures". The word you want there is "available".

2. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Today I learned there's a rollout menu in the "Import Existing Animation Visibility" field. All the particles and attachment nodes go to the bottom and the geoset visibility data was at the top of the list, so I wasn't seeing it.

3. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm a bit concerned... I wanted to do some quick modeling work the past two days, and I've been working with the Matrix Eater V17 that I released rather than the version in my code editor, just for the sake of ease of use.

I've been seeing an issue I haven't pinned down exactly, but where I think the program is deleting all of the models I make with it. It's something to do with saving them as MDX files, and the program flagging the MDXs as temporary files.

This is a tremendous issue because it means anybody who has used the new version of the software to save MDX files may have had some or all of their progress and the models they made deleted at some point by the code a while after they were working.

Has anyone else experience this issue, and does anyone have any pointers about where in the code I should look to fix it? I had encountered it with an older version of the MDL->MDX java function I wrote, but I really thought I had it fixed.

4. z00rtaz

z00rtaz

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I had this issue, so I've taken the habit to never save my models using the same names. I -think- the easiest way to cause it to happen is to import one .mdx into another .mdx, and then save said model as an .mdl, without editing names.

Apart from that, I have a suggestion for future updates. Matrices that don't have a set bone, could your tool create and assign all those to Bone_Temp or somesuch? Would make importing less tedious when you only want to import the mesh of something, and rig it later outside the import. Right now you have to manually set all matrices to a bone if the models do not share bone names.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ^ is a really good idea. I hate that too.

A lot of times when I'm in the 3d art mindset, and not the programming mindset, I just go and use the "Re-assign matrix" thing on the model before I import it, or import it all to the glitchy empty setting where it assigns it no bone, then "Re-assign matrix" after it's imported so it's all just on one click.

--> As a note, since I was at my computer just now I was looking into this. I'm confused by the fact that I already see code to do exactly that - always add the ObjectID-0 bone to the list if it's an empty list -- but it clearly doesn't actually do that in production.
    I'll have to look deeper in the code.

6. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've been having troubles with .mdx as well, so I've stuck to using .mdl's.

7. z00rtaz

z00rtaz

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Jebus do I feel like dumbass now, clicking every goshdarn matrix.

8. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Don't discount the fact that I built an interface that encouraged you to believe you had to click every single matrix. Adding some kind of button for that would be pretty nice.

Edit: Not supposed to double post, but I just fixed 4 things in the matrix eater code:

1. "Tool" dropdown activates after a model fetch
    2. Temporary MDLs and MDXs should not be deleted in any case
    3. Some guy asked for a animation length slider bar, so I drafted one up that (seems) to work (see picture)
    4. When importing a model set to invalid matrices, a dummy bone is created for the imported mesh. (See the new error message in the images below.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    looks like I'm a little confused on the last add-ons
    but will try it out, :)

10. z00rtaz

z00rtaz

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Wow, you work fast! And thanks for saving my lazy ass 3-5 extra clicks! Cant test it atm but will as soon as Im back from greece.

11. z00rtaz

z00rtaz

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I just acquired a copy of Windows 8.1, attempting to open any model gave me an error message and won't load the textures of said model (I do run it as administrator),
    "initGL failed because of this exact reason:
    UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\MatrixEater3DV0.17B_Windows\JStormLib32.dll: Can't find dependent libraries"
    I can see the file in the proper directory, so I'm at loss.

12. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't currently have any sort of Windows 8.1 machine to test on, but I have a hunch about something since I don't know enough about Windows 8.1.

This sounds super silly, but try this: rename "JStormLib32.dll" to "JStormLib32_not_used.dll" inside your Matrix Eater folder, then rename "JStormLib64.dll" to "JStormLib32.dll".

Let me know if it gives the same error message, a different one, or nothing at all.

13. z00rtaz

z00rtaz

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Followed your instructions, no change regarding the visuals.
    The new error message:

"initGL failed because of this exact reason:
    UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\MatrixEater3DV0.17B_Windows\JStormLib32.dll: Can't load AMD 64-bit .dll on a IA 32-bit platform"

If you want to fix this problem and want more error logging from me, we could go through pm's to save your thread ugly error messages.

14. JokeMaster

JokeMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey retera i have a question, is it possible to make mirrored animations/ bones?
    Explaation: I need to make a lefthanded archer and all in game archers beside the skeleton are righthanded.

15. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @JokeMaster Yes. It is not only possible, but easy to do with the matrix eater. In order to mirror animations like this, you must select the Pivot Points that represent the bones you wish to mirror.
    In other words, to mirror an Archer, open the Archer, then go to the second tab on the View Controller, and check the top 2 boxes for viewing and editing pivot points. Then, select the entire model, making sure not to miss anything. Push "Tools -> Mirror X" and you'll have an archer who shoots with the other hand. I specifically coded this to mirror animations as well as shape when you do it that way, because I wanted that feature also.

@z00rtaz You got me with that one, it's not going to be as easy to fix as I thought. What you've told me means that Java is finding the library (hence it can complain about whether its 32 or 64 bit), but your computer is loading a 32-bit library with a 32-bit Java virtual machine (like it should be doing) and it's still not working.

A little online research suggests that your Windows 8.1 computer is missing some particular DLL files that were referenced by the newer JStormLib when it was created by the original authors (from the Matrix Eater credits). As I am not actually familiar with how that library was written -- but rather with what it does -- I'd have to do more research about what dependency DLL files you might need. PMing is probably a good idea, so maybe I'll throw you a message if I figure more out.

16. JokeMaster

JokeMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    WOW that's awsome and even works as it should, now after renaming the bones back to their originals( switching the left/right names) i can transfer the normal anims again, time to create a proper archer.

EDIT: Ok I've got another question, can i simply import animations without importing the rest of the model so that the base model utilizes both animation sets?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  17. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, but it takes more clicking in the import dialog. You have to tell it explicitly what you want, essentially.

So, you push "Leave All" on the Geosets Tab, "Import All" on the Animations Tab, but then do "Motion From All" in the bones tab -- so it knows you don't want any new bones or stuff like that, you just want the motion of the imported character on the current one (but in all new animation sequences).

You'll have to set a couple of other things for your import, like Visibility settings.

Also, you probably want "Leave All" on objects, but if there are any cool fire effects in the animation or something that you want to import, you might want to import them, too.

A lot of times if you try to do that it might not work out, also, because the program guesses how to map one guy's animations onto the other based on bone names. That doesn't sound important, but it means if the footman's left shoulder was named "Bone_Arm1L" and the bandit's left shoulder was named "Bone_ArmUpperL01", then it would not move the animation because the names don't match. But wait, there's more...

That was the old problem with the oinkerwinkle animation transferer, which is why in the matrix eater you can manually override it all. So, if your transfer doesn't work, you gotta go into the Bones tab and click around to say that you want to map a shoulder to a shoulder and etc., and tell it how to map it (which takes more clicking). But, it can almost always be done and work out pretty well, as long as the characters in the models are both the same shape (both person-shaped, for example).

Checkout this video, it might help a little!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqzAkMUNZxU

18. JokeMaster

JokeMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I made sure that the bone names are identicall, i changed all regular skeleton bones to exact the same names and to almost perfectly fitting positions, time to try it out.

19. Hayate

Hayate

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    my norton antivirus keep deleting blplabcl.exe any solution to let it ignore it?
    i restore it and trust it couple of time and it is still removing it

20. JokeMaster

JokeMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Add it manualy to exceptions? Most anti viruses have such an option, well atleas those that i used - Kaspersky, AVG and Avast had.