1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modeling Contest #26 - STEAMPUNK

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by MiniMage, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Posing looks good so far, though rather... 'rickety'? Where's the TeamColor going?

HappyCockroach, I believe he was being sincere when he said "is this satisfactory", rather than sarcastic as you seem to have assumed.

2. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    oh. sorry :|
    I was sure you were using an irritated tone with the "hope you are satisfied now". well, that would have been ridiculous. but english isn't my first language and i'm not so good at detecting 'tones'. well, whatever, all is fine then. i'll check your model in a while, spawned effects only show in-game and i'm lazy :v

and thanks, i guess i'll make it, my progress been steady and fast paced

where is teamcolour going..... good question. ._.

i still don't know. it should go somewhere better than just a hero glow.

and its rickety is something you'll need to put up with cos im alread animating :p

3. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    you could try team colored particles

4. Callahan

Callahan

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You say Kellym0 made the animations.And in the submitted model section it is "by [Kellym0] and [MiniMage]".
    I remember it's not allowed to have several person working on the same entry for a contest.
    You can recieve help if he answers you a question or explain you how to do something but doing the whole animation for you is kind of unfair for other contestant who may be poorly skilled at animating but still tried something by themself.

5. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Actually, to be quite honest. The rules does not specify that.
    So you want me to withdraw my entry?

Btw, what happened to Proxy's entry? He appeared so eager to begin in the start.
    Also, 10 Hours and 55 minutes left until the contest officially ends.

6. Callahan

Callahan

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I remember someone got DQ from a past modeling contest for doing something similar.Also I remember some dudes asked to enter as a team in a contest and got refused.
    Also as Happycoakroach said :
    Animation is included in "other people's work".

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can't believe it... But he's right. I can't seem to find anywhere in the Rules (nor in mine, which I painstakingly crafted for MC#25) about "being the sole author of your model".

That's a massive oversight, I must say. :<

8. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    So; Should I or should I not remove my participation?

Oh and I edited those rockets/torpedos so that that you don't have to replace anything.
    It's in the same post they were talking about. I just updated that one after that guy said that.

I don't really care if I am in the contest or not, I just want a clear answer what you guys want me to do.
    I personally love the submarine and I found the contest to be a great motivator to work on it. If you don't want me to participate, I wont.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  9. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Considering we already got 3 judges, I think it would be best if you stay.
    The rules themselves do not specify that teamwork is not allowed, which i'm sure is a mistake, so I guess we can look this over for this contest atleast.
    Make sure to avoid the teamwork in future contests though, it really isn't fair to the other people (I suck at animations lol) who make their whole model on their own. And you'd do good to add such a rule for future contests aswell.

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, that really depends, but to be honest, it's not up to us; we'll need someone in authority (since you are a Moderator & moreover started this contest). In my opinion, while this should be the case for all future contests (like I said, massive oversight), you technically didn't break any explicit rules, so meh. Leave it be & we'll fix the problem next time.

Well that's awful humble of you. : ) I'm sure something equitable will be decided.

And yeah, I definitely understand the latter sentiment; I get the same exact feeling from Techtree & Hero contests (a great motivator, forcing me to get off my duff & actually mod for once rather than planning or talking about it). Good stuff.

11. PROXY

PROXY

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I'm quite sure there was a rule in earlier contests that it could only be your work.

Also, what would have been the point of the team-modelling contests where the point was to FINALLY TEAM UP WITH SOMEONE for a contest.

It was always obvious for everybody most of the time that it had to be a solo work anyway, no offense.

I don't really care anyway. I totally lost the motivation and worked on something else, blame the inner dog in me.

12. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I too agree that it is (for the most part) 'obvious' (hence my utter confusion that it wasn't actually 'written down' as a rule), but like I said, he didn't explicitly do wrong. Perhaps at worst, he could be asked to remove KellyM0's contribution (just the animations, right?) and provide his own (probably ported over from some other ship or something). But maybe not even that.

And sure, blame the dog. :p "My dog ate my homework!" "My dog ate my motivation!". Lawl.

13. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    LOL, really? lack of motivation PROXY, too bad:/

14. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    - Clockwork Horror -

[​IMG]
    A contraption designed by the Undead to be an "undead" out of things that never had life. It is meant to be a beast raised out of the assembly of dead machinery. It may eventually lose its own parts, and regain them at a later time. Able to cannibalize debris and regain health. Might as well rebuild its own wings by eating old iron junk.​
    Cannibalize Preview
    [​IMG]

Alternate Form
    [​IMG]

Technical Info

Average polycount in-game: 790 polys.
    Average polycount at alternate form: 950 polys.
    (particles are included in the polycount)

Attack Point: 0.333
    Attack Backswing: 0.750
    Attack Point (Alternate Form): 0.720
    Attack Backswing (Alternate): 0.900
    Animation Walk Speed: 100
    Animation Run Speed: 400 (Or 2000 if you want it to always perform the walk animation)
    Death Time: 1.70
    Death Time (Alternate): 1.00

- Height of the alternate is better set to around 200, but it is adaptable
    - Set it to a mechanical unit so it won't decay twice​

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  15. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Eh, alright, my participation has been withdrawn for the sake of fairness. :I
    It's still available in the resource section for those who wish to download it.

Anyhow, the countdown continues. 5 hours left, people.

Maybe the next contest could be a paired contest? I really enjoyed participating in this one. ;P
    Oh and HappyCockroach, it's about skill, not will. I would never make it in time if I tried.

I got multiple detailed models frozen in a WIP stage because I can't get animations working as I'd like and I've worked months trying to animate just one. The Goblin Tradeprince Mech.

16. Solu9

Solu9

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think it's a bad move to withdraw your entry.
    It might be an unwritten rule, but it's not an actual rule. Whether it should or should not be is irrelevant for the sake of this particular contest.
    Though I agree it should probably be written into the ruleset when the next contest begins.

17. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Wait, so I shouldn't withdraw the entry? I'm getting confused.

18. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As far as I know, there has never been a contest where teamwork was allowed and it was not explicitly stated. As much as it pains me, I'm afraid this really shouldn't be allowed. It just feels wrong to me.
    However, we barely have any entries, so it would probably be best to keep MiniMage's entry... Maybe the judges can decide. Or perhaps he should get less points for animation because he didn't make them himself, I don't know.

19. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Seriously, should I set up a poll or something? Because I'm getting a lot of mixed messages. First I hear I should withdraw. So I do, then I am told I shouldn't. XD

Countdown continues, 3 hours and 21 minutes left.

20. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually took the chance and added some bullshit particle explosion to the death anims and some attack and death sounds, which I didn't even hear ingame :D
    It's something... :p

(I updated my Final post 2 pages back)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.