• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 24 - FEELS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26

152290-albums5657-picture59084.png

152290-albums5657-picture59086.png

-All these FEELS-
Contestants should make a model that represents
an emotion or feeling. Use symbolism, metaphors.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
    • This includes, but is not limited to, using other people's work (partially or otherwise) without express permission
  • You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  • You may make as many models as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
  • To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and a screenshot of the model.
  • You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  • You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.
  • Your model must have these minimum animations:
    • Attack
    • Death
    • Decay
    • Portrait
    • Stand
    • Walk
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

The Judge's score shall be taken out of 50 points for the following categories

MESH
The geometry of the model, the wireframe that gives your model a physical form and silhouette. Does the shape look clean or deformed? Are all ends capped, are there any stray faces, etc?
The movement of your model. The animations give your model life, character, a personality. Are these animations smooth or choppy? Are they organic or cold and robotic, was this intended? Do the animations deform or clip parts of the mesh?
The skin, or texture of a model expresses many important aspects of the character. Is the texture well made; is it blurry, does it have a pleasant color scheme, does it have detail, etc? Or, if blizzard textures were used, how well was it wrapped? Are there parts that are clipped, misaligned or stretched?
The Overall concept of your model, it's essence. Is this a creative idea? Or, if the general idea has been used before, how has the creator 'made it his own'? What has he added to make it special, or different from the ones that have come before him?
Does this model work ingame, in all aspects of wc3? Is it visible when imported, is the texture pathname hard to import, are chunks of the mesh loose and flying around, is the texture the correct proportion, is the model a relatively manageable size (in kilobytes), do all the animations play properly ingame, do all the particles/ribbon emitters work, and so on. How well does this model fit in wc3? would it be useful in a map or would it look better in crysis 2?
The ol' "razzle-dazzle". Special effects add a factor of 'shock and awe'. Particle emitters, ribbon emitters, and sometimes geometry (such as shockwave planes or 3d-debris) are part of the animation process, but their implementation is less essential. However, good effects can greatly increase the quality of a model.
Final Score will be taken out of...

Judge's Score
Public Poll
60%40%

judges.png

If you would like to judge the contest simply make a post in this thread stating so.
You need to be a user who is knowledgeable in the process of
modeling, animating, UV wrapping, and creating particles; and who is known to judge objectively;

- Judge Fudge -
- Judge Dredd -

prizes.png
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

1st

[50] reputation points and
your entry on an award icon
2st
[35] reputation points
and an award icon
3st
[20] reputation points
and an award icon

:BEGINS:
:ENDS:
JUNE
26th
AUGUST
07th
+ 3 (2012 Event) = 10th + 2 + 7 = 20th of August + 7 = 27th of August (FINAL)
You have 7 weeks, 49 days, or 1176
hours to complete your submission.

entries.png

I will list the participants here as they enter

Participant
StatusProgress
Anarchianbedlam and Red We got all the feels
Pyramidhe@d Feels the feels you've never feeled
Shamanyouranus Feels you up
-Peper- Searching for feels
Supa Feels good about his ideas
-Grendel Feels he got the skeelzWIP1 | WIP2
Happycockroach Feels like a happycock
Epsilon Is into his feels
Deolrin Can guess the feels of others
Wandering Soul Initiating Feels
Eubz Feels up to a challenge
Retrosexual Being blind feels bad
MaTiJa97 Wants to feel again
PROXY Grabbin feels Concept | WIP1
Ghostthuster Doesnt know his feels
vermillion edict revellion feels angry

:OPTIONALLY PAIRED:
:REPUTATION INCENTIVES:

This modeling contest is OPTIONALLY PAIRED.
Meaning that if you choose, you may pair up with 1 (and
only one) other user to create your submission. For example,
you can have 1 modeler and 1 texturer; or 1
geometry/animator and 1 particle worker, etc. any
combination is acceptable, be sure to describe what each
team member did in your final submission.

and as a small side note, if a user wanted to team up
with two separate people for this contest (i.e. a texture
artist making 2 skins for 2 contestants, or a particle worker
helping 2 people), then in the unlikely event that both
teams win, the user who worked on 2 teams would only
get the larger sum award. (i.e. his 2 textures won 2nd and
3rd place, so he only gets the second place rep award).....
and no duplicate teams, wise-ass

To promote higher quality entries and self improvement, all entries are now
illegible to be awarded rep based on whether or not certain incentives are
met, regardless of their placement in the actual contest. If a contestant
shows effort beyond the minimum requirements to be accepted as an entry,
that person will be rewarded with rep. Examples include but are not limited
to, 1 rep for each custom and properly made animation, 2 rep if the model
includes a properly made custom texture, 2 rep if the model includes an
entirely custom and properly made mesh. These secondary rewards are
separate from the main 1st, 2nd and 3rd placements, they can be awarded
to however many people fulfill them.

POLL | RESULTS

Last edited by a moderator:
I've finished the basic mesh, and will be figuring out the effects before animating.

For reference, the coffin, and specifically the little ghostly figure cradled inside it represent the conscience of The Furious. When it is dropped or disposed of, the shackles are destroyed, and it becomes violent.

Attachments

• TheFurious.PNG
    TheFurious.PNG
    70.2 KB · Views: 171
  • TheFurious2.PNG
    TheFurious2.PNG
    63.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Level 26
more wips!

01 => Alternate mesh
02 => Normal mesh

i'll add some details after animating it

----- EDIT -----
pictures are too big and i don't know how to hide them........ just look at the attached files

ehhh which emotions are those again?
"oh im feeling rather angel today" as opposed to "i feel demon"
these feels... what are these feels?

i told someone, before this contest started, that there are 2 ways people could approach this contest theme.

one would be a person would actually design an entity that symbolises an emotion

another would be a person just making a model and tagging it with an arbitrary name that is related to emotion.

i also told that someone, people will almost all take the second approach. thereby rendering the theme meaningless.

PS:
i wasn't tinking when i started modeling....
now i have another idea for the model itself, but the concept will be the same
well...like i was saying.
---------------------------------------------
I've begun animating The Furious, will be keeping The Conscience model hidden until the coffin opens in other animations.

The unwanted stretching of the elbow and knees'll be fixed when I'm closer to finishing the model.
Conscience is not an emotion. its a moral point of view that is affected by amalgamation of emotions deriving from social influences.

guilt is an emotion.
-----------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion
here is a list of emotions, on the side, for you to choose at whim.
=---------------------------------------------
@-Grendel : your pic aint showing.

My first idea involved a happy little girl skipping about, using her teddy bear as a weapon.

And then this concept quickly devolved as I got the idea to make her split in half from the top of her head to about the middle of her gut, into a bloody mass of teeth and gore. I really wanna do that, but I dunno exactly what emotion it would be portraying.

Level 22
It will be a creature, that is like a frog and a dog combined, except it has no front legs. It will have horns, and its body will be somewhat phallic. The 'head' is its...head, and it will have a huge grin and large horns. There will black tattoos all over its body.

So? Where's exactly the horny part?
I had to scrap the empty-last-knight idea because it won't make any sense. I have to think for another concept. A girl, carrying an umbrella, sitting?

Level 49
My first idea involved a happy little girl skipping about, using her teddy bear as a weapon.

And then this concept quickly devolved as I got the idea to make her split in half from the top of her head to about the middle of her gut, into a bloody mass of teeth and gore. I really wanna do that, but I dunno exactly what emotion it would be portraying.

terror perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.