• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Milkshape Attachment Modeling

Milkshape Attachment Modeling

By HappyTauren/TotallyAwesome

Introduction

Many have seen attachments models made by me and kept asking me how I do it. That is why I decided to write this tutorial. Keep in mind that the texturing part is not included in this tutorial, though I will show you how to unwrap your model here.

Part one: Preparation

1. What do you need?
-Milkshape 3D, a low polygon modeler mainly made for Half Life, but has a proper exporter for mdx/mdl;
-Guesst's ms3d exporter, which you unzip and put into ms3d directory;
-Warcraft3 Viewer;
-Some paint program , you can use either MSPaint, or download GIMP;
-Very basic or no knowledge of milkshape 3D (in which case you have to figure some things out by yourself).

2. Now that you are all set, lets start!

Part two: Reference image

1. Lets say you want to make a sword. First, you will have to draw it, like this:
Start up paint, make a new bmp file, and modify attributes so that they match power of 2, meaning image resolution could be 128X512, 64X128 and so on, warcraft 3 resolutions. Click okay.
attributes 1.jpgattributes 2.jpg

2.Then, fill the image with dark blue colour (so you can see vertices). Then you will get something like this:
blue screen.jpg

3.After that has been made, pick up red colour and start drawing your sword!
First you should draw an outline, which looks like this:
sword drawing 2.jpg

4.Then, as we know that swords are not really flat, you should make indents somewhere! Okay, the image is complete!
sword drawing 3.jpg

Part three: Modeling the mesh in Milkshape3D

1.Open the milkshape. The only tools you will need for this are marked in RED, you only need "Vertex" and "Face" buttons. This is milkshape interface:
ms3d1.jpg

2.Now you have to use your reference picture. To do this, just right click on the first field and select "Choose background image". Then click the ">>" Button and find the image on your hard drive, in this case, "Sword.bmp" placed on desktop.
ms3d2.jpgms3d3.jpg

3.You are all set! Now you an start creating your mesh. Use the "Vertex" tool (on the right panel) and start placing vertices on the "hot spots" What is a hot spot? It is a place where few edges collide, for example like in the picture, or when edge is curved too much (those green points are "hot spots". Make sure to use "wireframe overlay" view (right click > wireframe overlay).
ms3d4.jpgms3d5.jpg

4.Now, when vertices are placed, you need to make faces on them. You do this by selecting three vertices, in counter-clockwise rotation. You will get something like this:
ms3d6.jpg

5.Now you have finished adding anything. Change background image to blank. Now select ALL indented vertices (the ones you placed on the inner red lines. Then look at the window on the right. Use move feature, locking all axis BUT "Y" (to lock an axis, just click its letter on the right panel, e.g "X","Y","Z")
ms3d7.jpg

6.You have got sword finished, but it is one sided. To make it have the other side as well, you must duplicate it (CTRL+D) and then go to Vertex > Mirror front-back. Now weld it (CTRL+W). After that, go to groups, click both groups and click regroup. Now rightclick and select "Smooth shaded". You will see your model actually has a fill. So the geometry of the model is actually complete!
ms3d8.jpg

7. Now you have to change material and texture coordinates. This will be easy, just go to "materials" tab on right panel and click new. Then click small blank button a little up it (the first one!) and find your Sword.bmp texture. Then select all (CTRL+A) and doubleclick this material. Material is created. Now just go to Window>Texture Coordinate Editor and select "front" in small box. Then click remap.You will notice that your model is a bit bigger than the wrap but use scaling to get it to the right place (untill red lines on texture and on the selection are even!). This is what should it look like:
ms3d9.jpg
Now exit texture coordinate editor and returns to ms3d. This is what it should look like:
ms3d10.jpg

8.Now the major thing: Make it usable in wc3! First set up rotation. To do this, click rotation tab on the right panel and you will see 3 values near the botton, x,y and z. Set X=-90,Y=90 and Z=0. Now click rotate two times (the button right those three). Now the model has correct facing.

Part four: Exporting

1.It is time to export your new model to wc3. Go to "File>Export>Wc3MDLX beta 10" and then choose a location where you want to save it (remember to put MODELNAME.mdl when you are choosing name!!).

2. Now open this mdl in notepad, and search for "white.blp". Replace it with "Modelname.blp". Now you have to convert texture from ".bmp" to ".blp". To do this, use Warcraft3 Model Viewer and find button on the upper panel, right, that says something like "TGA>BLP", upside down. Click it. You will be prompted for quality settings, select 50, and it will say that you are missing alpha channel, asking you to add it, you say yes.

3. Now your texture is exported. Rename it (if it is not already) MODELNAME.blp and put in same folder as model is. Then import both of them ingame and delete "war3mapimported\" off the texture's filename.

4. Now, the only thing that the model lacks is a suitable texture. To read some tutorials, follow those links:
-(THW) 2D Art Tutorials
-(WC3C) 2D Art Tutorials (Skinning)

Last edited:
Level 2
Hehe, Redfuser just made his second model thanks to this tutorial, I guess.
But someone knows how to get 'adobe photoshop' free? because I don't have one.
I can only make models but not texturing them... =/

Level 4
How do you use more than one texture on a model with milkshape? I tried using 2 different materials but when i exported it only had textures 1 white.blp, i didn't see a place to put the second one.

[nvm I figured it out]
You just add a second texture in the mdl file and change the material id to reference the second texture.
Code:
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\white.blp",
	}
}

becomes

Code:
Textures 2 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\whatever.blp",
	}
       Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\yaddayadda.blp",
	}

but then you have to change the materials part to match the texture..

static TextureID 0,
static TextureID 1,

Level 4
very well done tutorial and it looks very helpful although, how do you add COLOUR to the sword!?!?!?

P.S why does the bottom of the handle look disturbing?! in the first picture o_O

P.P.S why do does the bottom of the handle look even more disturbing when you put dots in them XD

Level 27
My guess is you didn't use proper face culling when making this. well, the easiest way to do fix this (although not the best and most effective way) would be to go into your material manager in magos, then double click on your material, then on the material layer. Inside, you should see the checkbox flag for "Two-Sided". Check that, and you should be good.
--donut3.5--

Level 27
When you make a model and use the face tool, they must be created in a counter-clockwise order (meaning click on the vertices in a counter clockwise order)
To correct this, you can select every improperly culled face and press Ctrl+Shift+F, or go up to the Face menu and select Reverse Vertex Order (I think that's the command)
--donut3.5--

Level 1
4.Now, when vertices are placed, you need to make faces on them. You do this by selecting three vertices, in counter-clockwise rotation. You will get something like this:

I'm a noob and I really got lost here, anyone think they can explain a bit more, or show me? would appreciate it a lot =) otherwise nice tutorial

+rep if I can get past the 4th part and succeed in actually making the sword ^^ :thumbs_up:

Level 1
Help!!!

Ok, I went to download Milk Shape, but i got a newer version that doest work the same way. I cant "choose background image"!!!! What do i do?:csad:

Level 1
Ohhhhhh......

OK, got it now. apparently, I was using the wrong field. I tried using the one in the tutorial, but it wouldn't allow me to make the background image. so, im using the one on top of it. :infl_thumbs_up:

>.<... OK, new problem.... The MS3D Exporter/Importer thing doesn't work. u cant dl the correct file. theyre all updates...
ohhh.... nvm

Last edited:
Level 10
I followed this tutorial to make my first model and it worked out pretty well..but i have a question...

first of all..when i imported my model in mdl format it didnt show up in warcraft, so i converted it to mdx, then it showed...but when i attached it a villagers hand...the sword was facing backwards, and it was attached in like the middle...

is there something i need to do to tell this model should be attached at the HANDLE not in the middle and that it shouldnt face backwards...it looks weird...please help someone...thank you :)

Level 30
I replaces the white.blp with my models name and then .blp and so I converted it to blp with the viewer program but it shows up as 0kb and when I import it to wc3 the model has no texture. Also I tried reversing the blp back to bmp and then it turned up to be an empty picture so something is wrong when i convert to blp pls help :( +rep for help

EDIT: I tried converting the image to TGA first and then Convert to BLP and now I can see the image in the viewer at least and it now take more space than 0kb but still the weapon is untextured :(

EDIT again: I fixed it, nevermind. Although now I wan't to upload my model because I'm pretty happy I was able to do such a model and I want to show it but I can't upload models made in milkshape? check my thread http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/modeling-and-animation-276/cant-upload-milkshape-model-145671/

Attachments

• imageshack.jpg
    imageshack.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Level 1
Duplication?

The duplication, mirroring, and welding parts arent working. plz help me. It will be my first model!:confused:

Nvm, my dad helped.

Well... crud..... i finished it but the export wasnt there AND it said i had to pay....

Last edited:
Level 3
6.You have got sword finished, but it is one sided. To make it have the other side as well, you must duplicate it (CTRL+D) and then go to Vertex > Mirror front-back. Now weld it (CTRL+W). After that, go to groups, click both groups and click regroup. Now rightclick and select "Smooth shaded". You will see your model actually has a fill. So the geometry of the model is actually complete

Everything is going fine until I reach the 6th part I can't seem to weld them somehow it won't fuse together please tell me what's the problem~?

Last edited: